Always, Tulip

By Maureentab

~complete~ But what would happen when a military captain who barely talks meets an overly joyous girl who wor... More

▫️Preface
▫️One
▫️Two
▫️Three
▫️Four
▫️Five
▫️Six
▫️Seven
▫️Eight
▫️Nine
▫️Ten
▫️Eleven
▫️Twelve
▫️Thirteen
▫️Fourteen
▫️Fifteen
▫️ Sixteen
▫️ Seventeen
▫️ Eighteen
▫️ Nineteen
▫️Twenty
▫️Twenty-one
▫️Twenty-two
▫️ Twenty-three
▫️Twenty-four
▫️Twenty-five
▫️Twenty-six
▫️ Twenty-seven
▫️Twenty-eight
▫️Twenty-nine
▫️Thirty
▫️Thirty-two
▫️ Thirty-three
▫️Thirty-four
▫️ Thirty-five
▫️ Thirty-six
▫️ Thirty-seven
▫️Thirty-eight
▫️Thirty-nine
▫️Forty
▫️ Forty-one
▫️Forty-two
Extra : proposal
▫️Forty-three
▫️Forty-four
▫️ Epilogue
Author's note
🔸Bonus | 1
🔹Bonus | 2
🔸Bonus | 3
🔹 Bonus | 4

▫️ Thirty-one

14.2K 437 38
By Maureentab

Ginelle's pov

I was already tired even when it was only ten in the morning. I didn't have the energy to do anything, I didn't want to do anything either.

The days were stretching out so slowly even when it had only been a week or perhaps I was the impatient one, as I lazily looked at the calendar.

Seven days had just ended today. I would cross every past day with a red marker, my heart growing heavier each time I thought of what could be happening to Grey.

There was never a second when I didn't think of him, the ring on my finger a reminder that he was gone. I continued to fiddle with the moon imprinted there, wishing so loudly I could see the man behind this image.

The first day since his departure had been so painful. It didn't hurt any less now but I could say I was holding up. I was still struggling but at least I had faith.

I remember excitedly waking up to check my good morning note from him the next day only for tears to pool into my eyes when I seemed to catch on. There wasn't going to be any for quite some time.

The thought made me lose sleep for majority of the first days. I would just lay in bed, so many scenarios going through my head. My appetite was lacking too, my taste buds not desiring any food.

The girls had tried to cheer me up, Leila would visit me severally, Mayella would tell me endless stories of school, Lora had even given me an half day off this week but it just wasn't the same.

I was struggling, even when their efforts did nothing to cheer me out of this phase, I still wanted to appreciate them. Today I was meeting Clarissa, the girl who had helped me out that time at the airport.

I wanted to appear cheerful, become her friend, but the enthusiasm was no longer there. My phone vibrated and I slowly unlocked to read the messages, knowing there would be none from him.

There were three messages from Lora, Leila and Reece. I opened Lora's first, she was checking up on me, asking how I was holding up. I replied with a forced cheery message before checking Leila's.

She was asking me to get ready since we would be meeting Clarissa together and she was already on the way. I send two neutral faced emojis, slightly being honest with how I was feeling.

Lastly I checked Reece's message, he had been regularly checking up on me since Grey left and I appreciated his efforts.

He would at times show up with my favorite snack as he picked Mayella from the book store where she got dropped from school.

Mayella and Dalton's friendship was so strong now, the two even went home together. I loved seeing them but I'd feel so jealous to see them exchange hugs so easily.

I half-heartedly opened Reece's text to see that he had send a video. I blinked twice to get rid of the dizziness in my head, having just woken up, when I saw Grey's face.

I quickly sat up and lifted the phone closer to my face as I played the video. Grey was in his military uniform, he was wearing some sort of head gear and I could see a rifle peeking from his back.

His face was a bit blurred though I saw a cut on his arm that was recently bandaged. I worried my lip to look for any other injuries but there appeared to be none.

I couldn't see his left fingers since his hands were gloved so I couldn't tell if the burn on his thumb was doing fine. I stared at the screen for a while till the video ended.

It was then I realized that he had been talking and I quickly un-muted my phone. He was talking to someone and after listening to the conversation, I figured it was his commander.

Reece must have screen recorded this when Grey was updating their leader. So appreciative of his efforts, I thanked him tremendously hoping that he wouldn't get in trouble for this.

I repeatedly played the video, the sound of his voice lifting my spirits a bit that I eventually got up to get ready as I hummed softly.

Leila found me in that same spirit and I could see the confusion on her face as she repeatedly peeked at me through the mirror.

"What got you so happy?" Leila asked as she came to help me put on my earrings after struggling for a minute.

"New friend," I smiled through the mirror, loving how their pearly colour matched my dress. Leila looked at me disbelievingly as she took her phone out.

We posed in front of the mirror as she snapped pictures of ourselves. I found myself laughing when she put on a funny filter that made me look bearded.

I made Leila some coffee while she helped tidy up my room. After chatting for half an hour, Clarissa texted me to share our meet up point.

It was at a cafe nearby that had recently opened and I'd been looking forward to visiting. Leila drove us there and I was surprised to find the place already flocked.

Most people were however couples and I tried to suppress the numbness of my heart as I pressed on Leila's hand as she manoeuvred the crowd.

Funny thing is how I could easily get lost when I was left to walk alone.

I was one to get distracted easily thus someone had to hold my hand, otherwise they'd spend another one hour looking for me after realizing I wasn't beside them anymore.

"She must be over there," Leila turned my attention to the tables on our left and I tried to catch a red head. My eyes squinted around until they rested on a familiar face.

So excited, I nudged Leila's arm to get us moving. A smile formed on my face, a genuine one, as I approached Clarissa who returned the gesture as she placed her phone on the table.

"Hello Elle," she stood up when I got to her and moved her arms to my side for a hug. Glad that she had initiated the contact, I wrapped my arms around her.

"You're okay?" I pulled back when she asked and I nodded once with a smile. She patted my lower back in a comforting manner, her shoulders at level with my head.

"Your dress is pretty," I said to Clarissa and I couldn't also help but tell her of how pretty she was. She smiled again before turning to look beside me.

"This is my best friend Leila," I quickly introduced them and they exchanged a brief smile together with an handshake.

"I feel like I've seen you before," Clarissa looked at Leila, her head tilted to the side as if she was trying to remember something.

"I'm a journalist at-" Leila paused when Clarissa flicked her fingers and gave me a knowing smile, one I didn't understand.

"Louis Harrison," my eyes widened and when Leila turned to me, I laughed. Her relationship with him must have spread far beyond what she thought.

"You two must have something going on," we sat round the table and as Leila settled beside me, I spotted a ring on her middle finger. Louis must have been asked the question.

I would wring her hair later for not telling me before.

"We're about to get engaged," Leila tried to hide the blush on her face while she pretended to search her purse and I snickered as I nudged her side.

I listened as she told us of how Louis had asked her, they'd been on a cruise ship during one of their numerous dates when she was proposed to.

Leila was so excited and that made me happy for her. She had a man who looked out for her and did countless things for her. I was really happy for her.

"How did you know about Louis and I?" Leila asked after we had quieted down and I turned to Clarissa to learn the details.

"I saw your photo from Reece's phone," we turned to exchange curious gazes; one because we didn't know the men had become that close and two because of her relationship with Reece.

"Reece?" We both simultaneously turned to Clarissa who hid a smile with the palm of her hand, her eyes dropping to the top of the table.

"I just saw it from the boys' group chat," Leila wriggled her eyes at her and I joined in teasing her as we all laughed along.

Leila and Clarissa exchanged numbers and it was then they decided to form our own group chat. They also added Lora saying that it would be easier to organize something.

We later ordered some drinks and some cake that Clarissa insisted on paying. She told us that this was the first time she was hanging out with girls after being transferred here for work.

Leila continued to share about her experiences with Louis while Clarissa told us of how challenging work was getting. I loved listening to the excitement in their voices though I somehow got carried away.

A man carrying yellow tulips passed by us and immediately my thoughts shifted to Grey. I imagined of what we'd be doing if he hadn't left for work.

I imagined us having a water fight at the back of his house where I'd soak his shirt wet just for him to take it off and for me to ogle his chest like it was the most beautiful sight.

Which in fact it was.

I imagined us cuddling as we watched a movie while the night stretched out. Grey loved to lay on top of me, his face nuzzled into my stomach as I played with his hair.

I remembered of how even in his sleep, he would bury his face into my chest and mumble the words 'tulip' in his drowsiness. I imagined us having the best time by just cooking together.

So far away in thought, I didn't register when the girls began to call me. I only realized when Clarissa pulled her chair closer to where I was seated.

"Sorry, did you say something?" I returned my attention to them only for their faces to fall as they exchanged a look.

They apologetically took my hands and said, "We were not supposed to talk about men today." Leila nodded along and apologized for making me feel left out.

That wasn't the case but it warmed my heart to know they were so considerate of me. This was perhaps the reason she'd not yet told me of her engagement.

"You don't have to hide your joy because of me, just tell me everything." They both hesitated but after much assurance that I wanted to hear their stories, they began to speak openly.

I learned that Reece, Louis, Jordan and Dalton were meeting later today for a small game at Grey's place. Since we hadn't planned anything yet amongst ourselves, we planned to join them later.

Clarissa, Leila and I talked about many other things; we talked about visiting a certain clothes store, getting our nails done at a salon Leila frequented and helping with her upcoming engagement party.

I was so cheerful during the next of our meet ups, Mayella would tag along with us and at times Lora would join. I even looked forward to seeing them during the weekends.

These meetings cheered me up greatly, sometimes Reece and the others would insist on joining us when they were bored amongst themselves.

Dalton and Mayella would run off to the toy's aisle everytime we did shopping together. Leila and Louis were never apart for a second, Reece and Clarissa were in that weird phase of their friendship.

Even though everyone seemed to already have a partner, I still had Jordan who didn't seem to mind the rest. He occasionally told me about his family, he had an older sister who was studying law abroad.

While working at the bookstore, I'd talk about a new book with Lora and Jordan, who contributed greatly if they were familiar with the topic.

At times I would pick Mayella and Dalton up from school and they would fill me in with so many stories that I failed to catch up on others with how fast the two spoke.

Everyone was by my side every passing moment. They made sure that I had everything I needed. I would say that their actions made me appear better but that wasn't the case in my heart.

Another week passed then another and another and soon it had been a month. I waited each passing day but there was no sign or even message from him.

Even the videos that Reece send me stopped after the second week and the hope that I was holding seemed to vanish each passing day.

I would pester Clarissa and Reece with questions everyday, I would ask for clues but they didn't seem to have the answers to my worries.

Nana would call every week to check on me even though I could hear a crack in her own voice. I was determined on staying strong and waiting but that seemed too difficult after four weeks were gone.

I prayed, I did everything I could to hope for Grey's safety. My parents were also now aware of my situation despite me hiding this during the first weeks.

Mama would visit me during the weekends and sometimes papa would visit once during the week. I cried each time they comforted me, I cried everytime I watched the news.

There was so much happening and I was so helpless not even knowing the country Grey was stationed at the moment.

The guys would encourage me to stay hopeful because Grey was so strong, something that made him a captain. Reece would say that he is usually careful during missions, nothing would happen to him.

Their words of affirmation mixed with the worry in my heart made each passing day so painful. He was strong but there was usually that fear I had in mind.

So many what ifs clouded my mind, uncertainty creeping on every corner of my thoughts. The moon would illuminate the whole of town at night but why did everything feel so dark?

Everyone kept telling me to wait, to be patient yet I could see the conflict in their eyes. I wondered if truly patience pays because I didn't have a sign that showed that I'd be claiming my prize anytime soon.

Morning would come then the sun would set in the evening, each day my light dimmed, the hope of seeing the man I loved was disappearing each passing day.

If only I could hear a word from him, just a word.

✪ ✪ ✪

No news is perhaps the best news?

Next chapter we get an update about Grey, I'll try not to keep you guys waiting for long.

(⁠๑⁠˙⁠❥⁠˙⁠๑⁠)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

220K 26.2K 70
"This book is the perfect mixture of deep and hilarious. I'm in love with that" - crackhead4ever Teen fiction has given cheerleaders a bad rap. And...
85.6K 7.5K 52
#1 in the desi medical romance series Her lips were inches from mine and her sweet scent filled the air between us, intoxicating me. I slid my hand d...
2.9K 66 14
𝐀 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐫𝐮𝐦𝐩𝐲 𝐱 𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐚 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐰𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐦 ♡︎ ══════✿...
966K 28.3K 39
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...