Perfect Storm: A Murder Myste...

By LeonovaLubov

What if you fall in love with your main suspect? When Theo starts investigating a murder in a small, distant... More

Prologue
Chapter 1. The Wind of Change
Chapter 2. The Last Dinner
Chapter 3. A Staged Surprise
Chapter 4. Prophetic Dream
Chapter 5. Power and Responsibility
Chapter 6. Perfect Crime
Chapter 7. A Drawn Suspect
Chapter 8. Beyond the Mountains
Chapter 9. Two Halves
Chapter 10. A Dance with The Dragon
Chapter 11. Disappearing in the Night
Chapter 12. Repentance
Chapter 13. A Hunt
Chapter 14. Imprinted in Nude
Chapter 15. A Cost of Healing
Chapter 16. Is There Life After Marriage?
Chapter 17. A Little Lie
Chapter 18. A Fall in the Abyss
Chapter 19. A Rose by Any Other Name
Chapter 20. A Missing Piece
Chapter 21. Forever Not Yours
Chapter 22. Obsession
Chapter 23. A Whim of Nature
Chapter 24. A Tricky Role
Chapter 25. Unbreakable Vows
Chapter 27. A Real Gem
What to read next?

Chapter 26. Do Us Part

319 18 25
By LeonovaLubov

Ann sat on her bed, crumpling the pillow in her lap. She understood why Urchin, the other guardian, had intentionally mixed up his text – to provoke a reaction from John. Despite the risks involved, everyone had played their roles perfectly. Now, it was Ann's turn to elicit the truth from him.

This was the moment she had prepared for meticulously. After spending hours researching in the library, she came across an article about how doctors should communicate with individuals suffering from mania disorders. It pained her to see John in this state, but she knew he was unwell, and this was the only way to help him.

John stood by the window, silently observing the backyard. Ann couldn't contain her impatience any longer. "What are you waiting for?" she asked.

He turned towards her, his eyes gleaming as they fixated on her sitting on the bed.

Trying not to shiver, Ann pulled her pillow up higher to conceal her décolletage. "Please, talk to me. What happened?"

Restless, he paced around the room. "I just panicked, okay?"

"Why?"

"Because that idiot Theo got stuck in my throat like a fishbone! No matter what I do, I can't get rid of him!"

"I understand." For the sake of the success of their mission, Ann had to play her part flawlessly, agreeing with everything he said. "I'm truly sorry about what happened. It was incredibly embarrassing for both of us."

"Are you really sorry?"

She mustered her best remorseful look. "Oh, my love... all I want for us is to be together."

"We will be together," he said, landing on the bed beside her.

Before his hand could touch her, Ann moved back slightly. "But we need to talk first."

His breathing quickened at her words, making her heart race in fear.

He can't hurt me, Ann reminded herself. She discreetly checked her gloves, ensuring they covered her Calling crystal flawlessly. When John had turned away to lock the door, she had taken that opportunity to contact Theo. Now, their connection served as a lifeline, connecting her to safety.

Placing her hand on his trembling one, Ann could sense the immense struggle he faced. However, she couldn't allow his unease to make her feel guilty any longer. "You don't need to worry anymore. I trust you, no matter what."

"I don't believe it."

"Then why would I agree to marry you?"

"Because of Theo." He scoffed, a bitter tone in his voice. "He broke your heart, and you're just using me to fill that void."

Ann swallowed hard. John was skilled at crafting plausible explanations. He had a knack for manipulating others, making them feel exactly as he desired. Unfortunately, he seemed oblivious to his own flaws.

"Okay," Ann began, her voice steady. "I want to be completely honest with you. You're right – I was deeply hurt and disappointed when Theo left me. But as time went on, I started to appreciate you more and more. John, you are the man who has done everything to be with me. You've risked your life for me, and I was too blind to see it before." It was the truth, albeit twisted to fit her narrative. She meant every word, but it also encompassed all the crimes he had committed to draw her closer.

"So, you trust me?" he asked, clinging to her words.

"Of course," Ann replied softly, trying to maintain her composure.

His eyes searched hers, seeking further reassurance. "Can you prove it?"

Ann blinked, momentarily at a loss for words. Proving herself was the last thing she had anticipated when preparing for this mission. Now, she had to think quickly and creatively to avoid jeopardizing everything they had worked for.

She scanned her room, her gaze landing on the gleaming bottle sitting on her dresser. It was the potion Marie had given her earlier that day. Perhaps it could serve her purpose. "Okay, do you see that potion?" Ann asked, pointing towards the bottle.

John's eyes shifted to her dresser, then back to her. "Suppose I do. What about it?"

"It's the potion of Prevention," Ann explained. "I asked Marie to give it to me so that we can decide when we want to have our first child." She gently cupped his face. "John, I love you, and I want us to make all our decisions together."

A faint smile appeared at the corners of his lips. "You seem sincere."

"Because I am. And you can be sincere, too."

He nodded, his expression softening. Then, with a swift motion, he reached under his suit and revealed a short hunting knife. The sharp blade glinted in the light, reflecting his obsession. "Do you trust me now?"

Fear gripped Ann, but she summoned all her inner strength to remain calm. Locking her eyes with his, she replied, "I do."

His hand tightened around her throat, the sharp tip of the knife pressing against her vein. Doubt crept into Ann's mind. Is it foolish to let him go this far?

"You won't kill me," she whispered.

"How do you know?"

"Because all this time, you've done everything to be with me. You killed my uncle, hoping it would shatter me and make me incapable of looking at any other man besides you." She moistened her dry lips. "But I'm not broken. In fact, I'm impressed." It was a lie, a lie she had to tell him.

Disbelief etched across his face. "Impressed?"

"You heard me right," Ann continued, her voice unwavering. "I'm amazed by your desire to be with me." She delicately placed her hand on the knife handle, guiding it aside. "You have nothing to be ashamed of. Admit what you've done, and I'll be yours for as long as we're breathing."

He let out a sigh, his grip loosening slightly. "I can't risk being arrested. They would tear us apart."

"They wouldn't dare," Ann countered. "Theo is too preoccupied with you. But I could simply whisper a word to his boss, and he would never be able to be a guardian again. I could destroy him."

"And you would do that for me?" he asked, his voice filled with hope.

"I already have," Ann replied, mustering her best mischievous look. "This morning, I noticed Theo lurking near my house. His accusation at the ceremony is a feeble attempt to bring you down, but he will never succeed." She dropped her pillow and moved closer, her lips almost touching his. "Come on, just say it. Tell me what you did to be with me."

"A lot," he whispered, his grip tightening around her waist. His hand began to untie her corsage, and Ann didn't resist.

"You did what?" she whispered back, her heart pounding. With a swift motion, she reached for the knife he had dropped onto the bed cover, concealing it beneath the pillow.

"I killed them," John confessed.

Them?

His hand trailed along her bare back. "First, it was your mother. I couldn't bear the thought of you telling her I was obsessed with you. You were going to dismiss me, remember?"

Ann's breath caught in her throat. John wasn't just present when her mother tragically fell from the cliff – he was the cause of that devastating event. It was a truth she had never questioned, always believing that John was the hero who had come to save her during the most challenging moment of her life.

He leaned back, cupping her face in his hands. "Do you love me now?"

"More than ever," Ann replied, her voice surprisingly steady despite the turmoil raging within her. Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she remembered that she had his confession recorded by the team on the other side of her door. All she had to do was utter the code word to make it stop. But before she could speak, he continued his confession.

"With Uncle Greg, it was different," John said. "He never liked me, honestly. He even paid for my education to keep me in the capital, further from you." He chuckled, a dark sound sending shivers down Ann's spine. "What a foolish man! When I asked for your hand that evening, he tried to talk me out of it. He said he would only approve if you agreed first. He never believed in me! Little did he know that asking for your hand was merely a formality, and I had prepared a backup plan."

"A snake?"

He nodded, a twisted smile playing on his lips. "If he had agreed and arranged our engagement, he would still be alive. But he went against me, insisting that it must be you, not him, who said 'Yes.' Well, it's not surprising, considering he disrespected traditional relationships."

Ann held her breath. Everything John had implied was far from the truth. Uncle Greg had always loved him and treated him like a son. In fact, he had even tried to convince Ann that morning after she had initially refused John, asking her to give him another chance. Unfortunately, John saw everyone through the distorted lens of his own insecurities, finding evil in people who had only shown kindness to him.

"I want you to belong to me and only me," John declared, his hands starting to pull her dress down.

Ann quickly caught his hands, halting his actions. "Wait. It's not safe for us to stay here. They might find and arrest you."

"I don't care."

"I want to run away with you," Ann suggested.

He froze, hesitating for a moment. "Where would we go? This is our home, our place."

"Yes, but... I'm tired of this mundane 'normal' life. Sometimes I wish I were a dragon. Wild and free."

He laughed. "Which dragon would you be?"

"Nozimos."

Before John could respond, the sound of the door lock clicking filled the room. The door swung open, revealing Theo standing there, with Elajio holding Marie tightly, her mouth covered by his hand. Ann wasn't surprised; Marie's silence was crucial to maintain their cover. If she had made a sound, John would have realized they were being spied on, and their plan would be ruined.

"Well, well, long time no see," Theo said, grinning.

John frantically searched for the knife he had dropped earlier. But as soon as he realized Ann had hidden it, he pushed himself onto her, and once again, they became invisible.

Being shielded by him was a strange sensation. Ann couldn't see herself or John, who held her tightly. However, something had changed – the vapor in the shape of a man floated into the room.

The vapor swiftly cut off their path to the open window, forcefully pushing them apart. It was the last thing Ann saw before she landed back on the bed, disoriented and breathless.

The situation had escalated quickly, and Theo stood at the threshold, observing the chaotic scene unfolding before him. Two men, appearing out of thin air, engaged in a violent altercation. Theo knew he had to intervene before things spiraled further out of control.

Raising his hand, Theo conjured a gray ball of Paralyzing spell, its power growing in his palm. He jumped around, trying to find the perfect angle, before finally hurling it towards John. The spell hit its mark, and John's movements ceased abruptly. He lay on his side, his eyes filled with a burning hatred that sent a shiver down Theo's spine.

With a loud groan, Urchin, Theo's partner, rose to his feet, adjusting his disheveled shirt. "Damn, what took you so long?"

"It's hard to aim when people are moving that fast," Theo replied, his gaze shifting to Ann. She was now wrapped in her blanket, tears glistening in her beautiful blue eyes. Marie was by her side, offering comfort and support. Theo retrieved his handcuffs and secured them around John's wrists. "In the name of the King of the Lake Kingdom, you are under arrest!"

"Wait!" Ann's voice cut through the tension as she stood up. She kneeled beside John, her hand gently smoothing his messy hair. "I'm so sorry for what you've been through. But what you did wasn't entirely your fault."

Marie's voice dripped with sarcasm as she interjected, "Then whose fault was it?"

"No one's," Ann replied. "John was an orphan, abandoned by his parents at birth. His life has been filled with pain and rejection. We can't judge him for that." She leaned in, pressing a gentle kiss to John's forehead. "I'm sorry, but you've caused me pain too. You need help, and now you will receive it."

John's eyes blinked in agreement, and Theo stepped forward to assist him. Despite everything, even Theo felt a pang of sympathy for this troubled man. Urchin joined them from the other side, ready to lend a hand in carrying John to the street. They had a duty to deliver him to the Guardian Station, where he would receive the help he so desperately needed.

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖

P.S. Oh, John... Please, don't be too hard on him in the comments. After all, he is just another victim 🤔

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

THE CRISIS By JYS

Mystery / Thriller

267 59 22
This is a story of a cop and his team investigating a crime and.....
10.8K 629 18
Sage moves to a new town with her best friends. Each one of them are looking forward to starting a new chapter in their lives. Everything seems norma...
65.8K 3.2K 23
Sequel to "The Struggles of Dating a Demon." Mabel knew dating a demonic guardian was hard and, in cases like hers, sometimes resulted in a brief lo...
203 0 15
She's a police detective who can't believe her luck when a beautiful man approaches her in a bar, she's caught quite off guard, and soon realizes why...