Ink Lines

Autorstwa ShenWeiLightning

It's been thirteen years since Lan Zhan was last in a room with Wei Wuxian, but its been five minutes since h... Więcej

Chapter 1. Present Day
Chapter 2. One Year Ago - Caiyi City
Chapter 3. One Year Ago - Jiang Yanli
Chapter 4. One Year Ago - Found
Chapter 5. One Year Ago - August into September
Chapter 6. Reasons
Chapter 7. October Meetings - 9 Months Ago
Chapter 8. November Tea - 8 Months Ago
Chapter 9. January- Fierce Little Tiger
Chapter 10. Five Months Ago -February
Chapter 11. Five Months Ago- February P2
Chapter 12. Five Months Ago - February P3
Chapter 13. Four Months Ago - March
Chapter 14. Three Months ago- Beginning of April
Chapter 15. Three Months Ago-April
Chapter16. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 17. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 18. Two Months Ago - Early May
Chapter 19. One Month Ago. June
Chapter 20. June - Brothers
Chapter 21. June: Force of Nature
Chapter 22. June: Nie Sect
Chapter 23. June: Feels Like A Dream
Chapter 24. Wen Qing
Chapter 25. June: Grey Eyes
Chapter 26. Your Edges Are A Mirror of Mine
Chapter 27. June. Let's Start A War
Chapter 28 Nie Sect Upending
Chapter 29. Lotus flowers
Chapter 30. Crashing Down - Meet Me There
Chapter 31 June: Foxfire
Chapter 32 Jiang Cheng
Chapter 33
Chapter 35: Plan ahead

Chapter 34 June: Murder

88 14 2
Autorstwa ShenWeiLightning

The call came in the early hours of the morning, pulling Lan Zhan from sleep.

From years on call and fear rooted in the back of his mind born from the ashes of Gusu, Lan Zhan snapped into awareness. One hand reached for the handgun under his pillow only to find its absence, his head lifting from the pillow in worry to find the unfamiliar walls of the room that he was sharing with Wei Ying.

Lotus Pier.

They were sleeping in the spare guest suite of the main house until Jiang Cheng returned, Lan Zhan remembered. The phone went silent on the beside table where it was charging.

Wei Ying missed it entirely. The love of his life was deeply asleep, curled into his chest, his head over Lan Zhan's heart, chest rising and falling rhythmically, a hand flung over his hip. No part of Lan Zhan wanted to be parted from him for a second, but that ringtone meant trouble.

It was easy technically to gently tug Wei Ying over, sliding the pillow underneath him and making sure to pull the cover up and it wasn't easy at all leaving him sleep warm and so beautiful. It was summer in Yunmeng so the air was humid, but the air conditioning unit was keeping the temperature fairly even and Wei Ying he learned, easily got cold when he slept. So Lan Zhan tucked him up and he burrowed down within seconds, one foot leaving the covers in a sensual arch.

This better be a breakthrough or someone better be dead.

Picking up his phone, Lan Zhan padded to the bathroom as a precaution. If Wei Ying did wake, this was of course a perfectly acceptable excuse.

Throwing a silencing charm on the door, Lan Zhan dialed the number back. He sat on the edge of the bath and listened as the world once again changed beneath his feet.

As it turned out, Lan Zhan didn't return to the bed. The rest of the night and early morning was devoted to crisis management and confirming what he had been told using as many sources as he could lay hands on, panic churning in his heart.

His network had just discovered that Jin Guangshan had ordered and paid-for a hit on Jiang Cheng.

____

Lan Qiren had a fondness for ancient poetry and a life-time of admiration for what he called wise proverbs. One of his favorite sayings was The player is lost; the watcher is lucid. It meant of course that the individual involved in a matter cannot have a comprehensive overview of it, when they are a part of the details, while an onlookers can maintain an objective attitude and perhaps understand more.

It was a relevant quote for any sporting event and every cultivator investigative case, but at this point in time, Lan Zhan cannot say that he is a player or a watcher, as the very real danger to the Jiang family unravels even further.

Erroneously, he had thought that he had all of the threads in his hands and they as a united group had planned for every scenario. The arrest of Wen Xu loomed closer, evidence piling up and in the right hands, something he had ensured, there would finally be justice.

But they had a choice. The Wen who seemed to be the bigger, more dangerous problem with such an unstable, impulsive leader prone to violent rages...or they could go after the Jin. They didn't have the resources to do both.

The Wen wanted the heads of the Yunmeng Jiang brothers. The Wen were corporate rivals of the Jiang. The Wen had attacked Lotus Pier once before and murdered Wei Ying's family, except for his siblings. The Wen had tried to assassinate Jiang Cheng once before.

So far the Jin had infiltrated Lotus Pier and had tried to plant evidence. His own son and successor was married to Jiang Yanli.

Lan Zhan wanted justice for it, but in comparison to the threat of the Wen, they seemed less of a threat. Jin Guangshan could not destabilize the Jiang without damaging himself. Without risking his son.

The Jin were harder in an ironic, bitter way. They could pin murder, several corruption charges and conspiracy to commit murder on several disciples, but that was the problem. Nothing they had on the Jin led further up the chain of command. Other than the very crimes Lan Zhan knew Jin Guangshan had committed personally, had been a witness to, there was nothing to pin on the upper members of the sect. None of the sect leaders present, Brother included - could, or would be willing to, demand compensation or demand justice over Jin Guangshan using his nephew to infiltrate Jiang sect grounds.

They were all party to it, unwillingly or not.

So he cannot imprison Jin Guangshan for all his crimes as easily as he potentially can Wen Xu. Unlike the younger clan leader, Jin Guangshan was not stupid enough to be caught on tape doing anything.

He will cause an uproar and deflect blame onto his disciples. He will defend his clan name and honor, use blackmail, threats and bribes than cannot be traced back to him and then hang his people out to dry, as Wei Ying would say.

But now it seems, whether he is doing this on the orders of the Wen or not, Jin Guangshan is out for Jiang Cheng's life.

He had no idea what he can do to protect Jiang Cheng any more than the precautions that he - and Wei Ying in his paranoia - have already taken. Jiang Cheng has his disciples and Wen Qing with him. He is staying in the heart of the Unclean Realm with Brother, who has he already notified. He is returning to Lotus Pier soon and Lan Zhan can offer to be at the airfield or have members of their network there as well.

All the plans in the world do not account for Jiang Cheng himself.

Jiang Cheng calls Lotus Pier when Wei Ying is yawning over his breakfast tea in his customary black and red, the lotus charm dangling from his waist, the belt of the Head Disciple in place. The entire table knows its bad when Wei Ying who had been slumped over his mug, sits up nearly straight, grey eyes going from barely focused to rage filled.

And if Lan Zhan needed a sign that things were about to head south, this was definitely one. Jiang Yanli had looked worried, but Wei Ying's expression had cleared," ...Yeah of course." Wei Ying had said rising from the table, "Hang on, let me check the roster."

The roster was a permanent fixture in Wei Ying's head. He never forget who was scheduled for what rotation, because Jiang had a complex work arrangement. They taught cultivation studies here at Lotus Pier in five divisions, trained what they called clan disciples across their land and had a training academy over in Yunmeng city on a campus adjoining the city university. All of these students and disciples cycled through Lotus Pier throughout the year. Then there were the core section of the Jiang that never left the land.

Lan Qiren had derisively called them the Jiang personal army, but since the attack on Lotus Pier, this division of cultivator disciples had moved from wherever they were before, right onto the pier. All of the accommodation around Lotus Pier was fully occupied.

Many of them were veterans like Wei Ying but whether they were employed during Jiang Fengmian's leadership or his son's wasn't something talked about. The total number was vague, but Lan Zhan suspected they were around hundred, gravitating in and out of Lotus Pier as their secondary employment allowed.

Somehow Wei Ying kept all of this organized. This excuse to leave the table was just that.

Wei Ying excuses him and disappears into Jiang Cheng's office, remaining there for twenty minutes. The children head off and all of the family including Jin Zixuan wait anxiously, hyper aware that something bad is going down.

"Here he is." Jiang Yanli says as her brother approaches.

He walks calmly to the pavilion on the water where they wait, and he tells them the news that Jiang Cheng is returning as scheduled but he wants Wei Ying to fly out to him.

Lan Zhan is genuinely shocked and he can tell that the entire family is well, from Fourth Uncle to Jin Zixuan.

Wei Ying is of course in charge of Lotus Pier and had sworn to remain here to protect their clan and home while Jiang Cheng is away. Not go haring off towards the danger! But Jiang Cheng is much his little brother as his sect leader, and he's asked for him, so nothing can really stand in Wei Ying's way. And they have clearly spoken about it at length.

Wei Ying is not annoyed he has to go or perturbed by it, but there is a hardness in his eyes that Lan Zhan doesn't like. He looks like a soldier, waiting for his deployment.

Nie Huaisang needs to return to Lotus Pier to prevent him from ending up murdered before he can either press charges, act as a material witness or add anything more to his testimony. A great number of people want him dead. The Jin sect, the Wen sect and several members of the Nie sect as well.

Wei Ying, to circumvent the plot to kill Nie Huaisang is to bring him back with a contingent of Jiang disciples, on the overnight train to Wuchang station. They plan to book several flights and confuse their enemies, while Wei Ying hides in plain sight, using one of his never-published talisman designs.

He tells the entire table this, because the former Wen are just as concerned, many of them volunteering to go with him.

These talismans cannot fool DNA, but one set can misdirect attention and another can temporarily - timed in minutes according to Wei Ying - disguise a person as someone else. He doesn't trust that their use would be secure, so he's never admitted to them. They'll last long enough to get Nie Huaisang on the train into a compartment on the overnight express and off again.

Lan Zhan presumes he will follow and is already planning for how he can protect Wei Ying on this flight and during this train journey, when both Jiang Cheng officially and Wei Ying privately, ask him and Jin Zixuan to remain behind. The greatest honor and act of trust any sect leader can bestow. To guard their home lands - ceremonially or officially at least - while they are absent. Specifically, Wei Ying is leaving the care of his child, his young nephew and his beloved sister in Lan Zhan's hands.

As much as he wants to stay glued to Wei Ying's side, he cannot say no.

Jin Zixuan is overwhelmed and he of course agrees. He has no clout here but the point is someone guarding the house with cultivation training and rank. Wen Ning is also to stay but Wei Ying does ask the Wen defectors to all stay in the house. Jiang Yanli glances at her brother saying nothing, but Wei Ying tells them point blank that the Jiang compound is being watched.

This sends a shudder of fear through the family and Lan Zhan replies on his self-control not to let his expression slip.

"Inside the wards no one can be found. We are Jiang." He says this firmly and Jin Zixuan frowns.

"There are Nie disciples out there, a few Jin and a couple of smaller sects cultivators. SCD operatives are also lurking and according to the Bureau Chief, these are placed to look out for the Jiang." Wei Ying tells them calmly and Lan Zhan quickly nods when he glances his way. "The Nie leadership is trustworthy, but their disciples are trying to kill one of ours. The Jin cannot be trusted on our land after the last time and who knows what stake or interest the small sects have."

"They must be placed for protection." Jin Zixuan says peaceably, "My father is worried."

He is the only one who believes this, Lan Zhan can tell.

"No one has contacted us." Fourth Uncle says mildly. "Etiquette demands that they greet Cheng-zhi and no one has. Or extended any greetings to A-Xian, A-Li or our Lady."

Amusingly, it had been Jiang Cheng who had pointed out that if they were family, relatives by blood, they needed to talk appropriately, especially in front of Jin Zixuan who would by sheer family information sharing, report on how they interact. The slightly older or younger Wen were labeled as cousins or more distant Jiang relatives who had moved back after the attack from Yunmeng city or further along in the province.

The general unspoken rule was that Lady Yu didn't like her husband's family, thought they were beneath her and as a result, they had moved away. Everyone in the sect world and every gossip-monger in the country thought that. They were the poor relations or had argued with Lady Yu, who had a reputation for being disagreeable at best.

It was hard for the Wen who were intensely formal people, having been subjugated for years, to start calling Wei Ying, "A-Xian", but eventually it stuck. He was Wei-qiánbèi, Xian-di, A-Xian or Wei-Ge. Jiang Yanli had just managed to get everyone to call A-Li. Jiang Cheng was harder because he was their sect leader. The older family called him Cheng-zhi, pretending he was their nephew or zōngzhǔ in public. In informal settings the slightly older ones and most of the younger, called him zōngzhǔ regardless.

"My orders are clear and the ones I give to you are as well. No one makes it onto Jiang land while I am gone." His eyes are hard and all of the former Wen watch him intently. Especially Fourth Uncle. "There will be one hour between Jiang Cheng coming home and my trip to the airport. Our family stays here tonight. The only gap in the wards will be Jiang Cheng returning. Our secondary property on the road will be manned and if there are any problems for Ah-Cheng, they will be deployed. No one leaves the compound."

Lan Zhan didn't know there was a secondary property or that Wei Ying had organized it as a Jiang crisis outpost. But he amends, Jiang Cheng was taken off that road a year ago. It haunts Wei Ying that he was so close and yet too far away for any Jiang to help him.

"Do you anticipate trouble A-Xian?" Fourth Uncle asks into the space, his expression worried.

Wei Ying's mouth tightened and he glanced at Lan Zhan who tried to look reassuring.

"I don't like the fact that we are being watched and as you said, no one has called or approached. The road back here is long and...I..we almost lost Ah-Cheng on that road last year. He was trapped, injured and a long way from help. I cannot let that happen again. Our first priority is the safety of our family until we are left alone and no longer threatened. We all know what the Wen have said. We all know the gossip and the slander being leveled at us."

"Those bastards shot Cheng-zhi." Granny Jiang says surprising everyone with the anger in her voice. "Shot him on the steps of Furong. They have no mercy and only hate in their hearts." She looked at Wei Ying firmly, "No one will leave."

"I will gladly give my life for this family." Jin Zixuan says firmly, "You have my word that no one shall enter. Not even Jin."

That was a statement. Wei Ying looked at him approvingly and Jiang Yanli patted his hand.

---------

Wei Ying's arms welcome as soon as they are alone, down a corridor in the main building. He pulls Lan Zhan into the eastern rooms where they are staying and kisses him soundly.

"Ah Lan Zhan, don't be mad."

Lan Zhan presses a another kiss to his chin, his jaw, the back to his mouth. "Wei Ying will be in danger."

"I'll be fine." Wei Ying claims and leans back, stroking Lan Zhan's chest. "I feel better though that you're here. There are too many Jin out there."

"SCD warned us about the Nie and the sect cultivators, but not the Jin." Lan Zhan comments, watching him as he leaves Lan Zhan's arms and looks around the room.

"You know me Lan Zhan, I keep an ear out and those Jin are not subtle. I thought they were here in case we murdered Peacock." He says lightly as he takes his suitcase and starts collecting his toiletries and clothes. "I'll need to head over the river to home to get some things. Those talismans are over there and my more casual clothes. We don't want to stand out."

Jin Guangshan was trying to make a case that his son wasn't safe in Lotus Pier so that was more accurate than Wei Ying knew.

"They should have greeted Lotus Pier." Lan Zhan says watching him,

"Yeah." Wei Ying agrees stuffing his shirt in the bag until Lan Zhan can't take it anymore and takes over, smoothing out the creases. Wei Ying laughs then sobers, "The fact that they didn't even tell Peacock? That's got me worried. Did you see his face tiánxīn? He didn't know."

Tiánxīn? No one has ever called him that, Lan Zhan thinks ears flushing. He likes it.

"No." Lan Zhan agrees. "There will be no trouble."

"Ah my Lan Zhan," Wei Ying says kissing him again, "You'll keep our family safe."

___

Fear unfolds in Lan Zhan's chest and Wei Ying is in a strange mood as he packs for the trip, dressing casually but entirely in black. While Jiang Yanli was as surprised as he was at the table, but she automatically tells Wei Ying that he must go.

Any hope Lan Zhan has for him to stay put go up in smoke as Jiang Yanli asks that Wei Ying bring everyone home safely.

They tell Sizhui that his baba is off on a Night Hunt and the entire family gather on the steps to watch Wei Ying go and all of them at least touch his arm as he leaves. The four wheel drive is waiting with the chosen four Jiang disciples, all of them dressed down, Two are women dressed casually, one of the deceptively young-looking Li Zan with her bubblegum pink hair. Lan Zhan knows she is weapons expert and Wei Ying's number three. The other Lan Zhan recognized as Tang Xueru, an excellent cultivator and skilled swordsman.

Chou Fan one of Wei Ying's older disciples and a good friend these days of Fourth Uncle is driving. The other disciple is Wen Ning, who if you discount himself and Jiang Yanli, is probably the most loyal to Wei Ying and despite his sweet nature, happens to be a brilliant cultivator.

"Da-shixiong!" They chorused, "We are ready Fùsīlìng!"

Wei Ying kisses Sizhui on the head, who looks up at his father adoringly even as he's passed to Granny Jiang. "Bye, Bue Baba!"

Jiang Yanli hugs him tightly and all of the Jiang clasp his hand or shoulder as he passes. He smiles at Lan Zhan, a flirty grin."Wei Ying. Be Safe." They had spent the five minutes before Jiang Yanli called for him, frantically kissing the hallway, so technically he has had his kiss goodbye.

All too soon, he's flinging the car door open and sliding inside holding Suibian, the sweet warm expression on his face, turning to a stony look that has Lan Zhan's heart clenching, though he cannot say why.

---

The wait for Jiang Cheng is an hour spent in limb, with Jin Zixuan and Lan Zhan waiting on the steps of Lotus Pier, facing the circular driveway, where the convoy of cars will arrive. The Jiang guardsmen are lined up at the gates, so this is a formality.

Behind them four of the Jiang family wait with them. Jiang Fang, almost blending into the night in her black dress, Jiang Wu who runs the Lotus Pier estate, and the 'brothers', Jiang Yan and Jiang Hong.

Everyone else is inside, wandering onto the steps for a few minutes before retreating back into the house. All of the family are gathered around Jiang Yanli, as they cannot bear to leave her side. They of course are waiting for Wen Qing too, eager to see their family matriarch for all she claims she is not one.

The lights on the lake are golden, the entire sect awaiting Jiang Cheng's arrival with moon rising high over the waters.

The guards give the signal and the wards slide open emitting three sleek black cars. The wards close as soon as the last car enters and the disciples waiting for the second signal that all was well, lower their guard. Precisely what that security was, Lan Zhan didn't know. At the private meeting with Jin Guangshan, they had all heard Wei Ying say, snipers, divers and sweep teams.

Jiang Cheng flings open the car door in the exact same fashion as his older brother, eyes widening in surprise as he sees both Jin Zixuan and Lan Zhan waiting for him. They give the customary bow and he nods, before helping Wen Qing out the car.

'Ah-Cheng!" Jiang Yanli calls out as she hurries down the steps. Jiang Cheng smiles happily seeing his sister and hugs her tightly.

"Ah-Jie! Are you alright? Did A-Xian leave okay?'

Yanli smiles softly, "Yes he did. Ah-Qing!" Wen Qing ignores her fiancee and the others waiting to hug Jiang Yanli too. "Come inside. I've made you some soup."

Lan Zhn has to smile as Jiang Cheng is welcomed enthusiastically by his adopted family members, far more warmly than he expected judging by his surprised expression that morphs into calm attentiveness as Yanli takes his arms.

Wei Ying texts him. At the airfield. Taking off.

Lan Zhan texts him back quickly. Look after Wei Ying.

Always.

__

Lan Zhan is completing his morning stretches in his bedroom in the apartment the following morning at five am.

Sizhui was asleep having gone to bed late, carried across the river by Lan Zhan in place of Wei Ying. He had put his godson to bed, with a Lan lullaby and had already started his breakfast. Lan Zhan was loathe to wake him and with Jiang Cheng at home, he wasn't needed at Lotus Pier in a protective capacity.

Without Wei Ying here he had barely slept worrying and missing him more than he would have thought was feasible for such a short time together. The train was an overnight trip and the entire journey, including picking up Nie Huaisang and Meng Yao, would take about twelve to thirteen hours and its only been eight so far. Wei Ying was only going to be arriving at eight am to the station in Wuchang, where he would pick up the cars to take them back here to Lotus Pier.

He has plenty of time to wait until he can be there at the station, so he strains harder maintaining the perfect position as Wei Ying in his headphones chats on about painting lotus flowers with luminescent paint. He only has one ear in, in case Sizhui should need something, the bedroom door open wide and the balcony curtains swish in the breeze like the tails of an angry beast.

His phone chimes from the bed where it lies. He rises from his stretch on the floor mat and reaches for it, smiling lightly at the picture of Wei Ying on his home screen, taken just as he was blinking owlishly as he slowly wakes up, grey eyes unfocused.

The message he reads, has the smile falling away.

Jin Guangshan is dead.

Someone put a sword through him.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

63.9K 4.3K 12
Lan WangJi met Wei WuXian 13 years later since they lost each other in high school. Reconnecting on a music festival, they were slowly unraveling the...
22.2K 1.7K 22
After traveling the cultivation world with Song Lan and Xiao Xingchen, Wei Ying decide to travel alone. He want to go to other place that he haven't...
163K 7.3K 27
To find Wèi Yīng, Lán Wàngjī has to find himself and he unknowingly has thirteen years to wait.
39.7K 2K 53
its story about secret love story about cloud recesses second heir Lan wangi and lotus pier elder son Wei wuxian