The Innocent Mistake

By Poohbear8435

"Sidhaaarth..", the young girl cried again. "What did you say?", He asked. "Sidharth?", She replied a little... More

The Cover
Prologue
The Innocent Mistake - 1
The Innocent Mistake - 2
The Innocent Mistake - 3
The Innocent Mistake - 4
The Innocent Mistake - 5
The Innocent Mistake - 6
The Innocent Mistake - 7
The Innocent Mistake - 8
The Innocent Mistake - 9
The Innocent Mistake - 10
The Innocent Mistake - 11
The Innocent Mistake - 13
The Innocent Mistake - 14
The Innocent Mistake - 15
The Innocent Mistake - 16
The Innocent Mistake - 17
The Innocent Mistake - 18
The Innocent Mistake - 19
The Innocent Mistake - 20
The Innocent Mistake - 21
The Innocent Mistake - 22
The Innocent Mistake - 23

The Innocent Mistake - 12

1.7K 335 150
By Poohbear8435

On their way back, Sidharth occupied the seat in the bus just behind Sana. He stared at her intently though her face wasn't visible and soon drifted into his thoughts about the conversation he heard between the doctor and Sana.

"Doctor, my feet is swollen.", Sana complained like a kid which made the doctor chuckle whilst Sidharth looked at her feet. It was indeed distended.

"Hmm.. it is normal during pregnancy. Due to growing pressure of your womb, the blood circulation to your leg gets affected thus the fluids gets accumulate in your legs, ankle and feet. Try increasing potassium rich food in your diet, avoid standing for long hours and drink more water.", The doctor suggests.

"Drink more water? I am already visiting bathroom so frequently.", Sana made a sad pout.

"Awww.. I know! (Tee-heed) Well, feet massage can help as well.", The doctor suggested further.

"Doctor, it hurts here when I sit, sleep or stand.", Sana hesitantly asked pointing at her hip portion.

"I know sweetheart. I am a mother myself. Pregnancy can be very very stressful. Your body is preparing you for the birth. Your bones around the area are loosening up making way for the baby to come out.", The doctor explained with empathy. However, Sidharth could clearly feel the fear written on Sana's face because he felt it too.

"H.. how does the.. baby come.. out?", Sana stammered to put the question forward. All this while, all she thought was about the past and present situation but now when the doctor was speaking about it, it made her curious. Moreover, her earlier visits were all with her mother accompanying her. She was somewhere assured that her mother would be there by her side. Now after she was gone, Sana was all by herself. She ought to know what was going to happen in the future with her.

The doctor stared at her with sympathy and then looked at Sidharth, who felt guilty and put his head down. The doctor went back in her seat and sighed into her palm.

"The same way she went in.", The doctor said.

"Huh?", Sana was puzzled unable to understand what she meant.

"One of our midwives would give you some brochures and reading materials which would prepare you for the birth. She will also demonstrate you some breathing and other excercises which would help you keep calm during labour. Everything will be fine sweetheart. Just hang in there!!", The doctor smiled.

Sana nodded her head before she and Sidharth came out of the clinic and sat in the waiting area.

"Kap-oor.. Kap-oor.. Sana Kap-oor..", A friendly midwife called out her name in Australian accent. However, Sana was still lost in her thought.

"Sana..", Sidharth called her out of the thought.

"Huh?", Sana looked at him and he immediately lowered his head as she had earlier instructed him to not look at her face.

"The midwife is calling you.", He spoke with lowered eyes. Sana looked at the lady and stood up.

"Hi Sana, I am Stella, the midwife. How are we doing today?", Stella introduced in a friendly tone.

"Good, thank you.", Sana replied.

"Lovely!! Well, come in with me.", Stella says pointing her hand at the door.

"Aaa.. Can I call him along?", Sana asked. Even though she was not in good terms with him, she wanted someone to be with her at this moment.

"Sure darlin'. Do you want me to call him for you?", Stella asked.

"I'll call him myself.", Sana said. He was staring at her back all this time hence the moment Sana turned to him, he lowered his gaze to her feet.

"Sidharth.. come with me.", Sana called and he instantly stood up on bis feet and followed her inside.

Stella gave her quite a few brochures along with a checklist of items to get during labour. She then demonstrated some breathing techniques to her which Sana practiced with her. All this while Sidharth kept observing them.

A chattering noise and laughter of a handful of higher secondary school students fell over Sidharth's ears. He observed Sana, who was staring at them intently studying their uniforms and fun talks. Perhaps, she missed her school days and the fun they had.

What took over his mind that day, that he committed the gravest sin of his life. As he thought, he crushed the bag in his hand and he heard something crumple. Looking inside the bag, he pulled out the brochures and started to read it.

...
...
...

"I want to eat Maggie.", Sana demanded over the phone as soon as he asked her if she ate her lunch. It was just two days back that he gave her the phone number when he accompanied her to the park in the evening.

"Hmm.. I will get it.", He said almost immediately.

"Take your time.", She said not to rush him as he had a job to keep.

He hummed before disconnecting. He used his lunch break to run an errand to the nearby Asian store and reached her home with a pack of noodles. Ringing the doorbell, he silently walked in when she opened the door. He then cooked the maggie himself by adding a few chopped veggies in it.

When he walked close to her and gave her the bowl, his lowered eyes caught sight of her swollen feet.

"S..Sana..", he said without looking at her face.

"Hmm..", she hummed as she slurped the first bite.

"M..May I massage.. your feet..?", he stuttered asking the question. She tried to look at her feet which were blocked by her baby bump but with the tautness she could say they were definitely puffed.

It took her a few seconds before she finally gave him permission. As soon as he received the green signal from her, he quickly grabbed some oil from the place she mentioned. She hesitantly placed her feet on the teapoy. It took great courage of him to touch her feet and for her to allow him to do so. He gently rubbed her feet which slowly turned from discomfort to soothing.

"I googled the birthing video yesterday.", Sana spoke which made him momentarily freeze his hand.

"Hmmm..", he hummed as he continued to massage her feet.

"It's very painful Sidharth..", her painful cry caused his soul to shiver. He didn't have words to speak to her. What should he say?

I am sorry for bringing the pain to you?

You will be alright Sana?

You are strong, you can do it?

No!! Nothing seemed right! Just nothing!

He silently held both her feet and touched his head to her soles. Her eyes widened when the hot liquid from his eyes came in contact with her soles. It churned her heart to see him so vulnerable to her words.

"Just leave Sidharth.", She yelled painfully pulling her leg away from his hand. He stood up with his hands crossed and head lowered like her servant.

"Go away Sidharth.. your lunch break is over.", She cried again. He turned around and left her home.

She plopped on the bed and weeped her eyes out loudly and lonely. Why did it hurt her to see him suffer? He wasn't her best friend anymore after that day. Why was he here? It was painful having him around her but at the moment she had no one with her besides him. He was her only solace even if it meant that he was the sole reason for her misery.

...
...
...
...

Sana picked up a delivery checklist sheet from the nearby table as she laid in the bed. Reading the lines, she realised that she had to prepare a bag for she can get labour pain anytime. She had just approached her 37 weeks pregnancy.

"I want to shop for the baby.", Sana spoke that evening at the park.

"Hmmm.. when do we go?", He asked as he stopped the breathing exercise which he practiced along with her to keep company.

"Papa is working on Saturday, will go on Saturday.", Sana suggests.

"Okay.", Sidharth nodded.

Sidharth counted the money he had been earning over these weeks. His pay wasn't that great but he could cover the expenses as he didn't pay a rent and spent only minimal on food.

On Saturday, she stepped out of the house and met him. They both rode the bus and went to the nearest mall. She looked around in astonishment. This was the first time she had visited out of the house other than park or hospital. The little freedom brought some happiness to her. He took her to Kmart store and her feet stopped at the 'Babies' section.

"Sidharth, look at this. Isn't it cute?", She found herself forgetting everything. The tiny clothes and accessories brought out a smile in her. Her eyes wandered from aisle to aisle checking it all. But even after so much time, she couldn't select any clothes.

"Do you want to go to another store", he asked.

"No, I don't know what size to buy?", She mumbled.

"Let's ask them.", He pointed to the store assistant. Sana agreed and the lady explained to her the sizes. After some clarity, Sana finally settled in for a few onesies, baby nappies, wet wipes and other essentials for the baby listed in the checklist.

"Is that all?", Sidharth asked as she saw the checklist. They were already standing in the queue for self assisted checkout.

"Aaaa.. uuuummm.. one moment.", Sana hesitantly excused and went to the lady once again leaving Sidharth alone with the tray.

She pointed her finger at a item on the checklist and the lady nodded her head. She took her to the sanitary section and pointed at the maternity sanitary pads. In the meantime, as the queue slowly moved, Sidharth mentally calculated the amount the items in the basket would cost. He would be left with just $10 after billing he thought.

"That one please..", the store attendant directed him to the empty self assisted checkout counter. Sidharth nodded and pushed the trolley to the counter. He scanned QR on the items one by one and kept it on the other side. When he placed the final item after scanning, Sana who had returned scanned the sanitary pad.

Sidharth looked at the amount that the system now flashed and bit his lower lip. It was $2 dollars over the amount he had on his card. He clicked on the pay button on the screen with shivering hand followed by the option Card. He then swiped his card near the card reader and shut his eyes in embarrassment after hearing a decline tone.

The red light flickered signalling the store attendant for assistance. She came and looked at the screen.

"Your card has declined. Do you want to try again with another card?", The assitant asked resetting the system to payments.

Sana tapped the card she had in her purse immediately. The assistant helped her with a receipt and wished them a good day.

"Sana, I was short by $2.", Sidharth said, as they both stuffed in the items.

"That's fine! I had Papa's card.", She muttered.

______

To be continued ❤️❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 15.5K 49
Sidharth Shukla, a famous rockstar and Shehnaaz Gill, a crazy fan of him. Their worlds are totally different. Shehnaaz's always dreamt that one day s...
35.5K 5.6K 23
A simple cute love short story ❣️ . . . .
3K 97 12
"Manik Malhotra's" life changes after an accident leaves him paralyzed and in need of a caretaker "Nandini," who comes from a different background...
17.7K 640 13
What to write.... Just read the story to know as I can't think of any good description. Taekook / kookv As always top kook Tae as girl ( warning do...