Lucidity

بواسطة CJLyons

Lucidine, a drug that could save the world...or destroy it. Former ER doctor Grace Moran has been through a... المزيد

Lucidity
Chapter 1 - Wrestling with Angels
Chapter 2 - The Escape
Chapter 3 - Lightning Strikes
Chapter 4 - Hide-n-Seek
Chapter 5 - Vital Signs
Chapter 6 - Welcome to the Freak Show
Chapter 7 - Spinning Tales
Chapter 8 - From the Mouths of Babes
Chapter 9 - Dark of the Moon
Chapter 10 - Night Terrors
Chapter 11 - The Beast
Chapter 12 - Light of Day
Chapter 13 - Parlor Tricks
Chapter 14 - House Calls
Chapter 15 - No Safe Haven
Chapter 16 - Friends of Friends
Chapter 17 - Tears of a Ghost
Chapter 18 - Wheeling and Dealing
Chapter 19 - Wishing Hour
Chapter 20 - Dance with the Devil
Chapter 21 - Razor's Edge
Chapter 22 - Comfort Measures
Chapter 23 - Twist of Fate
Chapter 24 - The Tower
Chapter 25 - The In-Between
Chapter 26 - Graveyard Shift
Chapter 27 - Strangers in the Night
Chapter 28 - Volcano Weather
Chapter 29 - The Great Divide
Chapter 30 - Deal with the Devil
Chapter 31 - Sweet Dreams
Chapter 32 - Half-past Dead
Chapter 33 - Rebel Cry
Chapter 34 - Faith in Nothing
Chapter 36 - Wheel of Fortune
Chapter 37 - Eye of the Storm
Chapter 38 - In the Mourning

Chapter 35 - Leap of Faith

4.2K 141 0
بواسطة CJLyons

Grace fought against the urge to blink. Slowly, control of her muscles returned, but she remained limp in Lukas’ arms, waiting until she was certain she was strong enough to escape.

This time she would escape, she vowed as he carried her across the Skyway and into the Annex. He pushed through the open door leading onto the helipad, knocking her head against the metal frame.

“Sorry, sorry, sorry,” he muttered, swinging around as he searched for an escape route.

“Not as sorry as you’re gonna be,” Jimmy shouted, barreling from the shadows and plowing into Lukas.

Lukas stumbled back, slamming into the wall. Jimmy locked his hands around his neck, Grace pinned between them.

“Remember me, laddy?” Jimmy sneered as his fingers tightened.

Lukas dropped Grace. He brought his hands up, squeezing Jimmy’s throat.

Grace rolled free. Clouds piled high around them, spewing torrents of sleet and rain on the two men locked in mortal combat. Wind whipped the clouds aside for a brief instant, a stream of pale sunlight lancing through the air, pinning the two men in a spear of light.

“Jimmy!” she called as Lukas reared back, then with the roar of a cornered animal, butted his head against Jimmy’s face.

“Run, Grace!”

Lukas forced Jimmy to take a step back then rammed his knee into Jimmy’s groin. Jimmy’s grip on Lukas’s neck faltered. Lukas brought his arms up and forced Jimmy’s hands away.

“She’s mine. You’ll never have her, you devil,” Lukas shouted.

Jimmy charged once more while Grace tried to find her footing. Finally her muscles were obeying her command. But there was nowhere to go. The two men blocked the only exit.

She looked around for a weapon, anything she could use to help Jimmy. He tore his attention away from Lukas. “Forget about me, Grace. Get out of here. Damn it, don’t let the bastard win again.”

Lukas charged him, sending them both to the ground. The two men grappled, rolling in the puddles and gravel coating the rooftop. The exit was still blocked. But there was another way.

Grace flexed her fingers. The helipad sat about ten feet below the rest of the rooftop. If she could climb the brick wall up to the main roof, she could drop down to the Skyway’s glass roof. There was a hatch halfway along. From there she could get back inside, find help for Jimmy.

She ran to the parapet and clawed her way onto the bricks. The mortar joints were rain-slicked and she was out of practice, but momentum and sheer determination kept her moving from finger hold to finger hold until she was able to swing herself over the top. She stood, easing her cramped and iced fingers. Jimmy and Lukas were both bloodied now, but Jimmy appeared to be losing the fight. Lukas was on top, straddling Jimmy, his knee against Jimmy’s windpipe.

Jimmy turned his face away from his attacker to look up at Grace. Her eyes welled over with tears. She was going to lose him. Again.

Then Lukas would come for her. The wasps swarmed as her stomach roiled with terror. She sidestepped until she was just above the midpoint of the Skyway’s flat glass roof, gleaming red as the setting sun battled the storm clouds, then swung herself over the edge. She dangled for a moment, at the mercy of the wind and rain. Sleet, sharp as daggers, lanced into her from every direction.

She dropped onto the glass, the impact knocking her breath away. When she looked back, she saw Lukas following in her path, already to the top of the roof above her.

Her breath came in panicked gasps. She rolled onto her belly and crawled along the sleet-slicked glass. The thud of Lukas’s landing rattled the glass beneath her body. She clawed for any purchase on the unyielding surface, finding only widely spaced thin-rimmed metal supports.

“Grace!” Jimmy’s voice ripped through her panic. She turned her head and saw that he’d made it to the rooftop above them. Lukas was close, too close. As Jimmy leapt onto the Skyway, Lukas snaked a hand out toward her.

Jimmy slammed against the glass, the force of his landing almost rolling him off the edge. Grace kicked against Lukas’s grip. The madman’s mouth was open, the wind shredding his words as he grinned at her in delight, as if this nightmare was the answer to his prayers. He reached his other hand to grab her ankle and began to haul her toward him.

Grace allowed herself to slip back close enough to aim a kick against his face. His grip loosened for a moment and she clawed her way forward. The hatch was only a foot or so away, if she could reach the handle...

A shot tore through the air. The glass beside Grace’s hand splintered into a small star. She raised her head and stared across the void at the helipad.

Eve Warden stood there, a very large black gun resting in her hands. She looked confident as she raised it once more and took aim.

“No!” Lukas cried, leaping forward to cover Grace’s body with his own. The sound of another shot rang out. Lukas’ right arm dripped blood. He looked down at the blood and then into her eyes. “I’m sorry, Grace. I should have loved you better.”

He turned and climbed to his feet, straightening to his full height, shielding her from Eve’s deadly aim.

“I’ll come back,” he shouted to Eve. “I’ll do what you want, if you leave her alone.”

Jimmy got to his feet on the other side of Lukas, while Grace eased her way forward. She grabbed the handle to the hatch and twisted it with all her might. The frozen metal burnt the torn skin of her palms and refused to budge.

“Sorry, Lukas,” Eve said. “It’s too late. For both of you.” Another shot sliced through the night, ricocheting off the steel housing of the hatch, narrowly missing Grace’s face. Grace pulled back, turned her head away. She wrenched her weight against the handle.

It groaned, began to turn, then stopped again. Grace yanked once more, felt it give. She pulled herself up to a crouch and hauled the small glass door open.

“Grace, look out,” Jimmy called as she felt Lukas’s hands push against her back. A fourth shot sounded.

Grace caught her balance before she could fall through the opening. She twisted to look around. Lukas stood, towering over her, his chest blossoming blood. “I was only trying to save—”

His words were swallowed by the wind as Jimmy stampeded into him, launching both men to the edge. Lucas’s arms windmilled wildly, his expression one of surprise and terror as he plummeted into the void.

Jimmy landed on his belly but his momentum toppled him over the edge of the icy surface. Grace watched, her throat tight with fear. At the last moment he grabbed hold of the edge, his fingers clawing into the metal framing.

Grace ignored the crack of another gunshot. She hooked her feet on the hatchway’s inside rim, using it as an anchor, and flattened herself out on the roof as if it were an icy pond and Jimmy had fallen through. Stretching out to her full length, she was able to grab onto Jimmy’s right wrist with both of her hands.

Blood dripped from his nose, one eye was already swelling, but still he looked up at her with a smile. “Isn’t this where we started, love?”

“Stop talking and start climbing,” she said between clenched teeth. “Don’t know how long I can hold on to you.”

“S’all right, Grace. Let me go.”

She stared at him in horror. “No, never. Jimmy, don’t ask me—”

Another shot interrupted her. He slipped further from her reach. Grace clamped her fingers tighter, her arms trembling from the effort.

“My time is up,” he crooned softly. “Let me go, love.”

“No,” she sobbed. “Please, no. I can’t lose you again, I can’t go on.”

“Sure you can, Grace. You always could. And our love will never die.” His smile widened to a grin. “We’ve proved that, haven’t we? Outfoxed them all. Even that bastard, Leo.”

He released his left hand from the roof edge. Laid it on top of her hand, his fingers stroking her naked ring finger. Then he opened the fingers of his right hand. “Let me go, Grace.”

Her shoulders burned in agony as she fought to hold him. He kept his eyes locked onto hers and in them she saw no regret, only peace.

She blinked back tears and opened her fingers.

Jimmy slipped away from Grace. It seemed in slow motion at first, the gold of his wedding ring capturing a stray spark of fading sunlight. He plummeted into the shadows, his body spiraling, tumbling, spinning out of control. Spinning into...nothing.

She craned her head over the edge, saw Lukas’s battered body on the pavement seven stories below, surrounded by a crowd of people. But there was no sign of Jimmy.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

Facing the Kings بواسطة D.G

قصص المراهقين

108K 3.2K 20
"With his death I nearly met mine. Till revenge told me to behead the King." Cameron Martinez, an unnoticed girl who lives in Chicago which seems to...
184K 11K 23
{Completed} Maggie was supposed to die. After six months in a coma and pronounced brain dead everyone had given up on her. When she suddenly wakes up...
5.2K 149 25
ONGOING, SLOW UPDATES. Thank you for reading though! As a young girl you had always believed that monsters as they seemed, were always big creepy th...
Lucid بواسطة Ashley Love

الخيال العلمي

45 5 9
"Some worlds are real and some we create, but I will love you in every one." Years into the future advances in sleep technology allows people to cont...