Mountains Vast and a Kingdom...

By BaileyMadsWriter

Tags: Romantic Fantasy, Intrigue, Royal Family, Sexy shifter smex, Love triangle angst, Fierce characters ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Julissa
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Simmons
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Mikah
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
BEDIVERE
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
XIRNA
Chapter 105
Mikah
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109

Chapter 76

1 0 0
By BaileyMadsWriter

Part of the wagon ride is smooth, but the horses neigh as if they have colic, so the wagoner ceases, urging the pair to stretch their legs. Xirna appraises the wagon's top mounted with snow. She smiles at Mikah's mittens, nudging them in Bedivere's face.

"You enjoy the snow?"

"It is a show," she says.

"I fear frost bite," he says.

"You should fear nothing, Angel Voice."

"Negative." He groans. That is a deplorable title.

"If we are to call attention to ourselves in the new city, you need a stage name."

"Your beauty is all we need," he quips so she smack his shoulder.

"How about the Tunes Master?"

"Negative."

"Sing...hmm...talented." She caresses her chin. "Your singing will make all the females wet of course."

"Xirna!" He blushes.

"What? How about, Gentle Flute?"

"You are acting preposterous. I can name myself. The singer from Nirmanda."

She agrees that it is perfect. To pass the time, they drink hot cocoa from the thermos, exchanging thoughts about the barren lands they are traveling through, what might be ahead. The nymph is a lovely companion, but he does not aim to get mushy on her. When it seems the wagoner is taking advantage of the break, Bedivere reminds him of the coin payout, and so they carry on.

A sign decrees Boardsboa, eleven kilometers and Bedivere's stomach constricts. Coming home has been one matter, but he is not prepared to begin anew. Yet, he must be. Making others' fancy is survival, an imperative levy to the capitol. Once the wagoner parks his transportation, Bedivere pays him and wishes him a triumphant day. The wagoner is confused but tells them good luck. It is to be expected the setting differs from Nirminda, but what not is to be expected is the population drop.

"Why is there no activity?" Xirna asks. Her coat is not warm enough, she should have layered another.

"Perhaps they are sleeping," he suggests.

"It is ten o clock. Cities like this lack a curfew. Where are the drunks?"

"Should we check in to our lodging?" Most of the budget poured into this stop.

"If we must." She frowns.

Inside the bellhop welcomes them and places their belongings on a trolly. "See you up there."

"Ah yes. We are 215," he says.

The innkeeper provides basic information, but the boils on his face are difficult to ignore. On nearly every syllable he coughs. Not subtle, Xirna rushes upstairs, likely wary of infection.

"Are you alright?" Bedivere asks.

"No. Damn pantheon trying to kill us all." From the back of the check in station, a female fairie with strange blots all over her face begins to speak.

"Father, the pantheon is not trying to kill us." She looks to Bedivere. "Ignore him. There is a plague."

"A plague? In this sector?"

"In the whole Boardsboa territory. Seventy percent of us are gone. The ones who remain..." she trails off. It may be so that the boils are one symptom of a galaxy sized issue.

"Am...What should I do?" As a newcomer he is vulnerable.

"I suggest you take some of these." She forks over some cloth material with strings. She does a demonstration on how to wear it. "But do not worry. The pestilence is gone; the air is not quite agreeable though."

"Okay." He wishes to pry but he is exhausted. Tomorrow. "I will retire now. Thank you." The inn is more rustic than charming but the torches work and it does not smell of asbestos. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

284 26 17
"You're a Shifter." This caught me off-guard. A Shifter? I had heard of them, thieves and criminals that are able to shift to the Other Realm using s...
2.6M 87.2K 46
"Shift." His voice hit me like a serrated blade as he stepped out of the crude semicircle of hardened wolves that had formed around me. I pushed mys...
1.1K 254 56
Love, Happy Endings, Soulmates, these are the things we want and need in life, we want to get them, but it's easier said than done. Certain factors n...
28.6K 1K 4
"Know one thing very clearly, babe. I will never be bound to you for eternity at the cost of anything. Even my life." She was all alone in the world...