Taken

By SePtEmBeR_SaPpHiRe13

The human world isn't of any concern to Mallory anymore. High school dramas and Algebra tests are nothing com... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Epilogue

Chapter 22

85.5K 1.7K 145
By SePtEmBeR_SaPpHiRe13

Yes, it's... kinda been a long time. Buuut, not as long as before... so HA!

:D

Enjoy now.

Chapter 22

*Mallory*

            As I awoke the next day, my mind immediately strayed to thoughts of Luke, Ray, and of course, Kyle. Upon waking, I lifted my head drearily from my pillow, my eyes scanning the room for the Damiens hulking form.  I felt my stomach drop as the emptiness of the room slammed into me. I had hopped he would’ve at least been there when I had awoken.

            It took a few minutes to get me moving; I really wasn’t a morning person. Eventually, I stumbled out of bed and towards my closet. I dressed simply, throwing on plain white shorts and a blue tank top. I waste less than five minutes in the bathroom, taking care of the basics before leaving the room.

            Now that I was safe, warm and rested, I could really feel the difference shifting really had caused to my body. Slowly and thoroughly, I studied myself in the mirror. I observed my body over all, noticing that there did seem to be a new glow or shine to my skin. I had always been somewhat tan, but this was a more dusky and strong light golden color; it was kind of mesmerizing. I leaned in closer to the reflective material, now studying the new color of my eyes.

            I corrected myself mentally; they weren’t necessary a new color. However, now, there was a light gold ring that circled my light green orbs.

            “It adds to the beauty,” came Damien’s deep rumble. I wasn’t startled, so I didn’t jump. Strangely enough, I had heard his silent approach with what seemed to be new ears. Combine that with the new and improved functioning of my eyes, and I could consider myself super-woman.

            I met his eyes in the mirror, only now noticing the ring of gold that circled his eyes as well. My eyes rolled automatically while my lips begrudgingly tilted up into a small smile.

            “Thanks,” I mumbled. A smile lit up his face, making my breath rush out of me quietly. It had obviously not been as quite as I had thought, because it caused his lips to than curl into a smirk. I stuck my tongue at him childishly, making him chuckle in return. “Any news on Luke and Ray and… Kyle.” My worlds faltered some on Kyle’s name; I just couldn’t say it without flashbacks from the night before swallowing my mind and practically drowning my thoughts.

            He sobered up quickly and shook his head, making my hope drop some. With a sigh, he wrapped long arms around my waist and pulled me back into him.

            “They’ll be okay; Luke isn’t my beta just out of convenience.” His attempt at humor flew over my head as more worries swarmed about.

            “But he’s up against Kyle, his brother! Do you honestly think he could… kill him?” I choked out, turning to face him with worry scrawled all over my expression. He rubbed my back in a soothing matter.

            “I hope it doesn’t ever come to that, but if it does, I have faith that Luke will do what’s right.” I was about to argue more, but he continued on. “Now, come. I have something to show you.” I grew suspicious at the look in his eyes, that childish teasing that always worried me shining through.

            “Where exactly are you taking me?” I questioned hesitantly as he dragged me toward the stairs by my hand. He shot me a smile over his shoulder, but that was the only answer I got.

I whined and pestered the entire way to his car, even pouting a little in order to get what I wanted, but all my attempts failed. He would not budge in reveling just exactly where we were going; jerk.

“It’s a secret,” he said, grinning widely at me as he helped-well, more like forced me into his car. I set my glare right on him.

“Have I ever told you how much I hate surprises?” I grumbled, slumping and crossing my arms across my chest. He chuckled at my expression, making me scowl.

“I think you might have mentioned it once or twice.” And with that, he shut the door on my scowling face. He quickly drove away from the house, and the farther we got, the quicker my scowl and bad attitude disappeared.

This was the first time in weeks since my kidnaping that I was getting a true sense of some freedom; why should I let the fact that I had no clue as to where I was going affect the joy of being free? I decided I would spare Damian my wrath… just this once. I perked up and sat forward; ignoring the smirk Damian was wearing.

Leaning forwards, I stared out the front windshield anxiously, curiosity now taking over. I didn’t recognize where we were, or where we were going, but I didn’t really mind. The feeling of freedom I was already gaining was enough to satisfy me for the moment. Twenty minutes later, we were just barely clearing the surrounding forest we had been driving through. In that time, I had counted only two other cars traveling in the opposite direction on the road we were traveling on.

“Are you taking me into civilization to murder me?” I asked Damien suddenly, honestly curious. “Because, that’s kind of backwards, don’t you think?” I pressed. The look he gave me was so dry; I expected sand to come pouring out of his eyes. “Yeesh, just wondering,” I mumbled. Shaking his head in amusement, he turned his eyes back to the road.

Five minutes later, I sat up straight suddenly as I started to recognize my surroundings. “I know that place,” I said, pointing to a rundown looking office. “And I went to school there!” I continued. Damien looked smug, until the next words came pouring out of my mouth.

“Oh my, you are taking me into civilization just to murder me!”

“Mallory!”

“Just kidding,” He didn’t look very amused. “Okay,” I started off slowly again about thirty seconds later. “If you’re not going to kill me,”

“Mallory!”

            “Then where are we going exactly?” I finish, ignoring his little outburst. He slyly looked at me out of the corner of his eye.

            “Well, I know life with you will never be boring.” He muttered while focusing back onto the road.

            “That doesn’t answer my question,” I grumbled. He answered with a chuckle; sexy yet still annoying. I turned my pouty fact towards my window, seeing familiar places pass by in a blur. I labeled them all as I saw them; the supermarket where I had always shopped, my mom’s favorite restaurant, the hospital where my siblings and I were born. I stretched my neck as that passed, feeling a closer connection to it.

            As we neared the middle of town, a certain place caught and held my attention. I felt my heart quicken as Damien slowed down and came to a halt outside the gates of the park. It was stiffly silent as I stared outside my window, taking in the all too familiar scenery. The memories came flooding back unnaturally fast and I was assaulted by them.

            My eyes scanned the old metal swing set, the rusty single slide, and the best part of the entire place; the tall, strong, looming trees that dominated most of the park. I imagined my eyes glazing over as I thought back to all the good times I had in this park. I had climbed half of those trees; slid down that slide more times than Einstein could count and that swing set… I wouldn’t even go there.

            After what seemed like forever, I slowly turned my head to face Damien. I was stunned at the dead serious, calculating look in his eyes as he studied me. He was silent and brooding.

            “Why did you bring me here?” I croaked, feeling the emotion pile up in my throat. He reached his hand across the consul, carefully cupping my cheek.

            “What does this park mean to you?” His voice was soft and firm when he asked, making it sounded even more meaningful.

            “Everything,” I said in a soft tone. He had locked my eyes on his and slowly released them as he climbed out of the truck. I looked out towards my window, blinking lightly. As he opened the door, I slowly stumbled out. The slight breeze that brushed by seemed to take my breath away, leaving me almost empty as it abandoned me to stand before the one spot that held so many beautiful but painful memories.
            My steps forward were short and slow, but I couldn’t seem to control my body at the moment. I was in a trance as the familiarity of the ground beckoned to me.

            Come, it seemed to say, come and relive the bitter sweet memories of the past.

            Damien didn’t try to stop me, and for that I was grateful. I was blissfully being swallowed by my memories, going willingly along for the ride as they dragged me into the past. I recalled scrapping my knee when I went flying off the swings, landing on my hands and knees. My leg throbbed slightly as I craned my head up to stare at the one tree in which I had fallen out of at one point, breaking my leg.

            I smiled sadly as my first memory of sliding down the slide overcame me.

            “Not too fast, okay daddy?” I said as strictly as a seven year old could, which I had to admit was pretty strict.

            He laughed, making me scowl lightly, which sobered him up. “Of course not sweetie,” I felt him place his hands on my back, preparing to push me down the slide for the first time. I gripped the side metal tighter, closing my eyes shut; I had always been an over dramatic child. “Open your eyes Mallory,” he said, laughing slightly at my theatrical ways. “You can always trust your father.” He promised his voice now serious and calm.

            Taking a deep breath, I implanted those words into my mind for forever and opened my eyes.

            I snapped back into the normal world with a gasp, my eyes flying open and instantly filling with tears. Damien’s concerned face suddenly filled my line of sight as he grabbed onto my shoulder with one hand and used the other to catch my escaping tears.

            “We don’t have to stay,” he quickly reassured me as he bent down to be eye level with me. “We can leave right now.” I shook my head quickly, drawing in a shaky breath in hopes to calm myself.

            “No… I can’t. There’s one thing I have to do.” My voice started out shaky but by the end of my sentence… it was still shaky. I watched his eyes as he studied my face before nodding slowly, still keeping his calculating gaze on my face.

            A trance once again overtook me as I walked around Damien, my steps slow but steady as I headed towards the back of the park.  There lied the one reason my family and I had never left this small town.

            Damien’s footfalls were silent behind me, but I knew he was following him, something I was glad for. The graveyard that lay just behind the park held most of my deep pain in life and was probably one of my most special places in the world; but I wanted him to experience it with me.

 We were mates and destined to be together forever, so why shouldn’t he see me at my most vulnerable moments? I didn’t know if seeing me like this would improve or ruin our relationship, but I couldn’t hide it for forever.

I followed the small path to the gates of the graveyard, feeling Damien following me. I stopped just before the imposing gates, rusted over and over come with brittle, green vines. I reached out, running my hand down the crusty iron. A small, fragile vine broke apart in my hands. It crumbled to dust as I closed my palm, seeping through my fingers and blowing away with the breeze.

I watched as the particles danced away, taking a deep breath. I shoved against the iron gates, using my new enhanced strength to break the tarnished padlock. The creek of the old gate made me wince, the sound seeming even more shrill and dangerous with my new, superior hearing.

Stepping through the gate, I let gaze scan the graveyard, my eyes sharp and focused. I took a few steps forwards, old, stale leaves crunching under my weight. I knew exactly where I was going, so my eyes stopped scanning as I walked directly towards his grave. I had put on a hard face as I walked towards the gates, but I could feel the expression start to crumble and break the closer I got to… my father’s grave.

I came to a halt before his stone, dropping to my knees as feelings of loss and pain slammed into me much like a freight train. I bowed my head as my hands curled into fists, true tears finally escaping me for the first time in years. I heard Damien shift restlessly behind me, but he made no move to approach me. In a way, I was glad he didn’t.

I was happy that he had come along, but I was the type of person who, when breaking down, didn’t like being around people.

It was a few minutes later that I calmed myself. My breathing was low and shallow, yet still loud enough to echo around us. I lifted my head, making no attempt to remove the hair that had fallen into my eyes. I read his stone, remembering when I had gone with my mom to have it carved. The words on his stone would be forever imprinted into my memory.

Here Lies Liam Tessing; Loved Father and Husband, A Soul That Will Always Be Missed.

“Short and to the point,” I muttered out loud, something my mother had always said to me.

I had been to the cemetery many times in the past years, each time taking a new memory home with me to think over; but not this time. I had decided to moment Damien had pulled up that I would no longer allow myself to sit in the past.

I would no longer concern myself with holding onto the memories of the past; now, I was going to start making memories for the future.

With that in mind, I stood up, dusted my hands on my jeans and turned to Damien. We stared at each other for a moment before I flung myself into his arms. He didn’t seem to surprised and caught my easily.

“I’m ready,” I whispered, and I meant it. I was ready to move on, with him.

Aww, Mallory finally got some sense knocked into her. About time I'd say.

COMMENT,

FAN

VOTE

ANDDDDD... GO CHECK OUT MY NEW STORY CALLED 'HIS EXPERIMENT'

AND COMMENT!

~HoLi~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 74 38
Abby finally saved up enough money to start college. A college with co-ed dorms. There she meets Ryan, her gorgeous brown eyed roommate. But, there's...
25 8 8
Elise has a normal school life. Well, as normal a school life one can have being a child prodigy at a crazy fancy school. But then, things start goin...
13.5K 287 18
Sagelynn has always known that she's different. Why? Because she's been able to communicate with ghosts since she was 6 and view past lives since she...
4.4K 121 13
Iris was exactly what a lonely girl like I needed...until she started to become obsessive. I never knew ending an affair with an older woman would le...