The Offering

By megan_rose_writes

Almost 100 years ago when the fae discovered they could no longer bare children a treaty was made between Fae... More

The Offering
Prologue
Chapter One - Daella
Chapter Two - Daella
Chapter Three - Daella
Chapter Four - Varis
Chapter Five - Daella
Chapter Six - Daella
Chapter Seven - Aeris
Chapter Eight - Daella
Chapter Nine - Demwyn
Chapter Ten - Daella
Chapter Eleven - Alvaryn
Chapter Twelve - Daella
Chapter Thirteen - Varis
Chapter Fourteen - Aeris
Chapter Fifteen - Daella
Chapter Seventeen - Alvaryn
Chapter Eighteen - Daella
Chapter Nineteen - Aeris
Chapter Twenty - Daella
Chapter Twenty One - Daella
Chapter Twenty Two - Demwyn
Chapter Twenty Three - Daella
Chapter Twenty Four - Alvaryn
Chapter Twenty Five - Daella
Chapter Twenty Six - Daella
Chapter Twenty Seven - Alvaryn
Chapter Twenty Eight - Varis
Chapter Twenty Nine - Daella
Chapter Thirty - Aeris
Chapter Thirty One - Alvaryn
Chapter Thirty Two - Daella
Chapter Thirty Three - Demwyn
Chapter Thirty Four - Daella
Chapter Thirty Five - Aeris
Chapter Thirty Six - Daella
Chapter Thirty Seven - Alvaryn
Chapter Thirty Eight - Daella
Chapter Thirty Nine - Daella
Chapter Fourty - Aeris
Chapter Fourty One - Daella
Chapter Forty Two - Daella
Chapter Forty Three - Alvaryn
Chapter Forty Four - Demwyn
Chapter Forty Five - Daella
Chapter Forty Six - Daella
Chapter Forty Seven - Aeris
Chapter Forty Eight - Varis
Chapter Forty Nine - Demwyn
Chapter Fifty - Alvaryn
Chapter Fifty One - Aeris
Chapter Fifty Two - Alvaryn
Chapter Fifty Three - Aeris
Chapter Fifty Four - Demwyn
Chapter Fifty Five - Daella
Chapter Fifty Six - Varis
Chapter Fifty Seven - Alvaryn
Chapter Fifty Eight - Daella
Chapter Fifty Nine - Daella
Chapter Fifty Sixty - Demwyn
Chapter Sixty One - Daella
Chapter Sixty Two - Daella
Chapter Sixty Three - Alvaryn
Chapter Sixty Four - Daella
Chapter Sixty Five - Demwyn
Chapter Sixty Six - Alvaryn
Chapter Sixty Seven - Daella
Chapter Sixty Eight - Daella
Chapter Sixty Nine - Varis
Chapter Seventy - Aeris
Chapter Seventy One - Alvaryn
Chapter Seventy Two - Daella
Chapter Seventy Three - Daella
Chapter Seventy Four - Aeris
Chapter Seventy Five - Demwyn
Chapter Seventy Six - Daella
Chapter Seventy Seven - Daella
Epilogue

Chapter Sixteen - Demwyn

4.8K 188 7
By megan_rose_writes

I reach the training grounds early, as I did every morning, waiting for my brother's to join me, we preferred to train before all the other guards started their daily sessions. I start wrapping my hands, covering my knuckles as the morning mist settles around me.

"So eager to beat us to death, brother?" I hear Aeris call out as he walks towards me, Alvaryn just a step behind.

"He wouldn't beat us to death, just close enough that we could still walk out of here on both legs." Alvaryn jokes, picking up a strap and beginning to wrap his own hands.

"It's been some time we have sparred without swords, I wouldn't want you both to forget how." I reply, testing both wraps on my hands. "Besides, I'm not stupid enough to kill both of you and have mother's wrath."

They only smile at me, swinging their arms and warming their muscles as we near the sparring ring.

Most feared father, he was the king, and his magic was powerful, but it was mother's magic that I knew was the real thing to fear. She never used it, it was dark and disastrous, black shadows that could bring a man to his knees in seconds. I had only seen it once, when I was very young, before Alvaryn and Aeris. She hadn't known I was there in the room and she lost her temper.

The servants had started screaming as the darkness wrapped around them. When she saw me standing there the shadows slithered back inside her and the servants were on the ground weeping.

The memory had been burned into my mind, I had never been able to look at her the same way. No, I would never want to be my mother's enemy.

I shake the memory from my head, clearing my thoughts.

"Aeris, you first." I call out expecting a complaint but he only stretches his neck from side to side and comes to stand in front of me.

"Three taps?" He asks rolling his shoulders.

"Three taps." I agree, our only rule. Three taps and you resign. Other than that anything was allowed.

Aeris was quick, striking first. We move quickly, fists swinging, it doesn't take long before we are both breathing hard, sweat clinging to my shirt.

"Did you enjoy your dance partners last night Dem?" He asks, trying to distract me as he grins, blood lining his lower lip in a bright red streak.

"They were fine." I reply, avoiding his right hook before hooking my foot around his ankle but he dances out of it, laughing as he spins.

"You missed out on dancing with Daella though."

I shake my head. "I'm not playing your game with her." I reply as we stalk each other. I had decided last night to step out of their game, or whatever it was they were playing at.

Aeris moves lightning quick, three paces before he attacks, I block his first move but he expects it, landing three quick blows to my kidneys, I grunt, grabbing his arm and twisting it around behind his back close to the point of breaking.

"Three taps is all it takes." I say close to his ears, his smiles, blood on his teeth.

"But I have you right where I want you." He groans.

I pull tighter and he grits his teeth together.

"Well then I guess the healers can repair your broken arm, or maybe your arm and your leg?" I ask, kicking the back of his knee. He grunts as his knees hit the ground and I step onto his calf, pressing my boot down hard enough it would leave a bruise.

He brings up his hand and taps my forearm three times and I release him.

He catches himself and I hold my hand out to help him up. He takes it, heaving himself up I clap him on the shoulder.

"Alvaryn." I call out, beckoning him with my hand.

He claps Aeris on the shoulder as he walks past then rolls his shoulders, stretching his neck from side to side.

"Same rules?" He asks and I nod. "Don't need to catch your breath?" He grins moving into stance.

"Just fight." I shake my head.

He doesn't strike first, he never does, waiting for me to make the first move.

"You know I'm not playing Aeris' game with Daella." He says, ducking my fist before striking out.

"No? Then why did you dance with her?" I reply, not believing him.

He shrugs. "I wanted to see if she liked my book recommendations from the other day." He answers, walking around me in a tight circle.

"Why are you giving her books to read in the first place?" I counter.

"Why not?"

"I just enjoy getting a rise out of her, she has a fiery temper under those pretty dresses." Aeris says, peeling off the tape from his hands.

Alvaryn uses my moment of distraction to strike, landing a fist to my jaw and another to my side.

I growl under my breath, no more talking about Daella and whatever game it is they were or were not playing.

I go on the attack, relentless and unforgiving. Alvaryn bleeds from his brow and his jaw is red and swelling, both breathing hard I decide he has had enough and flip him on his back, straddling him I wrap my hands around his throat, he struggles, legs fighting the hold as his face turns bright red until finally he taps on my hand three times.

I let go of him, standing up and pulling him up.

He coughs, taking in deep breaths hunched over.

I walk back over to Aeris, peeling off the wraps, knuckles bruised.

"We didn't even make him bleed." Aeris comments as Alvaryn comes to stand with us.

"One day," he breathes heavily. "One day we will."

"Just not today." I grin. "You might have a chance if you both went against me at the same time."

They just both stare at me unsmiling and I laugh.

"Speaking of dancing, if neither of you are playing a game for Daella, does that mean neither of you are interested in her for the selection?" I ask, watching their expressions change subtly.

We usually avoided talking about the selection. From the moment father had told us we would be choosing from this years offering we had joked about it, never taking it seriously. But the selection was getting closer and we couldn't ignore it for much longer.

"I can't speak for Alvy, but it amuses me to no end when Daella snaps back at me with that little spark of hers." Aeris smiles, not really answering my question.

"It seems like an impossible thing to choose someone to marry that you barely know." Alvaryn answers and I turn to him. It did feel like an impossible thing, but it has been done for years, even mother and father weren't mates, they didn't even know each other before they were married.

"Imagine it from their perspective." Aeris says making us both stare at him like he had just grown a second head. He shrugs. "I'm just saying that maybe not all of them like the idea of being chosen to be married and live here forever. At least we get to choose, they don't."

I want to ask where my brother was and who was now in his place but Alvaryn interrupts my questions.

"I've been thinking the same thing." He admits. "Most of them seem happy and excited about the prospect and they are all treated well and their lives would surely be better than any life they would have in the human world. Just thinking about it from their perspective makes The Offering seem different."

Aeris nods, prodding his split lip.

"Your thoughts don't surprise me Alvaryn, but you Aeris, since when did you start seeing things from other people's points of view?" I ask.

"Don't worry Dem, I haven't lost my mind." He laughs. "Just being part of this offering is different from only watching it. I'd never given a moment's thought to any of the humans that were part of the previous offerings."

"And now talking to them has made you change your mind?"

"It hasn't changed my mind." He insists. "I thought you would both be happy I'm not just thinking of myself for once."

"It isn't about thinking about someone else. But The Offering is an important tradition to our Kingdom, you both know that. The women aren't stolen and bought here in shackles, they are given to us freely and with consent. Without them our race would stop producing children and we would die out. So while it might be considerate to look at the offering from their point of view it wont change anything."

They both nod in agreement.

I couldn't have them questioning the Offering and what it meant. It was vital to our Kingdom and our race. As heir to the throne I knew if we didn't have the offering then I would end up ruling a dying people with no solution.

"Come on, beating you both to a pulp has made me hungry." I say walking towards the palace walls.

"One of these days Dem, one of these days one of us will beat you in this training ring." Aeris says following me with a soft groan.

I laugh. "I won't hold my breath." I call back over my shoulder.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.3K 658 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
1.2K 34 3
"Did he do this to you my queen?" Dark onyx eyes searched her own for an answer. "It does not signify." She said bitterly. "It is none of your concer...
6.4K 146 30
Once Upon a time, there was a Princess..... Oh who am I kidding, my story is not a fairy tale. My name is Arabella and I am a run-away princess, if a...
188K 12K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...