Chasing The Cure

By howtosellmysoul

Season 2 of In Another Era Bound by a forbidden love, Prince Kenric and Archie have to navigate a world of se... More

Season List for In Another Era
Chapter 1: King Of The Past
Chapter 2: Royal Punishment
Chapter 3: Admirers And Jealousy
Chapter 5: Moonlight Touch
Chapter 6: Safeguarding Secrets
Chapter 7: Teaser
Chapter 8: News Travels Fast
Chapter 9: Revelations
Chapter 10: One Step Closer
Chapter 11: Taming The Beast
Chapter 12: Flirt
Chapter 13: Pretty Boy
Chapter 14: Empty Victories
Chapter 15: Burn The World
Chapter 16: Dream Big
Chapter 17: Brothers And Sons
Chapter 18: To The Nines
Chapter 19: A Sister's Anger
Chapter 20: Beat Of His Heart
Chapter 21: Treasure
Chapter 22: Blind Faith
Chapter 23: Follow You To Hell
Chapter 24: Kind Hearts
Chapter 25: Journey To The Lake
Chapter 26: Looks Can Be Deceiving
Chapter 27: Blood Magic
Chapter 28: Sins Of The Father
Chapter 29: Set In Stone
Chapter 30: Lonely Crown
Chapter 31: Trust And Ties
Chapter 32: Art Of Teaching
Chapter 33: Princes Never Accept A No
Chapter 34: Accidental Victims
Chapter 35: Aeternum Somnum
Chapter 36: Traitor
Chapter 37: A Crimson Welcome
Chapter 38: Timely Reunion
Chapter 39: Right Direction
Chapter 40: The Red Tree

Chapter 4: Witch Of The West

2.7K 80 14
By howtosellmysoul

"Going somewhere?"

Archie flinched at the sudden interruption, almost dropping his bag. He turned around, facing Sir Christian who was standing behind him with a casual smile on his face.

"Yes," Archie nodded. "I am heading to town. I need to go to the apothecary."

"Why is that? Everything okay?" the knight asked, furrowing his brows in worry.

"Holly is sick, I need herbs for her," Archie answered with a soft frown.

"Holly?"

"One of the horses," Archie clarified. Sir Christian said an 'oh' as he nodded in understanding.

"Well," Sir Christian paused. "Would you mind some company?"

"I would not," Archie smiled. "But do you have the time to spare?"

"I have nothing else to do," Sir Christian shrugged. "Besides, I have been meaning to go into town. I do not get many chances to do that without my armor on."

With that, the two friends headed out. Archie had never thought he would become friends with a knight, or that he would become friends with anyone that would still be willing to be around him after knowing his secret. But Sir Christian did not seem to care about Archie and Kenric's relationship. So it was a breath of fresh air to be around him.

"Was the prince angry after he found out you went on the quest without him?" Sir Christian asked as they walked through the streets.

"A little. Nothing I cannot handle," Archie muttered. He paused, wondering why Sir Christian would ask this. "Do not tell me he said something to you."

"Maybe," the knight chuckled, making Archie sigh. "Do not worry. It was nothing I could not handle."

"He can be a little overprotective," Archie replied.

"He is a prince and a warrior. Of course, he is overprotective," Sir Christian said.

"Still. It was not your fault. You did not even know that he did not want me going on quests without him. He should not have said anything to you," Archie retorted.

"You could have gotten hurt. You are not trained," Sir Christian spoke matter-of-factly.

"Get hurt by what?" Archie scoffed. "There was not any threat. Just a pack of wild wolves."

"Why do you sound sad about that?" The blonde asked, raising a questioning brow before his inquisitive look turned into a smirk. "Are you looking for adventure, Archie the Archer?"

"I am not," Archie mumbled. "Besides, I am a stable hand. What would I even do for adventure?"

"Well, you could..." Sir Christian trailed off, he looked as if he was deep in thought, but could not come up with anything. Archie glanced at his face, before scoffing.

"Exactly. There is nothing!" Archie exclaimed. "Unless I go south."

"South?" The knight let out a light chuckle. "What would you do in the South?"

"Fight man-eating beasts and slay soul-sucking witches, what else?" Archie joked, but the knight did not laugh.

"It is not funny, you know," Sir Christian muttered, his lips pressed in a thin line. "South is dangerous."

"Do you believe it? The rumors about the monsters and wizards?" Archie questioned. When the other man did not answer, staring right ahead at the street with an expressionless face, the stable boy continued. "Have you ever been there?"

"Once or twice."

"What did you see?" Archie asked his undivided attention on the knight. Sir Christian did not answer immediately until he turned to face Archie, a grin breaking on his face.

"Nothing," the knight answered. "No man-eaters or soul-suckers."

"Then why did you—"

"We are at the apothecary."

Once they were done buying the herbs that Archie needed for Holly the horse, the two headed out. They stopped by a bakery too, upon Sir Christian's request, and bought pastries. The baker, at first, would not accept any payment as he recognized who Sir Christian was, but the knight insisted, forcefully shoving the coins in his hands.

Archie grimaced at the sight of the tavern, remembering the time when he, Prince Frederic, and Sammy were there, and he got beaten to a pulp. Ah, good ol' days. They passed by the blacksmith too, and Archie had to force himself to not glance at the shop. Ever since his punishment, he had not been able to look at Sammy's father.

It was not because he was angry at Sammy or associated any of the non-existent ill feelings with his father— it was quite the opposite, really. Sammy's father had visited him once, to apologize. He seemed so depressed and broken, so much so that Archie's heart ached just looking at him. From the gossip he heard through the castle servants, the old man was still the same. Hopeless, sad, and lost.

How could he not be? He did not know if he would ever see his son again, whether he was even alive or dead. Sammy could never come back. He would be punished if he was to get caught. And his father had to live with that, live a life of no closure.

Archie sent out a silent prayer, hoping that wherever Sammy was, he was alive and well. That he got his cure.

Archie's eyes widened in realization as he thought of Sammy. He had said that no physician in the entire capital and nearby areas could fix him until he heard of a surgeon in the west that apparently could cure any illness. Was it possible that this said doctor used unconventional methods? Magical ones, even? Is that why the price of the treatment was so high that Sammy saw no other option but to steal royal jewels?

There was a chance that it could be a fake healer. Maybe a con artist. Or maybe just an incredibly skilled medical doctor that knew nothing of magical remedies. But if there was even the slightest chance that whoever this healer was, was legitimate and knew how to break curses, then maybe they could find a cure for the King too.

Considering how high the stakes were and how they had not found anything yet, they needed to check out this lead.

***

"He has pulled back his troops," King Godric stated. "It has been weeks since we signed the peace treaty, and King Alfred has only now pulled back his troops from our borders. Why do you think that is?"

"Maybe he is finally honoring the treaty?" one of the generals offered, making Kenric scoff.

"Or maybe he wants us to get our guard down so that when he attacks we are not prepared," Kenric said, his cynicism showing.

"I agree with the prince," another advisor pitched in. "King Alfred is not to be trusted, despite any piece of paper that he has written his name on."

"Ask our guards to move from the borders, but not too far," the King spoke. "Tell them to still keep an eye, but not make it overly obvious. If it is a show of faith, then we need to return it. If it is a trick, we need to be prepared."

"I will send a messenger," the prince nodded as he replied.

Kenric rubbed his stubble as he walked out of the meeting hall. He desperately needed to shave. His brother would have his head if he showed up with a scraggly beard. Especially considering the kingdom was going to host a ball soon.

Another thing that Kenric could give a rat's ass about. He hated the balls and the parties, only showing his face as much as was necessary before running away and hiding with the knights under the excuse of making sure the security was tight. Maybe this time he could run off to Archie's room. All the servants would be busy with the ball, so there would be nobody to disturb them. Kenric smirked, just thinking of all the things he could and would do with Archie.

He made his way to the stables, his legs almost subconsciously taking him there. When he could not find Archie there or in his room, he asked one of the other stable hands, who informed the prince that Archie had gone to town to run an errand. Kenric was about to leave, when Archie walked in with Sir Christian by his side, both of them talking and laughing, busy with whatever they were conversing about.

"Your Highness," Sir Christian bowed once he saw Kenric. Archie simply smiled, he did not need to fake any formalities like he had when the handmaidens were around.

"How was your trip to town?" Kenric asked.

"It was good," Archie said, excited. "We went to the bakery too!"

"That sounds lovely," Kenric replied softly before his gaze shifted to the knight. "I want you to overlook the repair on the east tower."

"Of course, prince, I will head there right now," Sir Christian spoke before bowing again and walking away. An amused smile on his face as if he knew that the prince only ordered him to look over the construction because he wanted to be left alone with Archie.

Well, he was not wrong in the slightest.

Archie hummed as he walked towards Holly, Kenric following behind him in silence. Archie stroked her mane, before taking out the herbs he had gotten. They were in liquid form, and the physician had told him to mix them in the horse's water. Archie did exactly that, while Kenric simply watched, not disturbing the man at work.

Archie stood back up, petting the horse as he glanced at Kenric for a split second. Kenric furrowed his brows, sensing some form of hesitation.

"What is it?" Kenric asked.

"Do not be mad, please," Archie replied.

"Of course not," Kenric frowned. "You can tell me anything, you know that."

"Yes. Right," Archie nodded, clearing his throat. "So remember when Sammy—"

"The man that let you get lashed in public for his crimes? Who almost caused you to die?" Kenric cut him off, his voice sharp, making Archie sigh. "What about him?"

"When he came to visit me in the dungeon and confessed to what he did...when I told him not to come clean and begged him to run to save himself," Archie spoke, giving Kenric a pointed look. "Well, he told me was going in search of a healer in the west. He had heard that she could cure anything."

"Is that so?" Kenric hummed. "I have never heard of such a healer."

"Maybe she is not real. Maybe she is a fake. But Sammy said she can cure any ill," Archie paused. "If there is even the slightest chance that it is real...maybe we should pay her a visit?"

"Godric is not ill, Archie. He does not have a disease," Kenric whispered as they were out in the open. "He is cursed. There is a difference."

"The way Sammy spoke about her...it seemed like he meant she was not an ordinary physician," Archie explained. "What if she is a witch? It is worth a shot, Ken. We should not leave any stone unturned."

"I see," Kenric mumbled, not fully convinced. "And where do we find this alleged witch of the West?"

"That I do not know," Archie muttered. "But I will ask around. Somebody must have told Sammy, so somebody must know. I will find out where she is."

"Be careful," Kenric warned. "You do not want to be caught asking the wrong questions, Archie."

"Do not worry, I know what I am doing," Archie stated confidently. He wanted himself to believe his words. He had never done anything like this before, but he had never been this dedicated towards something either. He was a man on a mission.

"I will see if I can find something out too," Kenric replied, making Archie grin. He had to physically stop himself from leaping forward and hugging the prince. "Do not get so excited already, my love. This could all turn out to be a bunch of bull."

"Or this could point us in the right direction," Archie said, maintaining his optimism. "It could show us how to save the King."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.3K 599 40
[COMPLETED] Meet Jacob and Theodore, the polar opposites within a tight-knit circle of the most esteemed members of society. Jacob's the laid-back an...
35.1K 1.8K 95
This is Book 2 of Unrequited? The Series We pick up 6 years later and Art finally has it all...his dream career, great friends and an active social l...
141K 7.5K 28
"I can't grow to love you. I'm sorry, but you will always be a second choice to me." ... "You can't last a single day on the battlefield, and you won...
70.2K 2.6K 68
Pulled into a war he never asked to be a part of. Landon Barnett was groomed from birth to succeed his father as the next Alpha of the Regency Falls...