HSDWM, a fanfiction

By wyrdingway

This is an alternate continuation of an abandoned wolf shifter story currently on this platform. This picks u... More

Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38

Chapter 33

309 7 2
By wyrdingway

The rest of the week passed relatively smoothly.

Xavier kept me with Cameron at training. He said doing so was also improving Cameron's technique.

School was okay. I got my test scores on Wednesday and with an A minus and a B. I was pretty proud of myself.

That was also the day Xavier's new mattress arrived. After he'd settled his new mattress in his room he came into my room, saying, "Come on, let's move your stuff."

He opened my closet and grabbed my suitcases.

Confused, I looked up from the homework I was doing and asked, "Wait, what?"

He drew a heavy sigh and turned to look at me as he set my suitcases on my bed.

"My new mattress arrived today."

"Yeah..."

I knew he'd said he'd gotten used to sleeping with me, and he has been sharing my bed since we arrived home, but I didn't think that meant we'd continue to sleep in the same room after his new mattress arrived.

"I sleep better when you're beside me. I want you in my room and in my bed."

So many emotions coursed through me I could hardly breathe for the weight. Staring at him I whispered, "Were you going to ask me what I want?"

His eyes widened and he paled. "I thought..." His face contorted in pain, he shook his head and strode toward the door.

I jumped out of my chair and ran to him, grabbing his wrist. "Hey! Xavier! Stop. Talk with me. That's all I'm asking."

He stopped, his eyes closed. I could feel him trembling under my touch.

"Please, let's have a conversation about this."

I watched as he opened his eyes. His brow furrowed as his gaze caught on something on my wall. He lifted his hand to grab the sticky note that was still stuck to the wall beside the door.

He wriggled his wrist out of my grasp and put his arms around me pulling me to his chest. "You're right. We do still have so much to talk about," He mumbled as he pressed his lips to my head. "Ash, will you please move to my room?"

I sighed and wrapped my arms around his waist. "So long as we do talk, then yes we can move my things to your room." I raised my face to look up at him, saying, "I've gotten used to you, too."

He nodded and squeezed me closer before we went to sit, me on the chair and him on the end of the bed. An awkward silence spread between us as we stared at each other before we both looked away.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I've been looking forward to moving back to my room and I didn't think to ask you how you felt about moving..."

"You're the alpha. You're used to getting what you want when you want it, and you're not used to anyone questioning you," I said, stretching my leg out to tap his knee with my toe.

"Yeah." He caught my ankle and gently pulled so the chair I was sitting on rolled toward him and settled my foot in his lap and began to absently stroke the top of my arch and ankle. "But you question me."

"And it annoys you." The tingles dancing along my skin were very relaxing. I wondered if it was relaxing for him, too.

"It does," he agreed. "I'm not used to being challenged." He sighed, "But obviously, it's what I need." He patted my foot.

My brows rose. "How so?"

"You wouldn't be my mate if I didn't need a challenge."

I blinked at him, not quite understanding.

"Ash, I'm not a good person-"

Frustrated, I thrust my hands up, exclaiming, "You say that, but I don't understand-"

"I'm the hybrid Alpha, Ash." His eyes were hard as they bore into mine. "Aside from my father no other alpha is as strong, or as fast, or as clever and intelligent as I am. No single wolf is capable of beating me in a fight." He looked away and his posture shifted as though a great weight was bearing down on him as he said, "and I really enjoy being able to beat the crap out of anyone stupid enough to try fighting me."

"Like that guy at that bar we went to at the lake house," I whispered.

"Yeah." His eyes met mine again. "But you challenge me in a way I'm not used to. In a way I can't fight."

"Is that why you walk away and say you're poison?"

"I walk away when you make me see I'm being an ass... because I can't fight our bond, you and my wolf all at the same time... I'm poison because of things I've done... how I treated you... how I treated my best friend..."

I tilted my head, my brows furrowing. "I thought you were no longer fighting our bond."

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Fighting the bond wasn't quite what I meant. Fighting what the bond, and my wolf are encouraging me to do... with you... because I don't think either of us is ready... for... some things." Opening his eyes he let his gaze trail up my body from the foot he was holding and gave me a pointed look.

It took a moment for what he was hinting at to dawn on me. "Oh..." Oh. That. I felt my face heat up and looked away, suddenly feeling shy.

He smirked and shook his head. "There's that blush. You are so innocent."

I licked my lips and squirmed. My stomach chose that moment to speak up with a growl.

Xavier chuckled. "I agree. Tell you what," He patted my foot before setting it on the floor beside it's partner, "let's take this conversation to the diner."

I reached for my shoes. "Will this be a date?" We were going out Friday after the full moon, but I wasn't sure if all our outings would be considered dates.

"Mm, no," he shook his head, "I'm planning an evening out for us." He waited patiently as I shoved my feet into my socks and shoes, then took my hand and led me to his car.

Unfortunately for our conversation, Jordan and Cameron entered the diner just as we were sitting down and joined us at our table.

******

The night of the full moon everyone gathered at the house and we all walked to the training field as midnight approached.

We'd had dinner together, and hung out for most of the evening, then everyone else had changed into simple tee shirts and shorts they didn't mind losing to a shift. As we walked Xavier and Jordan carried bags with extra tee shirts and shorts for everyone after they changed back into their human forms.

I had my phone with me and it was my task to alert everyone when it was five minutes to midnight. Before we left the house Xavier had double checked I had the alarm set correctly.

I pouted about it, but considering my track record he had a point.

At the field the bags of clothes were set aside and we all sat in a circle with ten minutes to spare.

Leaning back on my hands with my feet tucked under my knees I looked up at the clear night sky. The stars and ascending moon were framed perfectly by the surrounding forest. "It's beautiful."

Apparently I signaled a moment of silence because the murmurs of conversation stopped and everyone was looking up at the night sky.

Then the alarm sounded, startling us back to focusing on the task we'd all set out to do. I turned off the alarm and shoved my phone into my pocket.

"Okay everyone. We have five minutes to settle on our intentions and shift," Xavier announced. He shifted to his hands and knees and gave me a kiss on my temple before closing his eyes and shifting into his wolf.

I reached up and scratched his ears and jowl as I watched everyone else shift into their wolves. Then I closed my eyes and silently begged the goddess to hear us and grant my friends' desires.

After a time, one by one each wolf lifted their head and let out a howl. It was a beautiful song of dedication to the goddess, harmonious and so full of emotion it brought me to tears.

After every wolf had howled, Xavier's wolf nudged me to get my attention and motioned for me to get on his back. Our friend's wolves pranced and yipped, obviously encouraging me. I wiped my cheeks and slowly climbed on his back, unsure what he was about. As soon as I was straddling him he broke into a trot and I was forced to lean forward, tighten my thighs at his flanks and grab fistfuls of his fur to stay on.

Soon he and I were leading our friends through the forest, and I couldn't help the smile on my face, or the laughter bubbling from my chest, my heart soaring with joy for the freeness of it. I glanced up, seeing snatches of the moon and stars between the lacy web of branches we were speeding under.

And all too soon we were back at the training ground where I clambered off Xavier's wolf's back.

My next task was to hand each wolf a tee shirt and pair of shorts. We'd only brought extra large of everything, so I didn't have to think about it, which was nice. Before I handed Xavier his clothes I wrapped my arms around his wolf's neck, whispering, "Best night run ever. Thank you."

His wolf raised a paw to hug me back for a moment before huffing. I let go of his neck and held out the clothes which he gingerly took in his mouth before darting behind a tree.

Everyone left the training grounds for their own homes and beds after changing into their skins and emerging from the trees dressed. They paused to say goodnight to me. Alice, Jordan, Cameron and Gabriel all gave me a hug before leaving. I didn't have to wait long for Xavier to return.

He was carrying the shirt, only having put on the shorts. He held his hand out to me and we went in the house together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

394K 24K 83
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
9.5M 310K 52
"you're all mine; the hair, the lips, the body, it's all mine." highest previous rankings: - #1 in jimin - #1 in pjm - #1 in btsfanfic cover by: @T...
426K 10.8K 60
Lady Florence Huntingdon, daughter of the well-known and more importantly, well-respected Earl and Countess Huntingdon is stepping into the 1813 marr...
125K 4.5K 39
โ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. โž She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...