The Offering

By megan_rose_writes

Almost 100 years ago when the fae discovered they could no longer bare children a treaty was made between Fae... More

The Offering
Prologue
Chapter One - Daella
Chapter Two - Daella
Chapter Three - Daella
Chapter Four - Varis
Chapter Five - Daella
Chapter Six - Daella
Chapter Seven - Aeris
Chapter Eight - Daella
Chapter Nine - Demwyn
Chapter Ten - Daella
Chapter Eleven - Alvaryn
Chapter Twelve - Daella
Chapter Thirteen - Varis
Chapter Fourteen - Aeris
Chapter Fifteen - Daella
Chapter Sixteen - Demwyn
Chapter Seventeen - Alvaryn
Chapter Eighteen - Daella
Chapter Nineteen - Aeris
Chapter Twenty - Daella
Chapter Twenty Two - Demwyn
Chapter Twenty Three - Daella
Chapter Twenty Four - Alvaryn
Chapter Twenty Five - Daella
Chapter Twenty Six - Daella
Chapter Twenty Seven - Alvaryn
Chapter Twenty Eight - Varis
Chapter Twenty Nine - Daella
Chapter Thirty - Aeris
Chapter Thirty One - Alvaryn
Chapter Thirty Two - Daella
Chapter Thirty Three - Demwyn
Chapter Thirty Four - Daella
Chapter Thirty Five - Aeris
Chapter Thirty Six - Daella
Chapter Thirty Seven - Alvaryn
Chapter Thirty Eight - Daella
Chapter Thirty Nine - Daella
Chapter Fourty - Aeris
Chapter Fourty One - Daella
Chapter Forty Two - Daella
Chapter Forty Three - Alvaryn
Chapter Forty Four - Demwyn
Chapter Forty Five - Daella
Chapter Forty Six - Daella
Chapter Forty Seven - Aeris
Chapter Forty Eight - Varis
Chapter Forty Nine - Demwyn
Chapter Fifty - Alvaryn
Chapter Fifty One - Aeris
Chapter Fifty Two - Alvaryn
Chapter Fifty Three - Aeris
Chapter Fifty Four - Demwyn
Chapter Fifty Five - Daella
Chapter Fifty Six - Varis
Chapter Fifty Seven - Alvaryn
Chapter Fifty Eight - Daella
Chapter Fifty Nine - Daella
Chapter Fifty Sixty - Demwyn
Chapter Sixty One - Daella
Chapter Sixty Two - Daella
Chapter Sixty Three - Alvaryn
Chapter Sixty Four - Daella
Chapter Sixty Five - Demwyn
Chapter Sixty Six - Alvaryn
Chapter Sixty Seven - Daella
Chapter Sixty Eight - Daella
Chapter Sixty Nine - Varis
Chapter Seventy - Aeris
Chapter Seventy One - Alvaryn
Chapter Seventy Two - Daella
Chapter Seventy Three - Daella
Chapter Seventy Four - Aeris
Chapter Seventy Five - Demwyn
Chapter Seventy Six - Daella
Chapter Seventy Seven - Daella
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty One - Daella

3.6K 159 9
By megan_rose_writes

"There you are Daella," Aeris smiles with a bow as he stands in the hall outside our lesson class.

The other girls stop and stare.

"Your Highness." I curtsy.

"All ready for our afternoon adventure?" He asks holding out his hand.

I nod smiling nervously, I take his hand while trying not to think about what the other girls all watching.

"We could have just met at the kennels." I say quietly once we are far enough away.

"Nonsense, what kind of friend would I be if I didn't escort you there myself?"

He walks quickly, my arm tucked into his elbow and I keep my head down.

"One of the bitches just had a litter of puppies, would you like to see them?" He asks once we are near the kennels and the sound of barking grows louder.

"Yes." I smile honestly.

The kennels are larger than I expected, different breeds of dogs are separated in pens, Aeris reaches out to pet some as we walk past them until we reach one of the stalls and he opens the door to let me in.

A large grey dog is lying on her side while six tiny grey puppies wander around the pen. The mother lifts her head as we walk in, I hesitate as Aeris walks in and squats down beside the mother petting her head.

"This is Moira, it's her first litter, and she has done extremely well, yes you have" He says, talking to the dog and holding her head.

I kneel down next to one of the puppies sniffing at the ground and pet its silky grey coat. Aeris moves to sit near me scooping up two of the puppies and setting them on his lap.

Mine rolls over showing me its round belly and I rub it gently.

"Do they have names?" I ask as the puppies black nose sniffs at my fingers.

"Not yet, why, do you have any suggestions?" he asks, two of the other puppies coming to sniff him, whimpering at him to be picked up.

He scoops them up so he has four puppies, their tails wagging happily, I cant help but smile at the image.

"No suggestions, they love you though." I say lifting my puppy up and setting it on my lap, it rolls over again, tiny legs in the air as it waits to be pet.

"I visit them every day so they know me well enough." He replies. "I'm sure you can think of some appropriate names."

"Well this one should be called belly rubs because it loves them so much." I tease.

Aeris laughs. "See, you're a natural. What about this one?" He asks setting another one on my lap. Belly rubs whines as it has to make room.

The puppy sits, tongue out as it looks up at me, tail wagging excitedly. I pet its head, its ears floppy and soft as it leans into my hand.

"I'm not sure, how can you tell them apart, they look identical." I reply, the last puppy wandering over to us, sniffing at my dress. I lift it up, setting it on my dress and begin petting its back as it lays down.

"Well you only think that because you have only met them once, but visit them enough and you can spot little differences. Besides the fact that there are four males and two females. Like that one." He says pointing at the one lying on its belly. "He's extremely greedy when it comes to feeding, that's why he's the largest, and the slowest. Or Belly Rubs, who does actually love belly rubs, but he also has a patch of white on the inside of his left ear."

I check his ear and find the tiny white patch.

"Didn't you promise to tell me how you got locked in a kennel?" I ask.

He laughs. "I did, well, many years ago, I was hiding from my brothers and I decided to hide here in the kennels. It was quite dark so I thought I could just hide in here for a few hours then sneak back inside."

"Why were you hiding from your brothers?"

"I may have left a dead squirrel in each of their beds." He answers and I can only look at him, mouth open.

"That's disgusting."

He laughs. "I know, I know, but it was just one of the things we would do to each other. Dead things in beds, hiding all their clothes, loosening the straps on their saddles so they would fall off." He laughs. "Anyways, I thought I had won, then as I was sneaking out they found me and decided to strip me down lock me one of the kennels and leave me here all night."

"And who let you out in the morning?" I ask.

"Well the kennel workers found me the next morning and were quite surprised, but they let me out and gave me a coat so I could get to my rooms." He smiles.

"And did that stop you from leaving dead squirrels in your brother's beds?"

"Oh no, no there were more dead things hidden in places." He laughs.

"I don't want to know." I laugh.

"Well at least they almost always deserved it." He replies.

"Oh I'm sure you were not innocent in all of your scheming and revenge." I counter.

"No, never innocent." He agrees.

He continues telling me stories of him and his brothers while we pet the puppies, listening to him talk about them with love and affection reminded me of my brothers and sisters but I push them to the back of my mind.

"I can see why you visit these little ones every day, I would spend all my time here as well if I could, they are adorable." I say lifting the heavy one up and kissing him on the head. I lean down kissing the other two on their heads while holding the large one in my arms like a baby.

I feel Aeris watching me and turn to find an amused expression on his face, his smile different from the usual arrogant one I was used to.

"What?" I ask.

"You're just not what I expected." He answers.

"What did you expect?" I ask.

"I'm not sure, I didn't expect you to be fine with sitting on the floor and ruining your dress, or being so enamoured by the pups that you would be happy with them walking all over you." He smiles, watching as the two pups nip at each other on my lap fighting for space and attention.

"It's just a dress, I'm used to being dirtier than this." I shrug. "And who couldn't be absolutely smitten with these puppies, I just want to steal them all and keep them in my room." I say rocking the puppy in my arms while petting the two on my lap receiving licks in return.

"You know, you're not what I expected either." I say after a moment of silence.

"No?" he asks turning to me.

"No, I'm not sure if it's just because you're sober for once, but you're different being here, away from everyone else." I say as the two pups settle on my lap.

Aeris laughs quietly. "See, that is why I know we will make great friends, that sharp tongue of yours, you're not afraid to say exactly what you think when you're with me."

"Should I be?" I ask, wondering if maybe I should be keeping my thoughts to myself.

"No. I'm glad you're not afraid to say what you truly think, most people don't." He replies and I can't help but look at him. He could see it too, the way everyone acted, like they were all playing parts as well. Maybe that's all it was, he was just playing a part when he was around others. Underneath it all, all the arrogance and drinking, maybe the real him just needed someone to be himself around as well.

"Can we not have a repeat of this afternoon's surprise greeting?" I ask, setting down the puppy in my arms on the ground. He blinks up at me, upset at being woken up.

"You didn't like me meeting you outside your classroom?" He asks.

"It just attracts a lot of unwanted attention."

"Are you embarrassed to be seen with me?" He teases.

"I think it would be the other way around, and no, not embarrassed, I just have a feeling it will lead to a lot of questions." And possible unwanted guests, but I didn't tell him that.

"Alright, I will endeavour to be more discreet from now on. Now that we are friends of course, no doubt we will be spending more time together."

"And there is that arrogance come back in all its glory." I tease.

"It isn't arrogance, it is confidence. We have found more common ground, we get along when we are left to our own devices, what is that if not friends?"

"You have sound reasoning at least."

"And devilishly handsome good looks, it's a win win for you." He smiles. "Now that was arrogance."

I can't help but laugh throwing straw at his face in reply.

"Oh you don't want to start doing that young lady." He warns before grabbing a handful of straw and throws it back at me.

I laugh, grabbing more straw before throwing it at him then wriggling my puppies down to the ground I scramble away, he only smiles, but his eyes are predatory, my heart races but I don't want it to slow down.

"You have nowhere to hide." He says in a low voice and I can only watch as he moves quickly, scooping up straw in both hands before dumping it on my head. I let out a low squeal, and he stands up laughing as I glare up at him.

"I told you you didn't want to start." He continues to laugh as I huff, wiping dirt and straw from my hair and face. I stand up knowing I must look filthy.

"I'm going to have to change before dinner, Mistress would be livid if I showed up looking like this." I say, swiping at my dress.

Aeris walks closer reaching to pick out pieces of straw from my hair.

"Time to go then." He says softly.

I look up at him, finding his dark eyes looking back at me, they are beautiful, so dark they could be the night sky, starless and never ending. I think he is going to say something, eyes focussed on mine, mouth parted like the words are on the tip of his tongue, but then he just blinks and turns, walking towards Moira, he leans over, petting her again and saying goodbye before leaving the stall.

"Thank you for bringing me here Aeris." I say as we walk past the other stalls.

"You're very welcome Daella. I would offer to bring you more often but I usually come in the mornings, I don't think your tutors would be very happy if you were missing from your lessons to play with puppies." He replies.

"No, I don't think Mistress would be happy at all." I say quietly staring at the ground as we walk. I didn't want to think about her. "But I do hope you bring me back sometime."

"It's a promise." He smiles opening the doors to the kennels.

As we step outside we find Demwyn waiting for us.

"Afternoon, what have you two been up to?" He asks, eyes running over me lingering on the dirt and straw.

"Just showing her the new litter Dem." Aeris answers with a smile.

Something about Demwyn's stance and expression makes me want to take a step back. He watches me with suspicion.

"Father was looking for you." He tells Aeris.

"Alright, I'll walk Daella back and go find him." Aeris says.

"I think it's best if you go now, I can walk Daella back." Demwyn insists.

"It's alright, I can find my own way back, it isn't far." I say with a small smile.

"It's no trouble, I'm heading that way anyways." Demwyn insists and I can only nod in return.

"Thank you Aeris." I smile at him.

"Thank you Daella, I'll see you again soon." He winks at me before turning and giving Demwyn a warning look.

"Shall we?" Demwyn asks waiting for me with his stoic expression.

I smile and we begin walking back.

"I'm surprised Aeris invited you to the kennels, he is quite protective of his litters."

I had a feeling that Demwyn had intended to talk to me about something and it was the real reason he insisted he walked me back so instead of worrying I just pull my mask into it's place and continue my play.

"He seems very proud of them." I reply.

"Yes, he has spent many years raising them and breeding them. They are the strongest hunting dogs we have ever had."

It had been easy to see how much Aeris cared for his dogs, even the new litter and their mum he smothered with love and affection.

We continue to walk in silence and I look around the garden trying to imagine how Fynley would walk in the gardens.

"Well I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the kennels." Demwyn says, breaking the silence. "Even if it doesn't make sense to me."

"What do you mean?" I hear myself asking aloud.

"I love my brother but he isn't one for making friends, especially females. I know he and Alvaryn have this game even though they both insist they don't, but their actions with you say otherwise. What doesn't make sense to me is why Aeris seemed like he had genuinely enjoyed your company just now." He explains and I can't help but pull back from him, slowing our walk to a stop.

I look up at him. "Alvaryn told me the same thing. It only makes me wonder if it is all of you playing this game." He stands listening, unmoving, face calm. "I don't know if I can help you make sense of Aeris genuine feelings after spending time with me, I can only tell you that I enjoyed my time with him as friends."

I blink feeling his studying gaze watching me, making his mind up about me no doubt.

"I didn't intend to offend you Daella, only I know my brothers. I know who they are, how they act and what they want. Alvaryn and Aeris couldn't be further apart in what makes them who they are. That is why it doesn't make sense for both of them to be so fascinated by you. I don't know what it means and that concerns me."

"Do you think I would do something?" I ask, I can feel my hands pull into fists at the thought of it.

He just continues to study me, still calm, like a solid wall of pure fae male.

"I have no idea. I don't think you would do anything intentionally but given the circumstances, I can't see it ending well." He answers.

"I didn't ask to be their friends, or even encourage it, they asked me, I have no ulterior motives. I hardly understand why they want this friendship at all, but I am only trying to get through each day in one piece and if I get to experience a few moments of happiness then I will take it." I know I am losing my resolve to keep my mask in its place. I need to end this conversation.

"You are entitled to your happiness, just as my brother's are. I just don't like the unknown." He replies and I can't help but question him.

"Isn't that what life is? We may have a plan in place but life still has unknowns for us to experience." I couldn't imagine living in a world where I knew everything that would happen before it did, never experiencing something unexpected.

"That is true." He agrees.

"I should be getting back now. Thank you for walking me back Prince Demwyn." I say quickly before curtsying.

"Ah, Miss Daella." He says, stopping me, I look back at him. "You have straw in your hair." He says nodding at me.

I reach up trying to find the stray piece but he simply steps forward reaching out and pulling it out. He shows it to me with a question in his eyes. I didn't need to explain anything to him, let him think what he wants, he probably wouldn't believe me anyways.

"Thank you, goodbye Prince Demwyn." I reply, he only nods in return.

Was he just expressing concern for his brothers or was it something else?

Did he honestly think I had something planned?

I had only agreed to their plans.

What had Demwyn said, Alvaryn and Aeris had insisted it wasn't a game. I had believed Alvaryn when I asked him, would I believe Aeris if I confronted him as well?

He had been different today. I hoped it was the real him and him showing it to me meant he was telling me the truth.

Maybe I should just stop listening to others opinions and make my own.

I had told Demwyn the truth. In this relentless play I lived every day, constantly pretending to be someone, I needed every moment where I could just be myself and be happy.

Aeris had given me that today, it didn't mean that I trusted him with all my secrets, but I wasn't going to let Demwyn's concern for the unknown affect my time with either of them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.5K 1.9K 18
The kingdom needs an heir. But the king is old, sick, and incapable of performing. So he came up with a plan. His guard will bed the new queen. He do...
The Crown By Munwie

Historical Fiction

1.5K 77 38
PREPARE TO LOVE. A historical journey where love takes us into the lives of two lost people. Gabriella; a poor, young village girl who grew up in cru...
18.8K 762 27
In the year 675th of the imperial calendar, the empress, known for her brawn and wits, died at the hands of her beloved emperor. However, she awoke t...
81.3K 7K 33
Ariella doesn't want to love a human, they have ruined her world, tried to steal from her, taken those she loved away from her and made her life diff...