Why ?

By Adana1007

Carmen has to go and rescue Gray in the Himalayas, but all doesn't go according to plan, leading to her captu... More

Author's note
The failure of an escape
The forced return
Painful rules
The resistance
A bad message
Doubt and escape
The punishment
The Deal
Your one true ennemy
Destroy her hope
End of chapter 10
Interlude: Coach Brunt's lesson
AN
Interlude : Countess Cleo's lesson
An Unexpected Collaboration
Painful memories
A Cornelian Choice
Stifle her last light
Monitoring a sheep
Interlude: high risk dinner
The compassion of an enemy
The last chance plan
Interlude: A normal day
Black Sheep or Carmen ?
Too late ?
A complicated reconstruction
Interlude : A Faculty Caper
Interlude : A Faculty Caper (part 2)
Interlude: Shadows of Sadness
Interlude : A Faculty Caper part 4

Interlude : A Faculty Caper (part 3)

143 2 2
By Adana1007

A/N: I tried a new style of writing by adding more description. Let me know what you think, even though I don't think I'll be doing this very often as this type of writing is difficult for me.

3rd Personn POV

My eyelids were heavy as I felt a vibration on the floor where I stood. As I tried to open my eyes, everything around me remained pitch black. I raised my hands to my face and noticed a blindfold covering my eyes. I hesitated to remove it, but my headache stopped me. I was already hurt enough; there was no need to add more pain.

Feeling my surroundings, I quickly noticed a grille to which the chain connected to my handcuffs seemed to be attached. Warm air brushed against my face as I approached the grille, making my chain clink. I heard a voice coming from in front of me, one belonging to either Boris or Vlad, I couldn't tell.

"She's awake."

"We'll be there soon, there's no point in giving her another dose. Don't touch your blindfold or bandages, Black Sheep."

"Yes, Doctor."

I huddled against the grille, trying to catch a bit of the fresh air in the stifling atmosphere of the car. I could hear various city noises and people talking around me.

After what I estimated to be about ten minutes, the car stopped, and a few seconds later, my blindfold was removed. I put my hands in front of my eyes to shield them, but I was violently pulled out of the vehicle. Boris unlocked the golden bracelet and the chain from my handcuffs, putting them in the canvas bag with my name on it. Vlad draped a cape over my shoulders, fastening it in the front to conceal my scars and handcuffed hands. I followed along as we moved away from the car, taking the opportunity to observe my surroundings.

As soon as my eyes fell on the elegant facade of the hotel in front of me, I was immediately dazzled by its grandeur. The walls of sparkling marble and impressive architecture perfectly reflected the charm and refinement that permeated the place. The well-tended gardens surrounding the entrance exuded a soothing aura of serenity, while the glistening golden domes almost seemed to reach the sky. The double doors opened to reveal a spacious lobby, where a subtle mix of exotic scents and floral perfumes warmly greeted each guest. People dressed in sumptuous suits and shimmering dresses entered and exited, creating an atmosphere of luxury and elegance that pervaded the entire hotel. I didn't feel like I belonged among all these people. My dirty and torn clothes, though hidden under a cape, reminded me of my place while Doctor and the Cleaners were dressed decently.

We approached the reception, but Vlad and Boris stopped me a little before, leaving Doctor to speak with the receptionist. She glanced at me briefly before nodding. The Cleaners pushed me into the elevator before handing me Doctor Bellum's suitcase and the canvas bag. They left, probably to park the car, leaving me alone with Doctor.

The ascent was quick, and when the doors opened again, I found myself in a sumptuous corridor. The plush carpets under my feet seemed to float in the air, and the walls delicately adorned with works of art evoked a feeling of grandeur.

We walked until we reached an imposing carved wooden door. Once opened, my eyes widened in wonder. The room was huge and decorated with refined elegance. Richly carved wooden furniture was carefully arranged, and luxurious fabrics covered the armchairs and sofas. An immense canopy bed stood in the center of the room, almost regal.

I timidly made my way to the balcony, and what I saw took my breath away. Before me stretched a beautiful and infinite landscape. The sparkling waters of the ocean extended as far as the eye could see, and the setting sun cast golden hues on the waves. In the distance, I spotted fishing boats gently swaying on the calm waters. It was like a living painting, so different from anything I had ever seen before.

"Cleo has done too much again. I shouldn't have let her choose my room."

I turn around to see Doctor Bellum standing next to me. She turns her gaze towards me, and I lower my head while kneeling. She takes my hands and removes the handcuffs, placing them in a bag.

"Go put away my belongings and leave yours in a corner where they won't be in the way."

"Yes, Doctor."

I pull Doctor's suitcase to the wardrobe and neatly arrange her few clothes and electronic devices. Turning to my bag, I untie the rope around it and take out the few belongings they allowed me to keep. Looking around, I notice a latch where my chain could be attached.

"Would this be suitable, Doctor ?"

"Perfect."

I place my handcuffs and the golden chain on the floor. Removing my cape, I also place it with other heavier chains, the ones used when I misbehave. Finally, I take off a leather belt, which I place on the desk. As I return to the balcony to receive new orders, someone knocks on the door. I see Doctor Bellum freeze. She gives me a warning look before going to open the door.

She steps forward and opens the door, stepping back to let in a man in his fifties whom I swear I've seen before.

"Saira, it's been a while since I last saw you. How's my favorite niece doing?"

"I'm your only niece, Arun. What are you doing here ?"

"Can't I see my dear niece whom I've missed so much ?"

"Don't mock me. Don't you have business to attend to, a robbery or an assassination ?"

"Fair enough, I can't hide anything from you. What does VILE want here ?"

"Nothing that concerns you."

The man snaps his fingers, and two men in suits enter the room. They each carry a weapon on their belts.

"I've been patient with you, Saira, but I won't tolerate your organization encroaching on my territory."

"We're just passing through. I have a matter to attend to here, and then we'll leave."

"That's good to hear. I wouldn't want any misunderstandings. Gentlemen, wait for me outside."

The two burly men bow slightly and exit, leaving the three of us alone. Doctor's uncle steps forward and sits in one of the armchairs, motioning for her to do the same. I approach the man and ask him gently.

"May I take your coat, Sir ?"

"With pleasure, charming creature."

I remove the man's jacket and go to hang it on the coat rack in the entrance.

"Do you want coffee ?"

"I'd love some."

"Black Sheep, get to work," she says, taking a seat.

"Yes, Doctor."

The man looks me up and down with a smirk.

"So, tell me, Saira. I didn't know VILE was involved in the slave trade. Who is this young and delightful creature ?"

"VILE doesn't engage in that kind of crime. As for her, she's nobody, just a lost little pet who will hurry if she wants to eat tonight."

I quicken my pace under the threat and place two cups on the coffee table. I retrieve the coffee pot and pour the liquid into the cups before asking gently.

"Anything else you'd like, Doctor ?"

"No, that will do. Arun ?"

"I'm good too."

I kneel next to the Doctor's chair and wait patiently. Their conversations continue on various topics for over an hour before the man decides to leave. I clear the cups and return his coat. As he was about to leave, he turns to me.

"Congratulations, Saira. You and your colleagues have tamed this creature well. Wouldn't it be possible for me to borrow her for a night ? Just to get to know her better. I promise I'll return her in one piece, maybe even a bit more obedient..."

His gaze makes me uncomfortable as it lingers on my body. Fearfully, I move closer to the Doctor, silently imploring her to refuse.

"I'm not letting her out of this room without someone I trust completely and unfortunately that's not the case with you. Goodbye." She closes the door and turns to me. "It's Monday, go and clean up while The Cleaners bring in the food."

"Yes, Doctor."

I start towards the door I guess leads to the bathroom when Dr. Bellum stops me again.

"To the tap and cold water. You have five minutes."

"As you wish, Doctor."

I cautiously approach the door that I assume leads to the bathroom, where there is a luxurious bathtub and an enticing shower. But I know I am not allowed to touch them.

The bathroom is spacious and elegant, with walls covered in sparkling white tiles. The sunlight filtering through the window accentuates the pristine cleanliness of the place. I stand in front of the sink, determined to wash myself completely despite the cold water that will flow from it.

I undress slowly, doing my best not to soil anything around me. The cold water gushes from the tap, making me shiver. I take a deep breath and dip my hands into the stream, then pass them over my face, trying to temporarily dispel the pain and sorrow.

Taking care to clean my old, still painful wounds, I wash myself gently, using my fingers like brushes to remove dirt and impurities. The icy water seems to soothe the pain, at least temporarily.

I feel vulnerable in this sumptuous bathroom, a striking contrast. The luxury and opulence surrounding me seem so distant from my condition. Once clean, I quickly dress again and leave the bathroom feeling refreshed.

Exiting, I notice the Cleaners pushing a food cart near the table. The Doctor gestures for them to sit and eat while she takes her seat. Approaching, I place a plate in front of each of them along with a piece of bread. Once everything is set, only a bowl of water and an apple remain on the cart. Taking them, I kneel on the floor next to the Doctor.

"May I eat, Doctor ?"

"Go ahead. You've behaved well."

"Thank you, Doctor."

I eat in silence, and as the Doctor finishes her meal, I remove the plates to place them on the cart in front of the suite. Upon my return, I see her taking out her medical equipment. With a hand gesture, I understand that I should come forward and kneel in front of her. She removes my bandage quickly and examines my head before reapplying the bandage.

"Open your mouth."

I comply, and she places a pill inside. I swallow it silently and tidy up the Doctor's equipment before going to put it back in her cabinet. Turning back, I see her sitting on the balcony, looking at her computer. I join her and kneel beside her seat as the sun sets. She places several screenshots of the Dwarka temple in front of me.

"You and the Cleaners will do some reconnaissance on-site tonight. In my absence, you'll obey them completely. Once there, you must find the exact location of the relic and tell them. You'll come back to spend your night here."

"In your room, Doctor ?"

"Where else do you expect, girl ! They'll chain you up, and you can use the time to rest before tomorrow's mission. Do I need to remind you what will happen if you don't comply with the orders ?"

"No, Doctor. I'll obey the Cleaners just as I obey you."

"Good. Go put on your cape and join them."

"Yes, Doctor."

3rd Person POV

Carmen got to her feet and retrieved her cape before joining the Cleaners who were waiting for her outside the door. They secured her hands in simple handcuffs before pushing her forward. Together, they went out into the corridor and reached the lift. They got off quickly, but before getting out, Vlad pulled the hood up over the girl's head. They walked in silence down the hall until they reached the car park. Carmen was pushed into the back of the car and Vlad started it up.

During the drive, Carmen continued to study the images and plans of the site. A small hatch opened and she was handed a torch, a lock-picking kit and an earpiece.

"You keep a constant link with us. You're not allowed to leave the perimeter of the temple, and you stick to the planned route. One wrong move and we'll take you back to your owner. Is that understood ?"

"Yes, sir.

"Take this satchel, do not open it until we give the word."

"Yes, sir."

Carmen put her hands through the trapdoor, and her handcuffs were removed. She put on the earpiece and retrieved the other two items. The trunk opened, and she stepped out slowly, taking a moment to breathe in the cool night air. She heard a soft sizzle coming from the necklace, a reminder that they could neutralise her at any moment and bring her back.

Refocusing, Carmen took a breath to remember all her lessons. She could only think of one thing: satisfying the Faculty. If she could show that she was useful for something other than domestic service, perhaps she would be entitled to their recognition.

Night shrouded the temple of Dwarka in a mystical veil as Carmen stood discreetly outside. The surrounding streets were deserted, with no pilgrims visiting the sacred sites at this late hour. Only the faint glow of the moon illuminated the surrounding area, revealing the silhouettes of the temple's imposing sculptures and architectural details.

The wind whispered softly, caressing the walls of the thousand-year-old temple. Carmen felt both intimidated and fascinated by the grandeur of the building, whose stone walls seemed to tell stories of ancient times. Her eyes roamed the tops of the towers and domes, while the stars sparkled in the cloudless sky.

A slight shock jolted her out of her reverie. She glanced towards the car and saw the eyes of the two Cleaners on her. She approached the temple door and used the kit to pick the lock. Skilfully slipping inside, she was greeted by a sacred and soothing silence.

The walls of the temple were adorned with detailed sculptures depicting mythological scenes and revered deities. In the moonlight, the stones seemed to come alive, their shadows dancing across the polished floor. Carmen walked slowly, as if she didn't want to disturb the tranquillity that pervaded the place.

At the heart of the temple, she discovered the main sanctuary, where the sacred object of veneration resided. A majestic statue of Lord Krishna, surrounded by offerings and flowers, was lit by a few flickering oil lamps. On the far wall, a crocodile was carved into the rock. She spotted the relic in the crocodile's mouth.

"Don't touch it, Black Sheep. There are sensors that can only be neutralised during the day. Use the scanner in the satchel to map the room and surrounding corridors. You have five minutes before we come for you."

"Yes, sir."

Using the device, Carmen began to scan the walls, sculptures and every nook and cranny of the temple, taking care not to touch or damage anything. The scanner's laser beams scanned the surfaces, capturing every relief, every ornament and every curve with remarkable precision.

"Your time is up, Black Sheep. Are you finished ?"

"Yes, sir."

"Get out. Immediately."

"Coming."

As she was about to leave the temple, her gaze was caught by a dazzling green emerald nestling discreetly on one of the statues. Was it an offering or a decorative element? Carmen couldn't help but be intrigued by this precious stone. She approached to look at it but received an electric shock.

"Hurry up !"

"Yes, sir."

Twenty minutes later

Bellum POV

I was working on the images that Black Sheep had recovered when I heard the door open. Vlad and Boris forced the girl inside and made her kneel down in front of me.

"Mission report."

"The girl behaved throughout, although she took her time getting out of the temple." Vlad replied as the girl trembled.

"What took you so long ?"

"I think... I think I've made a mistake, Doctor. I'm sorry, I only wanted to please you, to show you how grateful I am."

I saw the girl take her hands out from under her cloak and show me a green emerald and the third relic. She held them out to me gently, and I took them without understanding. I had spent two hours during the flight trying to hack into their system, without success. According to the plan, the Cleaners were to put pressure on the head of security to disable everything while Black Sheep retrieved the relic.

"How... How did you do it ?"

"Am I in trouble, Doctor ?"

"Answer !"

"There was an electrical fault in the security. I swapped the crocodile tooth for another stone of the same size and weight. I took the relic as a bonus to make up for not following your plan. I'm... I'm sorry."

I got up to put the two artefacts on the table and at the same time thought about what to do with her. She had disobeyed orders, which in itself was unacceptable, but the results were... impressive. Then an idea came to me.

"Black Sheep, how did it feel to steal the artefact and the precious stone ? With your past, I'd have expected you to find it difficult to steal on our behalf."

"I wanted to please you. I thought this stone would make a good gift to apologise for all the trouble I've caused you."

"Would you be willing to steal for us?"

"You would send me into the field ?"

"Under close supervision, of course. We're not mad enough to send you out into the wild like that. It also means that you should be prepared to get rid of any loose ends."

"You mean I'd have to..."

"Yes, you'll have to kill, Black Sheep. No witnesses are tolerated, especially with you. Do you have a problem with that ?"

"I... I can't, Doctor. I can't kill, it's impossible. Am I going to be punished ?"

"I'll have to think about it. You know very well that we don't tolerate disobedience coming from you. You will spend the night chained outside on the balcony while I decide on the appropriate punishment. Vlad, Boris, her night must be unbearable, understand?"

The Cleaners nodded and went to retrieve the restraints from beside her belongings before leading her outside. I saw them tie her hands to her upper back before chaining her ankle to one of the pillars of the balcony. I nodded, confirming that she should be gagged and blindfolded. I dismissed the two henchmen before retrieving my computer and the relic. I sat down on the terrace to work, ignoring the crying girl in the corner.

After several hours and a little progress, I decided it was time for me to get some sleep. Putting my things away, I glanced at Black Sheep, who was still sobbing in the corner. I retrieved a sleeping pill and positioned myself at her level before lowering her gag. I forced the pill into her mouth and held it shut. She struggled weakly before reluctantly swallowing. I patted her on the head in congratulation before putting her gag back on and entering the suite, closing the glass door leading to the balcony.

3rd Person POV

Late the next morning, Bellum was disturbed in her work by a knock at the door. With the girl still tied up on the balcony in direct sunlight, she motioned for the Cleaners to go and open the door. To her surprise, Cleo entered the room, her suitcase being pushed by a porter.

Once the porter had left and the cleaners had been dismissed for the day, Cleo leaned over and kissed Saira. The two women sat down on the sofa when Cleo noticed something.

"Where's the girl ?"

"Awaiting punishment on the balcony. I don't know what to do with her."

"I need some details here."

"During yesterday's recon, she disobeyed and managed to steal the relic on her own. What's more, she stole an emerald to please us."

Bellum showed the stone, which was as big as a hand, to the Countess. She took it and gazed at it in wonder.

"I didn't intend to punish her at first, even hesitating to send her on other missions for us, but when I wanted to see if she was prepared to kill for us, she refused completely. So I left her chained up on the balcony until I could figure out what to do with her."

"Do you have a better idea of how to punish her for her disobedience ?"

"No, I don't think she deserves to be punished severely for last night. On the other hand, her refusal to kill worries me a little."

"I have a little idea how to punish her without her really noticing."

"I'll trust you then, Cleo."

"Maybe we should bring her in now. I'm not sure with her concussion it's a good idea to leave her out in the Indian sun. Besides, she'd have to make progress on the relic."

Bellum nodded, and the two women went out onto the balcony. Cleo removed Black Sheep's chains and handcuffs before making her stand up and taking her inside. Bellum removed her gag and blindfold before pushing her to her knees.

"Good morning Countess, Doctor."

The two women ignored her, and Bellum handed her a glass of water, which she drank quickly, thirsty.

"You leave tomorrow with the Countess for Egypt. The relic is on the table with all the material you might need to decode the riddle."

"Yes, Doctor."

The two women watched as Carmen sat down in the chair and began to get to work.

"Saira darling, why don't we take a walk into town and relax ?"

"What about the girl ?"

"The collar will warn us if she comes out of the suite, and the Cleaners aren't far away."

After a moment's hesitation, Bellum finally nodded. She took the chain and attached it to Carmen's ankle before securing the other end to a latch.

"You'd better have made progress by the time we get back, and you're not allowed to leave that chair. You're under surveillance."

Bellum pointed to the camera in the corner of the room, and Carmen swallowed nervously.

"Yes, professors."

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the two faculty members leave and lock the door. Sighing, she set to work, not wanting to disappoint them again. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.8K 6.5K 60
In Phi, you don't get a choice. You fight and you kill until it kills you. After running from the only home she'd ever known, Cassie is out to get r...
49.2K 1.2K 44
Life isn't always fair, especially when you're the super thief Carmen San Diego. But this story isn't about her. Well, not really anyway. In Sydney...
2.6K 84 20
Set 2 months after La Femme Rouge. Paper Star, Tigress, El Topo, And Le Chévre have in imprisoned in one of ACME'S most secure underground prisons. S...
1.4K 34 9
In New York you see spider man fighting Green goblin who was big scary but spider man was fighting back so you thought Green Goblin Was use his brute...