Sapphire Eyes ~ 10 Chapter Ch...

By ACSutliff

||6x Featured|| Mirna Conlins has a confession: She likes being a runaway. And now, given the chance, Mirna w... More

Forward
Part One ~ My Hands ~ The Letter
Bonus Chapter ~ Berkeley High School ~ Logan
Bonus Chapter ~ Truth and Lies ~ Kaden
Ten Years Before the Letter
One Day After The Letter
Six Years Before The Letter
One Day After the Letter
Four Years Before the Letter ~ Part 1
Four Years Before the Letter ~ Part 2
Two Days After the Letter ~ Dramarama ~ Nora
Two Days After The Letter ~ Jimmy Look Alike ~ Mirna
Three Years Before the Letter
Two Days After the Letter ~ Deb, Miri, and Nora
One Year Before the Letter
Three Days After The Letter ~ One More Week ~ Mirna
Epilepsia Partialis Continua ~ Deb
Calm Response ~ Mirna
Basketball Hang-Up ~ Mirna
Tonic-Clonic ~ Mirna
Nine Months Before the Letter ~ Slipping ~ Jim
Oceans and Puddles ~ Mirna
Heating Up ~ Mirna
Break-Through ~ Deb
Wavering ~ Mirna
Three Days After the Letter ~ Battle Scars ~ Mirna
Code Purple ~ Deb
Build a Bridge ~ Mirna
Sutures ~ Deb
Six Months Before the Letter ~ Sixth Sense ~ Mirna
Ripped Apart ~ Deb
Shattered ~ Mirna
Drifting ~ Mirna
Four Days After the Letter ~ Truce ~ Deb
Protective-Dependent ~ Mirna
Armature ~ Miri
What's Best ~ Deb

Two Days After the Letter ~ Nora and Miri

21 7 31
By ACSutliff

The FC ~ Nora

It's finally time for lunch! Ugh, I'm literally starving here, because I skipped breakfast again to do my ultra fab makeup and tame my black silky hair. I dash out of my English class and make my way to the FC. Our school is so cool, we have a fricking food court. I meet Laurel at our regular table, and we get in line at the best little café in the whole FC.

"So, guess what?" I say excitedly.

"Oh, juicy gossip?" Laurel asks. Her blonde hair is perfect as always. She has her adorable pink earbuds in, hidden underneath her long hair. But I know she always turns her music off for me. She's such a good friend! Her fair complexion is free of blemished and her rosy blush looks perfect as always.

"Totally juicy! There's two cute new guys in my drama class. Twins!"

"No way! We should call dibs!"

"I know. Let's sit with Steph and her crew today so we can announce it to everyone. You have no idea how cute they are! They've got practically identical faces, but their hair is way different, so we'll be able to tell them apart."

"Oh, well that's boring! I was picturing identical twins so we could have fun playing boyfriend swap."

We both giggle.

We order our food, take the buzzers to our regular table, and wait for everyone to come join us. "Hey you guys!" I shout in front of everyone. "Did you hear about the twins?"

"Yeah, they're in my drama class," Drew says.

"Way hot!" I add.

"Girl, you're too late," Steph says. She's the leader of our crew of popular kids, and she fights tooth and nail to stay on top. She's got fiery red hair that is totally not natural, and mystic fake bake that looks so natural she can fool just about anyone. "We met them on Wednesday. Me and Meg already called dibs this morning when you were late to school!"

"Ah man!" I say out loud. Meg is Steph's friend. She's blonde and short, so she gets to be the top of the pyramids in their cheerleader routines. So everyone is always fawning over Meg. I wish I could be on the cheerleading squad sometimes, but I'm no way near athletic enough. I'd make a fool of myself, so I stay on the outskirts of this new popular crowd that I only got to join because Miri became Drew's girlfriend last year. Ugh, high school social standings! It's exhausting!

"That stinks," Laurel says softly, just to me.

"Yeah well, Steph gets bored of her boyfriends really fast, and I bet Meg ditches the other twin once Steph blows him off, because she's such a follower and would hate to date one twin while the other one gets dumped and heartbroken," I whisper.

Laurel nods. "You are so totally right!" she says with a wink at me.

"Yup! I bet those twins are free for the taking in less than a week or two!"

"I'll keep my fingers crossed," Laurel says with a huge grin.

Our buzzer goes off and we head back to our fav café to get our food.

On the way back to our table, I spot Miri sitting by herself, just drawing in her notebook, looking miserable. She catches me looking at her, and I roll my eyes away, but sometimes I seriously miss Miri. She never gossiped about people like Steph always does. I have to seriously tiptoe around Steph and all her popular friends, because if I ever do anything embarrassing, like Miri did, I'll never live it down.

Poor Miri! She got totally rejected by Drew because of everything that happened, and I never actually asked her to explain it all to me, because Laurel unfriended her before I had a chance to get all the details.

I seriously miss her, but what can I do? If I try to make up with Miri, I'll lose all my friends with Steph and her crew. I'd probably lose Laurel too, because she's turning into a mini Steph, all determined to impress the populars and keep her status.

Ugh, I hate high school popularity sometimes! It's like kill or be killed, and I can't help but want to run scared sometimes. Ugh, like over the summer we had to go to all these parties, and we had to act cool all night and drink and smoke. It sucked.

Sometimes I wish I could just go back to before Miri met Drew, when Laurel and Miri and I were just regular friends from our art class who loved to hang out, and there was no pressure. We could have celebrated Miri's sweet sixteen together which we missed because it was last weekend.

Ugh! High school sucks, man!

Getting a Lift Home ~ Mirna

I hurry down the school's front steps and start the short walk for home. My earbuds are already in and my music is blasting. This is actually my favorite time of the day, when schoolwork is behind me, and I can just listen to my music and get out my frustrations with some good physical exercise.

After only a block, a really loud black car coasts up to the curb. The engine rumbles. Then the music suddenly cuts out, and I hear a voice shout, "Hey, wanna ride?"

I pull my earbuds out and really look into the car, and I instantly recognize Kaden and his brother. I stop dead in my tracks.

Kaden jumps out of the car and puts his seat forward so I can get in the back. Then he just stands there waiting for me to get in. I suppose this means I've got myself a ride. I smile and climb into the backseat.

"Where ya heading?" Kaden's brother asks from the driver's seat as Kaden puts the seat back and drops into the car. Instantly I realize with a smile that if Kaden's brother is driving that means he doesn't have epilepsy.

Now I have a choice: do I want the one who's broken like me, or do I want the one who can take care of me?

I shake my head at that stupid thought. I cannot assume I'm going to get into a relationship with either of these smoking hot guys. That's just a recipe for disaster.

"Spaulding Avenue," I say. "Three more blocks on the left. Thanks for the ride."

"No prob," he says, and he drives off way too fast. I scramble to put my seatbelt on and then brace myself in the backseat.

"Why do you walk anyway?" Kaden's brother asks, and he actually looks over his shoulder for a split second to see me. I can't help but smile at the look he gives me, like he cannot believe someone as beautiful as me would ever walk anywhere. Like I'm a princess and should have a chauffeur.

More likely, he just looks down on people who don't have nice cars like he does. Or even more likely, he just happened to be looking over his shoulder before he got in the turning lane to drive the car onto my street.

"Walking is good exercise, you know," I say, keeping the real reason to myself. My house comes into view. He drove too fast and now the ride is almost over. "It's the white one there," I say before he can drive by.

He turns the car into my driveway, nice and smooth. Maybe he's thinking if anyone is home, he needs to look like a good driver now, instead of the maniac driver who just drove three blocks in ten seconds. Kaden gets out of the car and flips his seat forward.

"Thanks," I say and climb out of the car. I breathe a sigh of relief to be done with that ride.

Kaden doesn't immediately get back into the car. He actually walks me up to my front door, and I realize he wants to tell me something.

"Thanks for the ride," I say to him.

He smirks at me. "I didn't give you a ride, my brother did, and you already said thank you."

"You're right. I guess I should say, thanks for nothing, then."

He chuckles softly. "Actually, if I hadn't told my brother to stop, we would have driven right by and you'd still be walking."

"Well then, I do owe you a thank you." I grin stupidly at him.

He grins back at me. I find myself standing breathlessly with my heart thudding as I stare at this drop-dead gorgeous guy, who actually wants to have a conversation with me. Maybe he's having similar thoughts about me, because he keeps standing there with his red ears peeking out from behind his curly black hair.

"You know where I live now," I say, painfully stating the obvious.

He gives me a wide smile. "Yeah, you better watch out. I might steal your stuff."

I cannot help but snort. "That's a good one. I see what you did there, using my own words against me. Very clever."

He laughs, maybe at me, but more likely at himself and his ability to say something witty to a girl he likes. Then I almost roll my eyes at myself. I cannot assume he likes me just because I like him. But wouldn't it be nice if he did?

"Oh shit, I need to go," he says suddenly, and this panicked look washes over his face. He turns and jogs back to his car, scrambles into the passenger seat, and just like that, they zoom off.

I sigh rather melodramatically. Then I let myself inside my house, practically float up the stairs and into my room, where I fall back on my bed, sigh again, and allow myself to daydream of a day, or maybe an alternate reality, where Kaden is my boyfriend.

~*~

1635 Words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.1K 3.1K 45
Fifteen-year-old Kyle Clark just wants to be left alone. No one seems to have gotten the memo. Everyone just wants him to talk about his Mum: his...
736 21 25
Rosalie Jones just wants to get her life off to a good start after graduating from high school but just when she thinks her ex-boyfriend is out of he...
Ophiuchus By rainshine03

General Fiction

6K 370 19
Matthew and Camille, Camille and Matthew. That's how things have always been. Despite living with an abusive father and an emotionally unstable and a...
1.9K 558 35
'I wish our lives could begin again, if only we were different people.' It's definitely a clichΓ© for a new student to become the talk of the school...