A Different Slice

De Voyageavecmoi

What's better than sex? To Naomi, it's going out with friends for delicious food, winning softball games, and... Mai multe

Author's Note
1.1 - Partners in Shattered Dreams (Naomi)
1.2 - Partners in Shattered Dreams (Naomi)
2- Navel Oranges (Kieran)
3- Waffles (Naomi)
4 - Rusty (Kieran)
5 - Fast (Naomi)
6 - Devil's Punchbowl (Kieran)
7 - Play Ball (Naomi)
8.1 - Cinnamon Buns (Kieran)
8.2 - Cinnamon Buns (Kieran)
9.1 - By the Candlelight (Naomi)
9.2 By the Candlelight (Naomi)
10 - Grapes and Almonds (Kieran)
11.1 - The Hockey Party (Naomi)
11.2 - The Hockey Party (Naomi)
11.3 - The Hockey Party (Naomi)
12 - Void (Kieran)
13 - Confession (Naomi)
14.1 - Slice of Comfort (Kieran)
14.2 - A Slice of Comfort (Kieran)
15.1 - End-game (Naomi)
15.2 - End-Game (Naomi)
16 - Training Day (Kieran)
17 - Distractions (Naomi)
18 - Caesars (Kieran)
19 - Curveball (Naomi)
20 - Batting Cages (Kieran)
21 - No Time (Naomi)
22 - Gelato (Kieran)
23 - Decisions (Naomi)
24 - Silence (Kieran)
25 - Crepes (Naomi)
26 - Game Night (Kieran)
27 - Fight (Naomi)
28 - First Date (Kieran)
29 - Favourites (Naomi)
30 - Second date? (Kieran)
32.1 - Meet the Family (Kieran)
32.2 - Meet the Family (Kieran)
33.1 - The Potluck (Naomi)
33.2 - The Potluck (Naomi)
34.1 - Normal (Kieran)
34.2 - Normal (Kieran)
35.1 Triple - (Naomi)
35.2 - Triple (Naomi)
36 - Memories (Kieran)
37 - Nomes (Naomi)
38 - Islendingadunk (Kieran)
39 - Keychain (Naomi)
40 - Tension (Kieran)
41 - Reflections (Naomi)
42 - Shifting Feelings (Kieran)
43 - Lake Thrills (Naomi)
44.1 Surprise (Kieran)
44.2 Surprise (Kieran)
45 - Love (Naomi)
46 - Trapped (Kieran)
47 - Uncertainty (Naomi)
48 - Missing You (Kieran)
49 - Answers (Naomi)
50 - This isn't Goodbye (Kieran)

31 - Interruptions (Naomi)

66 9 84
De Voyageavecmoi

The gentle sun and light breeze smiled on Naomi and Kieran as if they approved of the relationship. A soothing 25 degrees of dry summer warmth made being on the water a treat. After mastering balancing in the canoe and matching each other's paddling rhythm, their oar strokes' synchronicity propelled the boat forward as smoothly as a motor. She smiled as that smooth gliding sensation was addictive.

"Painted turtles at three o'clock on the log," he breathed.

Naomi glanced to the right, near the edge of the shallow lake. The couple sunned themselves together despite the excited cries of the kids in the canoes.

"I'm shocked they haven't scurried off yet."

"They must be brave or oblivious to our presence."

She and Kieran stopped paddling and floated closer. The reptiles sat side-by-side, as they lazed in the sun. It warmed their skin just past the point of comfort. At the right angle, they appeared to hold hands. Memories of her and Kieran's embraces tugged at her mind. Since when did animals trigger her desire for Kieran's touch?

The boat rocked as she readjusted her seated position, careful not to move too much and capsize. She'd done that enough as a kid.

"How are you doing?" She turned toward Kieran at the stern.

"Good." He wore a content smile as the paddle rested on his jeans, the residual water dampening the thighs slightly.

"Not too uncomfortable?" Even her butt was going numb.

"I'm alright. What about you?"

She stretched out her calf as much as the boat allowed, and pins and needles pricked at it. "My left leg is falling asleep."

"You are far more active and used to moving than me. We can return the canoe and hit the trails."

"Are you sure?"

"We've done five laps of the lake. I think we've seen everything there is to see." As if reinforcing his point, he broke the surface of the water with his paddle stroke.

They paddled to the dock where a family waited, observing the waterfowl near the shore. Kieran steered the canoe around the territorial Canada geese and their juveniles, who were smaller than the parents but with similar colouring.

Once he and Naomi had shed their lifejackets and returned their paddles, they tackled a trail on foot. The wooden boardwalk teetered as they walked across the reedy marsh where ducks flew from the algae-covered water. He seemed to struggle to keep his balance more than her, judging from the wood boards rocking beneath her feet, so she slowed her pace.

"These are way less stable than I remember," he muttered.

He had a point. Plenty of spots had enough pitch to roll a marble straight into the water with considerable speed.

"I'll jump in and save you if you fall."

"Oh yeah?" His voice took on an excited tone.

"You're looking at a former wading pool attendant. Expired first aid certificate and all."

He laughed. "I hate to rain on your heroics parade, but the pond is probably shallow enough to stand in. Although I feel safer knowing you can bust out outdated CPR. When did you work at wading pools?"

"For two summers in high school and another before I started working a few administrative jobs. It paid well and had full-time hours, but it was seasonal." It was the easiest money she'd ever made, but not interesting.

The boardwalk grew more stable as they reached the flatter section.

"And dog training is your passion?"

"I considered a job as a vet tech, but I love seeing the dogs when they're happy and healthy, you know?" She could not wait to teach some classes for the adorable creatures with whom she'd get to work.

"I hear you. Dealing with clients with electrical problems is worse than those who want an upgrade or are building new unless they're running behind schedule. That's a nightmare. Did you ever want to run your own training place?"

She liked how he didn't assume she'd move on to another career like her family and friends sometimes suggested she should. It wasn't lucrative, but Greg's well-paying job stressed him out and robbed him of too many days. That wasn't a sacrifice she wanted for herself. Owning a business would be a dream, one she'd likely pour hours into in the beginning, but it was far off.

"I'd have to have some fantastic testimonials. I'm fortunate I haven't had to sign a non-compete, and they don't mind if I freelance because we're so busy, but I can't imagine they'd love it if I poached their clients. Plus, with the mortgage payments, I can't afford to branch out."

Shivanna was already a stable force for their mortgage since she had her teacher's salary and was the only reason they'd gotten approved for it. Some months, Naomi was short, but she caught up when the season got busy in the spring and summer, then added dog walking gigs as she needed. Shivanna didn't mind, but Naomi didn't want to burden her and kept track of every dollar she owed.

They reached land again, and Kieran exhaled in relief. "But if money wasn't an obstacle, you'd open your own business?"

She nodded, taking his hand in hers to put smiles on both of their lips. Even though she'd always had larger hands, his dwarfed hers.

"What about you? Electrician for life?"

"It pays the bills, and I don't hate it most days."

"What would you do if money wasn't a factor?"

Kieran shrugged, his eyes on a frog jumping back into the grass.

"Nothing? Say you won 20 million dollars and retired. What would you do?" He went to raise his shoulders, but Naomi shook her head. "There has to be something. Would you travel? Would you buy a canoe?"

He chuckled. "That would be one mighty fine canoe."

"There's nothing else? No super mansion, incredible vacation, or Sea-doo or motorboat or cabin on a private lake?"

Greg had nothing but dreams, and she and Shivanna had plenty too. Why didn't Kieran?

"I guess I'd buy something Jake always wanted for him and visit my dad. Take him somewhere nice so I could..." he trailed off and looked at his shoes.

"So you could what?"

"Get to know him," he muttered.

A deep loneliness echoed in his words. Naomi couldn't imagine growing up without the man who'd helped her perfect her softball skills or who'd take her on spontaneous outdoor adventures. He brought her out of every funk from frustrating losing streaks, to struggling with homework, to fearing no guy would ever show romantic interest in her. He'd joked that the last one was a gift, but reassured her that just because it felt like guys gravitated to a certain look and personality then, someday they'd see her beauty, and that was why he'd taught her how to wield a baseball bat properly.

She squeezed Kieran's hand and brought it closer to her. "You don't have to win the lottery for that."

"I know, but it's complicated." He didn't say more than that, and she didn't push him either. "What would you do?"

"Start my business. Travel to Australia."

"To find your future surfer husband," Kieran teased.

"Nah, I'm over that. I want to hold a koala and a wombat."

"That is tempting. I'll gladly stand in as a substitute until you go."

She laughed. "Careful, that almost sounded like a dream, which I'm happy to share with you."

He chuckled and captured her other hand in his. With a gentle pull, they stood almost toe to toe. "What I dream of lately are days like these with you."

Despite the corniness of his words, the way his eyes met hers before fleeing and his cheeks reddening showed he wasn't being a cheese ball. The same sincerity he'd used to talk about his father lingered in his voice.

This was only their second official date, but all the moments he'd stood in her corner, building her back up, making her laugh and not sweat her asexuality were everything. More than she'd ever imagined a guy she'd met after her heart shattered at a bar would offer. He'd far surpassed Greg, who she'd idolized and loved for years. It was too soon to label these feelings since there was still a lot to learn about each other, but she'd never been this connected with anyone this early. She hoped that never faded.

"I do too," she whispered.

As their eyes met, her heartbeat drummed in her ear, drowning out the birdsong and hikers chatting in the distance. The hairs on her arms and legs stood at attention. This was a first kiss moment. She subtly ran her tongue over her lips and pressed them together. As his body warmth radiated to her, Kieran leaned down as if he read her mind.

She inhaled deeply, sneaking one more glance at his cute bearded face before an annoying buzz interrupted. Her purse vibrated against her side.

"Sorry," she muttered and dug into her bag to silence it. Her sister's number appeared on the screen.

He stepped back and released her other hand. "You can take it. I don't mind."

Naomi wanted to protest, but even if she did, their moment had vanished. "Are you sure?" When he nodded, she was compelled to explain. "It's my sister. We usually set up our times to chat because of the kids. I'll check everything's okay."

"Take your time."

Naomi answered the call. "Hey, sis."

"Nomi! How are you?" Jodie's kids' voices echoed in the background.

"Good, is everything alright?"

"Of course."

Then why didn't she text or message? "Cool. Can I call you back later?"

"Oh, what are you up to?"

"I'm just out."

"Out with Kieran?" She almost sang the name, making Naomi's cheeks burn since the volume was high, and he was right there grinning.

"Yes, I am."

"Fun, that's perfect. We're in the city for a couple of days. Peter has to fill in for his boss at a meeting tomorrow. Mom and Dad wanted to do a barbecue tonight. You should both come."

"I like him and want to keep dating him, not have Dad scare him off."

Kieran chuckled and squeezed her hand as Jodie laughed. "Dad's all bark and no bite. C'mon, I want to meet him. It sounds like you adore him, and it may be a while before we'll return to the city again."

Kieran's renewed grin told her that Jodie's words were audible enough to overhear.

"Another time, I promise."

"Tell him there's steak."

He raised an eyebrow and shot her a look. "Steak sounds delicious."

"At the cost of dealing with my family?"

"Sorry?" Jodie asked.

"I was talking to Kieran. Give me a minute to talk it over." She turned off the phone's mic.

"Are you certain? It's only our second date. I don't want to put that kind of pressure on you."

He shrugged. "A family barbecue sounds fun, and believe it or not, I'm pretty decent with other people's parents. I deal with frustrated people for a living, so your nice family should be a breeze."

"But you're not dating their daughter."

He laughed. "It's extra motivation to succeed unless you're not ready?"

Did he not consider this too soon? Or did the time they hung out before confessing their feelings also count too? If there was a rule for this, she was breaking it.

"I don't want to ruin what we have."

"It'll take a lot more than a scary dad to chase me off, Naomi."

"Positive?"

"Yes. I know it's only our second date, but we've spent more time together than that. It's enough to know this is what I need and want in my life, no matter what obstacles arise."

Their eyes met again, and she reached up to stroke his beard with her free hand, her fingers lingering on his skin. He sighed and closed his eyes.

"You two are adorable," Jodie said from the phone. The device had ignored Naomi's command.

"Yes, we'll come, text me the details. I'm hanging up."

"Have fun, see you soon," Jodie said before Naomi ended the call and put the phone on silent.

"What's the hurry?" Kieran asked.

Naomi took a breath and stepped into his space before she lost her confidence. "I'm doing this before anyone else ruins the moment."

She cradled his jaw and neck and drew his face closer. Her strong heartbeat travelled to her thumbs as if to betray her nervousness to him. The heat from his mouth beckoned her closer like he was her shelter during a blizzard. Her lips reached his tentatively as if they might not catch hers, but that worry evaporated as Kieran drew her closer to deepen the kiss. As his soft lips caressed hers, she brought her arms around the back of his neck. Like his hugs, his kisses filled her with warmth and giddiness as he gently explored her lips. When His beard tickled her upper lip, she laughed and pulled away for a second.

She met his gaze as he pressed his forehead against hers.

"How was that?" Despite his question, his eager eyes told her he wasn't worried.

If her cheek muscles working overtime in smile weren't answer enough, she added, "Amazing."

"New best first kiss," he whispered. The warmth from his breath made her wish she hadn't broken away.

"For me too."

"We could top it, if you're up for it."

Naomi nodded and let Kieran guide her into the kiss this time. It was so intense it took her breath away, but he ebbed away, pressing gentle feather kisses against her lips, each one softer than the last. Then he rubbed their noses together and jumped into another intense kiss. His fingers only ever moved from her face to her hair, massaging her scalp and leaving her completely at ease. It had all the excitement of her very first kiss.

Too soon, people walked by, and she and Kieran pulled apart. Naomi could not stop smiling at her date, but neither did he.

***

As they stood on the hill overlooking the bison enclosure, Naomi held Kieran's hand for the umpteenth time today. She leaned against him as a cooling breeze swept across the prairie. Despite the naturalness of the environment, houses and an IKEA sign sat in the background, not far off.

"How do you want to tell your folks we met?" Kieran asked.

Should they be honest? They might write him off if they learned they met in a bar, especially if they knew about Brinny.

"I'm not sure," Naomi said.

"We could bypass the first meeting and skip to the grocery store, where I was drawn to this beautiful woman my brother was harassing about his app. We connected instantly, and I got her number to help my friend with dog training but also because I couldn't imagine not talking to her again."

"Even if you didn't call right away." She wore a teasing grin.

"You were so intimidatingly amazing and gorgeous I didn't think you'd be interested in me."

She hated that his experiences led him to assume that as she'd enjoyed every conversation, even when he was clueless about asexuality. Few people would check on someone so defeated, nor would they share their stories of failure. Nor would they offer advice and help.

"Even if she wished you called after the party."

"Before you were single?"

Naomi nodded, receiving a kiss on the cheek and an arm around her shoulder.

"So we met at the grocery store and connected during dog training, where you helped me see my life would be much better without my ex," she confirmed.

"Sounds good." The light-coloured baby bison in the enclosure followed its mom to nudge gently against her side. "What should I know about your parents?"

"Mom's sweet and a wonderful cook. She loves her grandkids and family, plus she's pretty easy to talk to. My dad..." Naomi sighed.

He acted as prickly as the ends of those bison horns when he tried to protect her. But she didn't need protection from Kieran because he took care of her so thoughtfully.

"We're quite close, and sometimes because of that, he can be intense about people I let into my life. He'll have a lot of questions, the standard job, intentions, how you'll take care of me like it's not the 2020s, and he enjoys chatting sports."

"Does he like beer? We can bring some."

"That's a great idea. He's getting into craft beers."

Kieran grinned at her. "Told ya I was good with parents."

"You're good with more than just parents," she said before kissing him again. It seemed too perfect to be true that both dates with Kieran were going so well, considering with Greg they were so uncomfortable. But she wasn't about to look for problems where they didn't exist. 

Kieran meets Naomi's family next Wednesday. How do you think her parents will react? 

Thanks so much for your support :) Have a wonderful weekend!   

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

1.9K 213 26
When returning to Canada for a friend's wedding, a dive instructor must face her judgmental mother and her ex, whose heart she never wanted to break...
8.3K 176 38
With her nose in books and his brawn getting him nowhere on or off the ice, they find themselves drawn together, sharing their baggage and behaving b...
Lethal Lust De Kit

Ficțiune generală

242K 9.6K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
55.3K 2.8K 27
Could the first boy she fell for be the man she needs? Callie Morris has a plan to make dating simple. She doesn't see why finding Mr. Right needs to...