Our Mother the Mountain

By averysexyleon

Almost a year after arriving in the village, Ethan Winters has done the unthinkable--he touched the fungal ro... More

Prologue
2. Visitors
3. Records
4. Goodnight
5. Fight
6. Ours
7. Sorrow
8. Bloom
9. Almost Perfect Night
10. Moreau's Crystal
11. Jochen
12. Pilgrimage
13. Let You Down
14. Family
16. Programming
17. Garage Talk
18. I Am That I Am
19. Box Tie
20. Origin Of A God
21. I See You
22. Remembering
23. We Feed It Dreams
24. Fortunes
25. Take A Chance On Me
26. Uncovering
27. Beloved By Monsters
28. Nietzsche
29. Gardenia Perfume
30. Dorothea Rose Winters
31. Binding Ritual
32. Swamp Justice
33. Ethan W.
34. Harmonics
35. Dreaming
36. The Truth Unveils
37. The Question
38. Passt Schon
39. Dawning
40. Past the Liquid Void
41. The Bench and the Owl
42. Gathered Pieces
43. Hammer Fall
44. The Garage
45. The Forest's Dark Heart
46. The Purifying Crystal
47. A Winter Masquerade
48. The Call of the Wild
49. Kingly Confessions
50. Our Mother, the Mountain

15. Winters Lodge

12 1 0
By averysexyleon

Chapter Text

TEN MONTHS EARLIER

Ethan wanted nothing more than to cuddle silently, and listen to the rain on his car roof. It would have been the perfect time to unwind, post-backseat-car-sex, but his abrupt visitor had other plans as he leaned into the taller man's chest. Ethan was draped over the seat, his head back.

"Not just that,–y-you had to change some of the drive line parts."

His thick legs were propped up on Ethan's lap, his smooth tan skin still slippery with sweat. Ethan had to stop himself from running his hands down the other man's legs yet again; he couldn't seem to get enough of him. Even though he couldn't quite remember where they'd met. Here, wasn't it? On this beach. When, though? It felt like forever ago. He was crazy about Karl. Just...not at the moment. At the moment, Ethan's stare was more of a glare as he raised his head and stared past Karl, out Lily's windshield. His gaze unfocused at the gale that still stranded them beside the highway.

"Struts. Springs. Tie Rods. You're tellin' me you did that all by yourself."

Heisenberg had a beer in his hand from Ethan's trunk cooler. Ethan didn't know how the other could stand an icy beer when a freezing thunderstorm raged overhead, and even sex hadn't warmed his chilled skin. Leather seats didn't help; they were icy too.

"Why is it so hard for you to believe I did the Hemi swap?" Ethan had laughed the first time, but now he scowled, his piercing hazel eyes demanding an answer. Karl chuckled again at the dour expression. Ethan rolled his eyes, playing with the compass necklace he'd been given. "It's my car. In case you didn't notice, I make a lot of money."

"It's not about the money, Winters...I can tell by your shoes that you've got money."

"What's wrong with my shoes–"

"It's just a hard swap to do yourself, that's all."

"Do you think I'm dumb?"

"Never. I think you're a snob."

"A WHAT!"

"A snob with money to pay somebody else to do it. Afraid to get dirty. Look at those nails."

Karl slipped his rough hands around the pale digits, and before the blond could get too angry, Karl had kissed the back of Ethan's hand. Ethan had to acknowledge that his hands were smooth, his nails trimmed and even, no calluses or peeling skin. Compared to Heisenberg's, they looked like aristocratic hands. He pulled his fingers out of Heisenberg's grasp (and mouth) with another scowl, eliciting a wolfish grin from the other.

"I avoid getting dirty, but I don't mind it, if what I'm doing is worth it. I'm not afraid ."

"Love your car that much, huh?"

Ethan took the beer from Heisenberg's hand. "Yeah." He drank, wondering why it felt so empty, so...like nothing. Not that he liked beer-he didn't, really, but this one seemed to lack any distinguishing flavor. That was odd. "Cars are...more dependable than..." his dad. His ex. All of his exes. Himself?

"...people."

"Not with a wet distributor, jackass."

"That one's on me." Ethan actually laughed aloud-he'd been gotten by that one. It was his fault; he hadn't considered rain–it was California, goddammit. Dumb move. Heisenberg's satisfied grin was worth the self-deprecating comment. Ethan met the other man's eyes. He was caught, his gaze flickering back and forth between the dancing green irises. Karl wasn't making fun of him, he realized for the hundredth time. Karl was genuinely delighted: both by Ethan's sour demeanor, and his long-awaited smiles. It seemed the blond could do no wrong to him. He remembered something Karl had said the last time they met, and mentioned it at the other man's lovestruck gaze.

"You really do like when I laugh?"

"I do."

There was a moment of silence, and Ethan quipped, "Sounds like you're practicing vows." His cheeks instantly flamed. Why t h e f u c k had he said that? Ethan's eyes widened in horror and he wrenched away the beer, chugging it.

"Maybe I am."

The glass went slack in his hand and Karl plucked it away from him, finishing the last drops and licking his lips. This gesture was done in a more-than-playful way, but Ethan had a serious question.

"Would you....consider. One day." He already regretted asking, when Heisenberg looked away, laughing, his eyes reflecting the rain and the oddly purple clouds. "In the future, obviously...I mean...uh, with the right person, just in general, would you ever..."

Karl finally tilted his head back to Ethan, putting his thumb over the blond's lips. "Sure, one day."

—------------------

Ethan's Journal

October 22

Well, I've decided on a name. I thought Karl would laugh at me like he always does but he was sweet about it. He smiled and said it was perfect.

Winters Lodge.

That isn't too cheesy, right? The name isn't about ME–I was thinking about Rosemary. Evie, too. (I haven't asked her if she wants my last name...but I will soon.)

Eva found Alcina's documents in her quarters, she gave everything left to her, to the girls. I can't believe that two kids now own a castle. Or will, when they're older. I figured anything we build should also be considered theirs. They're everything to me.

So I had to choose what to do with the money Karl spent on the land. A lodge is a perfect idea. Nothing too flashy, and it will make good use of the cabins they're planning to build. Once Miranda's gone we can open up the road and let people come enjoy nature. Salvatore was on board immediately. He wants to be in charge of stocking the river for fishing; he knows all about the local permits. I don't think I've ever seen him so excited, not even after he finished the Notebook or when we found halloumi cheese at the store.

Karl wasn't sure about the idea until I reminded him how it would piss Miranda off to know he'd built a place for strangers to stay, safely, in her former territory. Obviously I wouldn't even consider opening until we know she's gone for good. We're closer than ever.

But it's been pretty crazy to watch the construction; there's work on the sluice and work on the buildings, like they're trying to outpace each other. Alina said they're working fast because they're terrified of the things they hear at night. They also seem to think I'm in a relationship with Moreau too, which isn't funny to me, but he thinks it's hilarious. I can't even go down there without him calling me honey really loud in front of the workers.

I've been working with Alina and some of the others in our little mini-village down in the valley. They want to sell their art and crafts mostly, but some of them want to share culture on social media, and have a place for online community. I think it's a great idea. (Karl made a noise and walked away, which I expected.)

It feels great to get back to work, in a way–none of this is for a profit for me, I'm just trying to help them. We started having meetings a few times a week where I teach them the basics. Jochen likes those too, he is fascinated with computers. I've built a few starter websites for them. Of course, the foreman heard about that and started asking me if I could help him start his own construction business (presumably so the state can't tell him to go work around a bunch of vampires and werewolves.)

I should probably print some business cards soon.

Ethan closed the journal and chewed on the pencil eraser until Eva's singsong voice interrupted his thoughts. "Ethan? Dinner!"

"Be right there," Ah shit , he'd meant to help her cook-he was in the middle of learning a new recipe, but when he started writing about the plans for the lodge, Ethan lost track of time. She appeared in the doorway moments later. Ethan meekly shrugged at her raised eyebrows. "I'm so sorry. I was gonna come and help."

"I think we have managed," she teased, and then paused in the doorway. "I have been wondering."

Ethan stood and yawned, crossing his arms as he made his way toward her. "Sounds dangerous."

Eva's giggle was fairylike. She seemed endlessly amused by the 'new' Ethan.

That is, the Ethan who carried a part of the Black God within him, and also single handedly reversed a century old curse on the lake that he'd stepped into (like a moron) months ago. That Ethan was very cocky, energetic, and assured. Though Ethan didn't know she had the frame of reference, his recent demeanor reminded Eva of how his stored consciousness was. In the Mold realm. A younger Ethan, before Dulvey. Very ambitious, close with nature, perhaps a bit incapable of keeping his thoughts inside his blond head.

He leaned in the doorway, facing her. "Wondering about...?"

"The voices." She tilted her head. It had been some time since they spoke of their connection. Since Jochen's abrupt arrival into the world-having two Heisenbergs around was as loud, chaotic, and distracting as everyone imagined it would be. Maybe even worse. So time to talk had been scant.

"They seem different, do they not? Perhaps more voices, but more...meandering. It is as if they cannot agree or speak as well as they could before."

"I don't know, I mostly hear them when I sleep," Ethan confessed, and raised an eyebrow. "They don't talk as much with this uh, thing, in me." His fingers trailed across his ribcage as if he could pet it.

"Interesting. I wonder if it was so with my mother. If the Black God drowns out the collective consciousness."

He had no answer to that, but Eva pressed, "We never figured out why they wanted us to go to the crypt! I have asked, but received no answer. I thought it was for the crystal buried there, but it was..."

"Not there," he finished. "I don't know what that was about either. Maybe they just wanted us to bury the body?"

"But why?"

He shrugged. She ran a finger over her lips. Slowly, a smirk made its way onto her face, which made Ethan smile in return. "What? You're thinking something. You're thinkinggg..." he closed his eyes. "You're thinking we go to that secret area in the castle where Miranda worked with Alcina. The religious library you told me about."

Her tiny clap did not stave off his exaggerated eye roll. "Of course."

"But perhaps, in the daytime."

"You don't want the workers to miss out on the chance to see another dragon?"

"I believe we er...ended the one she had the ability to summon."

"Fair enough. Tomorrow morning?"

"It's a date."

Ethan sighed in loud, mock annoyance, and put his arm around her shoulders as they exited the room, moving toward the kitchen. "You're going to make my hair as grey as Karl's."

The voice replied from the parlor, where Eva had forced him to move his current project. "It's called the silver fox, Winters, an' yooou wish."

Eva had another burning question. "How is Zoe?"

"She only sent me three angry texts today. She's coming around to Evie."

"Oh! That's good. I......think?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.7K 1.8K 34
Three years ago, your sister and her husband moved to Romania after... the Incident in Louisiana. The Winters have been living peaceful lives under t...
45.6K 546 44
After Lord heisenbergs death at the hands of ethan winters he fell into hell
105K 3.2K 46
READ THIS BEFORE READING!!! Is this game even relevant any more I still love it lmao. The context is that you are Ethan and Mia Winters' eldest daugh...
11.7K 219 10
we're here again boiiis, another hyperfixation dropped on my husk of a mental state. it says resident evil but we all know I'm doing this for my newe...