The Dragon and the Rose // Ae...

By 01elissa

Viserra Targaryen was born with death. With her birth causing the death of her mother Queen Alicent Viserra h... More

Cast and Characters
Prologue
Act I: Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Act 2: Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 5

202 11 2
By 01elissa

The morning of the funeral came quicker than expected. Viserra noticed the woeful silence of the seaside castle as she made her way to the kitchens in hopes to find some pastry. She hummed quietly while she walked breathing in the salty scent of Driftmark. 

Today Laena Velaryon's body would be cast out to the sea as per Velaryon traditions. The air of grief was stifling here. Viserra longed to return to the warm sun of King's Landing and escape the dreary weather and mood. 

Viserra's silence was interrupted as she entered the kitchens, entering the chaos of cooks and maids running around with cut meat and vegetables in preparation for the funeral and other meals. She could hear the head cook at the back barking orders at the other staff while she stood near an open flame which was cooking some kind of stew. 

She walked to the area where the sweets were kept, hoping to snag a tart or cake without anyone noticing. As she drifted closer to the counter someone's hand shot out and grabbed her wrist. 

"What do we have here"? The head cook asked, her voice was deep and gravelly as she peered down at Viserra. Her eyes widened in shock once she realized who Viserra was. 

"Princess" she said, dropping her hand immediately as if it were hot coal. "Forgive me I...I did not recognize you" she stammered. Her previous bitterness gone. Viserra gave her a soft smile. 

"It is not a problem" Viserra replied, the woman smiled as she asked "Well what can I do for you your grace"? 

"It's highness" Viserra said abruptly. The woman's eyebrows creased in confusion "For a Princess it's your highness. Grace is reserved for the monarch" Viserra informed. The cook nodded, "Oh I see. Thank you...your highness". Viserra smiled at her in appreciation. 

"If you would be so kind I would love to see your collection of sweets. What can I say I do have a sweet tooth lady..."? Viserra suggested. 

The woman laughed while fiddling with er fingers "Oh I'm no lady your gra... highness. I'm just Mora". 

"Mora. Such a lovely name" Viserra mused making her old woman blush. "In that case Mora could you please show me the sweets" she asked batting her eyes at the cook. Mora laughed again this time with amusement. "Right this way Princess Viserra". 

As Viserra helped herself to a slice of chocolate cake Mora explained the unusual business of the kitchens. "Since the royal family is here along with Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys I've increased everyone's hours of work. But there's still a lot of empty positions so were extremely chaotic" she stated. 

Viserra surveyed the kitchen seeing the sweat and dirt coated on the staff's clothes and faces. Some of them looked as young as her and some could have older than the late King Jaehaerys himself. Viserra knew that she lived a life far better than most others but she hated to see these people working themselves to the death so that her family could have a few extra slices of pork left for dinner. She cringed thinking of how much food would have been wasted at the end of their meals. She wondered how many times she left her plates unfinished, never worrying about what would happen to the delectable food afterwards. 

"Well could I be of any help Mora"? Viserra asked. 

Mora looked scandalized "Oh... why I- I would never ask that of you". Viserra rolled her eyes as she pushed her sleeves back and tied her hair up with a ribbon " Then I demand that you teach me the basics of your craft Mora". 

The woman stilled looked wary "Come on now you don't want to disobey the direct order of a Princess would you?" 

Mora bit her lip in frustration before resigning af5ter Viserra gave her a dazzling smile "Very well then, come". Viserra followed her rolling up the sleeves of her dress and pinning her hair back. 

For the better part of the hour Viserra learnt how to make dough for bread, how to refine sugar to make all kinds of sweets and how to boil vegetables. She was fascinated with the intricacies of creating food. How small measurements and a few leaves could change taste and smell so drastically. 

She conversed with Mora and her daughter Nadia who was around three and ten so roughly Helaena's age. Viserra took a liking to Nadia, she was witty and full of life. All three of them laughed while preparing meals and Viserra felt more at home here than with her own family. 

Soon enough some of the other staff began to notice the Princess among them. Many were talking with Viserra and she found them to be a lovely and humble crowd. 

"Please Princess sing for us!" a man pleaded Viserra laughed awkwardly as she saw their expectant faces. She loved singing. But in private she'd never done more than hum in front of others. Her grandfather's reprimands always came to mind. 

"You mustn't draw attention to yourself like that" he would snap at her. Her face flushed red now. What if she sang horrible? 

She steeled herself before speaking "If you insist" she said laughingly. Viserra closed her eyes and pictured the gardens of the Keep. She imagined that she was walking through them with Ser Tristane as she began singing softly. 

"I let it fall, my heart
and as it fell you rose to claim it.
It was dark, and I was over 
Until you kissed my lips and you saved me. 

My hands they were strong
But my knees were far to weak
Stand, in your arms
Without falling to your feet

But there's a side to you
that I never knew, never knew
All the things you say they were never true never true
And the games you played you would always win
Always win".

Viserra cut herself off before the ballad reached its chorus. She watched as Mora's eyes glassed over and the kitchens fell silent. For a moment it was as if time stood still. And then the room ruptured into applause and cheers. Viserra blushed as people came up to her smiling with tears in their eyes. 

"Oh Princess I had no idea you had such a lovely voice" Mora exclaimed. Nadia hugged Viserra before saying "Your voice is incredible". Viserra never felt this proud of herself. 

These people had only known her for a morning and yet they were warmer and kinder to her than her family had been. Although Rhaenyra had been nothing but affectionate with her, Viserra so desperately longed for the love of her brothers and father. Even her grandfather only conversed with her for his own purposes. 

It was time like this that Viserra wanted to cry out for her own mother. She had no opinion on Queen Alicent. Rhaenyra had a troubled relationship with Viserra's mother and her brothers rarely spoke of her. Viserra imagined that her mother would listen to her singing and all the chatter she had. 

It was said that Queen Alicent was very intelligent and good at politicking. Viserra wanted to be more like her, perhaps then her family would give her more attention. She pushed those thoughts aside and focused on the lovely people around her. She gave them the attention they deserved, listened to their stories and ideas with apt fascination. 

Aemond's pov

He didn't know how long he stood there, outside the kitchens with one ear pressed to the door listening to her. He could hear Viserra's voice through the hustle and chaos the kitchen. Aemond knew that he could find her among an entire sea of people. He wanted to walk away. He should have walked away but when she sang Aemond felt his entire body freeze. The velvety cadence of her voice carried through the silence of the room beyond him, Aemond knew that everyone inside had to have been as much enraptured as he was. That was the effect Viserra had on people. She drew people together like a magnet and stood out amongst them like a rose during the bleak winter. 

He heard her more than he wished he did. Sometimes as he would come back from the Tiltyard after sparring with Cole he could hear her soft humming, escaping through her chambers. Aemond felt like he could listen to her for hours like a man starved. How her sworn guard Tristane who followed her everywhere like a good dog, how he managed to not fall at her feet and worship her he did not know. Her voice was like a siren call, drawing him closer and closer till the point of no return. 

The singing ended quickly and Aemond felt an odd pang in his chest as the earlier chaos and chatter began again. He shook himself out of his stupor and moved off the door. Aemond stumbled back to his chambers finding his grandfather Otto already there. 

"Where were you"? Otto snapped. 

"Out.". Aemond said equally sharp. 

His grandfather reached out and grabbed his shoulder tightly "You cannot go around this castle alone. Do you realize what might have happened if Rhaenyra or her bastards found you, boy" he hissed. 

Aemond's lip curled into a sneer "What would they have done grandfather you are  too afraid, and that is Prince to you". 

His grandfather might be able to worm into everyone else's good graces but not his. This was the man who sold off his own daughter to the King. Aemond remembered how some days he would walk into his mother's chambers to find her in tears, weeping from all the hurt in her heart. And now the bastard wanted to do the same with Helaena by betrothing to Aegon. 

"My comings and goings are none of your concern.". Aemond said sharply. His grandfather's hands dug deeper into his shoulder, making him squirm. 

"You do not understand. Rhaenyra and her sons will need no reason to harm you. You mustn't risk yourself like that. Now where. Were. You"? Otto demanded, irritation and anger lacing his words. 

Aemond rolled his eyes before replying "With Viserra". Otto cocked a brow at that, "You were with Viserra"?. Aemond laughed softly "Is it wrong for me to be around her"? 

"She is your sister. Do not form such an attachment". He mused. Aemond laughed harder, "You are nothing more than a hypocrite grandfather. Was it not you who petitioned the King to wed Helaena and Aegon?" he hissed before his grandfather could speak Aemond carried on. 

"It must be hard for you. The daughter who loved you is gone and three of your grandchildren cannot stand to be in your presence. The only one who does care for you, you push away". Aemond smiled now thinking of the irony that was his grandfather. 

"I cannot imagine being you grandfather. Toiling away each day in hopes of...what?" Aemond could admit that there was a sadistic satisfaction in his cruel words. He had hoped that his grandfather would have more of a reaction but Otto Hightower was a careful, careful man. 

"And what of you Prince Aemond"? his grandfather said harshly. "I see your confliction. You long for Viserra and hate her at the same time. You wish to speak of hypocrisies, what kind of brother forms such a hatred for his own sister.". Aemond flinched at his accusation. 

He knew, Aemond knew how much of a horrible person he was. He loved Viserra he did not doubt that but he couldn't help the feeling that he betrayed his mother by being around Viserra so much. And yet he could not help it. He was drawn to her like moths were drawn to light. The incandescent radiance of the light, no matter now much it burned would always force him closer. But this was not something Aemond wished to discuss with his grandfather. 

Otto sighed as he sat down on the bed, "There is a war coming Aemond. We all need to be ready for it.". Aemond grew more irritated "A war you have created. If only you weren't so obstinate as to placing Aegon as heir". 

"Besides Rhaenyra would make a good Queen, she's a decent person". Aemond didn't truly care for Rhaenyra but Viserra loved her as if she were their mother. He clenched his fists involuntarily. His grandfather sighed again, a tired sound. 

"It would not matter if she were Jaehaerys himself reborn. Rhaenyra is a woman. The Realm will never have her". 

Aemond scoffed "They Lords seemed just fine when the bent the knee to her all those years ago". 

"Yes because King Viserys did not have a male heir at that point. Now that we have you and Aegon many believe that the succession needs...changing.". 

"But...but Aegon will be a horrible King". 

Otto smirked "And Helaena will be by his side as Queen nurturing him and shaping him". 

"You are a twisted person grandfather. If my mother were still here she would be sickened by you.". Aemond said bleakly. 

Otto barked a strange laugh "You know nothing boy, your mother knew the way of things. She was the first person to suggest Aegon as heir". 

"Liar" Aemond hissed at the older man. His grandfather grimaced as he edged closer to the door. 

"If you think me untruthful ask your eldest sister what happened the night of her wedding". With that Otto Hightower left Aemond's chambers once again succeeding in making Aemond doubt himself. Aemond wondered if there was any truth to the old man's words. Was there ever any truth in his words? 

Did I just use Adele? Yes, yes I did. It works so well for this story. Anyways hope your enjoying it so far!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2K 369 6
Michael Hightower, was always seen by his Father Otto as a disappointment. However in Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen's eyes he is a beloved friend. She...
21.4K 401 21
Visenya Targaryen, the second of her name and second born daughter of Queen Alicent and King Viserys. The youngest child born from the Queen and King...
71K 2.1K 24
"I could feed you to my dragon for the way you spoke to my mother, the queen. I would consider you are very reckless." A pure blood Targaryen steps o...
48K 855 32
Story will be set in HOTD with some significant changes. Aemond Targaryen is heir to the throne. Aegon is his younger brother. Rhaenyra Targaryen was...