𝐄𝐃𝐆𝐄 πŽπ… 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓 ―...

By -JASONSGRACE

our best days are yet unknown. [ ricky bowen x original character ] [ book four in the goddess series ] [ par... More

disclaimer
edge of great
epigraph
001
002
003
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
015
author's note

004

1.1K 68 43
By -JASONSGRACE

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝗘𝗗𝗚𝗘 𝗢𝗙 𝗚𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧

chapter four:
you and me forevermore !

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

"CAN YOU PLEASE tell me where we're going?"

See, Ricky and Athena never had many elaborate dates. Their dates were more lowkey ⁠ — a movie night at one of their houses, a trip to get ice cream, or a picnic in the case of Valentine's Day. And usually, none of those dates ended up as a surprise.

Unlike now.

Athena had gotten dressed in a cropped red long-sleeved, a black skirt layered over see-through black tights, and her red high-top Converse with the two front pieces of her hair pinned back. Ricky had picked her up, looking nothing but handsome in his jeans and open button-up, but insisted that she had to tie a blindfold around her eyes because she couldn't see where they were going.

Her hand was tightly interlocked with Ricky's while her other hand rested on his arm as he led her somewhere. It made her nervous just walking in the dark, but Ricky was right next to her, and by how he wasn't letting go of her — which she knew he wouldn't — she felt a little better.

"No, because we're almost there," Ricky reassured her. He lifted up their interlocked hands and pressed a kiss to the back of hers, making her smile slightly. "Watch out, we're going on grass now."

Athena stepped off of the hard surface they had been walking on and into the grass. It was only a couple moments longer when Ricky suddenly stopped, making her stop as well.

Ricky let go of her hand and placed a hand on the small of her back, gently steering her inside something. "We're here."

Athena let out a small laugh. "Can I know where here is, now?"

He chuckled at her. "You're so impatient." Ricky reached up and placed his hands on the knot of her blindfold. "Ready?"

"Ready."

Ricky untied the bandana from around her head. Athena blinked a couple times to get used to seeing nothing but darkness again. She saw a building decorated with street lights, but from by her feet came the sound of squeals and barks. Athena looked down and immediately gasped. Walking around her were multiple golden retriever puppies.

She turned to Ricky, her mouth hung open in shock. "You brought me to puppies?"

"I brought you to puppies," Ricky confirmed.

Athena leaned down from the ground, and a puppy pressed its paws onto her knees so it could lick her face. "Oh my God, hi." She gathered the puppy in her arms and stood back up, looking right at her boyfriend, who was watching her with nothing short of adoration. "I can't believe this. Do you think my parents would kill me if I brought one home?"

"They might kill me."

"No way, my parents love you." Athena planted a kiss to the puppy's head. "You know, you kind of remind me of a golden retriever."

Ricky reached his hand forwards and scratched the puppy a couple of times. "I'm going to take that as a compliment."

Athena slightly adjusted the puppy in her arms, her eyes trailing across Ricky's face. "Not that I don't absolutely love this, but where did you get the idea for a puppy date?"

He shrugged. "You told me you and Vi used to watch Mark and Spark a lot when you were younger, and I know that you've been feeling weird about this whole High School Musical 4 situation, so it gave me an idea." Ricky kissed the puppy's head before kissing Athena's forehead. "Besides, dogs are your absolute favorite animal, so I thought, why not?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Is that all?"

Ricky paused for a moment. "And I may or may not have sent myself into a spiral hearing you used to have a crush on Mack."

"And there it is." Athena stared at him, a lovestruck smile on her face. "Emphasis on used to. You're my only crush, promise." She then thought about it for a moment. "Besides Joe Keery. You might have some competition there."

He laughed a little, and the sound made Athena's smile widen. "Copy that, which is what they say in Hollywood, by the way. And as they say in musicals, sit down and let me sing you a song."

"I thought they burst into songs in musicals," Athena replied.

"They do, but I'm breaking the rules." Ricky grabbed his guitar, which Athena just realized he brought, and slung it over himself. Athena sat down on the blanket on the grass, looking over at him as he sat down on the hay. "I know this is more of a piano song, but a guitar's more mobile, so you're going to have to deal with it."

She giggled a little. "Okay."

Ricky adjusted the capo on his guitar for a moment. "Earlier today, I read a lyric that you gave me from a certain song, and I think it made you feel at least a little better. You love this song, and I love you, so . . . this is New Year's Day, Ricky's version."

And . . . yeah, Athena swore she melted right then and there.

He played a couple familiar chords before starting to sing. "There's glitter on the floor after the party, girls carrying their shoes down in the lobby, candle wax and Polaroids on the hardwood floor, you and me from the night before. But don't read the last page, but I stay when you're lost, and I'm scared, and you're turning away. I want your midnights, but I'll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year's Day."

Truth be told, that lyric from earlier on the slip of paper had boosted her mood a lot. Athena always joked that nobody got the song New Year's Day like her. On an album such as reputation that was so heavy on production and calling people out, having a song like New Year's Day at the end with nothing but piano and guitar and lyrics that reflected a kind if love that lasts even after a New Year's kiss was extremely beautiful and symbolic. In so many ways, Athena related the song to her and Ricky's relationship. Because even after drama and everything they've been through, they still held onto each other like glue. It was her favorite song on the album for a reason.

"You squeeze my hand three times in the back of the taxi," Athena sang before she could stop herself. Ricky blinked at her for a moment before grinning softly, making her heart race against her chest. "I can tell that it's gonna be a long road. I'll be there if you're the toast of the town, babe, or if you strike out and you're crawling home. Don't read the last page, but I stay when it's hard, or it's wrong, or we're making mistakes, I want your midnights, but I'll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year's Day."

"Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you," Ricky continued. "Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you. Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you, and I will hold on to you."

"Please don't ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere," the two sang together, their voices harmonizing in the night. "Please don't ever become a stranger, whose laugh I could recognize anywhere."

Athena hugged the puppy she was holding a little closer to her, her eyes wide and bright as she stared at the boy who captured her heart. "There's glitter on the floor after the party."

"Girls carrying their shoes down in the lobby," Ricky voiced.

"Candle wax and Polaroids on the hardwood floor."

Ricky let go of his guitar for a moment to reach down and touch the owl, the letter R, and the planet Saturn charms on the chain around her neck. "You and me, forevermore." He then started to play his guitar again. "Don't read the last page, but I stay when it's hard, or it's wrong, or we're making mistakes. I want your midnights, but I'll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year's Day. Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you. Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you. Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you, and I will hold on to you."

"Please don't ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere, please don't ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere," Athena stated at the same time Ricky repeated, "Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you, hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you, hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you."

"I will hold on to you," Ricky finished.

He played the last couple of chords on the guitar to finish out the song before stopping. Athena just stared at him for a moment — God, she was so in love with him. Some might call it puppy love, but to her, it was so real. She immediately set down the puppy and pressed up onto her knees, grabbing his face in her hands and placing her lips onto his. Ricky instantly kissed her back before pulling away, a dazed look in his eyes.

"So you liked it?" Ricky asked, leaning forwards and kissing her again for a moment.

Athena smiled at him, her thumbs running back and forth on the skin of his cheeks. "I loved it." She then planted a kiss on his nose, giggling at the way he scrunched it up afterwards. "And I love you."

"To the moon and to Saturn, Attie." He put a hand on her hip, his thumb tracing the fabric of her skirt. "And I can't get our song out of our head. By the way, I love the sound of our song."

She smirked a little, moving her face closer to him. "Our song is a slamming screen door . . ."

Ricky strummed his guitar for a moment. "Sneaking out late, tapping on your window."

Athena laughed again before kissing him once more. However, they were immediately interrupted by the sound of Ricky's phone vibrating from his pocket. He pulled away from her and got it out of his pocket before opening it up.

"Emergency cast meeting to announce the HSM3 cast list," Ricky read out loud. "Everyone's at Gina's."

Athena's eyes widened, and her heart felt like it was going to jump out of her chest from anxiety. "Cast list?"

Ricky stood up and offered his hand out to her. "Troyella time, baby."

--- ☆ • ♫ • ♪ • ♫ • ☆ ---

AFTER A SHORT drive to Gina's house, Ricky and Athena made their way upstairs to the sound of chatter, where everyone already was. Athena nervously pulled down the sleeves of Ricky's fuzzy jean jacket — yes, she still hadn't given it back — over her hands. Yeah, sure, it wouldn't be the end of the world if she didn't get Gabriella, but playing another lead with Ricky would be incredible. They had even been talking about it ever since finishing High School Musical when they thought they were doing High School Musical 2 instead of Beauty and the Beast.

"Am I too late?" Ricky exclaimed, stopping at the top of the stairs.

Carlos stood at the front of everyone in Gina's bedroom, holding an envelope. "For Ricky Bowen, you're right on time. As for you, Athena, I'm a little disappointed."

Athena pointed at Ricky. "Blame him." She led him over to a seat, crashing down next to Violetta. "Hey, Vi."

Violetta raised an eyebrow at them. "Date night?"

"Date night cut short. For good reason, though."

Carlos cleared his throat, gaining their attention. "Sharpay will be played by Kourtney Greene."

The room immediately erupted into cheers. Athena grinned — there was definitely no surprise about that. Although Seb played Sharpay beautifully last time, there was no doubt Kourtney had Sharpay energy.

"Ryan will be played by moi."

Kourtney pointed at Carlos over all the cheering. "Dream team."

"Kelsi will be played by Ashlyn Moon Caswell," Carlos announced.

Athena shared a look with Violetta. Last time, she had played Kelsi in High School Musical. If she wasn't cast as her this time, maybe there was still a chance. Not to mention that after all the drama, Gina had announced she would be stepping back from going for leads.

"Taylor will be played by the famous, controversial Hollywood exile known only as Emmy."

Athena gasped. Oh, she loved that

"Here we go," Carlos said. "Troy will be played by, not shockingly, featured extra number two, aka Richard Bowen."

"Let's go, seniors!" Ricky shouted. "Yes!"

Violetta rolled her eyes. "No surprise there."

Athena kissed his cheek quickly. "Proud of you."

"And now, the moment we've all been waiting for, Gabriella," Carlos stated, and his eyes immediately landed on Athena.

Athena's eyes widened, her heart pounding. "Carlos, are you saying . . ."

"Let me have my moment." He paused dramatically. "It's you."

She immediately felt a huge weight lift off of her shoulders, and she squealed slightly to herself. Everything she ever wanted was right there — Gabriella during her senior year with Ricky as Troy.

"Gabriella era!" Violetta yelled, throwing her arms around Athena.

Athena laughed loudly and hugged her back. "This is insane. I got Gabriella."

"Just like I knew you would." Violetta let her go and placed her hands on her shoulders. "You were meant for this role, 'Thena."

"Um, excuse me, Ash, there's more," Carlos interjected as Ashlyn was speaking a voice message to Maddox, who she had been texting quite a bit lately. "Martha, Violetta."

Athena clapped instantly. "Oh, absolutely."

Violetta stood up and curtsied to all of them. "Here for all your pop, lock, jam, and break urges for the second time."

"I am personally lobbying for Miss Jenn to play Miss Darbus," Carlos admitted. "And that's it."

"Wait, what about Chad?" Gina questioned.

Emmy stood up. "Right. My — my boyfriend?"

"Chad is not cast yet," Carlos revealed, making Athena frown.

"I'm sorry, how do we not have enough people to fill out an HSM3 cast?" Gina inquired.

"It appears the movie sucked up all other potential drama kids. They're getting a hundred bucks a week, plus all the kettle corn they can eat. We can't compete with that."

"You guys, Dani just posted something really cryptic on Instagram," Kourtney told them. She sat down at the table, and all of them crowded around her. "It reads, Hollywood is brutal. Stay grounded out there, babes." Kourtney gasped. "Mack commented, Shit's messed up. Ooh, what kind of tea they got going on there?"

Ricky elbowed Athena's side. "Hey, Gabriella."

Athena turned fully to him. "I can't believe it." She jumped up, throwing her arms around his neck. Ricky caught her in his arms, spinning her around for a moment before placing her back down. "Troyella! Literally nothing is getting in our way."

"Well, except that you still have my jean jacket. One of these days, I'm stealing it back."

"You have absolutely no chance."

Violetta then looked down at her phone, which started to ring. "Uh, guys . . . what area code is three-one-oh?"

"Three-one-oh, that's Hollywood, baby," Carlos replied.

Athena looked at her best friend, her eyes wide. "Hollywood?"

Violetta shrugged, looking totally lost. "Maybe I'm fired from what happened today?"

"Look, if you're fired from the movie, you're still Martha," Ricky responded.

"Yes, Ricky. Thank you for the reassurance." She then pressed on her screen to answer. "Hello?"

"Violetta Chase," Quinn's voice came from the speaker. "Hi. It's Quinn, the director. Sundance runner-up for Where Has All The Money Gone?"

"Yeah, I remember," Violetta answered. "Um, if this is about earlier, I'm sorry for messing up. It won't happen again."

She then looked to Athena and mouthed I'm lying. Athena let out a quiet laugh and shook her head.

"Listen, that is the exact thing that I need," Quinn voiced. "I spoke to your drama teacher today and she said that you have the range, talent, and ambition to really make a mark. And not just in the background."

Violetta straightened up slightly. "What does that mean?"

"Well, what I'm saying is . . . how would you like to replace Dani in High School Musical 4?"

Athena's eyes widened, and her mouth fell open in complete shock as she looked to Violetta. No way.

═ • ° • ✧ • ° • ═

me self-projecting my love for nyd onto athena? no . . . never . . .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.6K 2.7K 30
No kissing? Then how are people supposed to believe it? HSMTMTS Season One / Original Character Β©JJ 1/20/2020 - 8/25/2...
48.3K 1.7K 24
baby, I just want my love back! [ ej caswell x original character ] [ book one in the fallin' series ] [ part of the good times and the bad ones seri...
465K 11.6K 45
π’šπ’π’– π’“π’†π’‚π’π’π’š 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒉 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓'𝒔 π’‡π’Šπ’“π’”π’• π’†π’—π’†π’“π’šπ’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ... 𝐭𝐑𝐞𝐲 𝐦𝐞𝐭 𝐒𝐧 𝐦𝐒𝐝𝐝π₯𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐨𝐨π₯, 𝐭𝐑𝐞𝐲 οΏ½...
7.4K 308 23
-π’ππŽπ“π‹πˆπ†π‡π“ π‘Ž π‘Ÿπ‘–π‘π‘˜π‘¦ π‘π‘œπ‘€π‘’π‘› π‘ π‘‘π‘œπ‘Ÿπ‘¦ π‘“π‘œπ‘’π‘Ÿπ‘‘β„Ž π‘π‘œπ‘œπ‘˜ π‘œπ‘› π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ 𝑗𝑒𝑙𝑖𝑒𝑑𝑑𝑒 π‘‘π‘’π‘β„Žπ‘Žπ‘šπ‘ π‘ π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘–π‘’π‘  𝐒𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐟𝐒...