Perfect Storm: A Murder Myste...

De LeonovaLubov

What if you fall in love with your main suspect? When Theo starts investigating a murder in a small, distant... Mais

Prologue
Chapter 1. The Wind of Change
Chapter 2. The Last Dinner
Chapter 3. A Staged Surprise
Chapter 5. Power and Responsibility
Chapter 6. Perfect Crime
Chapter 7. A Drawn Suspect
Chapter 8. Beyond the Mountains
Chapter 9. Two Halves
Chapter 10. A Dance with The Dragon
Chapter 11. Disappearing in the Night
Chapter 12. Repentance
Chapter 13. A Hunt
Chapter 14. Imprinted in Nude
Chapter 15. A Cost of Healing
Chapter 16. Is There Life After Marriage?
Chapter 17. A Little Lie
Chapter 18. A Fall in the Abyss
Chapter 19. A Rose by Any Other Name
Chapter 20. A Missing Piece
Chapter 21. Forever Not Yours
Chapter 22. Obsession
Chapter 23. A Whim of Nature
Chapter 24. A Tricky Role
Chapter 25. Unbreakable Vows
Chapter 26. Do Us Part
Chapter 27. A Real Gem
What to read next?

Chapter 4. Prophetic Dream

489 20 25
De LeonovaLubov

In the morning, Ann paced her room, her gaze repeatedly drawn to her nightstand. There, her engagement ring shimmered in the bright sun rays, intensifying her guilt. Last night, she had hastily removed it upon returning home, but now, all her fears seemed foolish.

John wasn't a bad guy. He had simply adhered to the old tradition and sought Uncle Greg's approval before proposing. She must have broken his heart by evading him last night.

Ann sank onto the corner of her bed, burying her face in her hands. Uncle Greg had wished her well, offering unwavering support since the loss of her parents. Undoubtedly, he desired her to be with someone respectable, like John. She only needed to summon the courage to face him and apologize. If I only was that brave!

A soft knock on the door startled Ann, causing her to flinch.

The door creaked open, and Uncle Greg entered. His round face radiated with joy. "Morning! How are you feeling?"

Ann stood up and rushed into Uncle Greg's embrace. He was a chunky man, often resembling a giant plush teddy bear. His attire was always soft, and his confident presence had a soothing effect, just like now. "I'm so sorry for yesterday," she murmured.

His large palm gently stroked her back. "Don't apologize. Nowadays, people should fall in love first before considering marriage. Not the other way around."

Ann looked up at him, her voice filled with uncertainty. "Do you think I can fall in love with him?"

"Well, that's something I can't say for certain. You see, I'm confident that John will make a good husband. But on the other hand, any successful relationship requires mutual trust and respect, which seems to be lacking between the two of you. I just hope you will give him a chance."

Ann walked back to her nightstand and gazed at the engagement ring, her mind full of doubts. "I don't see anything in him. He's just the guy I grew up with."

"But you used to like him," Uncle Greg reminded her.

"That was a long time ago. We've both changed since then."

He nodded in understanding before walking over to the windowsill. He picked up a tulip with a broken stem from the vase. Uncle Greg was always attentive to small details, fixing flaws and striving for perfection in everything he did. While this trait served him well in his work, it often posed challenges in his relationships.

"Do you know why I never was in a relationship?" he asked, his voice tinged with a hint of sadness.

"Why?'

He let out a heavy sigh. "Because I was never brave enough. At first, I was too afraid of being judged for my choice of a partner, and then I grew too old for it." He smelled the tulip and tucked it into his chest pocket. "There is nothing perfect in this world, unfortunately. Most of the time, you have to make do with what you have and make the best of it."

Ann regarded him with doubt in her eyes. "But what about magic? The spark you feel when you meet someone special?"

He offered her a gentle smile. "Annie, you've lived in Mountville and never had the desire to leave. If you haven't met someone 'special' yet, chances are you never will. I'm sorry, it's just a matter of statistics."

She let out a sigh. The thought had often crossed her mind – the idea of traveling to meet new people and broaden her horizons. Even Marie had suggested the same thing. After all, that's how Marie had met Elajio. However, Ann always found herself putting off taking that step. She enjoyed her simple life here. This place had everything she needed – a job she loved and a roof over her head. Why would she ever need more?

Uncle Greg moved closer, his voice filled with earnestness. "Listen, John adores you. He has worked hard all these years to be on equal footing with you; now he's back. Isn't that romantic?"

"Uncle, I wish I had feelings for him. But I don't."

He retrieved the flower from his chest pocket and twisted it between his fingers, capturing her attention. "I once heard that love is like a flower. You can't rush its blooming, but with time and care, it will naturally blossom."

"Okay," she conceded. "If it's what you want, I'll give him a chance."

Uncle Greg smiled warmly. "I only want you to be happy, Annie. Enjoy this time with John, observe him, and listen to what your heart says."

She gave him a hesitant look. "I doubt he wants to see me again."

"Actually, you have a horse ride planned for today," he revealed.

"What?! When?"

Her uncle remained calm. "Why are you so startled? John and I discussed it last night, don't you remember? Marie and Elajio were excited to join you."

Ann struggled to recall if they had indeed talked about horse riding during dinner, as her attention had been elsewhere. But not wanting to appear impolite, she nodded. "Right. But didn't John change his mind?"

"Why would he?" Uncle Greg shrugged. "I'm sure your friends are already waiting for you in the living room."

Hope surged within her. She had been given another chance, and she needed to stop being foolish with John.

"Then it's settled," Uncle Greg declared. "But I'll skip this ride if you don't mind. I have some important work to attend to."

Ann narrowed her eyes at him. "Really? You can just say you want to give us some alone time."

Uncle Greg chuckled, his eyes twinkling. "True, that would be a bonus. But I also just received a new delivery of plants, and they are quite delicate. They're from the southern Kingdoms."

"I didn't know you were planning to grow another set of plants."

"It was an unexpected gift, and I thought I'd give it a try," he replied, the smile of someone who truly loved their work gracing his face. "Summer is approaching, and I'm excited to have something special for my flower collection."

"Ah, I see," Ann nodded in understanding. "Well, I'll go pack my things then."

Uncle Greg paused, remembering something important. "Oh, one more thing before you leave. Tonight, I had a dream about a big black snake with sharp teeth."

Ann's eyes widened with concern. Uncle Greg possessed the Gift of prophetic dreams, and his visions were rarely wrong. "Maybe I should cancel the horse riding event?"

"No way, young lady!" Uncle Greg's expression turned stern. "Annie, life is full of dangers, but if you always hide from them, you'll never truly live."

"But..."

"Please, just grab an antidote from the kitchen."

Her heart raced with apprehension. She didn't want to take any unnecessary risks, especially when it came to encountering a snake. However, Uncle Greg's words struck a chord within her. She had grown too comfortable in her cozy house, and it was time to step out and face whatever destiny had in store for her.

"Fine, I'll take the antidote with me," she finally agreed, mustering her courage.

"Very well," Uncle Greg said, planting a gentle kiss on her forehead. "And please, be kind to John. He is a trustworthy man. If something were to happen to me, you would be safe with him."

"Nothing bad will happen to you."

"We never know," he replied, his expression tinged with sadness. "After all, I'm an old man."

"You're not too old," she playfully poked his shoulder. "You still have time to meet someone."

Uncle Greg chuckled. "Just promise me you'll remember my advice, okay?"

"Okay, I promise."

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

116 25 17
" It is only yet another missing case is it ?" Theo faber A talented detective who had solved many cases in his career. Is handed another case of fin...
386 15 19
What happens when you fall in love with someone you barely know? A secret kiss on the first meeting, and him mysteriously disappearing? What if you h...
99 21 24
Theo and Reed and their friends go to Sweet Flower , Texas to mourn Theo's father. And solve another murder. The most important murder.
634 23 55
***** Lily has always been a clumsy unlucky person all her life tripping over chords bumping into walls where a normal occurrence for her in her veri...