Counter Lotus

By JadedViolet

Josephine Hale moved across the country to live with her older sister in Oregon. She has a new sense of freed... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 27

39 4 2
By JadedViolet

Chapter 27

What the fuck was happening?! What did they want? What did they want with him? Of the three people, it was the woman with natural red hair and freckles that pulled Jamie out by the front of his shirt. Her slim figure and arms offered no evidence of upper-body strength, but she clearly possessed it! Fuck! She easily forced him to his knees. The other woman stepped behind him, pulled his arms back, and began binding his wrists with thick rope!

"Jamie!" I scrambled into the driver's seat.

"Everything is fine," he said, eyes flashing in warning at me.

"No—"

"Jos!" He hissed more sternly. "Don't move. Everything is fine."

Kneeling in the driver's seat, I just wanted to jump out of this truck. I didn't care how scared I was. I wanted to do something! But that look, that sternness, made me freeze. As if it was imperative for me to listen and allow this to happen. Yes, allow was the proper word here.

Watching in horror, I was stunned at Jamie. For some fucking reason, he was letting this happen. He just knelt there! He wasn't fighting back, struggling, defending himself, anything. It was like he knew his place – as did the others – and his firm eyes tried putting me in my place too.

Standing by idly, the man and red-headed woman took note of me. "Ooh. Jamie's got a new friend," the man said, clicking his tongue.

"Look at those colors," said the younger woman tying his wrists, eyes tracing me.

"Bet she's causing a stir around here," he smirked.

The woman with red hair didn't comment. She looked me over critically for a long moment, as if assessing my value. Trust me, I was assessing the shit out of them too, but more out of panic. The three of them were all unnaturally tall. They were all obviously strong enough for Jamie to not bother fighting. From their words, they also must be able to sense me or see my aura.

Oh god. I was frozen, horrified, confused, and now even more scared. With no other context, my first guess was they were demons. They had to be, right? However, they didn't seem to have much interest in me. Well, not enough interest to want me dead like the other demons. They were more focused on Jamie.

The man grabbed a pillowcase, and pulled it over Jamie's head. It caused him to let out a sharp sigh. "Jos, don't worry, don't freak out, I—"

The red-head walked up and hooked her fist nonchalantly into his face. "Shut up."

Jamie stifled a groan, but a spot of blood seeped through the fabric. Yes, blood. Her simple movement had that much of an impact! My stomach curled. This was not good. What could I do? How can I stop this from happening?! I didn't know what was going on, I had zero context, so how the fuck was I suppose to judge something so crazy – and apparently what was not crazy to all of them?! Truly, it was such an unnatural sight. None of them, including Jamie, were acting like this was a huge deal!

The two of them climbed back into the truck, leaving the third to tend to him. The woman tightened the pillowcase, used it to haul Jamie to his feet, and steered him towards the open truck door. Fuck, they were going to take him!

"No," I shouted, jumping out and grabbing Jamie's arm. "No! Let him go!"

The younger brunette woman ripped Jamie away from my grasp. Then— Ahh! Fuck! God, that fucking hurt! My face felt whipped! A sting ran erupted against my cheek, triggering a painful pulse through my skull. It happened so fast! I didn't even realize what happened until I stumbled far back with a yelp. This bitch just backhanded me!

Ugh, that really hurt – like really fucking hurt. Maybe I was being a wuss since I've never been struck before, but that did not feel like natural human strength. The power behind her hand would have sent me to the ground if Jamie's truck hadn't caught me. I fought through the pain, but it was too late. The truck doors slammed shut by the time my vision focused, and the vehicle skidded off!

Fuck no! They took him! I didn't care anymore about anything, didn't care why he let it happen! I didn't care if they were demons. Blinking, I hopped into Jamie's truck, started the engine, and floored it. No thought, no second guesses. Just instinct. How was I going to help? What could I even do? No idea, but I wouldn't be able to anything if I don't tail them!

Which was damn difficult.

If Peter thought I was a crazy driver, he would be downright shocked at these assholes! They went from probably 20 to 80 mph out of the parking lot. In a fucking 35 and with traffic! Yeah, not a good start for me!

They were a small dot to me for the first few miles. Heart pounding, I had to narrowly pass cars, go well over the speed limit, just to keep them barely in sight. I was on the edge of the far-back seat thanks to Jamie's height; I couldn't spare any focus to adjust everything. Oh my god, don't merge over, don't fucking merge into me, you stupid gray car! Ugh, fuck! Go the speed limit, SUV! I'm not stopping! Racing to keep them in squinted sight, I scowled, groaned, and cringed at the swerves I forced myself to make. I couldn't even call Peter. I was going too fast, and my phone was out of reach. All because that bitch break-checked me and caused it to fall to the floor.

After passing that congested area, that dot slowly grew into the fuzzy shape of a truck. Thank god. I was able to catch up... but I'll tell you one thing: I was damn cautious. I stayed back, adjusted the seat and mirrors, and tried not freaking out How much longer? It's been only 20 minutes, but it felt like I was following them for over an hour.

Finally, they turned onto a road blocked by forest. I realized it was a windy and ritzy private drive. At least they were somewhere ahead of me – with seemingly no other exit. Driving slowly, I took in the tunnel of uniformed trees. They bordered the road with pristine grass between each of them. Where the hell were they going? Where was this taking me? The trees and narrow blacktop curved uphill and plateaued... to quite the sight.

Beyond a high black metal gate were two huge condo complexes. They had to be at least 10 stories each. Parking must be in the back – and must be a bitch too. The buildings seemed on top of each other, but holy fuck, was this place classy! The structures, the privacy, the thick perimeter of hedges and maintained tight trees, the lit-up fountains in the landscaping... I mean come on. It screamed priss. Bottom line: if I die tonight, at least it's somewhere in style. Preferably in one of those massive fountains. That would be a sweet way to go out.

There was a code to the gate, so I couldn't drive in. I didn't see that red truck anywhere past this fence, but it must have entered. Otherwise, it would be sitting out here with nowhere to go. So, I pulled off to the side and parked off near the trees. The minute it was in park, I strained over to console and finally snagged my phone. And what happens when I try to call Peter?

"Stop," I groaned in annoyance. No signal. I tried over and over. No signal. I got out, quietly moved around, and still nothing. Fuck it, I didn't have time for this! I was too antsy and needed to get inside.

I eyed the length of the gate and where it extended into the thick trees on each side of it too. I couldn't see if there was a way around. Plus, the set sun and darkening sky made it harder to see. How do I get in? I would have to find some way. And then do what, smarty? Use your bare hands to save him? Fight them off? I pushed aside my logical self-scolding. I would figure something out. I just needed to do something.

I followed the length of the gate into the woods... until the fencing finally ended in dense brush. Moving around it to the other side, I wrestled through the thick nature. Did I trip and fall in the dirt a few times? Did a few dead leaves stick in my hair? Absolutely. But I plowed my way through – and walked around a thick hedge – until I stepped onto the manicured lawn left of the buildings. My eyes darted all over. From here, I could partially see a parking lot behind the condos. I took a deep breath and checked my surroundings. No demons, or security, noticed me yet.

Running along the edge of the lawn, my shoes pounded against the pretty grass. I dodged a few trimmed trees, a few brick walk-ways surrounding small fountains, and a sitting area too. All while scanning the buildings and sparse vehicles on my right. Before I spotted the truck, I spotted something better.

Gasping, I skidded to a stop. Jamie and his three abductors walked towards the building. Being in the grass and several yards away, I couldn't see them well, but it was clear he wasn't restrained anymore. He was completely free. They headed inside the grand automatic-doors and bright entrance. Again, without being forced, or even intimated. They all seemed relaxed. There was definitely a reason and it made me question coming here.

Made someone else do the same thing. Literally.

"What are you doing here?"

I yelped in surprise, spinning around fearfully. I was immediately relieved. It was Peter. "Oh my god, thank god you're here." And here by flight since the man was shirtless. Meaning once again I missed seeing him fly. I would voice this complaint though another time.

"What are you doing here?" he asked rigidly again, looking past me towards the entrance.

"Jamie was taken! He just went into that building. I followed them, Peter, you need to get him out of there! These people fucking kidnapped him in front of me!"

Grabbing my arm, he backed us away towards the trees. "You decided to be stupid again."

"Did you hear me?" I hissed up into his face, trying to pull away. "Your son was taken and he's in that building! Don't you care?"

"Don't you think?"

He didn't listen and swiftly dragged me back into the shadows of a few squarely-sculpted hedges. I tried struggling, but nothing helped – and I stopped struggling all together when both of us saw something we didn't expect.

Before Peter could get me out of there, the front doors opened again. It was Jamie. He was leaving. Except, he wasn't alone.

He was violently escorting someone. With a pained expression, Jamie was gripping the man's forearm and striding towards the shadows. The man fought against his hold without any success. I could faintly hear his muffled panic behind the cloth tied around his mouth. What the hell was going on?! Earlier, Jamie was restrained and taken. Now, he was acting like his abductors, doing the same thing to this random guy!

Wanting to remain unnoticed, Peter elected to freeze and pull me closer to him into the shadows. I understood why too. After Jamie dragged the man behind the condo complex, the automatic doors opened again. The younger girl from earlier dragged someone else out, and while they also struggled, she more violently took control. She gripped the gagged person's neck and hair, driving the whimpering woman into the shadows too.

My breath was hard, chest growing heavy. This was worse than Jamie getting abducted! Far worse! Oh my god, seeing two defenseless people being taken, being controlled, and one of them by Jamie... it was sickening. Especially hearing their stifled cries and watching them struggle. It was awful! I had no idea why this was happening, but nobody deserved this! Nobody! This was terrible! How would I ever be able to let this go? Forget something so disturbing? Then, the man of the group walked out next, this time with an elderly man in tow by his frail arm! Oh my god, and he was dragging the poor guy, making him stumble--!

A quick hand sharply tilted my face over and up. Despite the shadows, I could see Peter's eyes. "Stop looking," he whispered firmly, inches from my face.

My heart was pounding in horror of what was happening to that old man. Of the thought of what else could happen to him! All I wanted to do was run over and help, but I swallowed and stayed focused on those deep brown eyes. Peter must have been able to see my internal pain. I noted just how close he pulled me into him – and his soft scent of sage and mint. It was embarrassingly enticing.

Then, I heard a loud shout and devastating cry reach the air! Fuck! I gasped, jumped, and instinctively glanced towards the distant sound. Peter cupped my face with both hands now, forcing my gaze to stay firmly locked on his from where we stood in the shadows. Brows dipped, he offered a stern but calm gaze, asking the same from mine. How though? This was a nightmare! Peter didn't seem shocked either, which added more fucked up layers to this!

How could Jamie have been part of this?! How could he help abduct three men from their homes like this?! How could he go from a victim to a kidnapping monster?! And helping the people that kidnapped him? Clearly, everyone had those answers except me. While it was disturbing, I did take peace in those calm brown eyes. I took peace in how evenly his bare chest moved. It reassured me that it was okay to do the same. I didn't know anything. Maybe it wasn't as bad as it seemed. At least I'm safe with him.

Standing in the shadowing hedges, he forced our eyes to stay connected for a long moment. Then, he glanced to my left towards the condos. With nobody in sight, no sounds except for the clattering water of the near-by fountain, he dropped his hands.

"Josephine. These are dangerous people," he whispered. "What is wrong with you?"

"What is wrong with you?! Your son was kidnapped by demons! And he just helped them kidnap a bunch of other people!" I hissed up to him, stepping back.

"They're not demons."

"That makes everything okay?" I exclaimed. "You stood there and did nothing!

Something caught his attention. He looked past me, exhaling in annoyance.

Glancing to my left, my heart jumped. Of the three people that abducted Jamie, I saw all but one up to this point: the red-headed woman. Now, here she was, suddenly walking towards us.

Peter whispered under his breath. "Not a single word. Stay by my side." Then, he nonchalantly stepped out of the shadows, hooking his thumbs on his pockets. While he acted relaxed, he seemed tense when I quickly came to stand beside him on the manicured lawn.

The tall red-head marched confidently towards us. "It's been a while, Peter."

"Not long enough."

Standing a few feet away, she amusingly glanced between us. "Do you have an explanation for why this little girl's followed us? Or, more importantly, why you fell from the sky to intervene?"

"Tessa, I'm just here to get her off your tail. She doesn't know any better."

"I'm more curious if you know better," she said, skepticism lining her voice. "She doesn't seem surprised or scared right now."

"She's probably in shock after you abducted her friend in front of her."

Hearing them speak of me instead of to me was pissing me off. "Why did you take Jamie?" I demanded.

Peter gave me a death glare for speaking. Well you know what? Fuck him. I was over being controlled, unable to do anything, so he better believe I am at least going to speak up and speak for myself!

She looked me over in curiosity. "He's ours. For whenever we need him."

Peter snorted. "Or until your seven-day limit is up."

She ignored him, keeping her attention on me. "You ought to think before chasing after things you don't understand, kid. Unless you know more than you should...?"

Despite my frustration, despite her surprise at my lack of fear, I truly was scared. Her words didn't help. According to Peter, I shouldn't know anything about this supernatural stuff. I guess it was the law to keep people hidden from it. But this bitch was almost hinting that I knew way more than I should.

Thankfully, he was more than happy keeping her in the dark. "She doesn't. She doesn't know shit, she's is an innocent nobody."

"So, she never witnessed anything before today?"

"Correct," he rolled his eyes.

Full lips spreading in humor, she glanced away. "Well, with your record, I still feel inclined to remind you to wipe her memory of today. I would hate to see you make the same mistake twice...."

"What are you implying, Tessa?" he pushed.

"You know what I'm implying." Turning to walk away, her critical eyes darted over to me. "Don't think I didn't notice some of her colors, Peter."

Colors? Whatever that meant to him, it pinched a nerve. "Always pining after drama. I forgot how pathetic and delusional you are," he sneered.

As the tall woman walked towards the condos, the familiar truck pulled from around back and waited until she got in. All I could do was stare... as it exited the ritzy grounds through the gate. Jamie was in there. Were those people crammed in there somehow? If not, what did they do with them? The thought planted a sickening seed in my gut.

Why did any of that happen? Why couldn't Peter help or do anything? My lack of context kept me from cussing him out. Instead, I numbly wandered towards the glowing fountain across the lawn. Crashing water lit from lights, I sat down on the bricks surrounding it, confused, stunned, and disgusted.

After a moment, Peter followed. I couldn't look at him, and I didn't want to. That was inevitable though. He stepped closer and tilted my face up and to the side.

I immediately slapped his hand away. "What are you doing?"

"You're hurt."

"What?"

"Your cheek has a huge mark and it's starting to bruise by your ear."

I gawked up to him. "Yeah, I was slapped by what felt like the world's strongest hand, but that's the last thing I'm worried about!"

The glow from the grand fountain allowed me to see he had retrieved his shirt; his tattooed and toned chest was covered by an active-wear tee. "You need to stop worrying then. Jamie will be fine, alright?" He spoke more somberly. "There was nothing I could do."

"What about those people? Did they take those people with them?"

"Yes," he said quietly. "Yeah, they took those people."

"Why? What did they do wrong?"

"I don't know, but there are reasons. It's... it's business."

"Business? That was cruel!"

"Business doesn't have to be civil."

"Well, you can't just let that happen! Can't we do something? We just watched something horrible happen! Your son was taken. Those people were dragged from their homes! I thought you stood for goodness and humanity! So why didn't you step in? If they weren't demons, you could have kicked their asses! You—"

"There was nothing I could do!" he repeated, more firmly, but more distressed.

Those chocolate brown eyes reflected a pain he usually hid. Seeing it made me dial back my anger. For how little he seemingly helped or cared, I was able to realize there was a reason – and that reason was not easy for him. But why couldn't he do anything about this?

It made me remember a dark detail in Jamie's life. A detail beneath his bright personality... that had no choice and no power. "Those were the people he is mixed up with, wasn't it? After Jamie disappeared for a few days... he told me he was paying a debt off to a group of people. Dangerous people. That's what all this was tonight, right?"

"Yes," he said in a tired voice. "Yes, that's what this was. I'm sorry you had to see it."

I didn't connect the dots until now. Last time, we made plans to hang out when he just... disappeared. Days later, he returned a broken mess, barging into an awkward dinner between Peter and I. He was crying and begging for Peter to make him forget. All because... he had been taken by these people before and forced to do whatever they wanted. Still, I didn't realize he was always hauled away like that. He definitely downplayed it before.

That chat I had with Jamie felt like so long ago. Maybe just because it was before I knew the extent of everything and this crazy new side of life. Famine mentioned Jamie had beat an innocent man, so... I flat out asked Jamie if he did. If that was why he was so torn up. He said he didn't, or rather, said he hoped not. Then, he explained he was involved with a dangerous group of people. That he had shitty luck and was in their debt, owing them his time and service whenever they needed it. He was openly embarrassed and ashamed over this dark secret, but was vague about any other details. It was clearly extremely personal – and something both of them were sensitive about.

Regardless of how touchy of a subject this was... I needed more of the story. "Look, I get I know very little. But goddamn, how do you reason letting that happen?" I asked, rubbing my palms anxiously along my thighs. "I think it's pathetic that you both let this happen. Both of you have said nothing can be done about this."

"You have zero context. It's part of a deal and we can't change it. Pretty simple."

"I don't understand."

"Clearly. Yet you still feel justified to judge us for not putting up a fight."

"Then tell me why you aren't!" I said louder.

Shifting his weight, he sighed. "It's a long story."

Why was this a fucking pattern?! Ugh! No, fuck this, I was over it. "Now I really feel like judging you. You give me shit for not knowing anything, but you refuse to fill me in! What? Too much of an inconvenience to share like always?" I stood and moved past him. "Fuck you, I'm so done right now. I don't deserve your bullshit, or—"

"Listen, just," he started, catching my arm before I could storm off. The light under the clattering water showed his reluctance. "It's not just a long story. It's... something I don't like talking about." His eyes avoided mine, as if embarrassed.

I didn't expect him to admit that, and it disarmed my attitude. "I understand. I really do. But you're going to have to give me something. Can you at least tell me what that lady was talking about?" I asked in a sympathetic voice. "It seemed like she was... warning you. You clearly know each other."

"I don't like talking about that either."

I scoffed. "I don't like getting peanuts pelted at me. I don't like how much you piss me off, I don't like being hunted by demons, and I don't like seeing my friend get kidnapped without an explanation."

He glanced at his watch. "Are you ready to let me heal your face now?"

"No! Why even bother healing my face?" I snapped. "You don't care. I'm still breathing, and that's all your job requires."

"Would you shut up?" he grumbled, cupping my swollen cheek. "God. I'm not as heartless as you are annoying, you know."

I wanted to be stubborn, but the side of my face still hurt. Like I said, that was not a human slap – and the fact that it still stung like a bitch proved it. Not to mention, I couldn't help but selfishly take in being this close to him. Why? Great question. I couldn't explain myself, but even though I was irritated, I soaked in his details. I took in his fair-skin, his square jaw, the wiry stubble that was a shade darker than his arching dirty blonde locks. It weirdly dissolved my frustrations.

His eyes focused on my cheek had their own story. The fountain's glow showed those dark brown irises, the depth beyond those flecks, the sorrow he buried... it helped me realize the gravity of this situation. Helped me realize just how painful Jamie's shameful arrangement was for him. And while I had some context... I probably didn't have a right to know the rest.

He must have felt my eyes on his. As his palm absorbed my stinging pain with a warm tingle, his gaze flicked to mine – and stayed locked in mine. I wasn't sure what he saw in that long moment... but it made his walls crumble. He was contemplating, debating something. Hand falling from my healed cheek, he pursed his lips. I could see this wasn't easy for him. I could see he was tempted to open up... but just didn't know how or if it was worth it.

"Robert? Robert?!" screamed a strained and panicked voice.

Whipping our heads towards the sound, a woman came running out of the building. She was yelling for help, looking around frantically. That's all it took... for Peter to sprint towards the crying woman. Oh god. Whoever this was probably witnessed what happened. She was calling after someone. Fuck. Did she one of those people get ripped from their home?

I quickly followed and caught up just as he grabbed the woman's shoulders. "Ma'am, it's alright," he reassured her, wide eyes finding hers. "Shhh. It's alright, it's—"

"You need to help me!" she said frantically, looking between both of us as we faced her on the sidewalk. The surrounding lights from the building showed she was in her 50s – and was a scared and terrified mess. "Please, please, I watched my neighbor get dragged out of his home. Did you see anything?"

"No, not a thing."

Her shoulders dropped in defeat. "I can't believe this! We have to look for him, or something. Did you see anyone leave the gate?"

"Ma'am it's going to be okay. I'll help you, we'll figure this out. Now, did anyone else see this happen?" he asked her gently.

"No! It was just me!"

"Did you call the police?"

She nodded. "They are on their way. I was so shook up, I just told them to get here and get here now. I... I just can't believe what I saw." Swallowing, she eyed her surroundings, stepping away to look fully around. "I just don't understand, they couldn't have taken him far! You didn't see anything?!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't see anything," Peter repeated.

"Robert is such a sweet man. How could anyone have done this? I heard struggling; I heard some shouting. When I looked into the hall, he was being dragged out! Those awful people must have wanted his money, maybe they robbed him, but I just don't know. I really don't know why they took him, but who could do such a thing?!" she said in a shaky voice. "It's so horrible!"

Peter made a point to look her straight in the eyes. Then, he took her hands swiftly at once in his. The moment he did, she let out a soft gasp. Her eyes seemed to become numb and hollow. Like she was in a daze, one seemingly controlled by Peter's fixed eyes.

He continued standing there, holding her hands, and staring deeply into her eyes. Sounds like a sweet moment between an asshole and a hysterical woman, doesn't it? No, there was plenty happening in this still moment of time. She seemed almost in a trace, one Peter was focused fully on. What in the world...? Was he reading her? Or messing with her memory?

Then, the next thing I knew, he slowly dropped her hands. But those eyes... stayed on hers as he stepped back. She suddenly snapped out of that dazed state, but while her awareness returned, Peter's gaze stayed intensely focused. Clearly, he still seemed to have some kind of hold on her.

Blinking, the woman glanced around in confusion. "What...?"

"Ma'am, like I said... I am incredibly sorry for all this," Peter said in soft voice, eyes still stuck in hers. "We apologize for the shouting – and for not being more aware of our volume. We just got caught up in an argument and didn't realize how much of a disturbance it was. I just really wished you hadn't called the police on us. We had no idea how loud we were; we are just both under a lot of stress," he said in a sympathetic voice.

Frozen, I looked between them. He did mess with her memory!

There was more to it though. It was as if those words planted a seed in her head. She was here, conscious, present, and out of that trance... but that fake story coaxed her to believe his words. Because watching her reaction after Peter's bullshit story... I was startled to see any confusion on her face disappear.

"I... I am so sorry for calling the police. I don't know what got in me," she said, mostly to herself. "I can't believe I called the police on you two. I don't usually get that upset, to the point where I would bother them over a noise complaint."

The memory trick faded into the automatic charisma he displayed. How? I have no idea. I could not understand how he was convincing her of this bullshit story. But that sweet and sympathetic show he was performing... made the rest of this flow easily.

"Well, we were shouting pretty loud at each other," Peter said shamefully, looking between myself and the woman. "She knows how to piss me off like it's nobody's business. And when one of us starts yelling, the other one starts shouting. It's just been a rough time for the two of us. That's really no excuse though for our behavior and lack of awareness of our surroundings, so I understand why you called the police. I would have too if my evening was interrupted by a shouting match outside the building."

Thanks to his charm and sorrow, she mirrored it. "I still shouldn't have been so irrational. I usually don't bother the police over something so small. And I understand; you're a cute couple just going through a rough patch and didn't mean to be disruptive. Tell you what, I will call the police back, tell them to never mind and not come," she said.

"Really?" Peter asked with 'so much relief.' "That would be great if you could."

"I will do that the moment I get back upstairs. You folks just learn to get along better – and maybe argue in private instead of shouting next to a packed condo."

"Absolutely. Again, we are very sorry."

With that, the woman offered us a curt goodnight. She headed back into the building, content with this resolution. Content with telling the cops not to come. Why should they? There was no reason to bother the police over a screaming match – and not because she watched her neighbor get dragged from his home. Truly, it stunned me that he could just... change someone's memory like that and plant a fake one!

I never saw this ability in action before, the one that I was immune to. Peter said it was truly a shame that I couldn't be affected by his ability to take away memory. He looked at this power as a gift to others... and while I still disagreed, I understood. I understood, despite just how wrong that felt to witness.

"You made her forget. Then you filled her head with something that didn't happen," I whispered.

"It saved her a lot of trouble – and she no longer witnessed something traumatic. She can go to sleep feeling safe."

"And what happens when she learns her neighbor was fucking kidnapped?"

"She will be as surprised as everyone else. It's not her place, not her problem, and never was to begin with."

Facing each other on the sidewalk, we watched a happy couple exit the building towards the back lot. It made me feel out of place here under the condo lights. We didn't need to be overheard (like we apparently were in his fake story). So, we walked back through the lawn, mindlessly towards the fountain where there was more privacy. Can you imagine overhearing our little chat about erasing memories? It would honestly be pretty funny to see what kind of looks we would receive.

After what I just witnessed though, I was more disturbed. I didn't know what to think about what just happened. I felt... gross inside. I had very few answers already, and now, I just watched a woman get her memory altered.

"So you made her forget what she saw... then talked her into a fake story?" I asked.

"Well, I could have left a void there, of her remembering nothing... but that would have been alarming to her. It's good practice to plant something else in its place – like us getting into a yelling match."

"Well, it was definitely a believable lie," I mumbled. "I could yell and scream at your right now if you want to make it real."

"Thanks, but I will pass."

"That just...." I shook my head, eyes on the grass and the brick fountain we reached again. "That felt insanely wrong."

"It's not."

"It was! It was so wrong! It was like you were helping them get away with kidnapping those people!"

"I was covering up a sloppy mistake they made – which could have bit Jamie in the ass too since he was forcibly involved. I was also doing that poor woman a favor."

Pausing, I spun towards him. "Yet, you won't lift a finger for the people that were ripped from their homes?"

Then, my anger diffused. I didn't need to hear how it was business, how they weren't innocent people, how he couldn't do anything. That moment... those walls fell again and I could see how much it killed him, to not do anything. Aggravation and guilt seeped through. The reins he always held so tightly on his emotions... were becoming slack.

"I can't lift a finger. I told you. I... I can't do a fucking thing!" he said in a strained voice, facing me with a troubled expression. "You don't think I want to stop what happened? That's my kid, I would do fucking anything for him, but it's like I said, what happened tonight is out of my hands."

I studied him for a moment. "I believe you. I just don't understand. If it's that difficult to talk about... I guess I can at least understand that."

"I keep you in the dark – for your own good, but for mine as well. I don't need to share these things with you."

"Why?"

"It's risky."

"Because the more I know, the more you can't erase from my memory?"

That look from earlier returned. The one that showed he was tempted to open up, but there was so much hesitation. He didn't elaborate what was so risky... but he decided it would be worth it. Because the next moment... he finally let me peak inside this forbidden subject.

Catching my eyes, he spoke quietly. "Jamie is paying off his mother's debt."

I swallowed. My brows raised. Was he finally going to tell me? I could only narrow my focus and hope. This was rare and dangerous territory. It was like dancing of fragile glass. Neither of them spoke much about their past or this absent woman. Peter especially didn't like speaking of his wife. So, I needed to tread light and respectfully.

"And Jamie's mother... is your wife. He's paying off your wife's debt?"

His voice turned into a hallow whisper. "Yes. Yes, my wife's debt."

Then... it hit me. The old pieces and the new ones were coming together. Just before Jamie was abducted... he shared some ironic details about his mother. He said... his mother sold her soul to save his. That's what he said just before he was taken. Was that what this was about? Was this all connected?

I was almost sure I knew the answer, but I wouldn't make assumptions. "What did she owe these people?" I asked in a gentle and measured voice.

This was testing his resolve. His eyes stayed unflinching in mine, but his voice had a hard time finding that same strength. "Her soul. She sold her soul to Hell." He paused for a long and trying second. "Jamie was born with a damned soul. She sold her soul... in order to save our son's."

Though I already heard this from Jamie, Peter's confirming words stunned me. How mind-bending was that? This dark arrangement I witnessed tonight... was connected to their complicated past and their souls. This was next level shit folks.

I waited for Peter to elaborate, but it was difficult. This subject didn't grace his lips often. He started getting restless, shifting, and rubbing the back of his neck. He looked away in annoyance. Probably because this forced him to deal with shut-away emotions. He wouldn't meet my eyes either for a moment. Almost forcefully too.

I had to believe talking about this was a good thing for him though. It didn't matter how tough he was, that he was a divine fallen angel. His emotions were real, weather he wanted them to be or not. If only I could make this restless man feel more comfortable about opening up.

That's why my next words were more for his sake than mine. "Why don't we walk the grounds here for a bit? The fountain is a little loud and the lights—"

"That would be perfect," he said immediately, marching towards the brick pathway that branched from the fountain.

Smiling to myself, I caught up to his brisk pace. That little suggestion was what he needed and all I needed to give him. It's what relaxed him enough to continue this 'long story' he originally refused to share. 

___________________________
__________________________________
Sorry if this one seems a little more messy. I have been taking forever on this one and changing it. Hope you liked it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 1.1K 63
ONC 2023 Shortlist @YARomance Undiscovered Book of the Month (January 2024) Featured on Wattpad's HighFantasy, StoriesUndiscovered (May 2023), Dange...
83.1K 9.6K 77
A pair of siblings on a dangerous journey. A vicious spirit quickly drawing near. A bedtime story filled with peril and magic, loss and self discover...
6.1K 1.1K 52
Being in an ecstatic world of our own seems amazing, right! Rather than living in a world full of harsh disheartening reality, it would be much fasc...
34.5K 4K 48
Secrets can be Powerful. ...But they can also be Deadly. Unable to weld magic dooms Julia to a life of servitude and drudgery. Desperate to break fre...