The Wedding | 18+

By habroman1a

Two completely different people meet at a wedding. Before the wedding, actually. Their worlds cross. "I ca... More

Preface
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Chapter 5

245 12 14
By habroman1a

Cora

As much as I was happy for Anna and Theo, my yesterday's talk with Leo kept luring me into sadness.

Once I finally called him in my hotel room, half asleep, he started acting rude towards me for no particular reason, making things up like how I ignore him all day. When I reminded him that he couldn't be here for two important days in my life, this wedding and our anniversary, he even started to yell at me. I had ended the call, saying that he can also not come home from that damn work trip.

By the time I finally find my seat with my name card on it, I can't help but notice the name card next to mine that reads "Adam Hayes."

I almost quickly swap the card with another name.

How can I possibly enjoy my meal now?

What a beautiful ceremony that was.

But, of course, I can't say that I was too happy about seeing him again.

In fact, I was panicking once Anna made me go and meet Theo's best man.

And the look on his face definitely didn't make it any better. His face almost turned blue. How flattering for me.

He does look stunning today, however.

"Of course, it is you." I hear him behind me and my insides jump.

My mind convinces me that I had said that last phrase out loud.

"I am no longer surprised." I sigh, closing my eyes.

"Neither am I." He does the same.

"Should we sit?" He asks and gets the chair out for me.

Perfect manners, of course.

"How charming of you." I scoff at him, but sit down. He does the same.

"You haven't seen anything, darling." He smirks at me and I want to hit him.

"I have a boyfriend." I turn my head to him and give him my most prideful smile.

"Mhm. What's his name?" He never loses the eye contact, so I am the one to break it.

"Leo. Why does it matt...?"

"Leo? Hello? Are you under here?" He leans down to check under the table and I can't help but cackle.

"He is busy with work."

"I am busy with work. I am here."

"Theo is your childhood friend."

"And you are his girlfriend."

His eyes stare at me, piercing my body.

It is pointless to try and win anything against him. His pride out-stands mine.

I turn my head away from him and check my lipstick on my phone's camera.

I hear him clearing his voice.

"Did I make you upse...?"

But it is time for the first toast.

Anna's father's speech is so beautiful, I can't help but cry a few tears.

Adam reaches out to give me his napkin from his lap.

"I have my own." I scoff at him.

We eat in silence while I exchange a few smiles and looks with familiar faces.

"Sorry for upsetting you." I hear him say.

"All is well." I say to him back, looking down at my empty plate.

"Then why are you not looking at me?"

"Because I simply do not want to."

A minute or two passes, before I start to feel bad.

I just much rather preferred when he was acting like a selfish prick.

"Now it's my time to apologize. I think we don't get along so well."

"Maybe." He smiles.

I notice he is drinking only water. While I am on my 5th or 7th or 10th champagne glass.

"So what do you do, Adam?" I ask, moving my body more to his side.

"I'm a lawyer, Cora." He says and his hair fall into his eyes.

"Of course, you are." I chuckle and he furrows his brows.

"Let me guess. You are a psychologist."

"I make movies." I make a jokingly disappointed face.

"About what?" He turns his body closer to me too.

His question feels intimate.

"Mostly about love. Don't laugh!"

He laughs. His eyes sparkle. It's just the lighting in here. Or the champagne. Or both.

"Of course, you are." He then says, playing with the gold ring on his pinky.

"Can you show me something from your work?" He then surprises me the most.

I almost gag on my glass.

"I.." I manage to say before Anna and Theo make their way to us.

"Looks like you two are finally learning how to talk to each other!" Anna smiles and I get up to hug her.

I feel my head spinning a little, so I sit back down.

We talk for a little and Adam tells us the story of how he chose their wedding gift. I catch myself looking at him, the grimaces he makes, the way he touches his hair or straightens out his suit. Then they leave to go talk to the couple who sits next to us.

What is Leo doing right now?

"Would you like to dance?"

I freeze in my chair.

"Um, no. I think I have had a little too much to drink, I need to wait it out." I blurt out, not wanting to look at him.

It is mainly true, but most of all, I don't want our hands to touch nor do I want to be that close to him.

"Are you okay?" He moves in his chair and puts his hand on my lower back.

"You smell really good." I am smiling.

What am I smiling for?

This is catastrophic.

"Thank you." He laughs.

"Drink mine." He passes me his glass of water.

"So, tell me Adam, any girl waiting for you at home?" I get up and move my chair so that it is facing him.

"I will get you more water." He says and gets up.

"No girl, Cora." Once he is back in his chair and I am chugging down this big and cold glass of water, he says.

"I don't believe you." I shake my head.

"No one is good enough for me." He smiles while resting his hand in his palm.

"That is absurd." I yelp.

"Tell me about this Leo? How did he sweep you off your feet?"

"No."

"I'm sorry."

"Oh, stop it. It's just not worth talking about." I look out of the window.

I have never gotten drunk from champagne. Will it be horrible tomorrow morning?

"How so?"

"I might break up with him actually." I say.

"I don't know where that came from." My eyes are probably so big and wide right now.

"I'm sorry to hear that." He sighs.

"Stop being sorry!" I exclaim.

"I'm sorry." He says and then quickly puts his hand to his mouth and shakes his head.

We start to laugh.

"So what about that dance?"

"Sure, Adam. I suppose we can't sit all night." I can't help but smile.

He gives me his hand and I take it while he takes us to the dance floor.

I position my hands around his neck and he - on my waist. They're rather too high for my liking but not too low to be disrespectful.

"Excellent dress choice." He leans in and whispers into my ear.

Maybe not so respectful after all.

I feel hot. Like burning.

"You are a great dancer." I chuckle.

"I can't say the same." He looks at me like he would want to eat me.

"Why were you a dick in the cab and earlier?"

"Because I didn't know you."

"So you are a dick to strangers?"

"You could say so."

I notice how his eyes stare at my lips.

My stomach is turning upside down.

"Don't look at me like that!" I groan at him.

"Like what?" He bites his lip.

"Like you want to kiss me, Adam."

"And what if I do want to kiss you, Cora?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.7K 2K 33
(No one else will f*ck you the way I do baby. You're all mine and I'm yours.) "Nessun altro ti scoperà come faccio io tesoro. Tu sei tutto mio e io s...
2.8M 86.8K 54
[COMPLETE] They say weddings are eventful, to say the least. Anything could happen. What I didn't expect however, was him. My mistake. It's been...
350K 3.4K 19
"We can't... you're my client." He chuckled, "so? There's no law against fucking my lawyer." He cupped my chin forcing me to look at him. "Stop makin...
415 120 26
"Why should we live together? I don't think there's a need for that," I said. "It will bring a more effective need for this. We'll feel comfortab...