Naval Research Book III: Oper...

By MendyOriente

Log #2899: Planet: Kepler-22b August 14, 2187 This is from the United Alliance Salvage Department, we have su... More

Title: Reporting for Duty
Dedication: Centuries of the Seas
Introduction: A Human Concept
Bio #1: U.S.S. Yorktown (CV-10)
Bio #2: U.S.S. Intrepid (CV-11)
Bio #3: U.S.S. Hornet (CV-12)
Bio #4: U.S.S. Lexington (CV-16)
Bio #5: U.S.S. Midway (CV-41)
Bio #7: U.S.S. Texas (BB-35)
Bio #8: U.S.S. North Carolina (BB-55)

Bio #6: U.S.S. New York (BB-34)

50 2 0
By MendyOriente

Ship Bio #1: Class and Service

U.S.S. New York (BB-34) is the lead ship of the New York-class battleships. She was built around the 1910s and entered service during World War 1. She was also built to carry the 14-inch (356 mm)/45-caliber gun.

Entering service in 1914, she was part of the U.S. Navy force which was sent to reinforce the British Grand Fleet in the North Sea near the end of World War I. During that time, she was involved in at least two incidents with German U-boats, and is believed to have been the only US ship to have sunk one in the war, during an accidental collision in October 1918. 

Following the war, she was sent on a series of training exercises and cruises in both the Atlantic and the Pacific, and saw several overhauls to increase her armament, aircraft handling and armor.

She continued to conduct training and patrol duties in the Pacific until the mid-1930s when she was transferred again to the Atlantic, and began operating out of the North Atlantic, with the exception of several occasional trips to the West Coast of the United States.

In 1926, U.S.S. New York was considered obsolete compared with other battleships in service, so she steamed to Norfolk Navy Yard for a complete refit. While several other battleships in service, including and were converted to training ships or scrapped, New York and Texas were chosen to be overhauled to increase their speed, armor, armament, and propulsion systems as allowed by the of 1922.

A massive overhaul was held for both New York-class battleships, they're given additional 3,000 long tons (3,000 t) were added to her for defense against aerial targets and submarines. The number of 3-inch AA guns was increased to 8, and six of the 5-inch guns were relocated to new casemates on the main deck. The torpedo tubes were removed at this time. Her 14 Babcock & Wilcox were replaced with six Bureau Express oil-fired boilers and the twin funnels were trunked into one, aft of the forward superstructure. 

Tripods were fitted in place of lattice masts, and atop the forward tripod a control tower was installed. A tower was built amidships that contained additional fire control to backup the system on the foremast. A new was installed atop turret Number 3, and cranes were installed on either side of the funnel for boat and aircraft handling. Additional deck protection was added, and her beam was widened to 106 ft (32 m). She was fitted with . However, these bulges made maneuvering harder at low speeds, she rolled badly, and her gunfire accuracy was reduced in rough seas.

In September 1939, New York joined the Neutrality Patrol, safeguarding sea lanes in the North Atlantic, and served as flagship with the Atlantic Squadron, later redesignated the United States Atlantic Fleet, for the next 27 months.

In July 1941, she protected a convoy of U.S. troops moving to garrison Iceland.

She was in the midst of a refit on 7 December 1941, when the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked Pearl Harbor, sinking many of the battleships in the U.S. Pacific Fleet and bringing the United States into World War II.

With the outbreak of WW2, U.S.S. New York's overhaul was sped up and completed four weeks after the attack on Pearl Harbor. She returned to duty escorting cargo and troop ships to Iceland and . She continued on patrol duty for the next year.

She participated in the Battle of the Atlantic, the European Theater and the Pacific Theater.

She was selected to return action in the Pacific alongside her sister ship in late 1944. She participated as a support force for the Invasion of Iwo Jima.

Together, they arrived at Iwo Jima on 16 February and began the pre-invasion bombardment During the three days of shore bombardment that followed, New York expended 6,417 rounds, including 1,037 14-inch rounds. One of her salvoes struck the primary ammunition dump on the island, causing "the most spectacular secondary explosion in the campaign." She retired from the area on 19 February and arrived at Ulithi on 21 February.

She then rejoined Task Force 54 in preparation for the Invasion of Okinawa. Joined by Maryland, Colorado, and West Virginia, the fleet of battleships began its bombardment of Okinawa on 27 March. Providing shore bombardment, and later naval artillery support for ground forces, New York was on station for 76 consecutive days, during which she expended 4,159 rounds of 14-inch ammunition and 7,001 rounds of 5-inch ammunition.

After the operation, she was detached on June 11, this is due to her gun barrels having been worn out by fire, and proceeded to Pearl Harbor to have her guns relined in preparation for the invasion of mainland Japan. The Invasion never happened as Japan surrenders on September 2, 1945.

Throughout the 2nd World War, she earned 3 Battle Stars.

However, though she had a long career, being a ship that served on both World Wars, the United States had other plans since the success of the atomic bomb. 

U.S.S. New York (BB-34) is selected as one of the ships for Operation Crossroads, she was used in nuclear bomb tests at Bikini Atoll in July 1946 with about 70 other ships, surviving both the Able and Baker tests. But the ship was recorded with high rates of radioactivity, so there is no way of preserving her.

Following these tests, she was towed to Pearl Harbor to study the effects of the bomb blasts on her. Then, 2 years later on July 6, 1948, she was towed out of sea and used as a target ship, she was bombarded with several naval aircraft and ships before she was capsized, sinking her in the process.

It is unknown if her human embodiment watches over her little sister. But it is highly possible that she saw what happened to her on Operation CrossXs on July 7, 2054.

Ship Bio #2: SHIP

Ship Bio #3: Armaments and Others

As built:

5 × twin 14 in (356 mm) guns 

21 × single 5 in (127 mm) guns 

4 × single 3-pounder 47 mm (1.85 in) saluting guns 

2 × single 1-pounder 37 mm (1.46 in) guns 

4 × 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes

1925-1926 refit:

5 × twin 14 in (356 mm) guns 

16 × single 5 (127 mm) in guns 

8 × single 3 in (76 mm) AA guns

1942 refit:

5 × twin 14 in (356 mm) guns 

6 × single 5 (127 mm) in guns 

10 × single 3 (76 mm) in AA guns 

6 × quadruple 40 mm (1.6 in) Bofors AA guns 

42 × single 20 mm (0.8 in) Oerlikon AA guns

Ship Bio #4: HUMAN EMBODIMENT

Nicknames:

1. The Old Lady of the Sea

2. Christmas Ship

3. Ship-High Skyline

Ship Bio #5: SHIP RIGGINGS

Ship Bio #6: AZUR LANE DESIGN - Drawn by me in 2023

Ship Bio #7: AZUR LANE DESIGN - Official

-NO OFFICIAL DESIGN YET | LOOK FURTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR AZUR LANE-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.5K 252 18
Two Different Worlds Two Different Timelines and Both have the Same Enemy. Then Both Worlds are Under attack By the same enemy an Advance Alien Human...
490 17 4
After the end of the Great Gatlantean Era and the Destruction of the Gamilan homeworld, The Earth Federation has seeked out ways to prevent what woul...
2.5K 9 31
After the death of American flagship Arizona, the Pacific fleet is reeling as it struggles to push back the tide of Japan's advance. In the Atlantic...
17.9K 604 43
HELLO! I am USS Cowpens CVL 25! One of the Eagle unions many azured vessels, I like a hand full of others am male! I started my life as a Cleveland C...