Unexpected

By night_fallz

(A Jason Todd x Avengers crossover) It wasn't a secret that Jason isn't the easiest person to get along with... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7:
Chapter 8:
Chapter 9:
Chapter 10:
Chapter 11:
Chapter 13:

Chapter 12:

2.3K 110 19
By night_fallz

(5) Five times Jason surprised the Avengers and one time they surprised him

It wasn't a good day for Jason. It was obvious to everyone in the room.

Especially Wanda.

Even though she's gotten better control of her powers, it was still hard for her to grasp certain concepts. Being able to feel other people's emotions was one of them.

A cold wave of dread washed over her and she couldn't resist the shiver that made its way down her body. Wanda felt concerned glances being sent her way but she ignored them, choosing to shoot her own worried glance at Jason.

It's been months since she's met the vigilante and she could see why everyone got attached to him quickly. It didn't take long for either Wanda or Pietro to see him as their brother.

Which is why she hated seeing him like this. Everyone in the room feels the same way. Problem is, none of them knew how to help.

Suddenly, Wanda's head began to hurt and she felt sweat began to drip down her face. Her eyes blinked erratically. It's not sweat, she realized. It's tears. Before she could say a word, a pained scream let itself out from her throat.

A second barely passed and Pietro was next to her. "Deep breaths," he said, "Do it with me."

Wanda followed her brother's instructions and when she calmed down, she met multiple sets of worried eyes. With a weak smile, she shook her head before gently turning it towards Jason.

While her heart warmed at the concern the Avengers had for her, it was directed toward the wrong person. Jason needed to know that he had a family that cared. They won't force him to talk but a small reminder that he wasn't alone would go a long way. Jason shouldn't have to feel all those emotions by himself. He shouldn't keep it bottled up.

It's not healthy. She watched as Tony approached Jason.

She would know.

Because he was too occupied with his thoughts, Jason didn't notice that Tony was heading towards him until he felt the seat next to him became occupied. He didn't acknowledge the older man, focusing on the movements his hands were doing instead.

If Jason could move them, then it meant that he wasn't tied up in the warehouse. It meant he wasn't with the Joker.

It meant-

He ripped out of his thoughts and Jason was transported back to his memories. He watched as his younger self told his mo- Sheila Haywood. That woman was not his mom- that he was a Robin.

This was weird. This was different.

Instead of reliving his death, Jason was watching it like it was some sort of television show.

He didn't know which was worst.

Jason watched as he carelessly followed the woman into the claimed "empty warehouse". He was so naive.

So desperate.

He watched as the Joker appeared out of the shadows. Mini-Jason's eyes widened and when he turned Sheila, he was met with an uncaring wall of stone as she brought the cigarette to her mouth.

It's been years and Jason's still not over it.

She was supposed to be his mom. She was supposed to care. She was supposed to keep him safe.

She was supposed to love him.

She wasn't supposed to sell him out to a psychotic maniac.

The countdown from the timer haunts him. It echoed through his head and he watched as his younger self throw his body over Sheila like he was some sort of shield.

Some part of Jason still wished that his action had been enough to save her.

The warehouse exploded soon after and Jason was back in the tower.

His breathing was heavier, sweat was beaded on his forehead, and his fists were clenched hard enough for his fingernails to draw blood. The room was spinning and Jason's head ached.

Next to him, Tony was frozen.

What the fuck. What the fuck!

WHAT THE FUCK?

His head was running through a million possibilities. What the hell did Tony just see?

In front of him, the floor was filled with red fog. Steve and Pietro were frozen in shock. Tears were running down Wanda's eyes and she furiously tried to wipe them. Repeated whispers of apologies kept leaving her mouth.

He hadn't seen her this distraught since Ultron.

Okay, okay. Tony took a deep breath. It was real. That was real. Somehow, Wanda brought all of them into Jason's memories. Meaning, Jason went through all of that. Jason was tortured and Jason die-

"Shit!" Tony cursed himself, dragging himself away from his head. "Jason... Jason!" He repeated. The kid was shivering as bad as Steve did whenever he had nightmares about the ice. "Fuck," his eyes scanned the room before zeroing in on an object.

Jason was wrapped in the blanket in less than a few seconds and FRIDAY turned up the heating as the group patiently stayed with Jason. Tony grabbed the kid's right hand, rubbing gentle circles in order to calm himself down.

Jason's here. He thought, Jason's okay. Well- physically. And more importantly, Jason's alive. Tony repeated the thoughts like it was his new mantra.

Pietro was still consoling his sister, assuring her that what happened was an accident and that it wasn't her fault.

Steve agreed but before he could voice his thoughts, Jason groaned. His face clenched up in anguish and every time Steve believed that the kid couldn't surprise him anymore, things like this happens.

Still, even though this wasn't the appropriate time for it, he couldn't help the fond smile that took over his face.

All the pain and anguish that Jason went through.

All that trauma and he still tried his hardest to help the people around him live a better life. Not just as a vigilante but as a civilian as well.

Steve couldn't believe he was lucky enough to meet a kid like Jason Todd.

He remembered all the times he had to force Jason to take a break from his research. The number of times Steve had to assure Jason that what he was doing was more than enough and that it was okay to take a break every once in a while.

Jason's work habits reminded Steve so much of Tony sometimes, it freaked him out.

What freaked him out, even more, were the insecurities the kid had.

He swore that he would make the bastards that made Jason feel that way pay.

As time passed, Jason's mask began to fade away and they all learned more about him and vice versa.

(By all, Steve means everyone but Bucky. Jason had a wonderful talent when it came to evading the Winter Soldier.

Steve asked about it once and when Jason explained, he couldn't stop laughing.

Steve couldn't help it! The two of them were complete idiots.

He told himself that he'll give the two vigilantes a few more months of playing hide and seek before he forcefully introduced them to each other.

Steve could only take so much of Bucky's puppy dog eyes.)

Anyways, Jason's snarky personality didn't take long to come out and if Tony wasn't obsessed with adopting him before, he definitely was now. Steve was surprised that the paperwork wasn't officialized yet.

He wondered what was taking Tony and Clint so long. Because, even though they fight over who gets to adopt who, everyone knows that the two of them co-parented the kids.

Jason's hand twitched as his face twisted into even more pain. Wanda wrapped her arms around her knees, no doubt feeling what Jason did.

Steve's mind flashed back to the scene he saw earlier.

"What hurts more? Forehand? Or backhand? Forehand? Or backhand?" The words engraved themselves into his head and Steve tightened his fists in anger.

That clown better be dead because if he isn't and Steve gets his hands on him-

Let's just say that the clown would wish he was with HYDRA instead.

- - -

Sorry for the two-month late update.

I didn't know how this chapter was going to go so I let it write itself as long as the goal of "the Avengers find out Jason died" was accomplished. But I'm surprised that this is the route my mind decided to take.

I didn't expect to use Wanda's powers in that way. It just happened. Hell, I don't even know if Wanda could even do that. But my fanfic, my rules. Soooo...

I wanted to write Jason's reaction to this thing but I didn't know how so I'd probably write it in another installment or hint at the aftermath in the next chapter. I don't know yet.

What I do know is that Jason will not blame Wanda whatsoever. And I have a feeling that they'll talk and bond and maybe Wanda will find out about certain abilities Jason has.

We'll see.

Also, I wrote this while sleep deprived (but honestly when do I not write chapters while sleep deprived) so if it doesn't flow or if it has any grammatical errors, I'm going to blame it on that.

As always, leave comments. We all know I love reading them. This chapter definitely deviated from whatever I originally thought it would be so please let me know your thoughts!

See y'all in the next chapter! It shouldn't take me two months this time. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

243K 8K 57
❝cause we're all just kids who grew up way too fast, yeah the good die young, but the great will always last,❞ jason todd [dc com...
79.9K 2.3K 48
An Original Jason Todd Interracial Love Story.
62.1K 3K 34
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ summary: Katie Mahone is a ball of energy and a people person. She is always on the move and may seem like she is disorganized...
75K 1.7K 28
FIRST THEY HATED EACH OTHER THEN THEY WERE THE BEST OF FRIENDS AND LASTLY THEY WERE LOVERS Damia Matthews and Jason Todd both had a rocky start when...