swan song โ”โ” regulus black

By bIoodflood

'How to Ruin Your Life in the Miserable Attempt of Stopping Voldemort,' a two-man show by Fianna Lupin and Re... More

๐ฌ๐ฐ๐š๐ง ๐ฌ๐จ๐ง๐ 
๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ฉ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ฌ ๐ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ
๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฎ๐๐ž.
๐จ๐ง๐ž. fifi the hatstall
๐ญ๐ฐ๐จ. a bird less grandiose
๐ญ๐ก๐ซ๐ž๐ž. marauder by association
๐Ÿ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ. ... death eater by association?
๐Ÿ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž. death & the empress
๐ฌ๐ข๐ฑ. almond croissants for all
๐ฌ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ง. you're on your own, kid
๐ž๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ. what once was
๐ญ๐ž๐ง. swan-diving & stars
๐ž๐ฅ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ง. gryffindor vs slytherin
๐ญ๐ฐ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฏ๐ž. songbird
๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ซ๐ญ๐ž๐ž๐ง. the wheel of fortune
๐Ÿ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ญ๐ž๐ž๐ง. romeo, oh romeo
๐Ÿ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ญ๐ž๐ž๐ง. wax wings
๐ฌ๐ข๐ฑ๐ญ๐ž๐ž๐ง. the prefect's bathroom
๐ฌ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐ž๐ž๐ง. king of everything

๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ž. the house of black

2.8K 191 264
By bIoodflood

IX —— the house of black

🦢

          BUT HOW DO YOU DESTROY A HORCRUX? Fianna keeps on thinking about it the next day, and the day after, and the day after. She rarely thought about their existence until Sunday night — and now, her mind keeps on drifting to Horcruxes. How you make them, why you'd make them, what object she'd personally use to make one. Awfully, Fianna wonders who out of Voldemort's presumably long list of victims was the one that became the Horcrux catalyst. Maybe his first? That would make sense, surely his soul can't split again after he's already killed. But who did he kill first...?

She doesn't like it, but a few times since that night, her and Regulus have wandered to the Shrieking Shack after curfew, to try and think about a game plan. As she expected, the library doesn't have a single book on Horcruxes, and even if it did, she knows they'd raise suspicion. It's one of the most taboo magics out there, and for that reason, she feels paranoid, just talking about them this frequently. It's superstitious of her, too, but even thinking about Horcruxes... It makes her feel funny, like her own soul will become corrupted.

"I think it's no use," says Regulus, two Friday evenings after that Sunday.

They're sitting at the top of the Astronomy Tower, having spent the evening before charming the place so nothing can magically eavesdrop. (Fianna doubted this anyway, but Regulus insisted, understandably paranoid.) She did suggest them going to her dorm room, because she didn't think a Death Eater would be able to plant anything in the Gryffindor common room, but Regulus refused to step foot in Gryffindor Tower. "I will melt," he said, like when he sat at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. So instead, after Quidditch practice, Fianna met Regulus up here, away from the rest of the school.

"I think you're a pessimist," says Fianna. She's spent the past ten minutes shuffling her deck of tarot cards; wanting to get better at it, she's been practising whenever she has free time. Plus, she likes the excitement of it, seeing what cards fall out. So far, nothing's jumped out for her... Although she doesn't know what she's expecting, or asking from them.

"Cynical, yes," says Regulus. "I can be optimistic about things, selectively."

"That's so depressing," she says. "I think it's nice to hope for the best."

"I don't like being disappointed," says Regulus.

"Well, that's life, buckaroo," says Fianna, rolling her eyes.

Regulus is lying down on the floor, next to the balcony overlooking the grounds, the Forbidden Forest in the near distance. Fianna is a metre away, her legs crossed and her hands focused on shuffling the cards. He was looking up at the stars — as melodramatically as Lord Byron would — but buckaroo makes him look at Fianna, raising an eyebrow.

"You're so weird," he says.

"I'm literally not," she says back. "And anyway... There must be something out there, that'll explain what a Horcrux is. Doesn't your family like weird shit like this? Maybe you've got a book hidden away somewhere?"

"I'm not certain, to be honest — this is the kind of magic that even Mother would disapprove of," says Regulus. Fianna looks across at him, just as he returns the glance. The small smile appears across his lips. "I know."

A tarot card falls into Fianna's lap: the Devil, showing a man and a woman, separated by a cloaked devil figure. The card is almost identical to the pack's Lovers card, only this time, the woman has dark hair like the man. Fianna frowns for a moment, and turns to Regulus.

"Would the Lestranges have a book on it?"

"Probably," says Regulus.

It takes him a second to realise what Fianna's suggesting. He sits up and looks at her, his brows knitting together in concern.

"We won't be able to get away with that," says Regulus. "If they realise what we're doing—"

"We're meant to be in love, right?" says Fianna. "We can do what we did in the train, just pretend we fucked off somewhere quiet to, well, fuck. We'll sneak off during the engagement party, have a look around their study or library or whatever their mansion has—"

"Library," says Regulus. "Bellatrix showed me a few weeks ago."

"Perfect, so you know where it is," says Fianna.

Regulus frowns. "I don't know..."

Fianna frowns. "Do you want to destroy the Horcrux or not?"

"Well, yeah, but if—"

"Don't be such a baby," says Fianna. "You wanted to destroy it, that's why you don't want to be a Death Eater anymore. There's going to be fifty million times where we might get caught. We can't just swan in and destroy a Horcrux without zero risk."

"I think you could," says Regulus.

Fianna scowls. "Don't be funny," she says. "I think our best bet is to sneak into the Lestrange's library at the engagement party. What do you think?"

Regulus takes a minute, before he sighs, "I suppose."

The Lovers and The Tower fall out. Fianna scoops them back up before Regulus notices — or before she can comprehend that God-awful assumption.

🦢

          THE EVENING OF THE LESTRANGE'S engagement party eventually arrives. Fianna spends the night before stressing about what to wear; by the time she fell asleep, her and Georgia's floor was covered in both of their wardrobes, both trying to figure out the best outfit to wear to a Death Eater's engagement party. Fianna feels like black is a must, which seems depressing for an engagement party, but Regulus said he'd be in his black formal robes.

She ended up deciding on her black mini dress, the one with long sleeves that flare out at the wrists, covering her palms, her fingers peeking out to reveal the burgundy nail polish Georgia insisted upon. She normally wears this dress with her knee-high boots, but decides on her heeled Mary Janes to make it a little more formal, paired with black tights to make the short dress seem a little less short.

Fianna blasts Fleetwood Mac on her record player for emotional support whilst she does her makeup. She pulls the top half of her hair into a half-up, half-down, adding a big black bow to the back, her favourite hairstyle since getting a fringe.

"I still have time to stab you and give you a reason not to go," says Georgia.

Fianna raises an eyebrow, looking at Georgia's reflection, lying on her bed, through the vanity mirror.

"I could just... make up an excuse, if I wanted to cancel?" says Fianna.

Georgia shakes her head. "No, those vultures will need evidence."

"I've never met Bellatrix before," says Fianna. "Do you think she'll have to be nice to me?"

"I don't think Death Eaters play nice," says Georgia. "And no, me neither... She's like, ten years older than us, right?"

"I think that's what Remus said," says Fianna, and after a pause, adds, "I haven't told him about tonight."

"I told James," says Georgia.

Fianna whips around in her chair, and goes, "What? When?"

Georgia frowns. "The other day! I'm not letting you walk into a house of Death Eaters without the Order knowing! I'm sorry, I hate snitching but it was making me worry—"

"No, it's fine," says Fianna. Honestly, her nerves feel a little better, at the thought that someone might be looking out for her tonight... Aside from her traitor fake-boyfriend, but there's not much he can do. "I guess I should've let Remus know."

"I'm sure it'll be fine," says Georgia. "Actually, no. I think this is going to be a terrible night for you, but you'll get through it. I can't believe I'm saying this, but just stay with Black. You'd hope he'd protect you..." Georgia pauses, frowning. "Does he know you're a half-blood?"

"I presume so," says Fianna. "He knew about Remus—"

"WHAT?"

"I didn't tell him!" says Fianna. "He just came out with it, the other night!"

"What, he just figured it out? And didn't tell his death-eating friends?"

Fianna freezes for a second. She's said too much. She hates lying to Georgia, but she knows how paranoid Regulus is about anyone finding out about him wanting to leave the Death Eaters...

"No, he hasn't told anyone..." says Fianna. "Please don't tell anyone—"

"Why wouldn't he want people to know?" says Georgia.

"Because—Because—"

Fianna feels stumped. What does she say to that, that doesn't reveal Regulus' treachery to the Death Eaters? She can't say that Regulus was looking out for his brother because he won't want that out there. And if Georgia told James about this party... God, what does Fianna do?

"Is he not going to tell the Death Eaters, because of you?" says Georgia.

"I don't think I'm his moral compass..." Fianna says, uncomfortably.

"But if that's it, if you guys break up, what if he gets angry and tells the Death Eaters?" says Georgia, standing up. Fianna feels as though the walls are caving in on her; how can she take back the past minute? God, why did she even say that he knew? "Fee, I'm sorry, but this is too much. Remus needs to know — you don't seriously trust Black will protect him, do you?"

"Georgia, I shouldn't have told you this, I can't—"

"Why, is there another reason he wouldn't tell the Death Eaters?"

Fianna feels as if she's stepped into a nightmare.

Georgia's face drops. "Does he not agree with what they're doing anymore?"

"Georgia, stop," says Fianna.

"Oh my God, he doesn't," says Georgia.

Fianna feels as if she's going to faint. "Georgia, please—"

"Fianna, we have to tell—"

Fianna doesn't know how the next thirty seconds happen. One minute, she's feeling as if the room is getting smaller with each breath, like her heart is about to stop. And the next, her wand is grasped in her hand, pointing up at Georgia as the word, "Obliviate," leaves her mouth.

Fianna looks down at her wand in horror, as Georgia steps back, confused.

"When did I stand up?" says Georgia.

"Oh, uh..." Fianna pauses, quickly placing her wand on the vanity. "I can't remember... I zoned out, sorry, what were you saying?"

"Um, does Black know you're a half-blood?" says Georgia.

Fianna remembers the last minute, and shrugs. "I don't know. I've tried not to say."

"Fair enough," says Georgia, sitting back down. "Fuck, my head's pounding..."

Fianna wants to vomit. She stares at her reflection in the mirror, but her face looks wrong, like she's staring at someone else, someone evil and terrible and wicked. But she did do that, she did perform such an awful spell on her best friend, her closest friend in the whole world...

What has she done?

Georgia says something about needing to lie down, thinking a migraine is coming on, and Fianna wishes she could lock herself in the toilets and cry. She quickly excuses herself and leaves Gryffindor tower, her insides rotting away, guilt gnawing at her guts. She walks the route to where she agreed to meet Regulus, but the whole time her mind is spinning, asking her, why did she ever do that to her best friend...? 

"Are you OK?"

Fianna looks at Regulus, who's staring back at her, confused. Does she really look that guilty?

"I just cast a memory loss charm on Georgia," she blurts out.

Regulus frowns. "... Why?"

"She almost figured you out," says Fianna. "I don't know what happened, one minute she was talking, and the next, I guess I panicked and—"

"It's OK," says Regulus. "I won't tell anyone — and it isn't even an illegal charm."

"It should be illegal," says Fianna. "Changing someone's mind like that. I feel terrible."

"OK, well, you'll have something in common with everyone tonight," he says.

"That isn't funny," says Fianna, scowling. "Um, I'd say we use the secret tunnel to The Hog's Head, but others might be walking there soon with it being Saturday—"

"There's another closer to the dungeons," says Regulus.

Fianna looks at him, confused. "No there isn't."

"... Are you the master of secret tunnels?" says Regulus.

"No, but there isn't one near the dungeons on the map—"

"What map?"

Oh, fuck.

"... Our brothers made a map of the school. Don't tell anyone."

"I have more pressing secrets than our brothers making you a map? What, you still have it with you from first year—?"

"It's not a normal map! It's a special one!"

Regulus gives her a funny look. "... What, is it made with love or some shit?"

"No! ... Well, they'd say yes to that but no!" Fianna groans, and digs in her bag for the map. "It's enchanted. You can see where people are around Hogwarts."

"That doesn't sound that special," says Regulus.

"You're so obnoxious," she says, pulling her wand out from its hiding spot in her boot. Pointing her wand at the map, she sighs and goes, "I solemnly swear I'm up to no good."

"What are you—?"

"Be quiet," she says.

Back in his school days, Remus and his friends created an enchanted map of Hogwarts, which would only reveal itself to trustworthy recipients. On his browny-beige parchment, vintage-style decals would move across the paper's grooves, accurately tracking people within the school the map thought would be helpful for the user to track. Fianna sees Dumbledore in his office, Georgia in their dorm room, and Filch's cat on the floor below them. Next to Fianna Lupin stands Regulus Black.

"See? Magical map."

Regulus stands next to her, his head towering over hers. She can almost feel his breath coming from above her, but she tries to shake her nerves at their closeness, stepping backwards and disassembling the map with "Mischief managed."

"Where's this tunnel of yours, then?" she says.

"This way," says Regulus, leading the way to the castle dungeons.

Fianna cannot wait for this night to be over.

🦢

          THE LESTRANGES LIVE IN A MANSION in the north of England, separated from society by woods and hills and marshes. As Fianna stands in the foyer to the house, Salome tells her this, pointing to the oil paintings on the walls, landscapes of the greenery around the mansion. Fianna thinks it's weird, having pictures of what's outside the window (it feels like having a poster of the Eiffel Tower whilst living in Paris), but the pictures are pretty, so whatever.

There's dark-wood panelling covering the foyer's walls, the same wood sitting on the floor, peeking out beneath the ivy-green carpet. Salome greets them, wearing a black satin dress that she must've removed two ribs to fit into. It stops just before the floor, and lightly brushes from side-to-side as she walks in front of Fianna and Regulus, showing them around.

Salome points at the plum-painted walls, with portraits of dead Lestranges through the ages. There's one of a woman almost identical to Salome, in eighteenth century get-up, curly updo and all. "That's my namesake, Salome the First," says Salome the (presumably) Second. "She moonlighted as Marie Antoinette's fortune teller... Clearly she missed the one biggie there."

"I thought your family didn't like—?"

"Muggles?" says Salome. "Oh, we despise them. Royalty, however..."

Salome walks ahead of Fianna and Regulus, giving them an opportunity to exchange a glance. Fianna looks away, feeling like she might start to laugh at the hypocrisy.

"It's a beautiful place, Salome," says Fianna, trying to be polite.

"It is, isn't it? I don't want to move out... Rodolphus has always said he wants to move to France. He's the eldest, so if he forfeits his claim to this place, it'll become mine." Salome turns back to look at Fianna, and melodramatically rubs her hands together. "'Course, you won't need to worry about that. I suppose Grimmauld Place will become yours one day."

Fianna feels like she's been shot.

"What?" she says, her voice weak.

"Well, I mean, if you guys get married one day," says Salome. "It's not as if Sirius will inherit the place, will he?"

"I don't think we need to think about that... for a long time, Salome," says Regulus, clearly just as uncomfortable as Fianna. "Salazar."

"OK," says Salome, bored. "Well, let me show Fianna around. Can you look after yourself, Reggie?"

"I'm sure I'll cope," says Regulus, annoyed.

Salome steps towards Fianna, and takes her hand, walking her away from the great big hall the party seemed to be going on in. They walk further down the hallway, past the many, many portraits, as Salome talks about the lake nearby, and the greenhouse's collection of poisonous plants.

"If we could legally talk about it, it would be the best in Europe," says Salome. "We have a house-elf, Lilith, that cares for the greenhouse and the greenhouse only. I've started to help out, though. It's so interesting, how all of these potions and magical objects get their enchantments from the plants that make them up."

"I guess if the greenhouse is yours, you have a better argument to keep this place," says Fianna, trying to be friendly. She knows it hasn't been that long since Salome was at school with her, but Fianna feels as if she's struggling to remember how they got along, what they even talked about. She supposes it's largely started because Fianna sometimes wanted someone to complain about her brother to...

"Exactly my thinking, Fifi," says Salome with a sly smile. "Plus, you can never be too educated."

"Do you think you'll do any extra schooling, then, now that you've finished Hogwarts?" says Fianna, as Salome opens the doors into what seems like a drawing room. She doesn't really get how further education works in the wizarding world; Hogwarts pushes students into getting jobs, many of which include training, so knowledge for knowledge's sake is largely swept to the side. She's heard of some small universities though, dotted around Europe especially. She supposes Durmstrang and Beauxbatons are less career-centric.

Salome shrugs. "I like the sound of the courses in Paris, but I want to be here for the next few years..."

Fianna has to control herself, to stop her gaze from drifting to Salome's wrist. God, how can Fianna reply to that? Oh, wow, being a Death Eater and killing people sounds super cool! Fuck, she can't wait to sneak off, search the library for anything Horcrux-related, and go back to Hogwarts... back to the room she shares with her best friend, who's memory she took earlier because she realised Regulus doesn't want to be a Death Eater anymore. Fuck my life, Fianna thinks.

"Anyway, this is what I wanted to show you," says Salome, as the drawing room light switches on. On the wall opposite the fireplace, the plum wall is covered with strands of ivy, curling around small portraits of men, and flowers. Fianna can make out words in calligraphy. "The Blacks have the same wall, but it shows my family tree. Cool, right?"

"Very cool," says Fianna, stepping closer. "Whereabouts are you?"

"Oh, only men get their portraits on here," says Salome. "When I get this house, I'm going to add in portraits of the women. I might even give men the flowers instead, see how they like it."

Fianna smiles. "That would be funny," she agrees.

"And serve them right," says Salome, with a sneer.

In front of Fianna, she spots a light-pink flower with magenta edges on the petals. She thinks she's seen it in a Herbology textbook before, and presumes that means it's either magical or poisonous... Probably poisonous, considering Salome's previous spiel about poison and plants and blah blah blah. Below the flower, in cursive says, Salome II.

"Bellatrix will be added soon, and their children, if they have any," says Salome. "But we'll see about that, I suppose..." Fianna remembers Salome in school well enough to know that tone in her voice: it means that Salome doesn't like Bellatrix. "Have you met Bella yet?"

"I haven't, no," says Fianna.

"I'm jealous," says Salome, and she grins. "But I guess it'll be rude if you don't meet her. I'll stay with you until we find Reggie again — that way, you'll have someone to talk for you."

"Why?" says Fianna. "Is she, uh—?"

"She's a cow," says Salome. "I hope she dies before the altar so her ugly name isn't stuck on my family tree for the rest of time. But I guess she's charismatic, when she wants to be. I think she's fucking the Dark Lord, but don't tell anyone that."

Fianna puts two fingers to her lips, making a gesture that she's zipping her lips shut.

"This is why I love you, Fee," says Salome. "The best Gryffindor of all time."

They walk back out to the hallway, and Fianna finally enters the main hall. Its forest-green panelled walls are bare aside from the bronze light fixtures, but the ceiling is painted with ivy like the family tree, with flowers that Fianna swears are moving slightly. The room is so large that there's a fireplace on either side, with a great big mirror hanging above each one. Bronze trays float in the air between guests, holding champagne and appetisers. A harp is playing by itself in the middle of the room, surrounded by a group of Death Eaters, laughing and chatting.

Regulus appears next to Fianna before she can look for him; he takes hold of her hand, and looks over at Salome. "I think Bella was looking for you," he says.

Salome groans. "Let's hope I don't die of boredom. Or go blind having to look at her ugliness."

She walks off, her dress making it seem as if she's floating through the room.

Regulus turns to Fianna. "Bellatrix didn't ask for her," he says, quietly. "I thought I should warn you — I think Salome's put veritaserum in the food. The champagne's fine, she's still too French to tamper with that."

"Really?" says Fianna. She remembers what Salome said, about thinking Bellatrix is having an affair with Voldemort. As gross as that sounds, it makes sense that Salome's trying to get her to slip up. "Well, thank you..."

"Also, I didn't think they'd come to this, they don't like to publicly align themselves with Death Eaters but—"

"Fianna Lupin, at long last."

Fianna's entire body goes stiff.

She turns around to see Walburga and Orion Black, in the flesh. Her heart starts pounding, feeling as if she's in a horror film, and standing in front of the flesh-eating vampire. Suddenly Fianna feels intensely aware of how she looks, how short her dress is, if she looks too muggle, if Walburga already hates her because she knows Sirius. God, Fianna isn't even Regulus' real girlfriend and yet she feels like she wants to die. Why didn't Fianna think about this? Of course Walburga and Orion would be here, Bellatrix is Regulus' cousin—

"Um, hi," Fianna manages to get out.

"Talkative girl," says Walburga with a sneer. Her black hair is pulled up into a bun, looking like a Victorian governess in mourning. She wears a black dress that covers her from foot to chin. "How is your brother? I'm sure he's thrilled about this partnership."

Fianna feels a sense of protectiveness over Remus, giving her a strange boost of confidence. Plus, she quickly realises that a bad first impression with her boyfriend's mother could justify her and Regulus disappearing for a little while... Enough for them to search through the library.

"He's as thrilled as you, I'd say," says Fianna, and adds, "Sirius is well, by the way."

Walburga looks at her oddly. "Did I ask?"

Regulus clears his throat. "Mother."

"Regulus." Walburga gives him a dirty look. "I hope this girl isn't being a bad influence on you."

"Hardly," says Regulus, holding tightly onto Fianna's hand.

"You know what happened to Andromeda," says Walburga.

Fianna vaguely remembers Sirius talking about this. His cousin Andromeda, one of Bellatrix's sisters, was disowned by the family a few years ago for marrying a muggleborn. Apparently they had a baby a few years ago, one that Sirius (and Remus, weirdly) has visited a few times.

"Mother, that's hardly the case here," says Regulus.

Walburga gives Fianna another look and down. Like everyone, she's taller than Fianna, which makes her feel like an awful statue, towering above Fianna. She takes Orion's arm, and glides around them, disinterested in Fianna.

"If you wish to speak to us tonight, keep her away," Walburga tells Regulus, before walking away.

Fianna turns to Regulus, her eyes wide. Sell it, Fee, she thinks to herself.

"What the fuck?" she hisses at him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think she'd come," he tells her. "She doesn't like anyone, it isn't just you—"

"But still!" she says. "I shouldn't have come to this, Reg..."

Regulus' expression changes — ever so slightly, just enough for Fianna to notice. He's realised what I'm doing, she thinks to herself, feeling giddy. He looks over his shoulder, where his parents have walked off to, and turns to Fianna, holding onto both of her hands.

"Do you want to go for a walk?" he says. "Clear your head?"

Fianna nods. "Yes, please."

"OK," he says. "Let's go, then."

He leads her out of the hall, keeping hold of one of her hands. They pass by the drawing room, and walk further and further, until eventually, they reach the mansion's library. Regulus opens the door, letting the two of them in.

"Let's make this quick," he says.

It isn't a big library by any means — the door opens into a room slightly smaller than the drawing room, the walls lined with bookshelves, with an archway leading into another room decorated the same. There's a chaise lounge next to the window, and a desk built into one of the bookcases. It isn't Hogwarts library by any means, but if it's mostly dark magic literature, it's still a hefty collection.

"Bella said the worst of it's over here," says Regulus, walking through the archway.

Fianna follows, still feeling too on-edge in a house of Death Eaters to be that confident about searching through the books. She knows they could lock the door, but wouldn't that incriminate them even more? Surely if they were that desperate to run off to be intimate, they wouldn't bother to wait to lock the door, just find the first empty room that's far enough away no one should interrupt them? And for that to be believable, she needs to be close enough to Regulus to throw herself onto him if the door goes...

"You didn't have to mention Sirius, you know," says Regulus.

"Yeah, I think I got a bit carried away," says Fianna. "I'll behave myself next time."

"Not that I didn't mind it," says Regulus. "It's nice to see Mother put in her place."

Fianna, stunned, smiles softly. "That's a big claim, Reg. I thought you worshipped her."

"No," says Regulus. Fianna's watching his fingers move across the spines of the books, scanning the titles and moving onto the next. "I just didn't want to get into trouble like Sirius... Don't tell anyone that, though. Obviously I still love my parents, it's just—"

"It's difficult to explain, I get it," says Fianna. Well, no, I don't understand, because my parents love me for who I am but I can imagine how difficult it would be, to be you, and have unloving parents.

Regulus pauses, and turns to look at her. A small smile appears across his face. "You look nice tonight, by the way," he says.

"Oh, thanks," she says, surprised.

"I like when your hair's up like that," he says, turning back to the bookshelf. "It suits you."

Fianna stares at him in shock. Does she... Does she return the favour? Give him a compliment back? But his seems so marinated, he's been sitting on that thought for a while. What does she like about him? Fuck, she guesses he's not bad to look at, but she can't just say that, can she? I guess you're fit? That would be embarrassing to say! She looks at what he's wearing, but it's the same sort of thing she's seen him in before so—

"Fee," he says.

Regulus pulls out one book, the front of it saying, Secrets of the Darkest Art.

"Have you heard of this one before?" says Fianna.

He starts flicking through the pages, scanning the contents. "I've heard some of the others talk about it — even Lucius said it was a nasty book, so hopefully it'll say something about—" Regulus pauses, and looks at Fianna triumphantly. "There's a whole chapter on Horcruxes."

"Oh my God," she says, grinning.

"Right." Regulus pulls out his wand, and quickly mutters the duplicating spell. A second Secrets of the Darkest Art appears on top of the Lestrange's copy, and he hands it to Fianna, as he puts the original copy back. "I figured this way, they won't clock it's missing... Even if someone sees us in here, they won't know what we're actually up to."

"Clever boy," she says softly.

Regulus smiles back at her. "I try."

Fianna looks down at the book, and opens up her bag.

He looks confused. "Is that going to fit in—?"

"All of my bags have Extension Charms, it'll fit," says Fianna, slotting the book into her bag, and closing it back up. As she looks up, she sees him frowning still, and she shrugs. "I carry like, four lip glosses at a minimum. I need the extra space."

Regulus scoffs. "You're such a dork."

"My lips look perfect so I don't care," she retorts.

"Well, yeah, but—" Regulus pauses, hearing voices outside. He looks back at Fianna. "Let's go back before anyone notices."

Fianna nods. "I cannot wait."

"Just — ruin your perfect lips, would you? So it looks like we've been kissing."

She rolls her eyes, and kisses the back of her hand, before rubbing it off.

"I'll make a dramatic point of reapplying, mind you," says Fianna.

Regulus smiles back at her. "I expect no less from a Gryffindor."

"Ha, ha, so hilarious," she mutters. "Come on then, sunshine."

They wander back to the party, hand-in-hand. As they return, Salome appears in front of them, giving the two a mischievous look.

"Where did you wander off to?" she asks.

"Oh, you know," says Fianna, just as she takes out a lip gloss from her bag. As she reapplies, she winks at Salome, who smirks. "Were you looking for us?"

"I was telling the ugly Bella all about you two," says Salome. "Where is that beast?"

Salome looks up, and waves down someone from across the room. Fianna recognises Narcissa Black, standing next to her boyfriend, Pandora's older brother Lucius. Beside her, a tall woman with curly, black hair turns around, grimacing when she sees Salome. But, trying to play nice, she walks over.

Now, Salome was clearly lying when she was calling Bellatrix ugly. Had Salome clearly made an attempt to show Bellatrix up at her own engagement party? Naturally, yes. But was Bellatrix ugly? Absolutely not. Her black curls were pulled up into a ponytail, with ringlets framing her face, giving centre-stage to her pale, chiselled bone structure. She's wearing a long dress that looks like Stevie Nicks on the Rumours album cover, a long black dress with even longer strips of fabric hanging from the sleeves. Whilst she isn't wearing Salome's ribcage-missing dress, she certainly didn't look bad.

"Bella," says Salome, through gritted teeth. "This is my protégé, Fianna."

"And she's with Regulus?" says Bellatrix, her eyes lighting up with wicked mischief. "Oh, wow."

"Hi, Bella," says Regulus, uncomfortably.

"Your girlfriend's pretty," says Bellatrix. "What house are you in?"

"She's Gryffindor, but you wouldn't know it," says Salome, before Fianna can open her mouth. "The most Slytherin Gryffindor I've met."

"Because your word matters," says Bellatrix, losing the smile for a second. "So, Gryffindor. Are you one of us, or are you not?"

Fianna's heart stops. "Uh—"

"Whilst she agrees with us, her brother's in the Order, so it's difficult," says Regulus, stepping forwards. He takes a hold of Fianna's hand, and Fianna wonders if this affection is pretend or not. "You can trust her, though."

"I suppose I'll take your word," says Bellatrix. Her eyes don't move from Fianna, though, looking at her as if she's meat. "I hope you've put your trust in the right hands, cousin... It'd be a shame if that pretty face of hers had to be skinned."

Fianna wishes she could run and hide, like a child squaring up to a monster. Her heart is still pounding, and the entire room feels as if it's frozen, as if waiting to see her reaction. God, what does she say to that? Everything she can think of feels damning, and then what, she'll be tortured and skinned and eaten alive by this entire manor house of Death Eaters and—

"Do you think I wouldn't retaliate, cousin?" says Regulus, calmly. "Would be a shame this close to the wedding."

Fianna wants to fan herself. Fuck, how hot was that?

"... Touché," says Bellatrix. "Have a nice evening."

Bellatrix walks back to Narcissa, ignoring Salome.

"Aren't you protective," says Salome, looking pleased with Bellatrix being threatened. "I'm going to annoy that cow some more, have a nice evening... Leave whenever you need to, I know what Filch is like."

As she wanders off, Regulus turns to face Fianna. "Ten minutes then we'll go?"

"Yes please," she says.

They talk about school and such, and eventually slip out of the hallway, stepping outside into the courtyard to Apparate back to Hogwarts. Fianna keeps on looking across at Regulus, in shock that he said such a thing to Bellatrix, but even more so, that he said it defending her. Was that part of the act? Did he mean it? And what he said in the library, how he liked her hair a certain way, how she looked nice...

"You didn't have to say that to her, you know," says Fianna.

Regulus shrugs. "I know. I just didn't like her saying that about you."

Woof, Fianna thinks.

"Well, thank you," she says, softly.

Regulus shrugs, as if to say, anytime.

Fianna glances to her side; a little further into the manor's grounds, lit up by the moonlight, stands a large stag. Her guilt about Georgia earlier starts to creep back in, but she lowers her head at it, the stag nodding too.

"Let's go," says Fianna, taking hold of Regulus' hand — and wanting to hold it, this time.

the reg and fee agenda is beginning for real now hehe

this chapter is long but I got carried away lol, hope you enjoyed and lmk what you thought<3333

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

394K 11.3K 93
"He was my soulmate, I knew that now. Even if we weren't meant to be together there was no way my life would be worth it without him. I just wanted h...
31K 14 6
___๐˜Š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ___ "๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ฌ๐š๐ฏ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ, ๐‘๐ž๐ ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ฌ ๐๐ฅ๐š๐œ๐ค. ๐–๐ก๐š๐ญ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ญ๐š๐ค๐ž๐ฌ." "๐ƒ๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ...
229K 11.7K 99
- ส€แด‡ษขแดœสŸแดœs ส™สŸแด€แด„แด‹ า“แด€ษดา“ษชแด„แด›ษชแดษด "You. Me. Hogsmeade. Tomorrow" Romie demands, leaving no room for objection. Regulus slowly lifts his head from his book...
3.1K 296 10
โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค *โ‹†โ ๐ข๐ญ'๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ซ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐๐š๐ฒ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ข'๐ฆ ๐š๐ฅ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐๐ฒ ๐Ÿ๐š๐ข๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฉ๐จ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง๐ฌ. ๐ข๐Ÿ ๐จ๐ง๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐š ๐œ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ž, ๐ง๐ž๏ฟฝ...