Echoes on the Horizon

By luckyorphan

There are over one hundred thousand islands in the world, each with its own unique attributes. There are isl... More

The Courier
The Sergeant
The Mother
The Shopkeeper

The Wife

0 0 1
By luckyorphan

Kaira, her silver hair gleaming like moonlight, reclined in her hospice bed. Machines beeped softly, an eerie orchestra of life's ebb and flow. DONA, her Life.AI, chimed in her ears.

"Welcome back from slumberland, Kaira," DONA's digital voice said softly. "Want another?"

Kaira smirked, "Sure thing, DONA. Hit me."

The retinal projector blipped to life, throwing a reel of memories directly into her eyes. Snapshots from her childhood emerged — lazy days by the creek, catching fireflies as dusk settled, and the sound of her father's laughter echoing as he chased her through the tall grass.

"What about that day...the carnival," Kaira drawled, her voice a touch wistful as it trailed off.

DONA projected the scene — a young Kaira, wide-eyed wonder, clutching a cloud of sugar. The Ferris wheel spun against the backdrop of a starlit sky, twirling dreams into reality.

The images continued without command, shifting to her teenage years — first kisses, high school victories, and the kind of optimism that only youth can breed. Kaira's eyes twinkled as she recounted a moonlit dance with Jelani, her high school sweetheart.

"We had it all figured out," Kaira mused, a half-smile playing on her lips.

DONA showed images of youthful passion and fervor, guiding Kaira through her narrative. The tablet stitched together moments of the couple weathering life's storms, a mosaic of shared love, resilience, and the occasional setback.

But the images turned quieter, the figure of Jelani receding in the panorama of years. DONA sensed the shift in Kaira's mood. "Need a breather, Kaira?"

Kaira blinked back a tear, nodding appreciatively. "Yeah, DONA. Gimme a sec."

DONA gave her the space she needed before resuming, showing snippets of Kaira's career, the laughter of her children, and the tender moments cradling their newborns.

"Oh," Kaira gently gasped, her voice a fragile whisper, "Our 50th. Time..."

DONA conjured an image of Kaira and her sweetheart, two aging souls holding hands, a silent testimony to years woven together. The room seemed to hush in reverence, time itself pausing.

Kaira smirked, a well-earned grin. "Could've been a beautiful painting."

DONA let out a gentle tone, "A masterpiece, Kaira."

"I miss her."

"I know."

As the memories neared their conclusion, a tranquil aura wrapped around the room. Kaira's breaths grew fainter, and DONA sensed the change. "You good?"

Kaira's smirk held, a glint of mischief. "Yeah, DONA. Thanks."

DONA dimmed the projections, her presence still alert. "Thank you, for letting me tag along."

In the midst of soft medical sounds and lingering moments, Kaira's breaths tapered off. Her eyes closed once more, and held on to a life embraced to the fullest.

DONA remained, and as the nurses entered the room, she archived Kaira's life into her vault, and turned her attention to another floor in the hospital, where Asha drew her first breath.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1 0 1
《美国文凭学历证书定做蒙茅斯大学研究生毕业证》Q微-1954 292 140《美国MU研究生毕业证快速办理》如已删请点开网页快照,办理蒙茅斯大学真实教育部学位认证,国外假文凭成绩单,假学历,假毕业证,国外假文凭找工作!给家人看! 留学生归国服务中心面向留学生提供以下服务: 一、办理毕业证成绩单《快...
1 0 1
快速办理国外原版西悉尼大学毕业证成绩单《Q微1954 292 140》《澳大利亚UWS毕业证书电子版快速办理》《澳洲文凭毕业证定做西悉尼大学毕业证书电子版》 1、西悉尼大学毕业证+成绩单+留学回国人员证明+教育部学历认证(全套留学回国必备证明材料,给父母及亲朋好友一份完美交代); 2、雅思,托福,...
1 0 1
《制作明尼苏达州立大学毕业证书电子版》【Q/微1954 292 140】《美国MNSU成绩单密封邮寄原版制作》本公司一直专注于为英国 #加拿大 #美国 #新西兰 #澳洲 #法国 #德国 #爱尔兰 #意大利等国家各高校留学生办理学历、明尼苏达州立大学毕业证、学位证、成绩单、教育部学历学位认证和留学回...
1 0 1
《加拿大文凭英文真实可查约克大学毕业证书复印件》Q微-1954 292 140《York毕业证书复印件在线制作》如已删请点开网页快照,办理约克大学真实教育部学位认证,国外假文凭成绩单,假学历,假毕业证,国外假文凭找工作!给家人看! 【主营项目】 一.《在线制作约克大学毕业证书复印件》【Q/微195...