I'm Not Giving Up Tonight

By nachonachodude

Scarlet finds herself at 33 still doing the job she took after Uni to "tide her over". Driving the rich and f... More

Introduction AN
She's The Baddest Of Them All
Jaded
Hounds of Love
Sprained Ankle
Cemetery Gates
Shine A Light
22
Aubrey Plaza
Dreams
This Love
Bobby Jean
Ceilings
Don't delete the kisses
Epilogue - Dizzy

The Dying Light

221 6 4
By nachonachodude

Noel watched the rain drizzle down his mam's living room. Christmas had been weird. His kids had been with their mums then at his and going back and forth and Liam had been at his mam's so he didn't go see her and he just felt exhausted. It was all so complicated besides what he had with Scarlet. And he hadn't seen her. He missed her.

He'd finally made his way to his mum's after New Year. Frank had taken him and he seemed oddly frosty with him. He had an idea that perhaps he knew about Scarlet and that he didn't entirely approve. He didn't blame him.

His phone buzzed. He smiled. Scarlet posing with a glass of red wine and tinsel in her hair. "Decorations coming down. Sad. You'll be dancing with joy. I miss you... x"

It was crazy how much he missed her. It had hit him like a freight train. This thing with her was "casual" by name and circumstance only.

"You seem down love." Said Peggy with a concerned frown.

He shook his head.

"I'm fine mam."

Peggy smiled.

"Love sick then? It's one or the other. And I'd have preferred if it was the first as bad as that is to say." She said giving him a pointed look.

Noel sighed and flushed under her intense gaze. She always got to the truth so there was no point lying.

"There's a woman. I like her. She likes me. We make each other happy."

Peggy nodded.

"Good."

Noel frowned.

"You're not mad?"

Peggy shook her head.

"Livid. But at least I know the girl in question is sensible and cares for you. I did tell you to be careful there."

Noel nodded. He exhaled, relieved that the truth was out.

"I know. I am being. We both are. It just feels...right. Even with everything going on. Sara wants to go public..."

Peggy nodded.

"Good. It's time. Then you need to decide what you're doing with Scarlet now she doesn't need to be a secret any more."

Noel frowned.

"How you mean?"

Peggy sighed.

"Well, what is this? Sex? A relationship?"

Noel cringed.

"Mam...can we not talk about this?"

Peggy gave Noel a stern look.

"I just worry that's all. If it's just sex fine. If it's a relationship fine. But you need to both know what you're doing here. You're not kids either of ye."

Noel hesitated.

"It's not sex. It's not just sex I mean. I like her. I miss her."

Peggy nodded.

"Does she know this?"

Noel nodded.

"Yeah. I mean I think so."

Peggy rolled her eyes.

"Well she needs to know so. Bloody hell!"

Noel bit his lip as he deliberated.

"She's nearby. She's visiting her parents."

"Go. What ye waiting for an invite?"

Noel nodded. He kissed his mam on the cheek and she rubbed his back.

"Give her my love."

"I will. I'll be back later."

Peggy gave him a look.

"You better be. What would her parents think."

Noel laughed.

"Probably wouldn't care. Her mam's a hippy from LA."

Peggy shook her head slowly.

"You know how to pick them."

Noel got back in the car and Frank put his paper aside.

"Flying visit today?"

Noel shook his head.

"Can you take me here?" He asked showing Frank the address.

Scarlet had given him it at the start of the holidays.

Frank looked at him knowingly.

He wanted to clear the air.

"Frank look...I know this wasn't the best idea maybe to get involved with Scarlet. I know she's like a daughter to you. But I won't hurt her. I like her. A lot."

Frank relaxed slightly and nodded.

Scarlet was covered in tinsel and glitter as the doorbell buzzed.

"Babe you expecting someone?" Her mam asked as she put her book down and looked at her father who was helping Scarlet put the tree away.

He shook his head.

"Ye didn't phone one of those deliveroo things did ya?"

Her mum shook her head.

Scarlet rolled her eyes.

"I'll get it."

She opened the door still in a tangle. Her eyes widened and she grinned. She tried to open her arms to hug him but she was all wrapped up in tinsel.

Noel laughed at her predicament.

She stood on tiptoe and kissed him firmly.

Noel pulled back a slight flush on his cheeks.

"You're here." She said.

Noel nodded.

"Is that alright?"

Scarlet nodded.

"Yeah come in. Frank get in here stop being a weirdo!"

She shouted as she peeked behind Noel.

Noel grimaced.

"He ain't happy about this you know."

Scarlet nodded.

"I know but once he sees how we are he'll be fine."

Noel nodded. He hadn't even nervous about meeting a partners parents since he was a teenager. What the fuck was this? His stomach lurched nervously as Scarlet led him by the hand into the living room. A big, handsome, strong guy with Scarlet's smile was having a playful argument with a very beautiful, glamorous woman seated in her chair reading. She was dark haired but had the same enchanting green eyes as her daughter.

They both looked towards him expectantly and Scarlet cleared her throat.

"Noel. These are my parents Liv and Stuart."

Stuart's eyes flicked between his daughter and Noel with interest. He took Noel's hand. Liv stood and surveyed Noel with interest and her brow quirked at Scarlet as she kissed his cheek in a warm greeting.

"Frank's coming too. Tea?"

Noel nodded and Scarlet made to make tea but her mother stopped her.

"Oh no darling not when you've brought guests. Be a dear won't you?"

Stuart nodded.

"Scarlet doesn't tell us about any friends she makes." She said meaningfully.

Scarlet rolled her eyes.

"I can't especially if I make them at work." She replied reasonably.

"Are you hungry?" Asked Liv looking towards Noel.

He shook his head.

"No thank you. I ate at me mam's."

Liv nodded curtly.

Frank walked through and Liv went to embrace him.

"Oh Frankie baby. Those knees have taken ten years off you."

Scarlet looked at Noel pleadingly and Noel grinned. They both had completely insane women for mothers. Very different but equally strong headed.

Frank blushed and looked genuinely abashed.

"I wish you'd told me we'd have guests look at this mess?" Said Liv gesturing to the Christnas decorations half taken down.

"I'll get it cleared up mam don't worry."

"I'll help." Said Noel automatically.

Scarlet raised her brows.

"Aren't you afraid you'll get Christnas all over you?"

Noel smiled and ruffled the tinsel on her hair.

"Nah you're already wearing it all."

Noel and Scarlet cleared up as Frank continued to read his paper.

"Noel. I'm glad you're here, but why are you here?" She whispered quietly.

Noel looked at her intently stopping wrappeing the lights around his hand.

"Because I missed you. Because I wanted to see you."

Scarlet flushed beneath his intense gaze.

"I missed you too. I was thinking about you all over Christmas but then I didn't want to try and make you talk about it and-"

Noel impulsively leant forwards and pressed his lips against hers lightly stopping her mouth.

He pulled back and Scarlet smiled slowly feeling her heart flutter. Oh no.

"I just...I needed you to know something. To be sure. This whole time we've been together these past few months I hope you haven't been thinking I've been keeping you a secret."

Scarlet shook her head.

"Of course not. It's just complicated. I get it. Everything with the kids and Sara. It's a lot. I never expected anything from you."

Noel nodded.

"I know. But look she's ready to go public with it and...I'm not afraid to be seen with you if you're alright with it."

Scarlet frowned as she felt her heart pound.

"Like...as a girlfriend?"

Noel chuckled.

"Yeah. I mean maybe I might be a bit old for you to call me your boyfriend but I wouldn't mind if you did. I really like you Scarlet. I just don't want you to feel or think like this is a casual thing between us because it's not. You feel it too don't you?"

Scarlet nodded in dumbfounded silence. She had never expected for Noel to want to take things further. Label what they were. This was the most stable and happy she'd ever been in a relationship. What was stopping her? Um the fact this is all going to blow up in your face? The fact you have a job offer in LA you haven't told anyone about?

"I do. And I like you too. But Noel...if things get bad again...I can't make you a promise-"

Noel gently touched her cheek and she leant into his calloused fingers.

"I'm not asking for a promise. I can't make you one either. No one can. I mean I could go out and get hit by a bus tomorrow. How is it any different?"

Scarlet sighed.

"Because we both know a bus is coming for me. I can't get more serious with you... it wouldnt be fair."

Noel looked at her intently.

"And until it does we live our lives like everybody else. Everybody has a bus coming for them they just don't know what it is. I know what I'm getting myself in for and so do you. You know me. You know all the stuff that comes with me. Not giving this a real try isn't fair. There's something here between us. I feel it. I'm not letting it pass me by. Not now."

Scarlet exhaled shakily. He was serious. There was something between them. Something beautiful and rare. A true connection with no expectations other than making the other happy. And she would be stupid to deny her chance at happiness. Of feeling truly alive. For anything.

She leant forwards and embraced him fully. Feeling him right through to the bones of him. Breathing him in deeply letting him leave a stain on her memory and soul.

"Alright then. Let's try." She whispered into his shoulder.

Noel held her back firmly rejoicing in the familiar warmth and comfort she brought him. It was like coming home after a long tour. He'd never had that feeling with anyone. He guessed it was because he'd never been that honest with anyone except Scarlet. She knew him. Truly knew him. Knew all his faults and yet here she was holding onto him.

Scarlet glanced up to see Frank wiping his eyes discreetly as he continued to pretend to read his paper respectfully. She smiled. Maybe everything would work out.

They ate dinner together. As a strange, chaotic family unit. It was nice. Really nice.

Frank and Noel had to get back but Scarlet's heart tugged. No. He had to stay.

"I'll take you home. Stay."

Noel hesitated and looked at Frank.

He nodded his approval.

Scarlet saw Frank out and he smiled at her gently.

"Good for you. I really am sorry about these past few weeks. It wasn't any of my business but I just didn't know...it was serious...and I'm glad it is. I'm happy for you."

Scarlet swallowed the lump of emotion in her throat.

"Yeah?"

Frank nodded.

"He's a good man. Like I said. C'mere." He embraced her fully.

"So is this like you approving us?"

Frank chuckled.

"Not that you ever needed it but yeah. You've softened. He makes you soft. I was worried about you. So cynical about everything. I'm glad you've got one thing you can be soft about."

Scarlet pulled back and grimaced.

"I hate it. He's turned me into a right soft bastard. The kind I used to make fun of."

Frank laughed.

"It's normal. Enjoy it. And yiure still a moody bastard to be fair."

Scarlet shoved him playfully.

"Away home to that long suffering wife of yours."

Frank nodded and gave her a wave over her shoulder.

Scarlet smiled softly at she looked at her dad proudly rifling through his record collection as Noel conversed with him naturally. This was nice.

Liv gave Scarlet a pointed look.

"Way to spring your secret celebrity boyfriend on us." She said with a teasing wink.

Scarlet flushed slightly and shrugged.

"I'm not really sure what's going on-"

"You're happy. That's all we ever wanted. Plus we missed the disapproving of boys you brought home as a teenager era."

Scarlet chuckled.

"So you're doing it now?"

Liv laughed and brushed her daughter's cheek gently.

"Yes. But he seems good for you. I mean that."

Scarlet nodded.

Things were changing. And it had all been because of Noel. He smiled over at her and she felt that fluttery feeling in her chest again. Oh no. She was falling deeper.

Scarlet passed Noel a t-shirt as she got ready for bed in her teenage bedroom that still had everything the exact way she'd left it. Noel surveyed the wall with a smile taking in all the posters of 2000's pop stars. There was sketches she'd drawn intermingled.

Noel had noticed pictures of her as a kid in the hallway. Riding her bike with a look of determination on her face that she still had. But there were none beyond childhood and he knew why.

Noel changed into the shirt she'd given him. It was a huge my chemical romance one. He laughed.

"Wow. How did you ever fit in this?" He asked.

Scarlet smiled sadly.

"I was so thin because I was so ill and I didn't want people to see."

Noel's eyes softened on her. She went to her desk drawer and there was a small Polaroid she held in her hand.

"I kept one picture from then. It makes me feel sick looking at it but I can't ever bring myself to throw it away. This was still me. Even though it doesn't feel like it."

Noel took the picture gently. He knew how much it had taken her to show him. Noel swallowed thickly. She looked so small, so vulnerable. Her eyes were hollowed and tired but still sparkling green. Her hair was black and swept across her face hiding it partially. He was overcome with an overwhelming need to hold her tight and never let her go. If she...hadn't made it his life would be completely different now. He would still be the way he was when they'd first met. He was so thankful to whatever force had brought her into his life. The same one that had kept her heart beating. Noel held her too him exhaling slowly. He inhaled the smell of her fruity shampoo from the top of her head and pressed his lips against her soft hair lightly. Her arms wrapped around his waist tight. Safe, warm, home.

Scarlet melted into his comforting touch letting his warm smoky scent fill her nostrils.

"You're alright." He said comfortingly as he rubbed her back slowly.

Scarlet nodded against his chest. She was.

"Let's go to bed." She said softly.

Noel parted from her and he let her shuffle in first as she pulled back the duvet for him letting him in beside her.

Noel held her from behind as he rejoiced in feeling her body against his after weeks. He'd missed her in his bed. And not just in a sexual way. And that meant trouble.

"You're the first boy I've ever had in here."

Noel chuckled.

"Bit old to be a boy but I'm honoured."

Scarlet turned around in his arms so she could look at him. She gently traced her fingers around the crinkles at his eyes.

"It's only your eyes that give you away."

"You didn't miss much. Teenage sex is very awkward."

Scarlet smiled sadly.

"I just had that in my mid-twenties instead."

Noel sighed sadly.

"If I'd known you then it would have been different."

Scarlet smiled.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. I'd have at least tried to make it special. Our first time was special."

Scarlet pulled him close and kissed him gently.

"It was. And all the times after."

Noel flushed boyishly and Scarket grinned.

"It's so cute when you blush like that. You hardly do it."

Noel rolled his eyes.

"I don't wanna be cute. I only do it around you."

Scarlet smiled proudly and rolled him onto his back as she lay on top of him. She kissed him firmly. She heard him give a small sigh of relief as their tongues danced together. She smiled into the kiss as she felt his boy respond to her. She would never tire of doing this with him.

"I missed you." She whispered as she pressed feather light kisses along his jaw.

He exhaled shakily.

"You've no idea how much."

Noel slid his hands beneath her shirt feeling her skin beneath his hands.

"Your parents are next door. We'll have to be quiet. I don't want them thinking badly of me." He warned.

Scarlet grinned.

"They're delighted. They'll be glad of finally getting to tell me off for letting strange men in my bed. It's all they've ever wanted."

Noel smiled. He'd taken his relatively normal teenage milestones for granted. Scarlet was still only experiencing some of them now. He was aware of that and held and kissedbher even more tenderly as they lost themselves in pleasure.

Scarlet knew this was the happiest she'd ever been. Being with him. But that Noel would be so angry with her if she didn't fly out to LA to at least try this new post she'd been offered. She didn't know what to do. She didn't want to lose this feeling. She didn't want to lose him. She held him tighter . She wouldn't think about it tonight. Tonight there was only this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107K 1.7K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...
40.7K 954 56
Sally , Liam and Noel met when She moved in to the neighbourhood. They clicked instantly. At first Liam and Sally were friends with benefits although...
11.3K 561 39
Riley has been single for over 4 years. By choice. Great family, good friends and happy with her career as a Thoracic Nurse Practitioner. But when he...
3.8K 185 23
It's 1987 and Maggie Mitchell is your designated, unfriendly, neighbourhood "goth girl". And when that neighbourhood is the council estate of Burnage...