Story of Our Life

By iamsanya

Story of Our Life The story starts with the emergence of Rishabh Bajaj, a business shark and money monster, i... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
UPDATING SOON
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 18

942 91 19
By iamsanya

It had been a week since they had come back to Kolkata and things at work were cordial to say the least. It was difficult for Prerna to keep calm around the man, especially when they were in meetings and she sat hardly a few chairs away from him. She simply prayed to her gods to keep her actions strictly professional, just like Mr. Bajaj's were.

It annoyed her honestly, how professionally he could act, as if nothing was happening between them. She should have been impressed, but it was the opposite of that and she found herself grumbling most of the time, and could not even tell what was going on in his head.

Rishabh was amused to say the least, after all, Ms. Sharma could not act to save her life. Looking at her blushing face the entire week, he was pretty sure someone would mention it and ask her if she was alright or just feeling hot in the humid weather of Kolkata.

They had met at his place twice in the last week and this was the first weekend they were going to spend together. Prerna had told her family she was going to spend the night at her college friend's place and reached his mansion fifteen minutes earlier than planned.

As a staff member took her bag to the guest room, Prerna roamed around a bit around the hall when she heard Mr. Bajaj's voice coming from the study. She giggled to herself before deciding to surprise him but stopped when she heard a familiar name.

"And that'll be enough to set Moloy Basu back by at least six months-

She had already opened the study's door when Rishabh's eyes locked with hers and she could see Mr. Mehra sitting there as well.

"I am sorry, I did not mean to interrupt-

"It's alright. Mehra, we will talk later." Rishabh nodded at him and he left, leaving Prerna and Rishabh alone.

"Do you have any questions?" He went straight to the point and Prerna walked inside slowly. "I am sure you must have some, ask away."

"Just...what is happening?" She asked and he gestured her to sit down.

"Just business. I am looking at a business deal for next month and the Basus are also interested in it. I was just calculating, if we sign the deal, they will face severe losses." He explained but Prerna did not look convinced.

"You said they will be set back by six months. What six months?" She probed and Rishabh smirked. Ms. Sharma was not dumb and nor did she act like it. 

"Well, it's personal. You can say I am very much after Moloy Basu and his business-

"Why?" She asked and he sighed.

"It's personal, Ms. Sharma-

"How can business be personal?-

"This time it is. I cannot answer anything else now." He said and stood up. "You are free to go and inform them of the same. I don't have any problem."

"Why will I do that?" She stood up as well, crossing her arms.

"Your father works there-

"He'll retire in a few months. And anyway, I don't feel any sort of loyalty towards the Basus, so don't worry, I am not interested in snitching." She shrugged and he looked confused.

"Why not? Your father has worked for them for years, they have been friends, as far as I know, so why don't you feel loyal towards them?" Rishabh asked and Prerna shook her head.

"Yes, you are right. Baba has worked for them for as long as I remember, and they were friends long before that. But that family?" She smirked and walked towards the window, looking outside. "They never treated us like people, more like servants. Mohini Basu is a vile woman, she has never treated my parents with respect, just because they have money. Their kids, Anurag and Nivedita are spoiled brats who think the world revolves around them. Except Moloy uncle, the entire family is horrendous."

She said and looked back at Rishabh, "So yes, I do not feel any sort of loyalty towards them. So go ahead, do whatever you want to do. I will not say anything. I will not interrupt. I will stay out of your way, if that's what you want."

"I don't want you to get into any mess because of me." Rishabh said and walked towards her. "Business can be dirty and I don't want you to get-

"Nothing will happen to me." Prerna said and smiled before putting her hand into his. "But you know what, I do like when certain things get dirty, if you know what I mean?"

"Ohh...I know very well what you mean Prerna...you are pretty surprising, I'll say that." He smirked at her suggestion and she pulled him towards her, both falling on the big, ivory sofa behind them, getting lost in each other.

---

"How was your weekend Priyu?" Her mother asked as Prerna sat for breakfast two days later.

"Achha tha Maa." Prerna said with a smile, sipping her chai. "Why are you asking?"

"Tera chehra chamak raha hai, isilye." Her mother smiled innocently as Prerna almost choked on her tea. "Aisa kya kiya tune weekend par?"

"Wo...kuch bhi nahin, bas bahut zyada soyi." Prerna said slowly, stuffing her face with rice. She wasnt't lying technically, she did sleep a lot. A lot. 

"Saari thakaan inn do dinon mein hi nikaal di lagta hai meri bacchi ne!" Her father's laugh echoed in the hall and Prerna smiled, nodding away.

"Something like that." She mumbled as Rajesh sat beside her, pouring himself a cup of tea.

"Waise Baba, aapne Moloy uncle ko mana kardiya na?" She asked and Rajesh shook his head. "Ab tak nahin? Why?"

"Because beta, this is a sensitive matter. Aise mana karenge toh accha nahin lagega-

"Matter sensitive nahin hai, unka ego sensitive hai." Prerna said and sighed loudly. "Main khud hi Anurag ko mana kardeti hoon-

"Nahin beta, aise nahin hota. Relationships are at stake here-

"What relationships, you are retiring in a few months and anyway, wo log aapko jis tarah se treat karte hain-

"Salary bhi wahi dete hain-

"Oh please Baba, you have two earning kids, khud ka itna bada ghar and Maa ka catering business bhi hai...why do you say stuff like that?" Prerna said in an annoyed tone, looking at her father with anger.

"Tu gussa kyun karti hai beta...ye sab sochna hai. Teri shaadi ke liye paise jamaane hain na-

"Wo main khud karlungi...and anyway, main court marriage karungi-

"Achaa, kuch din pehle bol rahi thi I want a king! King se court mein shaadi karegi?" Rajesh laughed and Prerna shook her head.

"King toh har jagah king hoga na, chaahe court ho yaa Switzerland ke pahaad!" Prerna shrugged and finished her tea quickly.

"Arey Switzerland mein toh honeymoon hoga na Di?" Shivani laughed and teased her sister. "Phir shaadi chahe jahan bhi ho!"

"Shut up!" Prerna almost shouted, and got up. "Office jaa rahi hoon main. Aur Baba, pls Moloy uncle ko iss week mein boldena. Warna main khud Anurag ko boldungi!"

"Haan haan, theek hai." Rajesh nodded. "Tu dhyaan se jaana!"

---

"You look tensed." Rishabh's voice brought Prerna out of her reverie. They were sitting in the conference room alone, waiting for others to join them for a meeting.

"Nothing." She said and looked away.

"You can tell me, if you want." He said and she sighed, shrugging.

"Just ghar ki baatein." She mumbled and he nodded.

"Is everything alright?" He asked and she smiled.

"Aap hasenge agar maine bataya." She mumbled again and he frowned.

"Try toh kijiye." He said and she looked at him, wondering how to tell him.

"Wo...mere liye rishta aaya hai...shaadi ke liye." She said softly and looked at him, but Mr. Bajaj looked unfazed. 

"And? Aapne kya kaha?" He asked and she shook her head.

"Mana kardiya." She replied and he smiled.

"Phir problem kya hai?" He asked further and she bit her lip.

"Anurag Basu ka rishta hai." She said and felt his shoulders tense up. "Maine Baba se mana kardiya, pehle hi...humse pehle hi...but unhone abtak Moloy uncle se kuch nahin kaha."

"Do you think aapke Baba ye rishta karwana chahte hain?" Rishabh asked and Prerna shook her head.

"Mere Baba bas wahi chahte hain jo main chahti hoon." She said and smiled. "He will not say yes to them."

"Then we are up for tonight?" He asked and she could not believe her ears.

"Mr. Bajaj!" She blushed and he smirked, shaking his head. "Yes we are!"

His loud laugh echoed in the conference room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.3K 788 14
Witness the lives of 4 Rathore heirs with their wives. Will they be able to accept each other or will these marriages sink at least as deep as the Pa...
28.9K 898 5
"Iss ishq mein marjawan Kuch bhi kasam se karjawan Hadh se bhi guzarjawan Kuch bhi kasam se karjawan " He puts forward the proposal of marriage t...
13K 997 48
|| 𝙷𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚔 𝚏𝚊𝚒𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚊𝚕𝚎, 𝚜𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚠𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚏𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚊𝚜𝚢. 𝚃𝚘𝚐𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚖𝚊𝚍𝚎 𝚖𝚊𝚐𝚒𝚌...
1.2M 59.2K 77
"Why did you marry me, Alessandro? I am nothing but a burden to everyone." Anupama says with a trembling voice. Tears are streaming down her rosy chi...