World So Cold

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Laurey Brooks is a retired Hunter. Or, she was. The night before All Hallows Eve, tragedy strikes and Laurey... More

Aesthetic and Playlist
October 30, 2005
01. Pilot
02. Wendigo
03. Dead in the Water
04. Phantom Traveler
05. Bloody Mary
06. Skin
07. Home
08. Asylum
09. Scarecrow
10. Faith
11. Nightmare
12. Shadow
13. Hell House
14. Something Wicked
15. Provenance
16. Dead Man's Blood
17. Salvation
18. Devil's Trap
19. In My Time of Dying
20. Everybody Loves a Clown
21. Bloodlust
22. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
23. Simon Said
24. No Exit
25. The Usual Suspects
26. Crossroad Blues
27. Croatoan
28. Hunted
29. Playthings
30. Nightshifter
31. Houses of the Holy
32. Born Under a Bad Sign
33. Tall Tales
34. Roadkill
36. Hollywood Babylon
37. What Is and What Should Never Be
38. All Hell Breaks Loose (Part One)
39. All Hell Breaks Loose (Part Two)
40. The Magnificent Seven
41. The Kids Are Alright
42. Bad Day at Black Rock
43. Sin City
44. Bedtime Stories
45. Red Sky at Morning
46. Fresh Blood
47. A Very Supernatural Christmas

35. Heart

17 1 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA - INT. BAR - NIGHT

A young woman, Madison, was grabbing drinks with her friends. Her co-worker, Nate Mulligan, approached and said, "Hey, Maddie. Listen, I hate to pull you away, but I'm gonna need you to come back to the office with me."

"Really?" Madison asked as her friends began smirking.

"Yeah. Turns out I've gotta file those docs by midnight—"

"Midnight?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna need you to, um..." He saw that she was smiling. "This isn't working at all, is it?"

Madison laughed. "No, it's not, Nate."

"Listen, I've had a couple. I shouldn't really drive. Could you just give me a lift—"

"I already called you a cab." She smiled. "I'll see you in the morning." Nate smiled briefly, then gave up and walked away; Madison and her friends started cracking up.

"That happen a lot?" one of her friends asked.

"Only on the days that end with a "y"."

Still laughing, Madison scanned the room and suddenly saw a surly-looking man in a leather jacket. Seated at a table across the bar, he was watching her with a serious look on his face. She stopped smiling and looked uncomfortable.

"You okay?" a friend asked.

"Yeah," Madison replied. When she looked again, the man was gone. "I've gotta go."

STREET

Madison was walking quickly to her car. She heard a crashing noise behind her, but when she stopped, she saw nothing. She continued walking nervously to her car. Once she reached her car and drove away, the mysterious man immediately began following her, watching her leave.

INT. OFFICE BUILDING - MORNING

Madison was filling the coffee pot at the water cooler. She stopped suddenly, when she noticed blood on the door to Nate's office. She went to the door and pushed it open. A trail of blood on the rug led to the desk, where Nate was lying, dead. His entire chest had been ripped apart, leaving blood everywhere. Screaming, Madison dropped the coffee pot, shattering it to pieces.

INT. MORGUE

San and Laurey watched as the employee slid Nate's corpse from his compartment. Dean was keeping an eye on Jonathan.

"Here he is, Detective, the employee said. Nate had stitches running along his chest, stomach, shoulders, and throat.

"That's a pretty nasty bite," Sam noted.

"Mm-hmm."

"You know what bit him?" Laurey asked.

The employee averted her eyes. "I haven't quite determined that just yet."

"Come on, Doc," Sam begged. "Off the record."

"Okay, way, way off the record..."

"Sure."

"If I didn't know better, I'd say the guy was attacked by a wolf. But unless I know that the zoo is missing one of their lobos, I'm going with pit bull." She eyed them. "I like my job."

Sam chuckled. "Yeah, we hear you. One more thing. This guy –- was his heart missing?

"Yeah, how did you know that? I haven't even finished my report."

"Lucky guess," Sam and Laurey said.

INT. MOTEL ROOM

Dean was cleaning his guns as he said, "This lawyer guy the first heart-free corpse in town?"

Jonathan was sleeping on a bed.

"First man," Sam corrected. "Over the past year, several women have gone missing. Dead bodies all washed up later in the bay, too deteriorated to draw firm conclusions."

"But no hearts?"

"No hearts. They were all hookers working Hunter's Point. Now, cops are trying to keep things under wrap, but they're looking for a serial killer."

"And the lunar cycle?"

"Mm-hmm," Laurey hummed. "Yeah, month after month, all the murders happen in the week leading up to the full moon."

"Which is this week, right?"

"Hence the lawyer."

"Awesome."

"Dean, could you be a bigger geek about this?" Sam asked.

"I'm sorry, man, but what about "a human by day, a freak animal killing machine by moonlight" don't you understand? I mean, werewolves are badass. We haven't seen one since we were kids."

"Okay, Sparky. And you know what? After we kill it, we can go to Disneyland."

"You know what the best part about it is? We already know how to bring these suckers down." He held up a silver bullet. "One of these bad boys right to the heart. So, what's our next move?"

"Talk to the girl who found the body."

INT. MADISON'S APARTMENT

She let Sam, Laurey, holding her son, and Dean inside before saying, "I don't understand. I already gave my statement."

Laurey stared at Madison with a small frown, suddenly getting a flash of teeth and claws.

"Right, well, we just need to verify a few things," Sam told her.

"This is my neighbor, Glen. Glen, this is Detective..."

"Landis," Dean finished. "And Detective Dante and Conrad." He patted Sam and Laurey on the back.

Glen, a bearded man wearing a Mission Church T-shirt, stood. "Well, I guess I'll leave you to it."

"Okay. Thanks for the casserole," Madison said.

"Oh, how thoughtful," Dean muttered.

"Just call if you need anything," Glen said and they watched Glen leave.

"He's sweet. He came over to check on me. Have – have a seat," Madison offered.

They sat down at the kitchen table.

"You must be pretty shaken up. You were Nate Mulligan's assistant, right?" Sam asked.

"For two years, yeah."

"So, you knew all about him?" Dean questioned.

"Probably knew more about him than he did. Nate was..." she smiled, "he was nice."

"But?" Sam and Laurey pressed.

"Nothing, really. I – He had a few scotches in him, and he'd started hitting on anyone in a five-mile radius. You know the type." Sam and Laurey noticed Dean practically salivating over her.

"Yeah. I do, actually."

Dean's lecherous grin faded as he heard Sam and Laurey's tone, and he became serious. "Did, uh, did he have any enemies?"

"What do you mean? It sure looked like an animal attack."

"No, yeah, we're just covering all the bases," Dean told her. "Anyone that might have had a beef with him – a former client, an ex?"

Sam and Laurey noticed her think of somebody and asked, "What?"

"Well, this is embarrassing, but my ex-boyfriend, Kurt—" Madison trailed.

"Kurt have a last name?" Dean inquired.

"Mueller. After we broke up, he went kind of nuts. He's... well, he's kind of been stalking me. He got it in his head that something was going on between Nate and I. He showed up at my office."

"What happened?" Sam asked.

"Kurt got into it with Nate, threw a punch before security grabbed him. I was lucky to keep my job."

"When was the last time you saw Kurt?" Laurey questioned.

"A few nights ago. Actually, the night Nate died. We were all grabbing drinks at this bar, and Kurt showed up."

"And?"

"Nothing. It was ... like he was watching me. Then he was gone. To tell you the truth... he scares me."

EXT. APARTMENT

"So, what do you two think?" Dean said.

"Stalker ex-boyfriend?" Sam guessed. "He hates the boss. And he was there that night."

"Think he's our dog-faced boy?"

"Well, it's a theory."

"We've had worse."

"Yeah."

Laurey looked between the boys. "What do you say we pay Kurt a visit?"

"I do?" Jonathan asked.

"No, little one, you'll stay in the car where you're safe."

---

Inside the apartment, Madison heard something outside. She went to the window and, gasped, seeing Kurt watching her from the lawn. When she looked again, he was gone.

INT. KURT'S APARTMENT

Dean picked the lock and they entered. Jonathan stayed in the car. While they were looking through the kitchen, the point of view changed to that of an animal, watching them from the corner.

"Anything?" Sam and Laurey asked.

Dean closed the fridge. "No, nothing but leftovers and a six-pack."

"Check the freezer," Sam suggested. "Maybe there's some human hearts behind the Haagen-Dazs or something."

As Dean turned to the freezer, they heard a door open and close, followed by a crash outside. Dean and Laurey stepped out the sliding glass door onto the balcony. On the wall of the building, they noticed claw marks in the concrete wall sliding all the way down to the ground.

"Sam, come here!" Dean called and Sam joined them. "Check it out."

STREET

A policeman was walking around and heard a crash nearby. "Somebody there?"

There was an animal watching from the dumpster. It growled and jumped to attack the policeman as he approached.

From the apartment, Sam, Laurey and Dean hear a gunshot. They raced down to the street, only to find the policeman's body completely mauled.

"I'll call 911," Sam said.

Dean bent down to examine the corpse. "I'd say Kurt's looking more and more like our Cujo."

"Dean, if he's out here, we better check on Madison."

MADISON'S APARTMENT

The hunters knock on her front door. Across the hall, Glen opened his door to see the commotion. "What's going on?"

"Police business, Glen," Dean told him.

Madison answered the door. "What is it?"

Sam glanced at Glen. "Well, maybe we should talk privately."

INT. MADISON'S KITCHEN

She poured the hunters coffee.

"Has Kurt been here?" Sam asked.

"Not exactly," Madison replied.

"What exactly does "not exactly" mean?" Dean questioned.

"Well, he was outside last night. Just...looking. Just looking at me." The hunters exchanged a look. "Has he done something?"

"We're not really sure," Laurey said.

"It's probably nothing, but... we just don't wanna take any chances," Dean reasoned. "In fact, one of us should probably stay here with you? Just in case he stops by. Where does he work?"

"He owns a body shop," Madison told them.

"You mind grabbing that address for us?" She nodded and left the room. "Thanks."

"All right, you three go," Sam said. "I'll stay."

"Forget that. You go after the creepy ex. I'm gonna hang here with the hot chick."

"Dude, why do you always get to hang out with the girls?"

"'Cause I'm older. " Dean drank his coffee and smiled with satisfaction. Sam looked at him with incredulity and Laurey rolled her eyes.

"No, screw that. We settle this the old-fashioned way." Sam took the coffee cups and set them down, then raised his fist for Rock-Paper-Scissors. Dean played along, choosing scissors while Sam chose rock.

Jonathan watched with wide eyes and smiled.

Sam spoke with mock concern."Dean, always with the scissors." He slapped Dean on the shoulder.

"Shut up, shut up. Two out of three."

Sam sighed but they lifted their hands to play once more. Sam's rock once again beat Dean's scissors.

Dean, in frustration, yelled, "God!"

"Bundle up out there, all right? You too, Laurey."

Later that morning, Madison was checking through the mail while Sam watched from the kitchen table. He smiled uncomfortably at her.

"Um... do you wanna sit on the couch?" Madison asked.

"No. No, no. I'm okay," Sam replied.

"It's more comfortable."

"Ah, I'm fine."

She came back to the table with a basket of laundry. Dumping it onto the table, she began sorting through her underwear, pulling up a tiny lacy thong.

"You know, I think I will sit on the couch," Sam said and Madison smiled. Sam sat there awkwardly until his phone rang. He answered.

Dean said from the street, "Let me guess. You're sitting on her couch like a stiff, trying to think of something to say."

"Did you find Kurt?"

"No, he hasn't been at work all week. But because Laur and I are good, and I mean really, really good, we got a line on where he might be." He got into the car. "What's she wearing? Hey! Don't hit, Laurey!"

"Bye, Dean." He hung up.

Dean chuckled. "Oh, Sammy."

Laurey frowned. "You're unbelievable. You know that? There's a child present."

"You have no sense of fun." He glanced back. "Jonathan's asleep, Laur."

"Yeah, actually, I do. Still. Watch your words."

---

Madison came to sit by Sam on the couch. She turned on the TV to a soap opera. Sam made a face, visibly annoyed by the choice of programming.

"I saw that," Madison said.

"Saw what?" Sam asked.

Madison smiled. "Okay, this is the deal: my house, my TV. I never get to watch my show. So suck it up."

Later, after the credits had rolled, Sam was sitting forward on the couch, completely riveted.

"Wait, so, so, Kendall married Ethan's father, just to get back at him?" Sam said.

"Yup," Madison replied. "And now she's set to inherit all the casinos that were supposed to go to Ethan."

"What a bitch!" They laughed.

"Admit it, you're hooked."

"No, no, no, no, no, no. I wouldn't say I'm hooked." She giggled. "You know, can I ask you a question? It's – it's a little personal."

"You've seen my entire underwear collection. Go ahead."

Sam smiled and nodded. "Okay, um... well, you're – you're clearly smart. I mean, your house is full, is full of great books, you know? And you're independent..."

"Uh-huh."

"What were you doing with Kurt?"

Madisob said after a pause, "I don't know. I mean, it's not like he introduced himself, like, "Hi, I'm possessive and controlling and I like to punch people. Wanna be my girlfriend?"" They laughed.

"Yeah, well, I guess we all make mistakes."

"Yeah, well, mine's wanted by the police." She paused. "You wanna know why I stayed with him? Really?" He nodded. "I was too insecure to leave."

"I find that hard to believe. I mean, you don't really seem like the type."

"Yeah, well, some stuff happened. My life changed, I changed. For the better, I think."

"What happened?"

"Well, for one thing, I got mugged."

Sam, surprised, asked, "And that's supposed to be a good thing?"

Madison laughed. "I know, it sounds strange. And don't get me wrong, it rattled me. But – then it hit me. I could keep feeling sorry for myself, or I could take control of my life. I chose the latter. First thing I did was tell Kurt he had to go."

"Smart move."

"Apparently. Everything else just opened up, blossomed. It's all been wonderful, really." Sam shrugged. "What? Doesn't everybody think that being a victim of random violence is the best thing that ever happened to them?"

Sam laughed. "Yeah, not so much." He paused. "You're... unusual." His tone was awkward.

"Unusual, like..." she circled her finger, pointing to her head, meaning "crazy", "unusual?"

"No. No. No, no, no. Unusual, like... impressive." His tone was earnest.

"You think so?"

As Sam was about to answer, his phone rang. He smiled apologetically.

"Sorry," Sam apologized, answering. "Hey."

---

Dean, at a strip club said, "I found him."

"Good, don't take your eyes off him," San told him.

Dean, taking his eyes off the stripper, glanced at Kurt. He was sitting across the table, also watching the stripper. Dean looked back at the woman.

Laurey had taken Jonathan to get something to eat.

"Oh, yeah, my eyes are glued," Dean said. "Look, Sammy, I gotta let you go. I, uh, I don't wanna... don't wanna miss anything." He handed the stripper a dollar bill and hung up, smirking.

MADISON'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Madison joined Sam in the living room, while he watched the full moon from the window.

"So, um... I'm gonna turn in," Madison said.

"Okay, yeah," Sam replied. "Well, I'll be here."

"Okay."

"You know, if you hear anything, I mean if you wake up, just – just call out." He fidgeted awkwardly.

"Okay."

"Okay." She smiled uncomfortably and went into her bedroom. Sam sighed, frustrated with himself.

LATER

Sam was watching TV. "3:10 to Yuma", a 1957 Western in the living room. He glanced at Madison's bedroom, but there was no movement.

---

Meanwhile, Dean and Laurey were standing on the street outside Kurt's house. Jonathan was sleeping in the car. They saw a light turn on inside the house and got their guns ready. Suddenly, they heard glass shattering. They looked back up to see the lights off in the house.

"What the—?" Dean and Laurey began.

Dean and Laurey ran to the house and burst through the door. Entering one of the rooms, they saw a woman hovering over Kurt's mauled body. She turned towards them. It was Madison, and she was a werewolf. Though she still looked human, her eyes had turned an electric blue, her teeth had turned to bloody fangs, and she had long claws. She growled and ran at Dean and Laurey, pushing them into the wall. He cut her arm with his knife – she growled in pain, and ran out the open window.

Dean helped Laurey up and asked, "You okay?"

Laurey nodded. "Yeah. Are you?"

"Yeah."

"I saw this, Dean."

"And you didn't say anything?"

"I didn't want to scare you guys. I'm... I'm sorry."

"I get it, Laur."

"I feel bad for Sam."

"Why?"

"He clearly likes her. And now with this..."

SUNRISE

Sam was still at Madison's apartment, awake, and getting a glass of water. He answered his ringing phone.

"Dean, you, Laurey and Jonathan okay?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, now that we're conscious," Dean replied. "The werewolf knocked us out. Sam, it's Madison."

"What?"

"Yeah, awesome job of keeping an eye on her."

Sam entered Madison's bedroom to see that she was sound asleep, apparently naked, in bed.

"Dean, I've been here the whole time. She's in bed, asleep."

"Well, she wasn't an hour ago," Laurey said. "Check her right arm below her elbow. Dean nicked her with a silver knife."

He hung up. Madison rolled over and woke, noticing Sam.

"Morning," Madison greeted as she sat up and noticed that she was naked, covered only by her bed sheets. Sam saw the wound on her arm. "Um... where are my pajamas?" Sam, upset, left the bedroom. "Sam? What's going on? Where are you going?" She jumped out of bed, wrapping the comforter around her, and followed him to the living room, where he was locking the front door.

"I'm not going anywhere. And neither are you."

LATER

Madison was seated in a chair, with her wrists bound. Sam was standing in front of her, holding a gun.

"You're psychotic," Madison said. "The whole "I'm a cop" trip – God, I am so stupid."

"Well, I guess neither of us are who we said we were, huh?" Sam shot back.

"Sam, you're sick, okay? You're imagining things. Monsters don't exist, not really."

"You know what? Save the act."

Madison began crying. "It's not an act! I am not a werewolf! There's no such thing! It's made up, all right? Th–They're not real! You know they're not real!"

"No?!" He pointed to her wound. "Then where did that come from?"

"I don't know! Sam, God, you need help. Please, don't do something that you're gonna regret. I'm not what you think I am. I'm not."

Sam, visibly upset, heard knocking at the door. He opened it to see Dean and Laurey, holding her son, who was making animal noises to entertain himself, who entered and the former smirked at Madison.

"How you doin'?" Dean asked. "Our heads feels great, thanks."

"We've gotta talk," Sam told them, bringing Dean and Laurey into another room. "She says she has no idea what I'm talking about."

"She's lying."

"Or maybe she really doesn't know she's changing, you know? Maybe – maybe when the creature takes over, she blacks out."

Dean said in a deadpan tone, "Like a really hot Incredible Hulk. Come on, dude, she ganked her boss and her ex-boyfriend. That doesn't sound rash and unconscious."

"Yeah, but what if it was, Dean? I mean, what if some animal part of her brain saw both those guys as threats? Hell, the cop, too."

"What are you, the Dog Whisperer now?"

"Look, man, I just... I don't know, there, there, there was something in her eyes."

"Yeah, she's killing people!" Laurey exclaimed as she pulled out a feel-the-animal book for Jonathan.

"But if she has no control over it—"

Dean cut him off. "Exactly. She can't control it. Even if she's telling the truth, it's not gonna change anything."

"I'm not putting a bullet through some girl's chest who has no idea what's happening."

"Sam, she's a monster, and you're feeling sorry for her?"

"Maybe I understand her." He paused. "Look, there might be another way we can get the job done without having to waste her."

"Are you thinking what I think you're thinking?"

Sam flipped through the journal. "Dad's theory – "lycanthropy might have a cure if you kill the werewolf who bit you, severing the bloodline"."

"MIGHT have a cure. Meaning "who the hell knows?""

"It's worth a shot."

"We don't even know where to start looking, all right? I mean, the puppy that bit her could be anyone, anywhere. It could've been years ago."

Sam realized something. "No. I don't think so." He led Dean and Laurey back to the living room, where Madison was still seated. Jonathan was focused on his book. "Madison, when were you mugged?" She didn't want to answer, just looking at him. "Please. It's important, all right? Just answer the question."

"About a month ago," Madison replied.

"Did you see the guy?"

"No. He grabbed me from behind."

"Did he bite you?"

Madison asked after a pause, "How did you know that?"

"Where?"

"On, on the back of my neck." Sam showed her that he was setting his gun down, and went behind her, gently brushing her hair away and exposing a scarred lump the size of a golf ball on her neck.

"Oh, that's just a love bite," Dean said. "Believe me, that could have been a lot worse. Where were you at the time?"

"Walking home from a friend's loft."

"Let me guess. Not too far from Hunter's Point?" Sam said and Madison nodded.

Sam, Laurey and Dean were back in the other room. Sam closed the door and turned to face Dean and Laurey.

"The same place where those other murders happened," Sam said. "I'm telling you two, it's a werewolf's hunting grounds."

"Maybe," Dean replied, "but that doesn't mean it's gonna be out there tonight."

"It's the right time of the lunar cycle. Look, I know it's a long shot."

"Hey, you're forgetting something. Maddie's probably gonna turn soon, all right? We can't just let her take off to an all-you-can-eat buffet."

"I'll stay with her."

"And if she busts loose?" Laurey asked, getting no response. "Sam?"

"I'll do it."

"Sam," Dean called.

"I'll shoot her, all right? But Dean, I need you and Laurey to go out there. At least go look for the thing. Dean, Laurey, please. We can save this girl."

Dean, after a pause, realized that Sam was feeling more intensely than usual. "Fine. Come on, Laur. Come on, Jonathan."

Sam nodded.

Dean and Laurey, who picked up her son, left the apartment. Sam rejoined Madison, who was still crying.

"Please. Just let me go," Madison begged.

Sam looked at her sympathetically and pulled up a chair to sit in front of her before saying, "Look... I know you're scared. I also know that there's no way in hell you're gonna believe me. But I'm doing this because I'm trying to help you. I'm not gonna lie, all right, the odds aren't exactly in our favor. But if this goes the way I pray it does... I'll untie you, and I'll walk out that door, and I'll never come back. You'll live the rest of your life. And I'll just be a bad memory." Sam was emotional and tearful, as was Madison.

NIGHT

HUNTER'S POINT - NIGHT

A woman, clearly a hooker, was walking the dark street alone. She stopped when she heard an animal howling and looked nervous.

MADISON'S APARTMENT

Sam was watching the full moon while Madison sat in the chair. Suddenly, her fingernails grew, stretching into claws. Her eyes turned bright blue and she bared her fangs. Sam turned just as she broke loose from the chair. She knocked him to the ground, but he quickly got up, aiming his gun.

HUNTER'S POINT

The hooker was running down the street when suddenly, she came face-to-face with the animal. The animal chased her down the street.

MADISON'S APARTMENT

Sam kept his gun aimed at Madison. Just as she lunged at him, he moved out of the way, forcing her into her bedroom. He moved the entertainment center in front of the door, trapping her inside.

HUNTER'S POINT

The werewolf caught up with the hooker, dragging her screaming across the pavement.

"Hey!" Dean and Laurey yelled.

The werewolf looked up just as Dean and Laurey shot him, both three times in the chest. The werewolf was Madison's neighbor, Glen. The woman stood, frightened, and glanced at Dean and Laurey before running away.

"Hey, don't mention it!" Dean said.

Laurey glanced at him. "You can't blame the girl."

Dean crouched next to Glen, who was coughing and choking. His mouth was covered in blood. After a moment, his fangs retracted, and he returned to normal.

"It happened... again," Glen said. "Where am I? H–help me. Oh, God. Oh my God." He coughed.

"All right, easy, Glen. Just take it easy," Dean told him as he and Laurey watched as Glen died, his eyes glazing over.

MADISON'S APARTMENT - MORNING

Madison woke up in her clothes as Sam opened the bedroom door.

"It should be over now. You'll never see me again," Sam told her.

Standing, Madison surveyed the bedroom. Furniture was overturned, and there were claw marks covering every inch of the walls. When she turnd around, Sam was gone.

INT. IMPALA

The four were parked outside Madison's building.

"It was sort of sad, actually," Dean said. "Glen had no clue what was going on. Hey, why do you think he turned Madison instead of just killing her in the first place?"

"I don't know," Sam admitted. "I mean, he kind of seemed to have a thing for her."

"Maybe his primal instinct did, too. Maybe he was looking for a little, uh, hot breeding action."

"Yeah. Something like that."

"So?"

"So what?"

"Speaking of Madison...?"

"Oh, whatever."

"Don't "whatever" me, man, you liked her. Maybe, uh—"

"Dean, she thought I was a stark-raving lunatic."

"You saved her life," Laurey said.

"Yeah, but she doesn't know that."

Madison appeared at the window and said, "You know, for a stake-out, your car's a bit conspicuous. What are you still doing here?"

"Honestly? Uh, we're pretty sure you're not gonna turn tonight, but we've gotta be a hundred percent, so... you know, we're... lurking?" Dean told her.

"I know this sounds crazy," Sam and Laurey added.

"Sure does," Madison agreed. "Well, if we're gonna wait it out... we might as well do it together."

MADISON'S APARTMENT

Madison let the four inside. "You were telling the truth, weren't you? About everything. What you did – it was to help me."

"Yeah," Sam said.

"I did all of those horrible things... when I turned."

"You didn't know."

Madison asked after a pause, "So, when will we know for sure? Moonrise?"

"No, I don't think so. You turned middle of the night last night. I think we've gotta hang in until sun-up."

Dean and Laurey had been watching Sam carefully. He gave a tiny nod and Laurey gave a small smile.

"Well, it looks like we've got ourselves a few hours to kill. Poker, anyone?" Dean suggested, seeing Jonathan standing in front of him. "What's up, bud?"

Jonathan pointed to the cow in his book. "Moo."

"That's right. The cow says moo."

"I wike moo-moos."

"They're cool, aren't they?"

"Yeah!" He turned to the sheep page. "Baa-baa. Fuffy."

"It is fluffy."

Jonathan held the book out to Dean. "Wead?"

Dean smiled. "Sure. I'll read to you." He took the book and set Jonathan on his lap, turning to the beginning of the book.

Laurey watched the two with a soft smile. As much as she wished it was her husband reading to Jonathan, she was glad Dean had begun taking on the stepfather role, though he wasn't such.

LATER

The four of them watched as the sun sank and the moon rose. Dean laid his gun on the table. Laurey was holding her sleeping son. Sam and Madison watched them from the couch.

"Oh, no, you guys talk," Dean said.

A few hours later, they watched from the window as the sun came up.

"Does – does this mean it worked?" Madison asked.

Sam, relieved, replied, "Yeah. I think so."

Madison sighed in relief. "Oh, God, thank you. Thank you so much." She gave Sam a hug. Dean cleared his throat, and they pulled away. Madison laughed. "You, too, Dean. And you as well, Laurey. Thank you."

"Aw, don't mention it," Dean said with an awkward pause. "So, Laurey, Jonathan and I are just gonna head back to the hotel and... watch some Pay-Per-View, or something." He and Laurey, still holding her sleeping son, left the apartment, pumping his fist in the air as he ledt while Laurey laughed at his behavior.

"That was smooth, heh."

"He means well, but..." Sam trailed.

"You mean, he thinks you're gonna get laid."

"Look, I—"

"It's okay."

"No. I know I scared the crap out of you, all right? I–I mean, I tied you to a chair."

"That's right up there with me scratching up your face."

"There's just no way... we could go back, you know? Before it happened."

"You're right. There's just no way."

Sam shook his head. Then, after a moment, Madison gave in and kissed him. Sam immediately responded, pushing her against the wall. They stripped each other of their clothing and make their way to the bedroom, falling back onto the bed. Throughout the night, they continued to make passionate love, letting go of all they had been holding back. Hours later, they fell asleep in each other's arms, completely content.

The full moon rose.

Sam woke up and looked around. He heard a growl and turned to see Madison, who had returned to her werewolf form, eyes blue and fangs bared. Before Sam could catch her, she jumped out the window, leaving him stunned.

MOTEL

Sam ran down the hall to Dean, Jonathan and Laurey's room, pounding on the door. Dean answered and Laurey joined his side.

Sam, breathless, said, "She – she turned."

"What?" Dean and Laurey asked.

"I couldn't grab her in time."

"We'll find her, Sammy."

EXT. MOTEL - DAY

Sam, Laurey, holding Jonathan, and Dean quickly came down the steps of the China Sea Motel.

"I already called Bobby," Sam said. "He doesn't know anything. Except he knew severing the bloodline wouldn't work. That's everyone. They all say it's impossible to reverse it."

"How come she didn't turn when we were with her?" Dean asked.

"Dean—"

"So, what, you put her to bed and then she wolfed out? Maybe she's gotta be asleep to turn."

"What the hell does it matter, Dean? Look, we've gotta find some way to help her, some legend we missed or something."

"If there was, don't you think someone we know would've known it?" Francesca reasoned.

"Well, then we have to look harder! Until we find something."

"Sammy, I don't think we've got a choice here anymore," Dean said.

"What?"

"I hate to say it. She's a sweet girl, but part of her is—"

"Evil?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah, that's what they say about me, Dean! So me you won't kill, but her you're just gonna blow away?" His phone rang and he answered.

Madison from a phone booth, called, "Sam?"

"Madison, where are you?"

"I don't – I don't – I don't know where I am."

"Well, do you see any street signs?"

"Um... yeah, yeah, Middle Point."

"All right, hold on, Maddie. We're coming to get you, just stay where you are."

MADISON'S APARTMENT

The five of them were in the living room. The gun was sitting on the table.

"I don't remember anything," Madison told them. "I probably killed someone last night. Didn't I?"

"There's no way to know yet," Dean said.

"Is there something else we can try to make it go away?"

"We'll find something," Sam replied. "I mean, there's gotta be some answer, somewhere."

"That's not entirely true," Dean said. "Madison, you deserve to know. We've scoured every source. There's just no cure."

Madison asked Sam, "Is – is he right?"

Choking up, Sam stood and turned away.

"Well, we could lock you up at night, but... you bust out, and some night you will, someone else dies," Laurey explained gently and paused. "I'm sorry. I am."

Madison cried and exhaled. "So, I guess that's all there is to it, then."

"Stop it. Don't talk like that," Sam told her.

"Sam, I don't wanna hurt anyone else. I don't wanna hurt you." She picked up one of the guns and brought it to him.

"Put that down."

"I can't do it myself. I need you to help me."

"Madison, no."

"Sam... I'm a monster."

"You don't have to be. We could find a way, all right? I can. I'm gonna save you."

Madison cried harder. "You tried. I know you tried. But this is all there is left. Help me, Sam. I want you to do it. I want it to be you."

"I can't."

"I don't wanna die. I don't. But I can't live like this. This is the way you can save me. Please. I'm asking you to save me."

Sam shook his head. Dean and Laurey walked over to them and Dean carefully took the gun from Madison. Sam walked to another room.

Sam was choking back tears. Dean and Laurey entered silently. Laurey set her son down, silently telling him to stay.

"Sam," Dean and Laurey said as the former held up the gun. "I'm sorry."

Sam, with tears in his eyes, replied, "No, you're right. She's right."

"Sammy, I got this one," Dean told him. "I'll do it."

"She asked me to."

"You don't have to."

Tears slid out of Sam's eyes. "Yes, I do. Please." He held his hand out for the gun, tears streaming down his face. Dean handed it to him. "Just wait here."

He glanced back at Dean and Laurey, shaking, tears streaming, before heading back to the living room. Dean and Laurey let a tear roll down their cheeks. Francesca wiped away the coming tears. They flinched as they heard a single gunshot from the next room and Laurey subconsciously grabbed Dean's hand to comfort herself. Jonathan ran up to his mother and hugged her legs tightly. Laurey picked him up and he cuddled her, looking afraid from the sound of the gunshot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

238K 5.7K 43
Andrea Sanders, legendary hunter, is the kind of legend that only the brave and stupid dare to whisper about at night. After ditching the foster syst...
6.7K 226 48
Shannon and Dean are trying to balance a life of hunting and raising their son. Several weeks into a hunt, his father goes missing and they recruit...
2.8K 101 52
Elizabeth, Beth, Anderson is rescued after years down under for a purpose she doesn't yet know. She is told to find one man and when she finds him, s...
18.5K 270 75
A father and his newborn daughter set on a quest of sorts to find his father. Along the way, they recruit his brother. Together, they travel the bac...