Chapter Twelve

We stand there five feet apart. The air is thick with unsaid tension, how did the night go from romantic to disappointing.

"Please let me explain." His expression is soft and sorry at the same time. I am considering letting him explain himself when that high pitched voice beats me to speaking first.

"What is going on here, Ire?" Felicia's voice made me stare at the floor in irritation.

"Babe. It's nothing you need to worry about."

My head snaps back up at the word babe. Felicia looks stunning in her black straight evening gown. Identical to the one I had refused to wear. She looks at me incredulously, just like me she's having a hard time figuring out what was happening.

And did he just call her babe. I didn't wait there for one more second. Heading into the crowd once again. My senses are heightened and everyone's cologne makes me want to sneeze. I am heading for my room when someone grabs my elbow.

Wishing it was Ireoluwa, I turned. Feyi was staring at me with a smile on his face. Here is someone enjoying himself. I just wanted to be alone with my thoughts.

"Are you okay?" He said over the noise.

"I am fine." I lied. Been doing that alot

"Let's go grab a drink."

"No. I'll pass. I don't feel too good."

"The more reasons you should drink."

Slowly, I wriggle out of his hold. The glass of whatever it is he was drinking disgusted me. It was alcohol that put me in this mess. Didn't recognize my enemy before but now I do. That's why one should never make a decision based on emotion. Who knows what ridicule I'd make of myself this time. I am not about to figure it out.

I would never forgive myself if I slept with a coworker. The horror!

"I can't hold my liquor so I don't drink."

"Come on. Just once. I am here. Don't you trust me?" He tries to grab me again but I dodge it. He staggers on his feet. My protector seems to have had one too many himself.

"I'll pass. Have a goodnight."

To his dumb question, of course, I don't trust him. At this point I don't trust anybody. A drunk guy is more dangerous than a sober one. What if he acts accordingly, he'd blame it on the alcohol.

Then I wouldn't have a choice but to whip out my Karate and Jujitsu skills. No kidding. I have had to deal with a lot of psychotic men even as a child. They see the woman I don't even recognize in me. Luckily, that conversation didn't drag on further and I made it to my room safely.

I swing my room's door open trying not to glance at his room. This is the tranquility that I miss. And I am not mistaken loneliness for tranquility. I step out of my shoes and sit on the bed. He called her babe. I heard him call her babe and that could mean two things. One, they are just friends and that's how they talk to each other. Two, they are in a relationship. Still.

He told me he likes me while he's in a relationship with her. He lied to me. Why did he lie? I slam myself on my bed. Wondering why nothing ever goes as planned. At least I know now that my luck with men still remains.

Loneliness is starting to creep in now. I grab my phone thinking of who to call and talk to. More than anyone, I wanted to talk to Jola and have her curse him out for me. But I don't want to be selfish and ruin a great night for her.

I step out of my dress, feeling lighter. I step into the bathroom and as the waterfalls, I feel the stress and knots rolling down into the drains. In my bathrobe, I decided to call my mom.