Chapter 8

When the first light of dawn tickled into her bedroom window Viserra felt oddly calm, the events of last night seemed more like a distant dream washed away by the waning moon and the rising sun. Viserra got out of bed with a sigh donning the dress she had asked a maid yesterday to lay out. She was tired of being treated as a fragile and meek thing. She would be strong, gentle but unyielding. A true rose Viserra thought. Beautiful to admire, dangerous to hold close. As her maids helped her into her attire Viserra admired herself in the mirror smirking at the girl looking back at her. The dress itself was simple. The Hightower colors of green were dominant with long sleeves and golden embroidery it was elegant and tasteful. Viserra paired the dress with an emerald necklace and finally braided her hair back into a coil placing a pin to hold it all in place. 

"You look stunning Princess" one of the maids remarked wistfully. Viserra turned to her and smiled. 

"Thank you...?" she questioned, "Katya, your highness" Katya answered. 

"Thank you Katya, though I must say the credit belongs to the merchants of the Free Cities, it was gift from one of them" she said, hoping not to sound too conceited. 

"Still Princess, you wear it well". Viserra thanked her and the others for their help before stepping out with a warm smile on her face. 

"Good morrow Ser Tristane" Viserra said to her guard who looked at her with raised brows before returning her greeting. They walked together to the dining rooms while Viserra smiled at the servants and maid passing by, some pausing to stare at the young Princess while some went by wordlessly. 

As Viserra entered the dining hall she did not react at everyone's reaction. Rhaenyra and her boys seemed shocked that Viserra was even here, Daemon scoffed and rolled his eyes. Her father seemed to lost to notice her while Aegon raised his glass of wine to her and Helaena smiled at her sweetly. But it was her grandfather Otto's reaction that pleased Viserra the most. Taking in her green attire Otto smiled and gave Viserra an approving nod while beckoning her to sit next to him. As she took her seat Viserra noticed Rhaenyra giving her a look of...apology? Viserra looked away, her half sister was likely lying, just as she lied about her sons' birth. Viserra vowed never to fall for her lies again. Aemond was absent but Viserra did not care, let him brood in his chambers. 

"Come granddaughter, join us.". Otto Hightower spoke with more genteel than Viserra had ever heard from him. She smiled taking her place beside him. 

"You look lovely my dear" Otto said kindly to her, Viserra smiled and thanked him as she eyed Rhaenyra who met her gaze with her own. "What is our next move?" She whispered to her grandfather who looked at her, surprised. 

"Not yet child, we are returning to King's Landing by the evening. We shall discuss this then". Viserra nodded, returning back to the meal in front of her. Rhaenyra stood up suddenly with a smile of her face that made Viserra feel uneasy. 

"I would like to announce that my sons and I shall be returning to Dragonstone with Prince Daemon and his daughters, Baela and Rhaena. We shan't be returning to King's Landing.". She said with grace. 

Viserra was shocked to hear that. She felt a sudden panic. Rhaenyra couldn't leave. Then she would be all alone and... Viserra forced herself to calm down. She'd be fine without Rhaenyra there to hold her hand. She stifled a scoff at the thought of Prince Daemon accompanying her back to Dragonstone. She looked at Luke who was sitting across from her. He gave her a sweet smile which she happily returned. Out of all of her nephews Viserra loved Luke the most. He was so sweet and gentle, even Aegon shared a brotherly affection for the boy. Viserra felt terrible at how scared he must have been yesterday when she asked her father to take his eye. She would apologize before they left.