Under The Maple Tree

By Noor0708

Gloria Browne and Edmund Frost, two different souls, two different lives. What happens when they cross paths... More

Copyright
Character Aesthetics
1] Him
2] The painting
3] Realisation
4] A Memory
5] Lost
6] First meeting
8] The Visitor
A/N
9] Marriage of Convenience
10] Jealousy

7] Spring Festival

10 1 0
By Noor0708

Me and Florian returned to Summerstown that evening. We said our goodbyes and I went inside the house. After having dinner and a few chit chat about our little adventure with mother and father, I went straight to my room to rest my fatigued body.

As soon as I entered my room, I saw a painting sitting behind the wardrobe and all the memories came back flooding.

"IT IS MY LORD FOR YOU! HAAH. What an arrogant and conceited man.
Never judge a book by its cover, Gloria." I lifted the painting and laid it down on the bed. I observed his silhouette, he looked so glorious, not a hint of narcissism nor a frown on his face.

I then picked up a bottle of black paint nearby and poured it straight onto his face. Impulsive much? Yes It was, but felt like a small relief. I had no use of it now. It was just a tool of deception, taking people into a daydream without having met with the reality.

I slept peacefully that night, his face now erased from not only my painting but also from my mind and memories.

...........

The next few days passed in a blink, with the whole town being busy with preparation of the festival. I was fully prepared to make my official debutante as an artist. That is what I like to call it.

Morning of 1st day of the Spring festival.

"Ria..make haste, dear. We are getting late." Father called from downstairs.

"Dear Lord...., I am utterly distressed by this girl's constant unpunctuality." Mother added.

I ran downstairs with one hand on my hat to keep it in place and a pouch in another. A big wagon waited outside for us.
Florian helped us load the baggage into the wagon and soon him, father and myself departed to the town.

The rattling of the wagon was soon replaced by a loud chatter of people. We got out of the wagon.

Loads of stalls were lined one after another. The whole area was decorated with colorful tents and banners.

I inhaled the delicious aroma of chocolate breadsticks and my stomach growled, reminding me that how my lazy self woke up late and did not get to have breakfast. Florian chuckled from beside me and I looked down out of embarrassment.
"Wait here. I will bring something to eat." He said and left.

He returned after a while with a bag full of garlic bread and a few muffins. After eating some, I felt a relief wash over my body, and felt more energetic than before.

It was 10 in the morning and the crowd started to gather. We managed to set up my stall in the artistry section, which was fortunately, near to the front gate.
Father left to talk to some of his old friends from work leaving me and Florian alone to take care of the belongings. I sat on a nearby chair, restlessly tapping my left foot while observing the surrounding.

"Don't be so nervous. Everything will be alright." Florian looked down towards me and smiled.

I smiled back. "What would I do without you."

"That is why I persisted on coming with you, did I not? Now, take a deep breath..."

I left a sigh of relief and did what was told obediently.

For the first few hours, people passed by my stall, some taking notice and complementing my work while some made unkind remarks. But nobody bought anything.

In the distance, I noticed a female figure waving at me and after looking carefully, I recognized her.

"Catherine ..! It is wonderful to see you again." I ran ahead and threw my arms around her.

"It has been so long since we met Ria. I missed you so much."

"I missed you too. How have you been and my goodness your hair look prettier than ever." I complimented smiling ear to ear.

"Couldn't agree more." Florian interrupted looking at Catherine.

"It is a pleasure to see you again Florian." Catherine blushed.

"Likewise, Lady Catherine." Florian slightly bowed his head.

Yes. Lady Catherine. Or more accurately, Lady Catherine Wentworth, youngest daughter of Count Wentworth.

I was 14, when I first met her at Mrs. Gibbs' house. Catherine is her niece. Factually speaking, Mrs. Gibbs' brother is a noble and so is she or was, until she fell in love with a commoner and decided to give up her title.

Catherine used to visit her aunt in her winter holidays and since Florian and I were regular guests too, got along with her very quickly.
With her, much contrasting to ours, beautiful clothing and accessories, she looked just like a princess to us. But her gentle eyes and kind smile made us drawn towards her.

"I cannot wait to see everything around here and eat a lot of delicious food." Catherine clenched her hands around mine while her eyes sparkled with joy.

"Says the noble lady who gets to eat delicacies in her breakfast, lunch and dinner." I said sarcastically.

"All thanks to mother. She keeps grumbling about my weight. Does not let me eat any sweets." She said sadly.

Even though she was so petite, being a noble lady meant she had to keep her weight maintained, to fit in those bizarre corsets.

"Ah. Then you shall have your fill today my lady." I said and she giggled.

"Would you like to join us, Florian?" Catherine asked shyly.

"You two go on. I will keep watch here." He politely declined.

"Now come on." I pulled her hand eagerly walking ahead.

"For God's sake Gloria, act ladylike for once." She said laughing while her free hand tightly clutched to her gown.

"Ladylike? Never heard that word before." Florian remarked and we both laughed waving goodbye to him.

..~~~~~

"So tell me. How have you been doing for the last....umm" She asked walking side by side.

"16 months?" I replied and looked at her.

"I cannot believe so much time has passed." she sighed.

"The last year has been pretty difficult for all of us to say the least." I said. "With father getting that terribly awful injury." She looked at me pitifully.

"We thrived a lot even to get two meals in our plates."

"I am sorry Ria. For not being there for you." She tightened her grip on my palm.

I smiled looking at her. "You had your reasons Cathy. If you could, I know you never would've let me suffer in any way." She smiled back.

"Enough with this sad storytelling. We have to make this time worth the wait." I added.

We both visited different stalls, trying out delicious sweets and playing games. Much time passed and when we turned to return, I bumped into a tall figure.

"My Apologies Sir. I did not mean...." I stopped and stared at the man.

"A pleasure to meet you again, Miss Browne." Arden greeted gently smiling at me.

"Pleasure to meet you too, My lord." I curtsied.

Hearing the word 'My lord' his smile turned to a frown.

"I would like to apologize to you on behalf of my brother, miss Browne. He actually is a very good person, I insist you not to misjudge him."

I mentally rolled my eyes and avoided talking about the topic.

"My lord, I would like to introduce you to.."

"Lady Catherine..." He added and went forward to kiss her gloved hand gently.

"What a pleasant surprise." He smiled and straightened up.

"You two know each other?" I asked

"Yes. Remember the winter ball I wrote to you about last year?" Cathy said. "Father introduced us to the whole Marques family." I listened attentively.

"My brother and Lady Catherine's older sister, Lady Charlotte are going to be engaged soon."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.3K 2.5K 31
Mari Turner's life is simple after college: return to the tiny family farm and look after the animals while working at a local bookstore. She’s a fir...
36.5K 1.2K 35
The story revolves around Emily Heartwood, who is hopelessly in love with her classmate, Vincent Zaphyr. Only if it was just a crush. Talking about...
109 1 16
Immerse yourself in a captivating narrative that weaves together history, mystery, and the bonds that transcend lifetimes. Follow the tale of Frederi...
2.8M 125K 65
[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] The last thing Livy expects is to fall for Logan, the hot but damaged billionaire who wants to help her pay for her...