Night on Fire (EdgerunnersXMa...

By Lotus_Horizon

If you had the power to stop all of the bad in your world, would you stop it if you could? Of course you woul... More

Chapter 1: Cat Outta Hell
Chapter 2: Angels in Night City
Chapter 3: Smooth Criminal
Chapter 5: Blast from the Past
Chapter 6: Initiative

Chapter 4: Upper Echelon

1.8K 99 48
By Lotus_Horizon

  I stumbled into an apartment building bleeding from my arm and limping with a bullet in my leg. Knocking on the door, I wait for a moment until the door is answered.

Kiwi: Hmm, you look like shit.

  I removed my mask and took my hood off as I just sighed.

Y/N: Can you take some bullets out for me?

  Kiwi let me inside as I noticed her in mainly casual clothing. Just a tank top and panties. I admit it was hard not to stare. Although she noticed as I felt a sparking pain from my neck.

Kiwi: Keep staring and I'll make your eyes explode.

Y/N: That's a thing you can do?

  Kiwi ignored my question as she just set me on the couch. Leaving for a moment only to come back to get some supplies to remove your bullets. You lay over her lap as she removes the bullets and patches up your wounds.

Kiwi: Don't you got like literally anyone else to do this?

Y/N: No. Besides, you like causing me pain.

  As you rest and bite your lip from the pain, you get a call from David.

Y/N: Yo, what up choom.

David: Why didn't you tell me?

Y/N: You gotta be more specific.

David: I know that you're Hell Cat.

Y/N: . . . Well. Yeah. I didn't  really hide it well. I was in too much pain anyway. When did you find out anyway?

David: Ever since mom's medical bills got covered before you even found out. I had a feeling then, but just thought you saw it on the news or heard it on the radio. But then when I offered you the job to Maine and the others. That's when it was sole to be the truth. I didn't wanna believe it, or. . . more like I couldn't believe it. But. . . Thank you.

Y/N: GAH careful Kiwi, I'm sensitive you know.~

 Kiwi stabs you in the back with the needle making you wince in pain as she gave you an annoyed look.

Kiwi: Shut up. Fucking creep.

Y/N: Well, David. No problem. It's the least I could do. I could have done more, but I only can use so much without my mother getting curious.

David: So, what kind of upgrades you got?

Y/N: Just claws, monowire, nightvision optics, some leg implants that let me jump higher and run faster. Even got some reinforced bones . I was gonna get more custom items though. MY cyber deck could use an upgrade. Maybe I should get a tail? I already got fangs.

David: . . . Fangs?

Y/N: Yep. Retractable. Mostly for intimidation whenever I need information. Also because they got a neuro toxin in them. IF I ever get all my other weapons compromised, I still got them.

David: Why not use things like guns?

Y/N: I don't know, why did you install a dumbass sandy huh? . . . Sorry, that was a bit too hostile. But I don't use guns because I suck at aiming.

David: Really? Then why not come with me and Rebecca to the firing range? She'd gonna be teaching me how to shoot as well.

Y/N: I'm better than just guns David.

David: No offense, but your suit looked pretty basic last I saw you. Why not. . . upgrade yourself?

Y/N: What? You want me in a tight netrunner suit like I'm Catwoman or something? 

David: No not that. Think about it, you're smart, rich, your literally in the upper echelon of the city. Hell, maybe even the world. Use that money to get yourself an upgrade. 

Y/N: I. . . . I'll get back with you on that. I gotta go now. You just gave me an idea.

  You end the call as Kiwi seems done patching you up. She lets out a sigh signaling you to get up. You thought about it and then your mind clicked.

Y/N: 'If you think about it, I'm an above average intelligent boy with enough money to pay for gear that would put Adam Smasher to shame probably. . . But I'm not gonna go that hard in the paint. Just stuff to get me an edge.'

  You put your jacket on as you get on the couch and give Kiwi a smooch on the cheek.

Kiwi: What the fuck!?

Y/N: Oh don't act like I haven't done that before. It's how I say thank you to the hot ones.

  You open the window of her apartment and leap out. The dig your claws into the side of the wall as you think to better upgrade yourself and everything you've got so far. You make your way down the building back to your motorcycle as you decide to take a little detour through the city.

  Driving around, you stop by certain stores for parts. A clothing store here, A ripper doc there, a weapons vender here, and an auto shop being your final stop. You make it back to your base which is a garage.

  Once you park, you unlock the garage and open it. Hearing a could of familiar meows as you see your two cats. One as white as snow, and the other as dark as the night.

Y/N: Hello Shade, hello Ghost. 

  You say as you pet the two cats. You go through your stuff, putting the items you just purchased onto the table before you. Cracking your knuckles and getting to work. As youwork you look to the side of your work table and see a helmet of yours that Gloria had purchased for you as a birthday gift.

  You remember that birthday. It was one to fully recall.

**************

  It was a rainy day. Gloria was driving me back to my apartment.

Y/N: . . . Thank you for the party Gloria. It was nice to have at least one of my moms around.

Gloria: Try to understand, Kimi is a busy woman. A real workaholic that one. She only wants a stable future for you.

Y/N: I know. Not like I needed her around anyway.

  All honesty, Gloria was more of a mom to you than your actual mother.

Y/N: You knew her for a while right? What was she like when you guys were younger.

  Gloria thought it over a bit, the sound of rain hitting the windshield of the car was soothing. Rides in the rain always relaxed me. Watching the city as we drove to Westbrook.

Gloria: Kimiko was always a smart one. Never really knew how to have fun. Her family was strict, but I got her to loosen up a bit here and there. Didn't really connect with her until we got older and she got her job. Then when she had you, that's when we really bonded. I see a lot of me and her in you and David. That's why I always like having you around, gives you a break from the high and busy life, and keeps him out of trouble.

Y/N: . . . hmm. Nova, I guess.

Gloria: Seems the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

  Some time later, she stops by your apartment as you exit the car

Y/N: Thank you for the ride Gloria.

Gloria: Wait, hold on. I have something for you.

  She rushes out of the car to the back and pulls out a box with a red ribbon on it.

Gloria: Saved some eddies to get you this. I know you have a thing for motorcycles, so I thought this would suit you.

  I take the box and open it. It was the helmet that I used to make a name for myself. Though at the time, I was mixed about it.

Y/N: . . . Looks a little feminine doesn't it? And what's with the braids?

  Gloria laughed a bit, clearly embarrassed.

Gloria: Sorry. I personally thought it matched your flare. If you don't want it then I can-

  I instinctively rushed to her and hugged her. Not wanting her to feel like I didn't appreciate the gift in the slightest. She was surprised at the sudden hug, but I held onto her tightly.

Y/N: No! I really do appreciate it. I mean that. Thank you so much. Though, I really wish you didn't waist so many eddies on me. You know my family can afford these things.

  Gloria hugs back.

Gloria: It's less about the eddies, and more about showing you that you're appreciated. Your mom loves you too, she'd never been good at showing love since she was never loved when she was younger. Just want you to know that you're loved too.

  She plants a kiss on my cheek before walking back to the car. A smile on my face is left behind as I watch her leave, though once again my vision fades in static as I wake up to reality.

**************

  You worked tirelessly for hours. Taking your own measurements to better fit your outfit, and having an extra attachments that aided you in holding items and reaching across certain spaces in the room.

  A smile crept across your tired face as you put on the fruits of your labors, then moving to your motorcycle. Adding radiant neon lights to it's chassis. Lit up like a blue fire. IT was bitter work, but it was well worth it all to look the part of being in the upper echelon of mercs in Night City.

  A couple days later, in the hospital, Gloria rested in her bed looking out the window over Night City. Light rain falling on the glass as she feels relaxed and happy just to be alive.

Doctor: Ms. Martinez, you have a visitor. 

  Gloria turns over to see a woman with dark hair, tied up into a bun and a serious expression plastered on their face. A long black coat over their body as they put their umbrella to the side. Walking to Gloria's side.

Gloria: Oh, hey Kimiko. Didn't expect you to visit me.

Kimiko: (Y/N) told me about your. . . accident. So I thought I'd stop by to see the status of your. . . health.

Gloria: Better late than never I guess. I won't be out for some time, but I'm making good recovery time. I just didn't think we could afford such treatment.

Kimiko: You know (Y/N) did this. I found out after he told me about this accident. He used his own funds to assist you. Although I do not know how he has earned so many eddies.

Gloria: Always in his business still I see. You used to be so fun, what happened to you?

Kimiko: I grew up Gloria. I'm and exec in Arasaka and I am preparing (Y/N) to do the same. But, I didn't come here to discuss my life with you. I only came to make sure you were alright. And since you are, I shall return to my business.

  Kimiko goes to leave, but Gloria grabs onto her hand, holding her in place before she left.

Gloria: Just don't push yourself to hard. You can't control everything in your life like you think. You'll kill yourself trying.

Kimiko:. . . Watch me.

  Kimiko shakes her hand free as she leaves the room. Gloria letting out a sigh as she turns back to the window. Looking to the streets, she notices a motorcycle lit with blue neon lights blazing through the streets. 

*Meanwhile*

  David and the others just arrive at the Afterlife, meeting up outside.

Rebecca: You think Hellcat's gonna be here?

David: Probably. 

Lucy: I sent him the invite. It's up to him. But he's usually busy killing some Cyberpsychos or Maelstrom gonks around this time anyway. He likes takin their tech to sell or whatever.

Maine: Well if he'll be here let's-

  The conversation is stopped as they hear the revving of a motorcycle. Everyone outside the Afterlife takes note as the lights of a blue neon motorcycle speed into the lot. Stopping right in front of the group. A lot of them staring with wide eyes as the man get's off their motorcycle. 

  The clicking of their boots echoes as they walk over to the group.

David: . . . Hellcat?

  You wave hey to the group as they take in your new style.

(This art is the reason this chapter was delayed. I had to design a suit for you.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 34 21
It's time for hero studies and with an upcoming raid on Shie Hassaaikai, change is coming and not all change is for the better. If you knew when you...
127K 3.9K 56
𝘞𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘦π˜₯ 𝘡𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘒𝘭𝘭 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦... ________________________________________ γ€Žπ€π πŽπƒπƒ 𝐅𝐔𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄 πˆπ“ π’π„π„πŒπ’...
382 3 14
If tyranny reigned superior but you had the power to stop it, to fight it, to fight for those who could not... You would, wouldn't you?
25.5K 479 10
What if there was another member of Maine's crew? Let's find out.