Henry Neville- The Geist Ther...

Av JDCarvell

Miss Polly Alexander, an educated respectable clerk at the Chelsea postal office, has just buried her father... Mer

1. Polly: Chapter One
2. Polly: Chapter Two
3. Polly: Chapter Three
4. Polly: Chapter Four
5. Polly: Chapter Five
6. Polly: Chapter Six
7. Interlude One
8. The Thames Spectre: Chapter One
9. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Two
10. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Three
11. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Four
12. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Five
13. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Six
14. Interlude Two
15. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter One
17. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Three
18. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Four
19. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Five
20. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Six

16. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Two

7 2 0
Av JDCarvell

The Police

Henry and Polly were stood on the corner of Haldane Road, Chelsea by the time Sergeant Cane had finished briefing them about the mentally challenged man named Gary he had in cuffs back at the station. An hour had passed since Henry spoke to the young possessee about his apparent ordeal and now Cane wanted Henry to find any proof in the claim. Polly once again not feeling very optimistic about their current predicament rather wished they stayed back at Henry's home.

"I'm not sure why Cane felt the need to leave us on the side of the road," Polly exclaimed.

"The sergeant has his reasons, ours is not to question why," Henry replied softly. "Now, we must find twenty-three."

"I wish you would question it sometimes rather than just do," replied Polly dryly.

"I'll remember that for future reference. Let's get going, Cane wants us to investigate this place for activity while it's empty. He is giving us another half hour before the constables arrive."

"I'm sure the spirit, if there is one, followed Gary. Besides, what about the apparent victim? Where are they?"

"Presumed missing. I would hazard a guess that he's long gone," Henry replied with certainty.

"Or still hiding upstairs," Polly responded doubtfully.

"We'll wager on that, Miss Alexander. Loser buys dinner.

"Deal," his assistant replied happily.

After finding the residence they required Henry knocked several times. "You never know," he shrugged his shoulders. He tried the handle but the door was locked.

"Let me try," Polly lightly pushed Henry aside, got down on her knees and pulled out a hair clip and began picking at the lock; the door clicked open but was immediately halted by an iron chain lock on the other side.

"They certainly don't want people coming here unannounced," Henry said. "There must be a back door or who else rechained the door?"

"Do any of your gadgets cut chains?" Polly asked.

"Unfortunately not, we'll have to try around the back. Did you see an alley?"

"No," replied Polly.

Henry leant against the door to think. He let out a short panicked scream as the chain unbolted and the door flung open, throwing him to the rough floor of the hallway.

"I suppose that means your spirit guide is back?" Polly said as she stepped over the fallen scientist.

"I guess it does, pity they weren't there when Thomas was around," Henry jumped to his feet. "Are you going to tell me how you know to pick locks?"

"And have you judge me, Dr Neville? I think not," Polly said casually.

"Judge you how?" Henry replied.

Polly paused, "A person of my skin colour with skills in breaking and entering? It would hardly be a shock to assume I delve in petty crime."

"You know I would never judge you like that, I am just eager to learn more of your past. Tell me, how do you know?"

Polly sighed, "My dad taught me a few tricks once. After his freedom no one would employ him. He had no choice but to turn to the streets for a while before he finally earnt secure employment. I have never used those skills to wrong others for profit mind."

"Duly noted. Where do you want to start?"

"Outside walking home," Polly said seriously.

"Upstairs it is," laughed Henry before beginning the ascend.

"I have a bad feeling about this," replied Polly dryly.

"The house is empty, presumably. There's nothing to fear," Henry said reassuringly. Standing on the dimly lit landing, Henry noted three closed doors. He pointed to the one on the furthest right, "I'll let you take that one," he smiled.

"Gee, thanking you kindly," she replied sarcastically and proceeded to the right hand door.

Henry entered the left side door and was disappointed to find it almost empty. There were a couple of side tables covered in china ornaments and small trinkets, nothing of any worth or value. The desk, although made of fine lacquered wood, proved to be another disappointment.

A distant scream poised his attention and he leapt out of the room and marched down the hallway to the room occupied by Polly. A man lay motionless on the bed on his side as if asleep.

"He-he's d-dead," Polly stammered.

Henry knelt down beside the man and started muttering to himself, "Male, late forties, working class clothes, coal miner," he said as he inspected the blackness around the nails. He checked for a pulse before turning back to Polly. "Yes he's dead but there's still warmth in the body. I would guess whatever happened here, happened not two hours ago."

"Is this the intended victim. Did the murderer get his way after all?"

"Hard to tell, but I do not think this man was lying dead here when Cane picked up his man. It does not add up."

"This is bad, we're now in a full crime scene. I knew we should have walked away!" Polly gasped.

"No this is good," replied Henry and waited for Polly's surprised reaction. "I mean not for our friend here but now he'll be much easier for us to talk to in the morning."

"You mean to wait for his haunting?" Polly asked still in shock.

"In a way, I believe he will follow his attacker and Cane which will lead him to us."

"We need to leave! I do wonder who he is but I do not feel safe here. Any idea on the cause of death?"

Henry inspected the body again, "Biology isn't my field but my first guess could be heart attack. Perhaps he was spooked by a ghoul of some kind. He does look strangely familiar."

"The demon possessing Gary?"

Henry led Polly back out of the room, "There is a very good chance it was. We must be careful." They walked across the top landing towards the stairway but quickly froze when they heard the creaking noises of a figure ascending the steps. They took two steps back.

The air grew cold and Polly noticed first their breath became visible. The gas light to their right suddenly burst to life, shining brighter than ever possible. After a few seconds it burnt out again. A shadow appeared against the wall a few paces away from them. Then it appeared; it was no mere entity, there was no face or distinguishable features. It was nothing more than a black shape of a man, but its aura was that of evil and ill intent. There appeared to be faint crisp lines of smoke protruding from its shoulders.

"Good day... Sir?" Henry said uncertainly.

"Don't provoke it," Polly whispered, her voice trembling.

The black figure did not move as it stood on top of the stairs, it's pose facing towards them.

"Relax," Henry replied. He spoke casually, "I'm guessing it won't speak. At worst it will point a finger for a few seconds then throw us both into the air; at doubly worst, out of the window."

"What!" Polly shrieked. This caused a stir from the figure as its head slanted slightly to one side, it took a step forward and stopped. Its head snapped sideways and faced down the stairs. Moments later there was a knock at the door.

The knock became a bang, then ferocious banging. Shouts of, "Police!" Could be heard, albeit somewhat muffled, from the other side of the door.

The figure turned back to the duo and took another step forward. The front door came crashing down as the police made a forced entry and could be heard ascending the stairs.

"Stay away from Bonham," came a hiss. It seemed to come from the walls rather than directly from the black figure.

"What's this got to do with Estella?" Henry asked, but it was too late. The figure had evaporated and in its place stood two uniformed officers.

"Dr Henry Neville, and Miss Polly!" Said an excitable voice.

"Officer Betts," replied Henry.

"You know this gentleman?" The second officer asked Betts.

"Lower your truncheon, Stevens. These two are no threat."

"Mildly insulting," Henry joked.

"Why are you here?" Stevens asked sharply.

"We're investigating the crime scene, by order of Sergeant Cane," Henry spoke with authority.

Stevens raised an eyebrow, "I don't believe you."

Betts gave Stevens a reassuring nod, "The thing is, Henry, the sergeant has only just called this in, how are you here before us? And how did you get in, or did you lock the door behind you? If so, why?"

"We did not lock any doors, sir. Before we continue our chat I believe you better come see what we have discovered, then we can explain everything."

"You had better lead on then," replied Betts.

Henry nodded and turned on his heels to open the door he was thankful Polly thought to close.

"A man!" Stevens cried as soon as he peered inside.

"I'm afraid so," Henry replied. "Deceased and very recently too."

"A body?" Stevens responded. "What is going on here?"

"We need proper identification. Please let us past, Henry," Betts asked formally.

Stevens shot a glare at Henry, "This is beginning to look rather suspicious."

"Hang on just a minute!" Polly piped up after her prolonged silence.

"Everybody calm down," Betts demanded before any tension could surface. "We will investigate the scene and examine the body then we will get our statements. Is that ok with you, Stevens?"

Stevens scoffed in reply. Henry and Polly moved to one side so the officers could begin their examination.

"I thought you would want to have some time off after the ordeal with Cane and the spectre from the past couple of days," Henry said to Betts.

"Nonsense, nothing a few shots of brandy could not fix. Crime does not rest and neither shall I," Betts responded proudly.

"It seems none of us can rest; we're here to rule out poltergeist activity for Cane but I don't believe I am going to be able to."

"You mean one of your clients could be involved here?" Betts was astonished.

Stevens sniggered, "Ghosts, what a load of farce."

Henry wanted to reply with a snarky comment but two more officers appeared in the doorway. They were puzzled with the presence of the ghost hunters but chose to ignore them. They were more intrigued with the body.

"That's Cyrus Krick if I'm not mistaken," the taller one said.

"You know this man?" Betts asked.

"Yes, notorious gambler. Been inside a couple of times due to his debt and the financial straits he had on his employers, the Bonham's."

This tugged Henry's attention, "Excuse me, sir. Who is this man to the Bonham's?"

The tall officer did not want to speak directly to Henry until Betts assured him it was ok to do so, "The Bonham's of Ealing, strange people they are, not very popular with the neighbours. Anywho, Mr Krick here was an employee of theirs; gardening, handyman, all the works. It was said he was using their address to pass on his own financial ruining. They sacked him off in the end, and the last I heard of his whereabouts he was down in Brixton a few nights ago trying to sell a story he had on the Bonham's."

"That is interesting," replied Henry.

"How so?" The officer asked.

"The Bonham's are actual clients of ours. This is why Sergeant Cane sent us down here first before you uniforms. I'm only just beginning to understand the connection," Henry lied behind a smile.

"It sheds some light on what may have happened to poor Mr Krick here," replied Betts. "Although we will have to wait for the coroner's examination before any accusations can be made. Initial findings suggest natural causes."

Stevens grumbled, "Does that mean these two are free to go?"

Betts stepped away from the body, "They were never held here against their will. Come on, Doctor. I'll walk you both out."

Henry and Polly understood the hint and left the room with Betts, "There's a powerful spirit at play here," Henry stated.

Betts waited until they were outside before replying, "Two days ago I would never have believed whatever you could tell me regarding spirits and demons. My job is to find hard evidence on what happened to Mr Krick. If you have business with the Bonham's, you had better go and sort it. I'm hazarding a guess here but maybe Krick was murdered for whatever information he had about your clients, whether it be by living or dead. I'll buy you as much time in our enquiry as I possibly can but your presence here is not looking very favourable to my colleague. Stay safe," Betts stepped to the side to allow them to leave, "Doctor, Miss Polly," he nodded.

"Thank you, officer. I'm pleased you came out of the spectre ordeal stronger than ever," replied Henry."

"Good day, Betts," Polly spoke softly.

Betts returned to the house and left the duo in the street. They walked slowly down the pavement. Both knew just how critical tomorrow's meeting with the nanny was going to be.

***

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

38.7K 2K 42
"You are absolutely barking mad.. You know that, right?" With a wicked grin, he looks over at me. "Now you're seeing the world through my eyes." ****...
8.9K 461 48
(READ ALL BEFORE STARTING BOOK) This is unedited. After the death of a 24 year old girl she's reborn, but the world around her seems different. Not...
215 11 37
In 1939, young journalist Will Drachman is murdered during a visit to Dr. Norman Baker's alleged Cancer Curing Hospital. To move on, Will needs his b...
7K 1K 54
Nothing goes better with tea and crumpets than corpses and monsters. ************ With hardly a moment's rest after the case of the experimental corp...