The Girl in the River

By LauraTiffany11312

Sage is a shy girl who works hard with her parents and has very few things to look forward to - until an enco... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 4

436 19 3
By LauraTiffany11312

Alone with her mother, Sage washed her hair in a bowl on the table and then sat by the fire for a while to help it dry. They had an hour or so before the festival and since everything had been taken to the centre, there was for once nothing to do but wait.

    Almost nothing. Sage took out her spindle.

    "Did the other girls like your anklet?"

    "Mhmm, Nell has one just like it."

    "And were those boys walking back with you?"

    "No, just some tall ladies with deep voices."

    "Oh, where'd you find them?"

    "They used to be trees, I think, but our dancing woke them up."

    "You must have done well then."

    "Not really, the other girls didn't remember the steps right so we may have accidentally created a summoning ritual."

    "Sage, if you knew the dance better you should have told them."

    Sage looked up, disappointed her evasive little charade had been cut short that way.

    "Maybe I wanted to make a ritual," she said.

    Her mother rolled her eyes at her with a smile.

    "You should finish your bath and change. I'm going to leave soon to help your father with the cauldron."

*

One conversation absolutely does not count as a chapter, but I didn't think it fit with either the earlier section or the next one. ¯\_()_/¯
-Laura

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13 0 1
Being human isnโ€™t always so easy, especially in a world of Lumen. Sage, like most teenagers suffers from an identity crisis, and being a human raised...
39.6K 1.4K 62
SEQUEL TO ๐˜ž๐˜๐˜›๐˜Š๐˜ ๐˜ˆ๐˜Š๐˜ˆ๐˜‹๐˜Œ๐˜”๐˜  // read that first! spoilers below! Athena and Sage decided on a breakup and have gone their separate ways over...
258 4 32
Two people who have a fucked up past come together to pick themselves up. Sage evans is 18 and well has suffered in the past her ex bf was abusive...
746 2 53
Aria Jackson is new to Lakeville High School as a sophomore, and due to trauma from her old school, she doesn't talk to anyone outside her small grou...