Ink Lines

By ShenWeiLightning

It's been thirteen years since Lan Zhan was last in a room with Wei Wuxian, but its been five minutes since h... More

Chapter 1. Present Day
Chapter 2. One Year Ago - Caiyi City
Chapter 3. One Year Ago - Jiang Yanli
Chapter 4. One Year Ago - Found
Chapter 5. One Year Ago - August into September
Chapter 6. Reasons
Chapter 7. October Meetings - 9 Months Ago
Chapter 8. November Tea - 8 Months Ago
Chapter 9. January- Fierce Little Tiger
Chapter 10. Five Months Ago -February
Chapter 11. Five Months Ago- February P2
Chapter 12. Five Months Ago - February P3
Chapter 13. Four Months Ago - March
Chapter 14. Three Months ago- Beginning of April
Chapter 15. Three Months Ago-April
Chapter16. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 17. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 18. Two Months Ago - Early May
Chapter 19. One Month Ago. June
Chapter 20. June - Brothers
Chapter 21. June: Force of Nature
Chapter 22. June: Nie Sect
Chapter 23. June: Feels Like A Dream
Chapter 24. Wen Qing
Chapter 25. June: Grey Eyes
Chapter 26. Your Edges Are A Mirror of Mine
Chapter 27. June. Let's Start A War
Chapter 28 Nie Sect Upending
Chapter 29. Lotus flowers
Chapter 30. Crashing Down - Meet Me There
Chapter 31 June: Foxfire
Chapter 33
Chapter 34 June: Murder
Chapter 35: Plan ahead

Chapter 32 Jiang Cheng

123 17 9
By ShenWeiLightning

Wei Ying doesn't make to those ten fifteen classes.

At eight in the morning a paper talisman flies through the gap in the balcony doors and the walls of Wei Ying's bedroom light up with frizzling, shimmering energy that connects to Chenqing, Wei Ying's spiritual flute.

Wei Ying, normally a heavy sleeper, one that needs at least twenty minutes to wake up enough to leave the bed and another ten minutes with a coffee mug in front of him to really 'come around' into full awareness...shot awake violently, nearly throwing Lan Zhan from the bed.

So close to him, curled as they had been beneath the summer weight duvet, it a impossible for Lan Zhan not to see the fear and anger that slams into grey eyes, the menacing force of his need to protect his family undeniable.

He was dressed in minutes, on Suibian in seconds and they were across the river in Lotus Pier, Chenqing tucked into his sect belt, his eyes mercury with worry, full of frantic energy. It was a given that Lan Zhan would follow and Jiang Yanli met them at the family dock with Sizhui holding her hand.

"Jiejie!"

"We're not under attack." She said hurriedly as her brother simply dropped from his sword, Suibian sheathing itself as he landed, murder clearly on Wei Ying's mind. "But there has been some bad news."

The morning is soon chaos and fraught tension, the main pavilion on the river that has belonged to Jiang sect family for centuries, is the epicenter as news from Qinghe sends anger and fear through the family. A phone call from Nie Huaisang - the one that Lan Zhan has been waiting for with worried anticipation.

Now, the Jiang have become aware that Nie Huaisang has been interviewed by Qinghe SCD, learned that he revealed a significant number of secrets and has asked Jiang Cheng for help. Rather than see this as something good, even from a criminal prosecution of the Wen perspective, the Jiang take it badly. Proof that their family is again under attack.

Nie Huaisang has been their friend since they were teenagers and he is a well-loved honor disciple, who had saved a great number of Jiang during the Wen assault on Lotus Pier. His heroism is not even inflated, exaggerated for effect. Lan Zhan watched the tape himself at the time, when Wei Ying and Nie Huaisang were missing among the dead littering the pier.

Within minutes of standing here, Lan Zhan becomes aware that Wei Ying - might not know all of it, - certainly did know enough.

Was this why they were so sure that Nie Huaisang wouldn't break? That their secret, the murder of Wen Chao, was safe, when Nie Huaisang had a reputation of being dramatic and non-confrontational to say the least? On the surface, he wasn't someone who you would think would be safe with such a secret. But the Jiang trusted him completely. But if Wei Ying and the Jiang were...

In the sun shine, with the summer heat rising with the day, its harder for Lan Zhan not to remember those frantic, terrifying hours when he had been suspended between the greatest agony that he would find Wei Ying dead under the scorching sun and despair that he could not locate him.

If he closes his eyes, if he so much as looks away from Wei Ying, that blood soaked day seems never-ending. He can almost see the bodies strewn across the ancient boardwalks and smell the blood in the air. So he lingers at the steps of the pavilion, waiting for the decision to be finalized, keeping Wei Ying in his line of sight. This is not his place, though he longs to stand beside Wei Ying.

The longer he listens, Lan Zhan realizes he was distracted by his own heartbreak and love story, missing vital parts to this problem.

Standing here it becomes obvious that the Jiang had been keeping secret lives from their parents for a long time. Not just the bakery and adding qualifications to their resumes, things their parents wouldn't allow or approve of...but more than that. Close ties with the Da Fan Wen, who they knew had no loyalty, no love for the main family. Wen Qing and Jiang Cheng had been dating on and off for a decade, time that included military service plus living in different cities, with heavy family expectations and in Wen Qing's case, significant danger.

The name change couldn't have happened without the death of their parents. And Lan Zhan meant nothing by that observation, but he knew that Wei Ying must have had an alternative plan. He wouldn't have ignored the plight of her family or his brother's heartbreak. Wei Ying and his brother might bicker and shove each other, but Wei Ying in particular was fiercely protective of his younger brother. And Jiang Cheng said recently that he would never have married if he couldn't ask Wen Qing to be his wife.

So his little brother is love with a woman his parents would hate, with family in jeopardy of being killed and he's got a choice between make this work or burying his brother.

Sometimes it takes a great deal of effort to look as if you barely made any effort at all. Wei Ying called so many of his paintings 'easy' and made it look so effortless, when the truth was a different animal. Paintings that were as beautiful and realistic as his, took time and a great deal of effort.

The saving of the Da Fan Wen was the same.

Wen Ning's job at the archery center, money exchanging hands, an escape route so carefully planned. Having the necessary skills to pull off the death of an identity in this modern world, one so complete and with such a smooth transition it was disturbing. Done in such a way that it neutralized Wen Xu's response.

Wen Qing was marrying Jiang Cheng, would have to perform the duties that came with that role, paraded in front of Wen Xu at sect conferences and the like. Except, they didn't seemed bothered by this. As if they had done something, that ensured that Wen Xu couldn't talk about it.

And that made Lan Zhan seriously anxious.

Because that meant that Wei Ying was tangled up in the spider's web that was the Wen Sect's evil. Somewhere, somehow he had done something, threatened something so integral that Wen Xu - who had poor impulse and temper control on the average day - listened and subsided. He bought the Wen Da Fan freedom. What Lan Zhan didn't know was the price.

Or Wen Qing herself had.

Gone from being in hiding with her family, to living free of the Wen enforcers and marrying a sect leader that was deeply opposed to the Wen, their corporate rivals. Turning as they said from red to purple. Treason. Defecting. Sharing sect secrets. Marrying an enemy. All of the above were her crimes in the eyes of Wen Xu, so why not react?

As grateful as he was, Lan Zhan had to ask why. Why was there no angry violent response? Why wasn't Wen Xu shouting from the rooftops that Wen Qing was Ke Qingzhao?

Then there was Nie Huaisang. What role did Wei Ying play in keeping Nie Huaisang alive and whole?

Why torment him but not kill him? Perhaps because of Nie Mingjue. But why continue to threaten him, use him when they couldn't have needed him that much, surely? Why was Nie Huaisang so important to the Wen, when he was unwilling and tried to be as unhelpful as possible?

What did Wei Ying do that meant that Nie Huaisang was kept alive? Wei Ying recommended him for the job in Furong Enterprises and his qualifications spoke for themselves, but Wei Ying was the connecting factor. Wei Ying was given the job by his uncle based on his brilliance and it caused untold drama with Madam Yu.

Nie Huaisang had known about the Da Fan Wen then for years. The Jiang siblings knew about the threats, the blackmail and the murder of the former Nie sect leader for years then too.

Years of shared secrets, shared risk and proven loyalty.

Of course Nie Huaisang was allowed access to the Jiang systems. Of course he and Wei Ying wanted the best shield system. Of course they had been working on this problem for years and were only able to go further after the massacre.

Wei Ying didn't doubt Nie Huaisang and the anger that Lan Zhan could see, was over his friend getting hurt, that justice had finally come and it wasn't for Nie Huaisang but might very well be against him. He was not worried in the slightest that Nie Huaisang would talk about Wen Chao.

Wei Ying shifts annoyed and Lan Zhan's eyes are on the movement immediately.

He's not wearing his Jiang coat or red, but is dressed entirely in black, his grey eyes sharp, mouth curled in a bitter smile.

To his credit, Jiang Cheng doesn't balk at the idea of traveling to Qinghe, with dwindling days before the terrible anniversary and despite what Wei Ying is saying, doesn't seem bothered by the security threat of it either. .

The Wen Da Fan family lingers worriedly, listening as the three siblings argue it out in that odd way of theirs. No one raises their voices, but the Jiang brothers are aggressive with each other and deeply respectful of their sister. Jiang Yanli mediates but asks difficult questions of her brothers, never diminishing the role or opinions of either of them.

To make matters worse the three siblings choose not to argue in full sentences, knowing each other so well.

Jiang Yanli sits at on the bench in the corner set out over the water, facing her brothers. Jiang Cheng stands to the right closest to the modern furniture that has turned this space into an inviting living area off of the main house. Wei Ying leans against the post forming the third point of the triangle with his back to the house, facing both of his siblings.

Here like this, he is undoubtedly acting as the Second of the sect and Jiang Cheng's older brother. There is no smile now, no amusement, only that dogged coldness.

Proving how integral the younger Nie brother is, how tightly he is woven into the fabric of the Jiang family, both those of blood and by bond, this is taken very badly. Wei Ying is furious but he is most worryingly of all, coldly strategic. Jiang Cheng is adamant about going to Qinghe, but both Wei Ying and Jiang Yanli are adamant he's not going alone.

Jin Zixuan although worried about this, is more concerned, and Lan Zhan as well if he is honest, about the target painted on the backs of the Jiang siblings.

It was no secret now among the co-conspirators seeking to protect the Jiang, that the Wen sect had conspired with the Jin to plant evidence against Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng. That having failed, means that the plan to go that much further is fully underway.

The idea was to lure Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying to a scene where they were accused of murder. The Jin attempt had allowed their enemies to realize that if provoked both brothers would react strongly to defend their land and disciples. If this was harnessed correctly, the Yunmeng Brothers could be accused of murder or running a drug operation.

All easy to achieve when you factor in that the Wen are in every kind of trafficking known to man and drugs are so easy plant. The Jianghu police would swoop in lead by Nie Mingjue or even Lan officers. This would be a non-cultivation offense too and that meant, the legal courts of both worlds, then prison or capital punishment. Or just as likely, one or both of the brothers die. Jiang Yanli would lose the sect and where would they be?

Lan Zhan has to take them down before the anniversary.

Nie Mingjue according to his contacts and Lan Xichen himself, had teamed up with the full authority of the Qinghe and Caiyi SCD divisions to confer with national police.Nie Huaisang's evidence was heavily detailed, hard to argue with and spanned a decade. They had so enjoyed tormenting Nie Huaisang that they never checked him for a microphone or camera. All the beatings and threats were on tape. All the overheard conversations and bragging. And the crowning glory of Lady Jin and Wen Xu himself.

Jiang Cheng was technically Nie Huaisang's other sect leader and planned to go there with sect lawyers and disciples to lend Nie Huaisang all the help he could be given at this point. That was in argument. What the siblings were arguing about, was who to send with him. Jiang Yanli couldn't go because they had a company to run and she was needed here. Wei Ying had to stay behind if Jiang Cheng left Yunmeng. This was their agreement, that one of them remained at all times.

Lan Zhan would not go, could not and protect the Jiang family, protect Wei Ying. Jin Zixuan couldn't, for the simple reason that such a pairing would suggest that Nie Huaisang had Jin protection.

"I'll go."

Everyone turned as Wen Qing strode through the glass doors that led from the sitting room in the house, down the steps to the pavilion, her family parting to let her pass so smoothly it was the parting of waves. Behind her was Wen Ning, looking anxious but Wen Qing ignored all the stares and strode up to the pavilion, reminding everyone that this was the binding of families.

"Ah-Cheng is my fiance and as a doctor, I can ascertain how Nie Huaisang is being treated officially." She said boldly and stepped up beside Jiang Cheng, who was staring at her in wonder and a little shock. "I am also a trained cultivator and more useful to Ah-Cheng than just any disciple."

"Wen Qing," Jiang Cheng argues.

"Don't kill anyone." Wei Ying tells her lazily, "We'd be culpable." And with that, the Second of the sect, the enforcer of the sect and the most dangerous of the three siblings, gives his blessing.

Jiang Yanli nods and smiles warmly, "Of course. An excellent idea."

Of course that wasn't the end of the argument. Inside away from Jin Zixuan and most of the Da Fan Wen family, the issue of a Wen going to the Unclean Realm rose like a ugly demon. But rather than be offended, Wen Qing simply pointed out that in her position as Jiang Cheng's wife, she could hardly shirk the duties of interacting with other sects.

Even as a modern husband who deeply respects this wife's occupation and time, her commitment to her patients, she could not let down the Jiang sect by failing to perform her duties. Lan Zhan didn't think Jiang Cheng would have any choice but to respect her job really, considering this was Wen Qing who had survived the brutal Wen family rules and was armed with knives and silver needles at all times. But nevertheless, her identity as Ke Qingzhao had to be good enough to pass inspection with all of the sects.

The story was set. Ke Qingzhao was from Lotus Pier. She was not a main disciple, choosing the medical profession but she and Jiang Cheng were school sweethearts, then after Jiang Cheng's military service they had rekindled their romance. The unspoken part was that Lady Yu Ziyuan did not approve of her.

Some of the smaller sects, like the Yu family were suspicious, angry even that Jiang Cheng had kept this secret romance going. But the Jiang didn't care.

It was decided.

Sect healers often worked a the local hospital, but there was a clause in their contract that allowed them to leave on sect business for any length of time. So no one would raise any questions about Wen Qing leaving for a few days. In an hour, their bags were packed and they were ready to leave for the air field two miles away.

One of the many battle plans that Wei Ying brought to life post-massacre was the private plane maintained at the small airfield nearby. The plane was owned by a company and the pilot was a Jiang disciple, ready to take Jiang Cheng anywhere he needed to go. He was notorious as the sect leader of the Jiang and in his role within Furong. He could hardly fly commercially with all of the death threats the Wen lobbed at them and it was too far for sword travel.

Wei Ying chose six disciples to travel with them, organized the lawyers and bullied the SCD representative in his own unique way, a young detective that soon Lan Zhan would be responsible for.

The six were well trained and unwavering in their loyalty, stepping up behind Jiang Cheng with confidence.

But it was hard to say who was more shocked when Wen Qing appeared for the very first time in purple. Admittedly, part of that surprise was the fact that it was lilac, not the darkest violet coat of the Jiang over white, a far cry from the red of her sect, or the black clothing that she usually opted for. In soft colors she was transformed into someone no one had entirely met before.

Jiang Cheng's smile was bright for him and he didn't seem surprised. His positive reaction, complete with stammering she looked lovely, seemed to put Wen Qing at ease. Jiang Nainai looked so proud and Uncle Four was grinning.

She carried her sword, that thankfully had never been really adorned with any of the Wen symbols. Someone, maybe Wei Ying had bound the hilt with purple and black braiding and added lotus chains to the guard and the qiao was new, demurely decorated with unmistakable Jiang symbols.

Like this, Wen Qing looked like the Lady of the Jiang, even if that was a title avoided by both her and Jiang Yanli, refused by Lady Yu before her.

Last orders were given, a hug for Jiang Yanli, a kiss for Nainai and a shoulder clasp for Wei Ying and then the Lotus Pier power couple were driving off.

Wei Ying, Wen Ning and Jiang Yanli stood together to watch the cars leave, then Wei Ying turned to the assembled Jiang disciples and said with fake positivity, "Come on, no long faces! Speed sword practice can cure any heartache!"

Wen Ning looked at Wei Ying prompting laughter as he said, "Baking helps too."

**

While Jiang Cheng was gone, Wei Ying was relocating to Lotus Pier - well the main home at least.

Lan Zhan knew he was uncomfortable with staying the house and the reason could be the massacre or the problems with Madam Yu. It was clear bad memories lay at the heart of his lack of enthusiasm to sleep over at the house. Either way, he never spent the night if he could help it. But Jiang Yanli instantly relaxed hearing her other brother was moving back in temporarily, which strengthened Wei Ying's choice.

The amusing thing was, Jin Zixuan was relieved Wei Ying was sleeping close too.

His old rooms had been ruined by the fire which Lan Zhan didn't know, then rebuilt and were being used by Nainai herself. His sister could hardly put her own little brother in the sect dignitary rooms on the far wing of the complex and the cottages were all occupied, but Wei Ying solved her problems by asking if he could take the downstairs suite used by Grandmother Yu.

The suite was three rooms, a sitting room done in Yu colors and a bedroom and the antechamber that seemed a Jiang necessity. Even Wei Ying's apartment had one.

Lan Zhan had to admit that Jiang Yanli knew her brother well.

While Wei Ying had completed the training, put in a full day's work at the office over the water for Furong, trained the youngest disciples and completed his own quota, his sister had in her words 'revitalized' the suite of rooms with Nainai.

Lan Zhan had volunteered to take on Wei Ying's usual roles while Wei Ying was filling for Jiang Cheng, then focused on familiarizing himself with the Yunmeng SCD office. By the time Lan Zhan had returned from his meeting with the current head of SCD, Jiang Yanli had moved Sizhui's bed from the nursery into the sitting room, changed the sheets of the main bed and removed all of the items that were meant for their grandmother.

Jiang Cheng had texted when he arrived in Qinghe and promised to call that night with answers. So dinner was a subdued affair, with now three chairs empty at the family table, but the Wen family tried their best to keep things light, with warm chatter and stories.

Jiang Yan and Wen Ning refused to let Jiang Yanli worry about the dishes, shooing them off gently to watch one of their favourite shows. Jiang Fang, Jiang Qinqin, Si-Shu followed her, with Song Yan and Jiang Tingxi, settling in the sitting room with tea. Nainai kidnapped Wei Ying, to help with the children, the sweet routine of bedtime stories and bathtime.

But not before WeiYing stepped in and hugged his sister tightly. "Ah-Cheng will be okay. Nie-di will be too."

Jin Zixuan left for his home office and Lan Zhan told them he was due to call his uncle. All true, but that wasn't why Lan Zhan wanted the privacy.

**

Outside on the water in one of the smaller pavilion, Lan Zhan did call his uncle. They spoke for few minutes, about business and the sect, then spoke for a longer time about Lan Zhan's decision to remain in Yunmeng.

To his shock, his uncle was neither surprised nor vehemently against the idea. "What can Caiyi give you now that you have built it fully?" He demanded rhetorically, "Am I to believe that you will let Yunmeng fall to pieces when that is the home of my great-nephew?"

"Yunmeng is a disgrace. You are the second of Gusu and they were the sect to help us in our time of need. The alliance with Jiang is important. I cannot say I am thrilled, but you will continue your remote work for the Lan Sect."

When Lan Zhan of course agreed to that and to the other duties that uncle wanted, there was less animosity than Lan Zhan expected. It felt almost like acceptance, even if it was begrudging.

Then he got down to the important part; reaching out to his network.

**

He soon learned the reason why Jiang Cheng had not immediately called and why Jin Zixuan was having to call home.

It was a mess.

But a brilliant opportunity for those seeking the destruction of the Wen and Jin.

The suspects in Nie custody, many of them Nie disciples had broken under the strain of interview, plus the overwhelming evidence stacked against them. Admitting that they did threaten Nie Hauisang, that they did assist in the murder of the former sect leader and the attempted murder of the current sect leader.

That was massive for Nie Huaisang, but it didn't end there. They admitted involvement in a bigger conspiracy to harm the Lan sect too. The break in the shields was engineered by the Wen and one Nie disciple who had 'improved' the ward breaker technology. Nie Huaisang became a problem when he helped to foil the attack on Gusu.

After that, when he returned to Yunmeng they spend weeks trying to get him alone to enact their revenge. Nie Yi wanted him dead for saving the Lan, for failing to help the Wen - except Nie Huaisang didn't know about the attack. He did however, have that entire conversation on tape.

Lan Xichen was supposed have been killed that night and when Nie Huaisang called Nie Yi ' a sick, twisted bastard,' he had his lackeys beat the shit out of him. injuries that Wei Ying must have known about. A curse hit Nie Yi not long after that. His guilt slowly consuming it.

The disciples in a bid to avoid the ceremonial sect torture that has been the mainstay of the sect policy for centuries and then execution, the accused then provided evidence that the Wen arranged to have three national lawyers, four cops and a judge killed. Figbird confirms this, with the added weight of similar deaths.

They tell Nie Mingjue that Wang Lingjiao has the tapes as insurance. She kept them for Wen Chao, evidence on his brother.

And Nie Huaisang has Wang Lingjiao on tape with Nie Yi, threatening to burn down the Lan Sect, after Nie Huaisang's return to Yunmeng, from Gusu. His camera was on his lapel apparently and his beating was filmed live, followed by him being made to sit in a dining room opposite a mirror. You can see Nie Huaisang bleeding and Wang Lingjiao giggling with Nie Yi.

Lan Zhan calls his brother and hears first hand of the tapes, the endless interviews and meetings.

To save Nie Huaisang they are twisting the truth to say he was working undercover for the Nie sect. It almost reads true considering the situations Nie Huaisang has been in, just recently. He is acquitted of all charges and Jiang Cheng is defending him as an honor disciple.

Lan Xichen goes on to add that he intends with Nie Mingjue to arrest those responsible as they are jointly heading the jianghu police. It is single handed the best news Lan Zhan has heard in this long, hard battle for justice.

Wen Xu is on tape. The evidence is clear, spread over years and the divisions are now sharp. The Nie will not stand with the Jin, nor will the Lan sect. By arresting Wang Lingjiao, they will have that evidence over Wen Xu as well, because whatever Wen Chao had on his brother, he would have to bad and significant. Probably enough to convince anyone that Wen Xu murdered his own brother not Wei Ying.

But the surveillance will continue and so will the plan to frame Wei Ying.

They are so close!

**

When he goes inside, he bypasses the sitting room and heads for the suite at the back of the house. He's not honestly sure if Wei Ying wants him here, but he goes where his heart leads him.

Inside, he finds Wei Ying sitting by Sizhui's beside, a story book open on his lap, Chenqing in his hand. Little Sizhui is fast asleep, clutching his toy rabbit, turned towards his father sitting on the floor.

Wei Ying's smile is happy, but tinged with sadness when he sees Lan Zhan, holding out his hand adorably to be hauled to his feet.

Lan Zhan goes to him and tugs him up, smiling as Wei Ying 'falls' into his arms. "Take me to bed Lan Zhan, won't you?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.3K 3.3K 19
Lan Zhan decides to follow his love Wei Ying into Burial Mounds. The story follows their love life after Lan Zhan settles at Burial Mounds. It is ju...
39.8K 2K 53
its story about secret love story about cloud recesses second heir Lan wangi and lotus pier elder son Wei wuxian
36.8K 2.1K 12
When Wei Ying removed his hand from Lan Zhan hand, he look up at Lan Zhan, he can see the hurt, the sadness and how devastated Lan Zhan is when he se...
Ghost By

Romance

9K 972 16
Lan Zhan has been beaten nearly to death. He doesn't want to live. His Wei Ying is dead or is he? Suddenly Wei Ying is talking to Lan Zhan but is he...