Paradise in Apocalypse (Anime...

By VladFallen

The world has come to an end... they say. The once thriving world ruled by humanity became so desolate and ab... More

Experimental Chapter
Prologue: Disaster Struck
Chapter 1: Devastation
Chapter 2: Collapsing World
Chapter 3: Augmentation
Chapter 4: Scavenging
Chapter 5: Mall
Chapter 6: Mall (2)
Chapter 7: Zombie Outbreak
Chapter 8: Zombie Outbreak (2)
Chapter 9: Zombie Outbreak (3)
Chapter 10: Planning
Chapter 11: Ship Augmentation
Chapter 12: Exploration
Chapter 13: Exploration (2)
Chapter 14: Experiment
Chapter 15: Rescue Mission
Chapter 16: Rescue Mission (2)
Chapter 17: Danger Zone
Chapter 18: Tōtsuki Culinary Academy
Chapter 19: Tōtsuki Culinary Academy (2)
Chapter 20: Tōtsuki Culinary Academy (3)
Chapter 21: Frost Nightmare
Chapter 23: Quick Visit
Chapter 24: Exhaustion
Chapter 25: High Fever
Chapter 26: Introductions
Chapter 27: Studying Mamoru's Ability
Chapter 28: Ikumi's Guilt
Chapter 29: Shooting Range
Chapter 30: Shooting Range (2)
Chapter 31: Changing Destinations
Chapter 32: Weird Duo
Chapter 33: Ikeshima Island
Chapter 34: Ikeshima Island (2)
Chapter 35: Saeko's Concerns
Chapter 36: Mercenaries
Chapter 37: Ikeshima Island (3)
Chapter 38: Ikeshima Island (4)
Chapter 39: Volcanic Eruption
Chapter 40: Island Relic
Chapter 41: New Members
Chapter 42: Paradise
Chapter 43: Moving in
Chapter 44: Drinking Party
Chapter 45: Changes (Lemon)
Chapter 46: Settling Relationships
Chapter 47: Unknown Building
Chapter 48: Temple
Chapter 49: Temple (2)
Chapter 50: Cooking
Chapter 51: Emergency
Chapter 52: Leaving
Chapter 53: Preparations

Chapter 22: Frost Nightmare (2)

759 63 3
By VladFallen

[Black Fang... why aren't you guys back yet?]

Paula asked from the other side of the call with a tinge of worry in her voice. Anxious as to what happened to them since they haven't arrived when the promised time has already passed.

"... Something... happened, so we had to take a stop for a bit"

Tsugumi said with a sigh as she gathered all the raw ingredients inside the building and placed them inside her bag. Deciding to spend her time like this while she waited for Mamoru to calm down.

[Something happened? Is it bad?]

"... Yeah... Mamoru's having a breakdown right now"

[Huh? A breakdown??]

"... Out of 16 people that we were supposed to rescue. We only managed to save 4 of them, and most of the ones that died are close friends of Mamoru. That's why he's been silent since a while ago"

[... What the hell happened? You, out of all people, failed a mission? How did you lose 12 of our rescue targets?]

"We couldn't do anything... we're in an extremely dangerous location right now"

She said before she glanced at Mamoru who was leaning against the wall. Having difficulty trying to control his emotions while clenching his chest.

[Where are you?]

"We're in Tokyo"

She answered, causing the other side of the radio to suddenly become rowdy in response. As if they were all shocked about what they just heard.

[Did I hear that right? You two are in Tokyo!?!?]

"Yeah..."

[What the- ARE YOU TWO SUICIDAL!?!? OUT OF ALL THE PLACES YOU COULD GO, YOU WENT TO THE PLACE WITH THE HIGHEST POPULATION!?]

"..."

[Why didn't you stop him!?]

"... I thought we could handle it but... it looks like the military in Tokyo wasn't able to fend back the hoard. We underestimated this place too much"

[You... *sigh*... So, when are you two coming back?]

"Once Mamoru calms down, we'll immediately leave"

[... Hurry up. To be honest, if you want to go back to Chiba. Now's probably the greatest time to do so. Even if you drive a vehicle with a loud engine, you won't get caught by the zombies due to how loud the wind is. The road is a bit slippery that's for sure, but your safety can be guaranteed in terms of the zombie hoard. Just... control your speed or find a vehicle whose wheels have a good grip on ice]

"Sure... just give us like... one or two hours and we'll be on our way"

She said before she threw the raw chicken inside the bag. Placing all meat and seafood she could find in the large fridge before moving to the dry ingredients stored on the shelves.

"What a dysfunctional team we have..."

She said before glancing at both Tadokoro and Erina, who were also trying to calm themselves down. Tadokoro blames herself for Soma's death, and Erina is still unable to forget how her friend, Hisako, died in front of her. Ikumi on the other hand was sitting next to a fire that they made by burning anything they could find within the warehouse to warm her body down.  The only ones who could function properly are her and Alice.

"You doing good?"

Alice asked as she walked towards her. Carrying several packets of herbs and spices on the large basket she was pushing around. Making Tsugumi nod her head in response before she started packing it all up in the bag.

"But I have to say... that bag is really useful isn't it?"

She added as she looked at the bag with a look of curiosity and amusement on her face.

"You don't seem too surprised about it"

"After what happened... It's not that hard to believe such things anymore"

She said before they heard Erina slap both of her cheeks. Making them turn their heads to see her standing up with a determined look on her face.

"Let me help you gather supplies in this place!"

Erina said as she walked towards them. Making Alice smile in response before hugging her tightly in her embrace.

"Do you feel better now?"

"... I'm good, but... I might need your help to comfort Tadokoro"

"Hmm? You don't want to comfort Mamoru?"

"I know him. He's not the type of person to break down forever because of something like this. He is a lot stronger than you think, so he'll be fine"

She said with a confident look on her face. Making Alice smile brightly in response before they both walked towards Tadokoro, causing Tsugumi to let out a helpless sigh in response.

"Well... leaving him alone for this long is also a bit bad..."

Tsugumi said since she knew that right now he's mental state is extremely unstable. And having him cope after all of this pain is dangerous and she didn't want him to think that he'll handle all of the burden alone. At least, she wanted him to know that they are always there to support him if ever he's having trouble dealing with something both emotionally and physically.

If she let him alone like this, then he'll only start isolating himself or increasing the burden he carried alone. He would make it so that his only purpose is to keep them all alive and even think that it is an obligation to carry all of this by himself. There's even a sliver of a chance that he might just give up completely, but since there was still Saeko and the others waiting for him back at Chiba. He couldn't bring himself to do it.

"But... I have no idea how to comfort him..."

She muttered with a troubled look on her face. Thinking of ways how to comfort him in this kind of situation. Ever since she was a child, she always dealt with her problems straightforwardly. If she's having trouble with something she thinks she cannot do, she'll train herself so that she would be able to accomplish that specific task. This was the first time in her life that she had to deal with a problem that she can't solve straightforwardly.

"Tsugumi..."

Mamoru called out as he walked towards her. Snapping Tsugumi out of her daze before she turned her head back to look him in the eye. Making her see that even though he looked less depressed or sad than before, his eyes had no light or life within them. As if he has already abandoned all of his emotions and just functions according to his goal or what he wishes to achieve.

"Mamoru, um..."

"... You don't need to comfort me on anything. I'm doing just fine-"

"I know you're lying to me... You didn't look like this the moment we met"

"... I'm just tired... both physically and mentally. Did you forget that I'm severely wounded? I just needed a few minutes of rest. Sorry to worry you so much"

He said before turning his body around, causing Tsugumi to frown in response. Making her grab him by the arm and look him directly in the eye.

"Mamoru, if something's on your mind, just tell me. You're not alone and you have all of us with you. Just because you're the leader doesn't mean you have to act strong or carry every single burden on your back. We're a team, and all of us have our tasks and burdens. Your task is to coordinate us all and make most of the decisions. Our task is to execute it and even advise you if we think that it's ridiculous or stupid. Why do you think I haven't stopped you too much regarding your decisions a while back? It's because I know that it's the best we could've done in that situation. I know some situations could have been avoided if we're a bit more careful, but most of it has given us the best possible results"

"..."

"To be honest... saving 4 of them in Tokyo, which is probably the most dangerous area in the country right now. That's already quite a big feat since either of us didn't die from this suicidal mission. Don't be too harsh on yourself, Mamoru. It's not your fault... None of it is your fault. If we didn't come then all 16 of them should've been dead by now"

"I..."

"I know it's hard to accept, but we can't just wait for our deaths here, Mamoru. We didn't manage to save all of them, but we saved 4. Do you want them to also die along with us?"

Tsugumi said with a serious look on her face. Making Mamoru remain silent in response as he looked down on her with the same expressionless face. Creating an awkward silence between them as nothing but the emergency lights shone inside the warehouse.

"... Sorry... I was just taken back by what happened"

He said, causing Tsugumi's expression to soften in response before she spread her arms in front of him. Making Mamoru raise his eyebrows before she shyly lowered her head.

"I-I heard... you'll feel better after a hug, so I'll give you one if that makes you feel better"

She said, causing Mamoru to lightly smile in response before he wrapped his arms around her back. Burying his face on her shoulder, causing his heart to feel warmth due to her worry and actions. Reminding him that he also have people he could rely on unlike in the past where he had to do everything by himself. Now, just like how they rely on him, he could also rely on them in different aspects be it for his mental health or his objectives. 

But regardless, he still decided to carry most of the burden by himself, not only for them but for himself as well. He needed to toughen up and become stronger physically, emotionally, and mentally for him to be able to lead this large group for survival. This is why he has to eliminate all of his weaknesses or hide them to the point that no one would notice. Making him tighten his hug around her body in response. 

"Thanks, Tsugumi"

"Mn... Do you feel better now?"

"I do..."

He said before he raised his head. Making him come face to face with Tsugumi nearby, causing the said girl to blush profusely in response. Feeling his breath close to hers while their body stuck together closely.

"You should... really raise your guard when you're around me..."

"H-Huh?"

Tsugumi muttered in confusion as Mamoru separated from her. Grabbing the travel bag on the floor with a smile on his face before flicking his finger on her forehead. 

"I'm still an adolescent man, you know. If you act so defenselessly around me, I might accidentally do something to you. Will you also do the same once other males start joining us later on?"

"I won't... I only do this to you because I trust you"

"... Your trust is really heavy..."

He said before he walked towards Erina and the others, but stumbled on his step. Making Tsugumi hurriedly support him in response, causing Mamoru to apologetically smile at her.

"Sorry about that..."

"Are you sure you're fine?"

"... I'm just a bit tired..."

He said since what he said was true. Unlike Tsugumi who has a ridiculous amount of stamina due to her trained body. He only has a slightly above-average physique. Not only didn't he have any time to rest and continued to run, walk, and travel for the past few hours, but he also suffered mental and emotional burdens due to the death of his friends. So, all of this combined placed a huge blow on his body, which is on the verge of collapse. All he wanted now was to lie down in bed and sleep. That was what his entire body is asking for, but since they still needed to return. He had to push himself and only rest after they get back with the others.

"Tadokoro... Ikumi, how do you girls feel?"

"I'm... fine..."

Tadokoro answered as both Alice and Erina were beside her. Making Mamoru gently smile in response before he walked closer and patted her on the head. 

"You did a great job coming this far. Just endure for an hour or so. After that, you'll be able to rest without worrying about anything"

He said before he walked towards Ikumi who was still shivering due to the coldness of the weather. Making him crouch down beside her, causing Ikumi to look at him in response. Watching as he asked Tsugumi to get anything be it a blanket or a towel in this warehouse.

"T-Thanks... for saving us..."

"... Don't mention it. It's something... I just decided to do, and... also thanks for holding on until I arrived"

He said before Tsugumi came back with a thick towel on her arm. Making Mamory grab and wrap it around Ikumi to hopefully help her warm up her body, causing Ikumi to shiver to visibly decrease as a much more comfortable look appeared on her face.

"Just warm up here and we'll find a truck we can use. Hopefully, the blizzard doesn't mess up the signal too much and lets us still use the navigation system on the trucks"

He said before he stood up from the ground. Looking at Tsugumi before leaving the travel bag with them. Making all of them, except for Tsugumi and Alice, tilt their head in confusion. Wondering why he is giving them an empty bag.

"Augment the travel bag and give Ikumi Mito, Alice Nakiri, Megumi Tadokoro, and Erina Nakiri access to the features of the bag"

[Augmentation under process]

[$4,000 has been deducted from the user's account]

[Ikumi Mito, Alice Nakiri, Megumi Tadokoro, and Erina Nakiri have now all been given the same privilege in the use of the spatial bag as the owner]

The notifications read, causing all 4 of them to widen their eyes in surprise as the same "inventory" window appeared in front of them. Making Erina look up at him in response and open her mouth as if she has a lot of questions she wants to ask. 

"Alice, you know what to do, right?"

"Explain everything Tsugumi told me to them, right Mamoru-kun?"

"Yes"

"Leave it to me~"

She playfully said, causing Mamoru to nod his head before leaving the 4 of them alone. Entrusting everything they had to them before he grabbed the AK-47 on top of the self. Passing it to Tsugumi and pointing his finger to the staff door at the other end of the warehouse.

"Cover me while I start the truck. Right now, the blizzard has probably reached its peak, so those guys can't hear us under this blizzard, so use it as much as you want, and don't worry too much about being discovered. The loud winds can probably cover up the blast of the rifle, especially since we have a suppressor attached to it"

He said before he walked towards a door leading to the supervisor's office. Making him try and turn the knob to see if it was unlocked, but to his surprise. It was shut tight, causing him to grab the shotgun on Tsugumi's back and shot the doorknob without hesitation. Blowing off the entire knob before he pushed the door open. 

"The keys should be here..."

He said as he saw a large board with a glass protector in front of it, hanging on top of the wall. Containing 10 keys that were all marked with the name or number that they gave for each truck under the warehouse control. Making him shatter the glass to pieces and grabbed one key inside.

"Let's go"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 361 7
There is a mysterious virus that has turned the world to zombies- Wait. I'm getting ahead of myself. I don't own HOTD, any photos/videos used. They b...
9.5K 293 41
The world in My Hero Academia has been flipped upside down when this disastrous event happened. With more reports of the incident, not just from Jap...
274 29 9
WARNING18+: REVERSE HAREM THEME. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. In the year 2040, the world is facing human extinction. There is a pandemic that widely sprea...
239K 11.2K 104
β•°β”ˆβž€ ❝ π™’π™π™šπ™§π™š.. π™©π™π™š π™π™šπ™‘π™‘ 𝙖𝙒 𝙄? ❞ βˆ˜β‚Šβœ§β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€βœ§β‚Šβˆ˜ You lived a normal and casual life in the twenty-first century. In fact, it would be a com...