Our Bonds (A Kantai Collectio...

By Tamayako

Being an Admiral sounds fun but it is definitely not easy. First there is the war with the mysterious Abyssal... More

Chapter 0: Prologue
Chapter 1: An Almost Typical Day in the District
Chapter 2: Beginning to Feel Weird
Chapter 3: Something Normal
Chapter 4: Nightmares?
Chapter 5: A New Threat
Chapter 6: Great, More Enemies
Chapter 7: Captured by Scary People (Zuihou POV)
Chapter 8: Team Meeting (Enterprise POV)
Chapter 9 Saving CVL Zuihou (Preparations)
Chapter 10: Saving CVL Zuihou
Chapter 11: The Small Dreadnought Battleship
Chapter 12: Something Worth Fighting For (Prinz Eugen POV)
Chapter 13: Self-control and Remembrance
Chapter 14: Another Day's work but with Sirens
Chapter 15: Physical Examination
Chapter 16: Attack on Brunei
Chapter 17: Questions Answered (Sort of)
Chapter 18: An Impromptu Date
Chapter B: A Distant Past
Chapter 19: A Night Activity and A Skewed Reason
Chapter 20: Birthday 06/19
Chapter 21: First Joint Op (AL Commander POV)
Chapter 22: Troubling Mind
Chapter 23: Ironblood SOS
Chapter 24: Truth and Reconciliation
Chapter 25: On the Hill
Chapter 26: Stand Off
Chapter 27: All Paths Lead to Conflict
Chapter 28: Holdout
Chapter 29: Let Sleeping Dogs 'Lie'
Chapter 30: A Typical Beach Episode?
Chapter 31: Questions for Skewers
Chapter 32: Exercise #1
Chapter 33: Exercise #2 (Like taking Candy)
Chapter 34: That's it?
Chapter 35: Finals
Chapter 36: Work... What a Pain...
Chapter 37: A Pointless Argument (Spicy)
Chapter 38: A Long Overdue Discussion
Chapter 39: Friend
Chapter 40: Kill... and Capture
Chapter 41: Decisions Part 1
Chapter 42: Decision... Part 2
Chapter 43: Secret Rendezvous
Chapter 44: Jealousy
Chapter 45: Operation Pedestal
Chapter 46: Encounter and a Much Needed Upgrade
Chapter 47: Into the Night
Chapter 48: A Moment's Respite
Chapter 49: The Submarine Girl
Chapter 50: Encounter
Chapter 51: Deny
Chapter 52: Victorious
Chapter 53: Alive
Chapter 54: Rant
Chapter 55: Tsuki
Chapter 56: Advice
Chapter 58: 2nd Attempt
Chapter 59: Honourable Memory
Chapter 60: With Zuihou (Mature Warning R18)
Chapter 61: Chat
Chapter 62: Moving On (My Precious Treasure/Memory)
Chapter 63: Bath time Shenanigans
Chapter 64: Investigation (Part 1)
Chapter 65: Investigation (Part 2)
Chapter 66: The Crane's Favour
Chapter 67: The Crane's Plea
Chapter 68: Storm's End
Chapter 69: The Other Side of Distress
Chapter 70: In Between
Chapter 71: Lucky Ship
Chapter 72: Sister Chain Part 1
Chapter 73: Sister's Chain Part 2
Chapter 74: Crimson Protectors
Chapter 75: A Day of Rest
Chapter 76: Bonding with Zuihou (Mature Warning R18)
Chapter 77: A Short Walk
Chapter 78: Preliminary Planning
Chapter 79: Phone call
Chapter 80: A Regular Day... Right?
Chapter 81: What the Doggy Brought In
Chapter 82: In the midst of an Operation
Chapter 83: Encounter
Chapter 84: Under a Ring of Fire
Chapter 85: Preparations to Continue
Chapter 86: The Sun Priestess
Chapter 87: A Warm Night (Mature Warning R18)
Chapter 88: Liberation of the Central Solomon Sea

Chapter 57: A Visit to her Birth Place

79 5 0
By Tamayako

As I stood in front of the train station, four pigeons started fighting each other for some reason, scattering their feathers everywhere on this extremely windy day. Crazy birds. Of all days, it just has to be this beautiful morning where the early autumn wind decides to peak. I just saw an elementary schooler in a red hat being held on the spot for a minute or so, unable to move forward because of the strong wind. Her hair was blown backwards but she remained stoic as she fought against the wind. Only when the wind died down a little was she able to continue her journey. Apart from this ridiculous wind, the weather is great.

"Admiral~!" (Zuihou)

I looked for the source of that sweet and familiar voice. A girl in white blouse, brown plaid skirt, black leggings, and pink cardigan was running towards me. Her hair is tied into twintails, which bounced along with her little backpack as she ran.

Cute...

"Did you wait long?" (Zuihou)

On closer inspection, she is even wearing red-rimmed glasses, which increase her overall appeal. Glasses really are versatile.

"Admiral?" (Zuihou)

"Ah. Nope. Right on time. Nobody saw you right?"

Zuihou shook her head,

"Nope. I split up with Shouhou and went to a nearby public toilet to change my looks." (Zuihou)

"You changed into an entire different outfit?"

"Oh, no. I just changed my hairstyle, and put on some extra clothing. My other clothes are in the bag." (Zuihou)

Zuihou fiddled with her glasses and checked her tights.

"You look good in that."

I can see her blush. She is really a cute and beautiful girl.

"Th-thank you." (Zuihou)

"Let's go. I already got the tickets for the next train."

"Yes!" (Zuihou)

Just as promised, I gave everybody a week off from official duties. I even took three days off myself. Ooyodo is helping me hold down the fort. Despite telling me not to, I already credited three days off-in-lieu into her account as a token of appreciation. As promised, I'm bringing Zuihou on a date, which is more of a trip at this point, to Yokosuka Naval Base for some sightseeing and some activities. Yes, I know a military base isn't ideal for a date spot. Heck, you shouldn't even go therefor a date.

Since most of the girls are going on vacation today, Zuihou and I were able to blend inconspicuously. The plan was for me to leave first and head to Nishimaizuru station. There, I will wait for Zuihou, who was leaving with the other carriers an hour after I left. Standing in front of the station while my shipgirls passed me was bound to attract their attention. Some of them asked me where I was going and who was I waiting for. I managed to play it off by saying I'm waiting for my brother to pick me up. Zuihou, on the other hand, had a little more to deal with since she was with the rest. Seriously, Shouhou would make a good wingman and sister-in-law.

The whole journey would take almost half a day, around 4 and a half hours to be exact. We should be able to reach Yokosuka by 2pm with everything goes well. We will need to change a few trains though. Compared to Zuihou, I didn't bring any luggage with me, not even a change of clothes, save for underwear. I can always buy a change for clothes from the Uniqlo store there. I already did some research and booked a hotel.

Though it feels like I missed out something.

As we sat on the train, we talked and ate our snacks. I made sure there was no one familiar within our line-of-sight. At this timing, I doubt there is anyone we would know on this train. After a few hours and changing trains, we finally reached Yokosuka-chou station.

"Wow! We are here!" (Zuihou)

"Not yet. Do you want to go to the base now or tomorrow?"

"Now!" (Zuihou)

I stuck out my hand towards her,

"Then, let's go."

"Is that alright? Won't we be found out?" (Zuihou)

"No one will recognize us all the out here. We can have a date out in the open these two days. Of course, when we reach the base, we need to be incognito again."

"A date... It feels like we are a real couple." (Zuihou)

"We are a couple. Come on, let's go."

"Yeah!" (Zuihou)

Zuihou grabbed my hand as we made out way to the naval base, which is a mere twenty minute walk from the station.

Oh my god. I have already known this before but her hands are so smooth and soft! My hands are not sweaty, right?

"Speaking of which, will we be able to get in? I mean, we are technically civilians now." (Zuihou)

"I already spoke to Rondo. He has already the guards to let us in so long as we give our identification and say we are here on his orders."

"Are there going to be problems with that?" (ZUihou)

"I don't think so. So long as we don't draw any unnecessary attention to us, we should be fine."

We stopped by a Curry Place to have our lunch first, which was quite near the base. At the gate, the guards scramble to let us in after seeing my rank on my card. They didn't even check Zuihou's hull number, class and category. The guard commander wanted to deploy the entire unit to greet him but I stopped him before he can do so. We already attracted some unnecessary attention even before we stepped into the base.

"Wow! It's so nostalgic here." (Zuihou)

We made our way to the pier and walked along it until we reached the factory. Well, one of them. Zuihou's eyes glimmered as she stared at the factory building.

"It looks so different, but I can still recognize this place and feeling." (Zuihou)

"This factory building?"

She nodded,

"I was laid down and converted here. It took a little more than 5 years, but this is the place I was born." (Zuihou)

She placed both hands on her chest as she stared at the factory. I can see tears well up in her eyes. I can only imagine the memories she has about this place.

"Admiral," (Zuihou)

"Thank you. For bringing me back here." (Zuihou)

She looked at me and smiled.

"It feels great to be back in your homeland, doesn't it?"

"Yeah!" (Zuihou)

I want to protect that smile.

We continued our exploration around Yokosuka Naval Base. We met some shipgirls along the way and of course, they did question us why we are here. I just had to use Rondo's name and we are in the clear.

We reached the academy wing, the place I trained at before being posted to Maizuru. Originally a base of operations for the US personnel assigned here, it has since been converted into the IJN academy after all the American soldiers and officers were called back to their country during the start of the Abyssal war. There is a garden at the front, to sort of beautify the place, despite it being hell at the back.

"It's so pretty~" (Zuihou)

"Excuse me sir," (???)

As Zuihou pranced around the flower garden, someone called me out from behind. A young man stood behind me, staring at me with disdainful eyes. He had a buzzcut and was wearing a cadet's T-shirt. Just like how I was during my academy days. There is a huge scar on his face, running through his nose bridge.

"This is a restricted area. I don't know how you managed to get in, but this is not a place for couples to play around." (???)

"We are here on-"

The young man suddenly grabbed my arm,

"You need to leave. Now." (???)

Dude, chill out! I'm could throw you to the ground if I want to. But I'm not going to start a fight with some young punk on military ground.

"Admiral, what's wrong?" (Zuihou)

Zuihou went up to us, concerned about the situation,

"Sir, Ma'am, you need to leave this place immediately. This is military base, not a civilian playground. Wait, Admiral?" (???)

I broke free of his grip,

"A little hot-headed, aren't you?"

"What's going on here?" (Rondo)

"Grand Admiral." (???)

"Yo Rondo. Is this kid from your class?"

"How dare you address the Grand Admiral so nonchalantly?!" (???)

"He is right. You are in HQ now, so at least address me by my rank, just for the sake of it." (Rondo)

That guy has such a smug look on his face. He is going to be in for a surprise soon enough.

"That goes for you too, ensign Yakumo." (Rondo)

Oh. His name is Yakumo.

"This guy may not look at it, but this fellow is just one rank below me. He holds an Admiral rank." (Rondo)

"Oi... What do you mean I may not look like an admiral?

"Eh? That means..." (Yakumo)

"I'm the Admiral of Maizuru. Please to meet you, Ensign Yakumo. Here is my ID if you want some proof."

I flashed my ID card at him.

"An Admiral?!" (Yakumo)

I want to laugh at his surprised face and gaping mouth, but I have to maintain a certain level of professionalism here.

"This is my secretary ship, Zuihou."

"Nice to meet you." (Zuihou)

"We are here for a site inspection on Rondo's orders."

Although she is smiling, Zuihou is emitting a strong bloodlust at Yakumo.

"Ah... Um... I'm so sorry!" (Yakumo)

As he did a ninety-degree bow, Rondo gave Yakumo his punishment,

"I want an report about what happened, especially why you decided to resort to violence when you could just ask them for an identification. Didn't Admiral Hakuno taught you that? Or we do have to question him myself?" (Rondo)

"I'm sorry, sir! It's my fault. It won't happen again!" (Yakumo)

"He already apologized. So just drop it."

I almost feel sorry for him.

"No no. You got to drill such things onto them. Youngsters like him nowadays think they are so high and mighty just because they excel in something." (Rondo)

"Grand Admiral Rondo is right. This guy tried to hurt you. He should be punished!" (Zuihou)

Even Zuihou is pissed...

"I want the report in an hour. In my office." (Rondo)

"But sir, that is-" (Yakumo)

"Any complaints, Ensign?" (Rondo)

"No sir. I will get the report done in a hour!" (Yakumo)

"You better be. Now, get out of here." (Rondo)

We watched the frightened Ensign sprint off and disappear into the academy building.

"Site inspection? Really?" (Rondo)

"We are in civilian outfits. What other reason should I give?"

"Something more logical? Playing around in the garden isn't exactly what a normal person would call site inspection." (Rondo)

"Thanks for the assist. So, what's that guy's deal?"

"Yakumo? He just joined us two months ago but his performance is astounding for a cadet. Top of the cohort, even. He let that got to his head though." (Rondo)

"I see. Don't assign him to my base, alright?"

"I will do just that." (Rondo)

"Go to hell."

"I thought I had a familiar voice. Greetings, Admiral Keita. Hello, Zuihou." (???)

A tall, young but matured, and beautiful lady approached us. She was wearing a scarlet kimono, a dark hakama, and a matching tasuki. A ring sits comfortably on her left ring finger.

"Good afternoon, Houshou. Long time no see."

"Mama!" (Zuihou)

I watched as Zuihou ran forward to hug Houshou, who came to greet us.

Houshou was the world's first commissioned ship that was designed and built as an aircraft carrier. She is the mother of all carriers. Although it was for a brief period, she did come to Maizuru to help take care of Zuihou, who had just 'returned'.

"Long time no see, Zuihou. Are you doing well?" (Houshou)

"Yeah! I have a lot of things to tell you!" 9Zuihou)

Oi oi oi. Zuihou, what are you going to tell her?

"Houshou, are you alright to be up and about now?" (Rondo)

"Yeah. I'm fine. You worry too much, dear." (Houshou)

Oh, and I forgot to mention, she has been married to Rondo for about a year now.

"Mama, you are sick?" (Zuihou)

The way she says it really resembles a child.

"Just feeling a little nauseous and tired." (Rondo)

"You need to rest more." (Rondo)

"I'm fine. It's just a common symptom of pregnancy." (Houshou)

She rubbed her belly.

Wait, hold up.

"Huh?"

"Eh?" (Zuihou)

"You're pregnant?!"

"Ehhh??!! Really?!" (Zuihou)

"Yes. I'm in my first month of pregnancy!" (Houshou)

"Rondo, why didn't you share such a news with me?!"

"Congratulations, Mama!" (Zuihou)

"I didn't want to get any false hopes. The first trimester is the riskiest period of pregnancy." (Rondo)

"It will be alright, dear. Our baby will be strong." (Houshou)

"Houshou..." (Rondo)

Houshou hugged her husband,

"It's our baby. It will definitely be all right." (Houshou)

"Mmh. you're right. It is our child after all." (ROndo)

What a heart-warming sight. I'm sure Zuihou can agree with me on that, seeing as her eyes are glued to the same scene I'm watching.

With the sun about to set, we said our goodbyes to the couple and left. Only when there is some distance between us and the front gate then did we resume our hand-holding.

"A baby... I'm so happy for them." (Zuihou)

"Yeah. Let's wish them a safe delivery and a happy future ahead."

We made our way to the hotel which I had booked.

Or so I had thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 237 15
Humanity was isolated in the cold vacuum of space. Mankind had lost and was torn apart, all communications silent, their species on the brink of exti...
23.6K 356 47
A warship wakes up on sea floor with no memory of who she is, and she finds herself almost immediately in a hostile situation with people she doesn't...
137K 2.3K 59
Yamatomo Mazuhashi had finished his officers training course at Age 25 and promoted to Admiral at Age 26. At the Age of 26 he had been doing nothing...
8.4K 131 22
A kansumu aircraft carrier appeared in Yokosuka with papers from her factory. She has black hair in a ponytail and is from Taiho class, her name is K...