Falling for the Popular Girl

By 9forgotten

*** I wrote this when I was like..14/15 and personally don't think it's one of the better works I've done bu... More

Chapter 1- School Project
Chapter 2- Soccer Game
Chapter 3- Game Time!
Chapter 4- Horses
Chapter 6- Meeting Jessica's Parents
Chapter 7- Dinner and a random horror movie
Chapter 8- Confessions?
Chapter 9- The Mall
Chapters 10&11
Chapter 12- The Sunset
Chapter 13- Could it really be love?
Chapter 14- Playing Games
Chapter 15- Heading home
Chapter 16- Welcome to Hell
Chapter 17- Meeting Eve
Chapter 18- A visit to the past
Chapter 19- Queen of Poisons
Chapter 20- It's Time To Change
Chapter 21- RIde in the Woods
Chapter 22- Midnight and the stranger
Chapter 23- Back to school
Chapter 24- Library/Book Store Encounter
Chapter 25- Lost Child
Chapter 26- Thunderstorm Terrors
Chapter 27- Back to School and Threats
Chapter 28- Mistakes Made
Chapter 29- Regrets?
Chapter 30- In trouble now
Chapter 31- Gone
Chapter 32- Coming to Conclusions
Chapter 33- A new puzzle
Chapter 34- Second chances
Chapter 35- What now?
Chapter 36- The dreaded visit part 1
Chapter 37- The dreaded visit part 2
Chapter 38- The work office
Chapter 39- From me to You
Epilogue Chapter 1 - Where's the good in Goodbye?
Epilogue Chapter 2- Facing the World Together
Author Notes

Chapter 5- The forest

90.9K 2.3K 534
By 9forgotten

*EDITED*

------------------------------------------------------------

Kaylee's POV

Nothing sounds after Jessica stomps off and I make no move to follow her. I just lay there for a few Moments, trying to figure that girl out. Once Moment she's totally nice and fine and the next she's acting like some prissy bitch. Sighing, i shoved that issue for later and got up to chase down the runner.

Finding her was easy and I just wandered around behind her, far enough so she couldn't hear me. My eyes and ears were on high alert as we walked, listening for things that could either be harmful or helpful. Nothing really sounded, just the footsteps of Jessica and the quiet ones of mine that trailed behind her.

I laughed in my head as I thought about this situation. For almost three years, it'd been like this. just trailing behind and in the shadows of this amazing girl. Never being noticed, never being herd. Oh how this was horribly ironic.

She stops finally, bending over to look at something on the ground. Frowning, I wondered what the heck she was looking at and stepped forward slightly to peer around her curiously. Peaking over her shoulder, I caught a glimpse at what she was looking at. My eyes widened as I instantly recognized the objects. Whipping my head around I looked at where we were. How did I not notice where we were? I would've stepped in a told her to go elsewhere but to late now.

But here were now, no longer lost in these huge woods, standing in a beautiful clearing. Stone bench on one side and a natural pond on another with two gravestones set in the center. It gave the beautiful place a sad kinda look to it all. Wistful memories all hidden there. I knew exactly whose they were and how they got there. The sight of them made me stand frozen in place, my gaze locked in on the sight in front of me.

Expressionless face, I stood there watching as Jessica crouched in front of them. A hand brushing over the names lightly. No connection had been made yet which was slightly shocking but then again, they'd been here for a long time now. They were probably eroded some, covered in dirt and dust, hidden away from the world.

A gust of wind flew by, sweeping up dead leaves into the sky. Jessica stood, her hair scattering around behind her as she turned to look behind her, finding me standing there stone still. I watched as pity slowly encased her gaze, my own turing cold and hard. I didn't ned pity. I didn't even want it. They were dead and gone. Nothing could change those facts.

Jessica flinched slightly at my cold look and we just stood there silently facing each other for a long Moment. The winds died down then sprung up again, swinging my hair around across my face. It almost felt like a scene from a movie. Some dramatic Moment, the climax or something. If a well taken picture was shot of this Moment, it'd certainly be an interesting one.

The ever lasting Moment of stillness broke as I spun heel and walked away, leaving her once again to follow or stay there. My pace picked up slightly and soon I was running. I raced through the forest, my hair flying out behind my as I duck under branches, dodge trees, jump over shrubs. I just went as fast as I could until I did the typical thing and tripped over a tree root and went flying. Tumbling several more feet, I just lay there looking up at the almost dark sky, wishing I could just disappear.

People always see me as someone I know I am not. It's like I'm on a stage and everyone I meet gather down in the audience. Here I am, spinning, tumbling and dancing a dance that is written in stone. Even when the curtain falls, my mask will not fall.

Finally catching my breath and calming down, I heard faint sounds of leaves crunching and twigs snapping. Looking over in the general direction, I watch as Jessica makes her appearance a Moment later. She looked incredibly nervous now, what from I wasn't sure. Offering a small smile, I looked back at the tree tops.

"We wont be able to get home tonight" I announce after a minute or so. "W-w-what do you mean?" she stutters. My eyes just roll "Means we're camping out here tonight." I say stretching. Unknown to me, my shirt slides up some, showing the world scars and bruises all along my stomach and rib cage. A low and soft gasp sounds from Jessica, getting my attention once more. "What, you've never camped before?" I asked with a slight smirk. She doesn't answer, just opens and closes her mouth like a dumb fish. I snicker slightly, "Don't worry, I'll make sure you wont freeze to death" I say sitting up, my shirt falling down like a window shade, hiding everything away from the outside.

Jessica's POV

How had things changed in such a short amount of time? Everything was fine until we got lost in these woods. We got lost, I stormed off, found gravestones of her family, she ran off and how here we were in the dark of night. It was one thing after another and now nothing seemed quite right.

I didn't understand why shed bolted after seeing what I'd found. Well, it made sense to some extent, I was partly aware of what shadowed my expression. I guess I wouldn't want someone to give me that look either. Pity isn't exactly a pleasant thing. It just made you feel kinda low or something. It wasn't something I totally understood.

When she announced we were camping out, initially I was about to freak out about that. Camping out door was not something I did at all but what caught my attention next shocked me even more. As her shirt rode up, I caught an eyeful of scars and bruises. It was quite a shock for me. Having never witnessing something like that before made comprehending it a bit hard.

When she laughed, I got even more confused about this girl. Who the heck was she? Laughing like nothing was wrong? I'd see glimpses though. Little hints and signs that things weren't totally as they seemed but it was hard to believe it. She seemed so carefree and cheerful.

As she spoke again, I blinked and nodded slowly "Uh..okay?". She laughs once again, one that sounds so real but now I wasn't sure. Jumping up she looked down at me "Wait here, I'm going to get wood for a fire" she says before disappearing. Sitting down, I hugged my knees and rested my chin on them as I sat there alone with my thoughts.

Remembering her reaction about parents earlier, it started to make a little sense. But if her Dad was dead then what about her mother? Where was she? Kaylee was hiding something, something big. Just something I had a hunch about. Now, to find what it was exactly

Another thought jumped into my head, why did I care? I'd just met the girl, she was only a project partner. Nothing more and nothing less. For all I know, she could be totally fine and all that was past things. Lies. I knew that wasn't true. But all the same, why did I care so much about a girl I just met? 

I meet people all the time and none of them interest me enough to want to find things out. Their issues and concerns didn't mean anything to me. So this or that was going on, whatever, not like it affected me and my life. But Kaylee...ug it just made no sense to me! Giving up, I leaned back against a tree and was just getting settled again when Kaylee reappeared dragging a few things.

Behind her, a couple long broken limbs rested on a shoulder. Dropping them, she swiftly started digging at the ground and making a makeshift pit. Placing stones around the edges, she started breaking branches and creating a mini teepee type thing. It's final height was about as tall as I was and I was a bit taller then Kaylee. At the bottom, she scattered dry leaves and grass, anything that would catch fire easily.

Everything was done with perfection in the silence that hung between us. When she was done, a light sheen of sweat covered her face but she didn't roll up her sleeves. From the pockets, a lighter came forth. Flicking it, she picked one branch up and lit it ablaze after a couple tries. Lowering it slowly, she touched the fire to the grass and leaves which instantly caught on fire.

Soon all the wood was ablaze in a soft orange glow that was warm and comforting. Kaylee looked incredibly pleased with her self and was smiling a bit to herself as she studied it for a Moment. "You did a good job with the fire, never seen anything like it" I compliment. Her cheeks redden some as she nods her thanks "Thanks..my Dad taught me how when I was younger" she says softly.

"Here, eat since I'm sure you're hungry" she says after a few minutes of us just sitting in silence. Arm out, she held a bag of food. Taking it, I looked inside and found a bunch of apples. Raising an eyebrow, I wondered where the hell she'd gotten them since as far as I knew, it wasn't apple season and we were very lost. "Thanks...are you sure?" I ask, just double checking. She nods and looks back at the fire.

Picking one up, I bit into and and started munching on it quietly. The only thing that sounded was the cracking of the fire and my quest chewing. Nothing else was said as we both sat there quietly, just watching the fire and eating apples. Eventually, she yawned and lay down, her head resting on my leg some. Her soft breathing was barely herd over the fire as she relaxed and slowly fell asleep for the night.

Her random action didn't bother me at all, I just started running my fingers through her hair and untangling it, hoping I wasn't hurting her. Tossing the apple core in the fire, I watched the flames consume it instantly. My mind was aloof, totally gone as I sat there just looking at the fire. As time went by, I poked the fire now and then, tossing in more sticks to keep it going before I myself grew tired. Adjusting my position as to not wake up the other girl, I lay down as well and dozed off into a peaceful slumber. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 706 32
Hecate's life was turned around when Nyx and Devin took her in. Going from basically feral to completely functional was a task in itself, but she cou...
1.6M 41.3K 45
--- "I was forced to master the Art of Deception in order to save my brother's ass. I was just supposed to do what I had do and disappear like I didn...
136K 4K 19
❝That's the thing about love. It isn't going to be easy, it isn't going to be smooth, but it's going to be worth it. Because sometimes you have to ta...
17.8K 588 33
"Megan tastes alcohole and smoke, but I don't care. Clichè I know. But the tension is light. She reciprocate it. Suddenly Megan breake it. It is ov...