Perfect Storm: A Murder Myste...

Von LeonovaLubov

What if you fall in love with your main suspect? When Theo starts investigating a murder in a small, distant... Mehr

Prologue
Chapter 1. The Wind of Change
Chapter 2. The Last Dinner
Chapter 3. A Staged Surprise
Chapter 4. Prophetic Dream
Chapter 5. Power and Responsibility
Chapter 6. Perfect Crime
Chapter 7. A Drawn Suspect
Chapter 8. Beyond the Mountains
Chapter 9. Two Halves
Chapter 10. A Dance with The Dragon
Chapter 11. Disappearing in the Night
Chapter 12. Repentance
Chapter 13. A Hunt
Chapter 14. Imprinted in Nude
Chapter 15. A Cost of Healing
Chapter 16. Is There Life After Marriage?
Chapter 17. A Little Lie
Chapter 18. A Fall in the Abyss
Chapter 19. A Rose by Any Other Name
Chapter 20. A Missing Piece
Chapter 21. Forever Not Yours
Chapter 22. Obsession
Chapter 24. A Tricky Role
Chapter 25. Unbreakable Vows
Chapter 26. Do Us Part
Chapter 27. A Real Gem
What to read next?

Chapter 23. A Whim of Nature

330 18 26
Von LeonovaLubov

Their quick steps reverberated through the marble floors of the luxurious hotel. A magnificent crystal chandelier shimmered in the center of the spacious hall, casting a dazzling display of light. Positioned near the stairs was a reception desk crafted from polished dark-brown wood. Behind it, they spotted the receptionist, a young man with long black hair slicked back with gel.

As they approached their target, Urchin turned to Theo. "I will play the role of a 'good' guardian."

Theo nodded, unfazed by the prospect of assuming the role of a 'bad' guardian. He had already taken on this persona multiple times throughout the course of their investigation, with the doctor in Mountville, Marie, and even Ann. This time, he hoped his accusations would finally yield results.

Urchin beckoned to the receptionist, who approached with a sense of alertness evident in his emerald eyes. "How can I assist you, officers?" he inquired.

"Lieutenant Harrison," Urchin introduced himself. "And yes, we hope you can be of assistance. May we know your name?"

"Anthony Miller."

"Very well," Urchin replied with a smile. "So, Anthony, here's the situation – two months ago, a man stayed in one of your rooms. We need to verify if he was indeed here."

"Of course," Anthony responded, leaning down and retrieving a thick registration ledger from beneath his desk. "We've had numerous guests this season. What was his name?"

"Gregory Storm," Urchin answered.

"Let me check," Anthony said, his gaze dropping to the book as his hand trembled slightly. The visible nervousness did not escape notice. Could he be feeling guilty? After a minute of flipping through the pages, Anthony spoke up. "Yes, he did stay here. Here is his signature."

Theo narrowed his eyes, studying Anthony intently. "Are you certain it's his handwriting?"

Anthony nodded. "I remember Greg. He was a pleasant and polite guest. He always chooses to stay here during his visits. Has something happened to him?"

"Yes. Someone murdered him," Theo stated plainly, causing Anthony to shiver. This was the reaction he had hoped for, so Theo pressed on. "And if you provide false information, we have the authority to arrest you. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir," Anthony replied, fear filling his eyes. "But I haven't done anything wrong."

Urchin's voice softened, dripping like syrup. "Please, don't be nervous. We've simply discovered a discrepancy, and we need your help."

The receptionist swallowed, his anxiety palpable. "I'll do whatever you ask."

"Good," Theo said, reaching into his chest pocket and retrieving a small piece of paper – an order blank issued in this hotel lobby two months ago. Theo and Urchin had obtained this paper from the post office prior to their visit. It was potential evidence as it contained the late Gregory Storm's signature. Placing the paper on the registration ledger, Theo could clearly see that the signatures did not match. Hmm...

There were two possible explanations. The first was that someone had forged the signatures in the hotel ledger, indicating that Gregory had actually stayed elsewhere but had come to this hotel solely to ask the receptionist to send a parcel. However, this scenario didn't seem very plausible. The second option, which Urchin had suggested, was that someone had forged Gregory's signature to send the parcel. This would have allowed the murderer to deliver their weapon and eliminate any traces. It was a clever and almost perfect crime. However, like any crime involving witnesses, it could be unraveled. They simply needed to locate the person who had sent the parcel.

"Someone faked his signature to send a parcel," Theo stated. "By any chance, was it you?"

Anthony froze, unable to utter a single word.

Urchin placed a reassuring hand on Theo's shoulder. "Take it easy. We don't want to falsely accuse anyone of forging the signatures to aid the criminal. Our first step should be to investigate all the hotel staff." He then turned to Anthony. "Now, please remain here and ensure all the doors are closed. No one is to leave until I gather all the employees in this lobby for questioning."

"I'll make sure nobody leaves the building," Theo assured.

Anthony nodded, his feet visibly trembling as his eyes widened in fear. He took a step back before swiftly turning on his heels and rushing towards the backdoor.

"Head to the street!" Urchin commanded, chasing after Anthony through the same door he had escaped. Theo nodded and sprinted towards the exit, determined to apprehend the fleeing suspect in the backyard.

Passing the corner of the building, Theo leaped over the fence and scanned the surroundings. Anthony had made it to the street but upon spotting Theo, he hastily retreated back into the garden. Little did he know that Urchin possessed the Gift of Invisibility. Anthony managed to take five steps before colliding with an invisible barrier. He stumbled and landed on his rear, right in the midst of a flower bed adorned with daisies.

Urchin materialized from thin air and yanked Anthony up by his collar. Theo approached, retrieving his handcuffs and clinking them together. "Your foolish attempt is reason enough to arrest you."

Anthony shook his head in despair, an awkward gesture considering Urchin still had a firm grip on his shirt. "Please, don't! I can't go to prison. My mom is sick!"

"Now I'm sick with you," Theo said with disgust. Perhaps this man wasn't lying about his mother's illness, but Theo was desperate to bring this case to a close. Anthony's actions only served to prolong the pursuit of justice.

"Alright, what my colleague just said wasn't entirely ethical." Urchin released his grip on Anthony and brushed off the specks of dust from his shoulder. His voice softened, taking on a gentle tone as if speaking to a child. "Listen, if you know something, it's best to tell us now. We'll let you go, I promise."

Anthony exhaled, seemingly relieved. "Fine. I forged the signature."

Theo raised an eyebrow. Urchin's theory had worked flawlessly. They were also fortunate to have found a witness so quickly. "Who asked you to do it?" Theo inquired.

Anthony hesitated, giving him a wary look. "His friend. A younger guy."

"John?" Theo asked. "With gray eyes, a tanned face, and wearing a suit?"

"That sounds like him," Anthony confirmed with a nod. "Listen, he didn't have any bad intentions. He just asked for a favor. It was an act of kindness, you see. He had forgotten to give it to Greg on time, so I simply helped him out."

Theo scoffed and firmly grasped Anthony's hand, swiftly securing one of the handcuffs around his wrist.

"What are you doing?!" Anthony yelped in protest. "You promised not to arrest me!"

"And you promised to tell the truth!" Theo retorted, firmly grasping Anthony's other hand. "No one forges signatures as a favor. It's a crime, pal, and you will face the consequences."

Urchin nodded in agreement. "That's right. This parcel contained a murder weapon."

Anthony began to tremble. "What the hell? Why is everything I do considered a crime here?!"

"What do you mean?"

"That guy... John... He blackmailed me," Anthony gasped, tears welling in his eyes. "Greg Storm was a lawbreaker. I knew it, but I kept quiet every time he checked into our hotel. According to the law, I should have reported to the Guardian House when I suspected one of our guests was involved in something inappropriate. But I didn't. Greg paid well and never caused any trouble. But then this John... He found out and started threatening me!"

"Slow down," Theo requested, trying to process the information. "Are you saying that Gregory was a criminal?!"

"Yes," Anthony confirmed.

"What did he do?"

"He was..." Anthony hesitated before finally exhaling. "He was gay."

Theo and Urchin exchanged glances, the pieces of the puzzle falling into place. As Ann had mentioned, Gregory had never married, and his refined tastes and love for flowers didn't align with societal norms for men. It made sense that he would hide this secret, as being gay was considered a crime against nature according to the law. Theo personally disagreed with this perspective, believing that there was nothing wrong with two people loving each other as long as no harm was caused. He also felt that chasing after individuals based on their love interests only diverted the attention of guardians from their true duty of catching real criminals – murderers and thieves. Perhaps their society was in such disarray because of the absurdity of some of their laws.

John had evidently discovered the truth about Gregory and had used blackmail as a means to threaten a hotel worker. Now, Theo had the opportunity to apprehend this despicable individual.

Urchin retrieved the key to the handcuffs from his pocket. "Alright, here's the plan. We'll return to the hotel now, and you will write your confession on paper. All you need to state is that you were unaware of Gregory's 'criminal' activities until John informed you. This statement will ensure your safety when it comes to court."

Anthony nodded, attentively absorbing the instructions.

"Then," Urchin continued, "I will take this written confession and use it as evidence to arrest John. After all, he manipulated you to cover up his own crime – a murder."

"Agreed," Anthony whispered. "I'll do everything as you say. This John must go to prison."

* * * * *

It was late at night when they found themselves seated in the hotel lobby, gathered around the comforting warmth of the fireplace. The letter containing Anthony's confession rested in Theo's chest pocket, providing a sense of satisfaction. With this evidence, he now had the means to confront John. The only remaining challenge was determining the best way to do it.

Urchin raised his teacup in a toast. "Congratulations, detective. The case is cracked!"

"Thanks to you," Theo acknowledged gratefully. "I would never solve it on my own."

"That's why teamwork is crucial. I wouldn't have even looked into this case if it weren't for your persistence."

"Very true," Theo chuckled. "Sometimes I miss our old squad."

A hint of sadness flickered in Urchin's chestnut eyes. He turned his gaze towards the fireplace, the dancing flames reflecting on his weary face, adorned with a light stubble. "Me too. Ever since that tragic day, I haven't been able to gather myself. I wander through the empty corridors of the Guardian House like a lost soul, knowing I'll never see her again."

"That's why you're embarking on this long trip?" Theo asked.

Urchin nodded. "Yes, and I also wanted to offer you my position while I'm away. I'll be gone for at least a year."

"Okay... But why me?"

"Because you're the only person I trust, Theo."

He placed his half-empty teacup on the side table, contemplating Urchin's offer. "You don't have to do this. Our bet didn't go as planned –"

"This was my intention all along," Urchin explained. "It didn't matter whether or not you solved the murder case. I simply wanted to have a nice dinner and give you this opportunity regardless."

A smile tugged at the corners of Theo's lips. Like all individuals with the Gift of Invisibility, Urchin had a knack for being sneaky, but in a positive way. "So, the bet didn't really matter?"

"Exactly," Urchin confirmed. "But I hoped it would motivate you to consider this job offer. Besides, working in the capital will bring you closer to Ann. If you're still interested in her."

"I am," Theo admitted. "It's just –"

"Please, don't tell me you've fallen for the wrong woman again. Is she a lesbian or a prostitute?" Urchin teased.

"No, nothing like that. Ann is perfect."

He chuckled. "Thank the Divine. Because I haven't seen you so preoccupied with anyone since... well, ever."

"But she's so independent, and she's about to open her own school. It might not work out because of our demanding jobs and busy schedules."

"You have a dragon, damn it! Just be a man and make it work!" Urchin exclaimed loudly, causing the hotel guests to turn and glance at them curiously.

Theo sighed, trying to calm the situation. Urchin did have a point. After all, Theo had spent most of his life in the capital. However, now, with the addition of the dragon, things would be a bit more complicated. "I just need to consider Rei. He needs a lot of space, and I can't simply rent an apartment for the both of us."

Urchin's eyes lit up with a solution. "You can stay at my place."

Theo's eyes widened in surprise. Urchin's family was not poor, and he owned a two-bedroom house in the suburbs, which he had received as a gift for his promotion. "Are you sure about this?" Theo asked, still taken aback by the generous offer.

"Why not? Besides, I'll be gone for a year, so you can save money to eventually buy your own place in the future. Plus, working as a lieutenant will provide you with valuable experience and boost your career."

Theo nodded, considering the possibilities. "I suppose you're right. Well, I'll take some time to think it over."

"Take all the time you need. But if you agree, I'll be relieved knowing that someone will take care of my plants," Urchin remarked with a playful smile.

"I bet you don't even have any plants."

Urchin laughed. "You're right. But you can borrow a flower pot from Ann. It'll also give you a reason to invite her to the house, you know, to check on the plant. If you catch my drift."

"I understand," Theo replied, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "But first, let's figure out how to deal with John."

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖

P.S. Okay, now we know why uncle Greg never married, and it's sad. 🙁🙁😥
But at least we know who killed him now.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

208K 11K 27
Frankie Petrovic is in over her head. Her one night stand is showing up all over the place, breaking into her trailer and offering her weird proposit...
Doomed "to live" Von Goda137

Mystery / Thriller

124 5 32
Detective Jones is solving a new child death case. At first glance, everything seems ordinary, but the detective dreams of these events and lives by...
634 23 55
***** Lily has always been a clumsy unlucky person all her life tripping over chords bumping into walls where a normal occurrence for her in her veri...
10.8K 629 18
Sage moves to a new town with her best friends. Each one of them are looking forward to starting a new chapter in their lives. Everything seems norma...