PRUDE WITH PRIDE

By Keerah_007

This story is for every girl who feels like she is not enough. Our heroine worries herself to death everyday... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Eleven

3 0 0
By Keerah_007

I wake up sometime later. Didn't know when I dozed off. Panicky, I grab my phone to check the time hoping I didn't sleep past the time for the party. It's 5 now and the party is scheduled for 7pm. I registered 7 as eight in my head, Nigerian Time. Although, I wonder if the opening would work like that.

I assume people with calibre showing up and keeping to time. A smile slowly creeps to my face and there are butterflies in my belly. I am excited, it's my first social gathering in a while and also about the prospect of asking Ire if he likes me.

I am shit scared on one hand but on the other I just want some definition. Tonight would be the answer I am looking for. That way I can move and try to find someone else for my mom. Scratch that, for me. I haven't thought about marriage in a while. My mom has been telling me about marriage since I was 25. Sometimes I forget I am the one marrying.

I get out of bed to stretch looking out the window. I have been so caught up with work and Ire that I forget my ulterior motive for this trip. It's either that or I go on multiple dates featuring all of mom's friends' sons. Is it really that bad? Who knows? One of them could charm me.

Immediately, my phone rings and it's Jola trying to video call me. I accept and set my iphone down where she can see me.

"Babes. How far. You just went awol." She says looking pissed.

"I am sorry. Work has been hectic. How are you doing?"

"I am alright." She snaps her fingers

"You look glam." I say noticing the hair and nails

"Must be the afterglow."

"Of what?" Then I gasp aloud. "Who is it?"

"It's Femi. He's back."

"For real? Babe, I am so happy for you. Are you back together with him?"

Her ex-boyfriend. They broke up when he traveled to Russia to study. After the break up they remained close. I would tease her calling him her husband.

"We are going with the flow. I was with him all morning. We had the best…"

My hands are on my ears in an attempt to stop her from telling me about their sexual escapades.

"Don't wanna hear it." I say when she stops.

"Whatever. Miss-goody-two-shoes. And you are not that innocent." She squints at me and I laugh.

"You assumed I am. I am happy for you. Make sure he asks you out. Don't go sleeping with him because he's hot."

"I think that's enough reason but I won't. How's your hot boss doing?"

"He's good. Busy, I guess." Then shrugs

She tilts her head to the side. "See you trying to feign ignorance?" Cause you are failing. Your face is bright red."

"How can you even tell?"

"I have known you a long time. I can tell when you are flustered. Now, what happened."

"Fine."

Then I proceed to tell her everything that's happened between us in the past few days. In between, she gasps when I tell her about the kiss and sex joke. Then goes aww's when I tell her about the moment in the garden.

"I am going to ask him what he's deal is tonight at the party. What do you think? Should I?" I ask, feeling uncertain as things could go wrong.

"I don't think you should. Let things happen naturally between you too. And besides, he might just be a nice person."

"I know but I like him. I don't want to fall any further without knowing what we are."

"Is this because you lost it to him? Is that why you are getting attached."

"Of course not. And besides, I am not sure if he's the one. I was half drunk when we met and the next day my head was buzzing. That's beside the point, the point is there's something here. I know it."

She looks at me thoughtfully then nods.

"What are you wearing tonight?"

I smile at her. Swiftly, I remember the bag of clothes I hadn't seen or checked since I got here. I rush to the side of the bed where my stuff is stashed and go through it. Then place it on the bed where we can both see it. I tried them on one after the other

"Wear the red one. It would look so good on you."

I ignored her grabbing the gold satin gown with boat neck. I don't like it very much. I set it down and immediately I am wearing the black dress with tiny straps. The straps look like they'd snap any minute. Finally, I wear the red one.

It's a beautiful long sleeve dress with a really low back and higher neck with a slit coming from my thigh down to my ankle. The lace sleeves make me look like royalty. And i like the way it's doing justice to my curves.

"I love it." I look back at my phone to find Jola grinning. I bet she's feeling proud of herself for choosing it.

"I knew it. I knew it was the one. Your hot boss' jaws would drop tonight. I wish I was there with you."

"I really wish you were." I tried to look as sad as possible.

"Okay. I need to prepare for my date and so do you."

"I love you. Bye"

"Byeee."

I remove the gown and head for the bathroom where I have multiple soliloquies about how tonight would play out. I switch between being Ireoluwa and myself. Acting out roles.

I got dressed and did my makeup. This time I actually took my time. Makeup hasn't been my thing for a long time but because of certain occasions like this one, I had Jola teach me the basis. Like how to do my brows and eyes, use a foundation and apply powder on my face.

This dress fills me with a brand new  confidence as I look myself over in the mirror. And for the upteenth time, I tell myself I look gorgeous. Immediately, I thought about what Ire would think about it. I don't dwell on that very much.

I make my way out the door carrying a really small clutch courtesy Jola. She's so thoughtful. I don't remember telling her to include a clutch. Thankfully the party was held at the hotel so I didn't have to search for it.

The banquet hall is littered with people in shiny clothes. It's a magnificent sight.  Dignitaries, celebrities and other important people. I don't fold up, I walk along confident in my strides but also desperately looking for someone I know. I wouldn't even mind Feyi at this point

"Feyi! Hey." He's not a bastard I say inwardly. It's what we say in Nigeria when you are talking about in this case thinking about someone and they appear.

"Dayum! Girl. Ignore that. But you look so on fire."

I laugh at that. "Thank you so much. And you don't look bad yourself." At Least tonight he's not wearing stripes. He looks nice in the plain white t-shirt and grey pants with shoes to match.

"Thank you. I mean, I almost didn't recognize you. Do you wanna go somewhere?" He has taken a new tone of voice now. Quiet, breathy and husky. I didn't think he could pull it off but he somehow managed it.

"Ah! The offer sounds tempting BUT I want to look around a bit more."

His face falls and he grinds his teeth. He's disappointed and angry. His eyes blazed for a second there. Quickly, he gets himself together and lets out an exasperated sigh.

"Okay. I'll catch you later tonight." He says it  like it is a fact.

Feyi is charming. Tonight's move was smooth, any girl would swoon. Some things about him drive me the wrong way. I forge ahead in my quest to find Ire. My eyes sharp as a hawk as I navigate through the crowd.

Not long I see him with Felicia and her father having a conversation with people I have never seen before. Hot doesn't come close to defining him. I think he should wear a tuxedo everyday. The smile on his face slowly reflects on mine. There I realize how much I want to kiss him and remember it this time.

His eyes finds mine soon enough. I nod to the exit and he nods back. I don't bother to wait for him. He joins me later and we walk in silence for a while.

"It's beautiful tonight don't you think." I say in an attempt to start a conversation.

"It is. Not as stunning as you look in that dress."

"Flattery would get you nowhere." I rush to sit to hide the blush and huge smile on my face. The steps look high enough and there are no bushes where a snake can crawl up my ass. I love this dress but I'd rip it apart if that happens.

"I don't flatter people. You are either it or you are not. You are gorgeous." He says and for a while we only stare at each other. I look up at the sky, telling myself that I haven't been dreaming these past few days.

"I ought to be in there searching for a life partner. Someone I could build a life with or else I am going to go on dates with my mom's friend's son's." I laugh

"That's wild. My dad has been telling me to find someone too. Why aren't you in there?" He looks intently at me.

"Why aren't you in there too?" We both laugh and I know we both know the answer to that question

"I bet you have lots of options. You are beautiful, smart, funny, and kind. I am sure you have them lined up."

I snicker and chuckle at that. "Should I tell you a secret?"

"What's that?" He draws closer

"I have never dated. Like ever!" I say after a heartbeat.

He gasps dramatically."No way. Are guys blind now? Why not?" His eyes are twinkling in the light. Ire likes to gossip.

"I don't know. Many have said I am too picky, manly, or too independent. But really, they don't get it. Because they aren't me. When I am sure about someone, I think I'd know and see the signs."

"It's called standards. Don't give in to the pressure. You are the prize."

I turned to him, gathering the confidence I could muster. Locking eyes with him and I try not to squirm. It's hard but the sincerity in his gaze makes it easy.

"Do you like me?" I ask. His eyebrows go up and I know he wasn't expecting it. "I may have misread it, these past few days have been exciting with you. I don't want to get my hopes up and…"

"I do. I like you. I have liked you since that night at the club." I am smiling at his answer and him and the universe. Thankful that finally something or someone is going my way. Well, until the last sentence register.

"It was you. It was you. But why'd you lie?" I am in shock.

"I am sorry. It's complicated."

"We could have talked about it. I would have apologized." I am standing now. My mind is hazy.

"I don't want that. I want you. There's a very good reason I didn't tell you sooner."

"Was all of this some kind of sick joke? Are you playing on my intelligence? She's cheap let me see if I can get her.

"I would never do that. I needed more time."

"I made a fool of myself. And I don't even remember losing a huge part of me. I am so embarassed."

He comes closer. "Please let me explain."

Something in me is softening at the earnest look in his eyes and I want to here him out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.2K 1.7K 9
HEAVILY UNDER EDITING. COPYRIGHT 2018 ~~Yusrah~~ After the death of my mom ,I thought I was alone no one to be by my side then I met this man who mov...
62.7K 4.7K 24
*A Nigerian Romance Story* The line between Infatuation and Obsession is called Danger. Wunmi decided to accept the job her friend is offering her a...
11.2K 147 6
If Akiah has learned one thing it's men ain't shit. Her Daddy abandoned her family, boys in school belittled her, and the only man she has ever reall...
11.2K 2.1K 51
β€’He needed a wife. She needed to pay back a favor. β€’His mother suggested her name. She didn't see why not. β€’He thought he knew her. She had some s...