Almost Lover {Complete}

By rainbowkiller0

As ward of the Queen, Camilla Tully was raised alongside the Princess, Rhaenyra, and the Hand of the King's d... More

Part One
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Part Two
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Part Three
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Part Four
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Epilogue

Chapter Twelve

6.1K 207 7
By rainbowkiller0

The King had been easily persuaded to dismiss his Hand following the allegations made against his daughter. Rhaenyra had agreed to marry the Seasnake's only son if Otto Hightower was no longer Hand of the King, furthering the divide between the three friends.

Alicent had shown up at Camilla's door, crying for her father and herself. She didn't wish to leave the only home she had ever known, nor leave her friend. Camilla had held her while she cried, attempting to soothe her childhood companion. For as long as Camilla could remember Alicent had been the strong one. She had always been the one comforting Camilla and Rhaenyra, holding them while they cried, making sure they ate, dragging them from the depths of their sadness and grief. And now Alicent would no longer be there.

Camilla felt as if she had taken her friend for granted, pushing the knowledge that their time was limited to the back of her mind. She had truly thought she might be able to convince Viserys to allow Alicent to stay somehow, especially if Rhaenyra had been on her side.

But Rhaenyra had left with her father to Driftmark with the intention to secure a match for the Princess. Camilla did not know if Rhaenyra had said her goodbyes, or if she even realized what she had done by sending Otto Hightower away. Camilla wouldn't be surprised if she was truely clueless, as time went on Camilla began to see Rhaenyra as thoughtless and self-serving.

"A moment." Camilla called. Rain fell around her as she rushed through the outer courtyard, nearing the open gate Alicent and her father stood under, watching as their belongings were loaded into a carriage.

Alicent whipped around at her friend's voice. The two girls crashed into each other, tightly wrapping the other in the arms.

"I do not wish to see you go." Camilla whispered, tears welling up in her eyes.

"It cannot be stopped." Matching tears flooded Alicent's kind brown eyes.

"You'll write, won't you?" Camilla slightly pulled away, though the two were still almost chest to chest only a small distance separating them.

"Of course." Alicent promised, her smile watery. "I'll tell you all of Oldtown and you'll update me on the children."

"We will meet again at your wedding, no lord would turn away the chance to host the Queen."

"I'll write to you once I know the date."

"I look forward to hearing from you." Camilla smiled. "I have never attended a wedding except mine own, nor have I left King's Landing before. It will be an adventure to travel across the realm."

"It is time to go, Alicent." Otto Hightower's clear voice came from behind his daughter, his large from towering over her smaller one. A glance towards the waiting carriage showed the servants had finished, now waiting on Alicent and Otto.

Alicent nodded to her father before turning back to Camilla, pulling the Queen into a tight hug. "Goodbye, Camilla."

"Goodbye, Alicent."

Camilla tried to hold back her tears as she watched Alicent climb into the carriage. She did not know the next time she would see her friend, if she ever did again.

"Your Grace."

Camilla turned to where Otto Hightower still stood in front of her, forcing a polite smile as she addressed the older man. "It is sad to see you go, Lord Otto, your time as Hand was a dutiful one. The realm thanks you for your service."

"Thank you, Your Grace. I wished to offer you some advice, if you'd be agreeable to it?" At Camilla's nod the former Hand to the King spoke. "I speak to you as my daughter's close companion, not as my Queen."

Camilla's brow furrowed in confusion. "What is it, Lord Otto?"

"The King will die. It may be months or years, but he'll not live to be an old man. And if Rhaenyra succeeds him, war will follow, the realm will not accept her. And to secure her claim, she'll have to put your children to the sword. She'll have no choice."

Camilla clenched her jaw, her muscles tightening with the effort to keep still. Doubts and worries she had not considered filled her mind. She had thought that if Rhaenyra was Queen her children would be safe, but now she began to realize how stupid she had been.

"What do you propose I do?"

If Otto was surprised by her quick acceptance he hid it well. "Either you prepare Daemion to rule, or you cleave to Rhaenyra and pray for her mercy."

"Thank you, Lord Otto. I shall pray for you and your daughter's safe travel."

Otto Hightower nodded, turning away from the young Queen and joining his daughter in the carriage. He would never admit it, he thought as he gazed at his daughter across the carriage, but a part of him was grateful Alicent had not succeeded in catching the King's eye. At least with Camilla and Alicent's close relationship a future betrothal would be easily negotiated.

★・・・・・・★

The Godswood had welcomed Camilla with open arms, giving the Queen a moment of respite. She loved her children, truly she did, but in that moment all she wanted was to grieve her friendship and think over what Ser Otto had said. All this time she had been convincing Viserys not to name Daemion heir, thinking she was protecting her son when perhaps she was truly endangering him and his twin.

"An outsider," An unfamiliar voice spoke from behind her, causing Camilla to turn from the weirwood tree. "Among the natives."

"Lord Larys." Camilla greeted the man.

"Malvales." He gestured to the bush of flowers in front of him. "A rare bloom. Indigenous to Braavos. By all rights, it shouldn't be thriving here. Nature, such mystery."

"Let us thank the Seven for the lovely weather, then." Camilla spoke, walking down the cobble path, closer to Lord Larys.

"Indeed," The man agreed. "Strange that with such kind weather the Princess has been unwell."

Camilla froze, stopping in her tracks and turning to face Lord Larys. "Unwell? I haven't heard anything."

"I beg your pardon, Your Grace, I may be mistaken." Lord Larys bowed his head in apology, turning back to the plant he had been admiring.

"What do you speak of, my lord."

"It is just that on the very same night that the Hand was dismissed, the Grand Maester delivered a tea to the Princess's chambers."

Camilla's blood ran cold. It couldn't have been moon tea, Rhaenyra had sworn that nothing had happened. She wouldn't have lied, would she have?

"A tea?" Camilla repeated, her voice small.

"Yes."

"That the Grand Maester himself brought?"

"At the direction of the King, as I understand it." Lord Larys stepped closer, leaning heavily against his cane. "I do hope she's not unwell."

"Rhaenyra sailed with the King to Driftmark yesterday at daybreak." Camilla swallowed, putting on a brave face. "She is most assuredly in good health."

"What good news. I must've been in error, a relief truly. I thought for Mellos to craft a tonic himself her condition must be something very serious. What happiness it is to be wrong."

"I apologize, Lord Larys, but I must attend to my children."

"Of course, Your Grace. Do not let me keep you."

Camilla tried to keep her steps easy, holding herself back from running from the Godswood. Her eyes burned with unshed tears at the thought of what truly happened that night. How could Rhaenyra have done such a thing, and then lied to Camilla and Alicent about it? She had sworn on her mother, how could she be so cruel.

★・・・・・・★

Princess Helaena's wails filled the room as Camilla attempted to soothe her youngest child, bouncing the babe on her hip as she walked around her bedchambers. She tried not to think of the rooms she slept in, of the blood that had been spilled three years ago. She tried not to remember her aunt's kindness and gentle smile, imprisoned in the very room Camilla now lived in. Before she could truly ponder her existence, the door opened and a servant announced Ser Criston's arrival.

Camilla handed the weeping babe to the servant and pressed a kiss to her daughter's cheek as the armored man entered the room, an uncomfortable look clear on his face.

"Please have a seat, Ser Criston." Camilla waved to one of the settees at one end of the room.. "I fear I must question you on a delicate matter."

With a nod, the Knight did what was asked of him. "I am your servant as always, my Queen."

"It concerns the Princess Rhaenyra." Camilla followed the man sitting on the settee across from him. "You are her sworn protector and rightly loyal to her, correct?"

"I am."

"The night of Daemon's return," Camilla began, not knowing how exactly to ask. "There's been a rumor, or rather the former Hand received an accounting of a lapse of morals that may have occurred between- It is of course unthinkable for me to question the virtue of the Princess, whom I hold in highest regard, but I did however, wonder if?"

Ser Criston merely stared at the Queen, no hint of what he was thinking or feeling clear on his face.

Camilla took a deep breath before continuing. "I'm not unaware that in the flush of youth there may be errors made, breaches in resolve, breeches or rather lapses-"

"It happened, Your Grace." Ser Criston blurted out. "The sin you allude to. I have committed it. At her instigation, but that should- it is no excuse. My oath has been broken. I have dishonored myself. I deserve no consideration. But if you are inclined to pity, my Queen, I would only ask that rather than gelding me and having me tortured. You would sentence me mercifully to death."

Camilla had hoped hearing Ser Criston's admittance would have soothed her heart, but it only caused more doubts and questions to appear. If Rhaenyra had lied about remaining a maiden after laying with her sworn protector, who was to say something didn't happen that night at the brothel between Rhaenyra and Daemon.

"Thank you for your honesty, Ser Criston. You may go, but I do not know if I can pardon you from a repeat of this transgression." Camilla warned the older man.

Ser Criston nodded, moving towards the door in an effort to flee from this uncomfortable situation. As the King's Guard passed through the door another servant entered the room.

★・・・・・・★

Upon his return to the Red Keep, Viserys had collapsed as he exited the wheelhouse. The King had been quickly carried to his chambers where the maesters had already begun to set out their tools. When Viserys had finally regained consciousness, he had found himself on a chaise in his bedchambers, the Grand Maester and his apprentice hovered over him while Lord Lyonel Strong, the new Hand of the King stood against the wall.

"Rest now, Your Grace." Mellos spoke. "I will bring the leeches."

"If I may, Grand Maester, I took the liberty of preparing a fresh set of herbal poultices that might be more effective."

"That will not be necessary, Orwyle." Mellos dismissed his apprentice. "The leechings have always brought His Grace relief."

Viserys' eyes cracked open as the maesters cleaned up and filed out of the room, but not before the Maester Orwyle handed a small bottle to Lord Lyonel. The new hand neared his King, placing the vial on a nearby table, neither man noticed as Camilla entered the room.

"Where's the Queen?" Viserys asked, his voice slow with the effort it took to speak.

"I am here, my love, I was caring for the children." Camilla answered, surprising the men with her sudden appearance. Though Camilla paid Lord Lyonel no mind, kneeling beside the chaise and grabbing Viserys' uninjured hand, playing the dutiful wife. "How are you faring?"

"I am alright."

"Nonsense, Viserys, I was told you had collapsed. I had thought you dying, fearful when I arrived it would be too late." It was the truth. She had been frightened, but not over losing her husband, moreso over her children's fate.

"I apologize, my dear." Viserys whispered, lifting up his hand and tracing Camilla's cheek with his fingertip.

"You could've written or sent for them. You are King, Viserys, people will fall over themselves to do as you ask."

"It was important, Camilla. Negotiations needed to begin right away."

"You have young children, Viserys, they have not had the chance to truly know their father yet. Do not steal that chance from them. You must take care of yourself, for them, for me. Do not forget about us."

Viserys nodded, lifting the hand holding his wife's to his lips, pressing a kiss to the soft skin of the back of her hand. Perhaps she was right, he should focus more of his attention on his younger children.

AN: The next chapter will be the wedding and another Daemilla reunion and then were on to part three.

I'm lowkey using this story so I don't have to deal with Enora and Viserys, I just want them to live happily ever after with no deaths ever.

-ELE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94K 3.6K 48
*COMPLETE UNTIL SEASON 2* Prince Maekar Targaryen was the eldest son of the King and his first wife Lady Moira Dondarrion. He was heir to Dragonstone...
10.5K 250 15
Sienna Targaryen was born in 81 AC five minutes before Daemon Targaryen. Everyone had expected her to be like Daemon but as she grew up it became inc...
47.4K 1.4K 52
"And everything's easier way out west Wholly mad and half undressed I love the way it always feels to miss you I tell all my friends every thing you...
288K 6.9K 91
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐀 1 Princess Alyssa Velaryon, the firstborn child and only daughter to the Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen has been betrothed to the King's eldest...