The Apprehension Between Twig...

By Lavender9

"To be popular at this school, there are a few requirements that are... required: 1: one must be rich and dre... More

The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 1
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 2
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 3
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 4
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 5
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 6
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 7
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 8
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 10
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 11
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 12
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 13
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 14
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 15
The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 16
Intermission

The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 9

889 35 1
By Lavender9

The Apprehension Between Twigs chapter 9

-

-

-

Courtney p.o.v

"Ashamed to introduce me, Benny?"

"N-no...Uh- Courtney, this is... Emmett, my brother..."

What? WHAT! "WHAT!" I shrieked, making both the boys cringe. I breathed in and out a few times to calm myself. "Since when do you have a brother," I continued on a much softer and calmer tone. Though I could feel my voice crack. "May I be excused?" I asked and both the boys nodded simultaneously. I took out my phone, an old one, still watching the boys with wide eyes. "Hello Gloria?"

"Yez hun?"

"I think I have to take the rest of the day off," I said bewildered. "I'll explain later."

"It's okay, hun" She agreed with her voice softer than normal. "Yow never had taken any sick day sow far. I'll see yow when yow get ready." I nodded, realised she couldn't see me and then greeted, before hanging up. 

"So, you two care to explain?" I asked harder than I intended. Emmett pulled up a chair and sat on it reversed. He looked a lot like Bennett, only his eyes were gray instead of blue. Also, Emmett's nose was a bit larger, and had once been broken, and his face was rougher. And Bennett had this softness that Emmett lacked. But he was hot...stupid good genes!

Bennett started. "It's a long story and I'm not sure if you want to hear it__" Emmett cut him off. 

"Oh, dear brother, the girl want to hear it. Unless you are ashamed?" It didn't sound really friendly and Bennett averted his eyes to the ground. "We're half-brothers. We share a dad but have different moms." I nodded and waited 'til he continued. "Our dad was married to his mom, but had an affair with mine." My muscles relaxed and I felt my facial expression soften. I pitied him a little bit, he spoke about it with such a cold and detached tone. "Don't look at me like that, I don't need your pity."

"I know but I can't help it!" I blurted out, making Emmett to raise an eyebrow and stared at me. 

"Anyway, we need to get going..." Bennett intervened and stood up. He hastily called a waiter and paid him on the spot, as fast as he could. Jeez, what;s up with him? "Where do you want to go?" He asked with a hint of pink on his cheeks. Aw, he's blushing again. I shrugged.

"How about we'll go shopping?" Emmett suggested and looked at Bennett. I really, really didn't want to go shopping. I have my own method of shopping and it takes a long, long time. First I think of what I need and then I stroll off every shop and compare everything before I buy. When I shop, I need at least a week, considering all the preparatory work. I fervently shake my head. 

"I don't want to go shopping," I objected. 

"You're a girl, what girl doesn't want to go shopping?" Emmett asked surprised. Bennett huffed something under his breath and Emmett turned to him. "Something to say, bother?" His face pulled into a condescending smile. 

"No...Yes, I mean...Courtney can choose," He mumbled and I smiled at him. 

"I wanna go bowling!" I happily exclaimed and Bennett and Emmett started laughing at me, hard. The entire teras looked our way, with angry and annoyed looks. Blood rushed to my face again as a few people started whispering and pointing our way. "Stop laughing you guys, it's embarrassing." They abruptly stopped and looked at each other, as if they didn't notice that they were laughing with each other. They stayed silent, leaving me awkwardly fondling with my napkin. 

"Lets bowl," Emmett decided eventually. 

~* ~

I love bowling, I love the smell, the atmosphere and the memories one makes while bowling. I think that the best friendships are made on a bowling-alley. However, in the case of the Devereaux-brothers- that's what I decided to call them- it was a competition. And not one of those friendly ones, but a full-on, face-to-face battle between archenemies. They showed off their skills and tried to make the other fail in the most childish ways. They made each other trip, called each other names and distracted themselves in the process. And the worst part is, I didn't even got the chance to throw a ball. 

"Can I throw now?" I whined, though I knew what the answer would be.

"No, it's my turn," Emmett huffed while Bennett threw a strike. He thrust his fist up in the air and ran over to us. 

"Courtney, did you see that?" He asked like a little puppy who just got a big bone. I laughed when I saw his widened eyes and huge grin. "A strike!"

"I saw, amazing," I chuckled and he smiled contently, but got distracted when something- or rather, somebody- took my hand and pulled me up. Emmett waited until I securely stood and then he adjusted my glasses with his face so close to mine, that I could feel his breath. His eyes had a mischievous glint to them as they momentarily glanced over to somewhere. 

"You can throw," He whispered husky and he picked out a ball for me. I thanked him while the blood rose to my cheeks and scurried over to the beginning of the alley. Suddenly, I could feel his body pressing onto mine while he took my hand. "You're holding it wrong." His breath warmed my skin as his lips touched my ear. It tickled as several butterflies made me shiver. It wasn't like when Bennett was as close though. That can be more described as lighting.

Emmett's hand enveloped mine. "O-oh, I d-did not know t-that," I stuttered, cursing myself that I did. He slowly pushed my hand with the ball, but another force pulled me away from him, making me drop the bowling ball.

"She doesn't need your help," He snapped at Emmett. I looked at him with big eyes and noticed his flustered expression and clenched jaw. He held my hand tightly and with no idea what electric bolts he sent through my body. But before I was able to enjoy it- I did enjoy Bennett's rare touches, although I wasn't keen on admitting it- Emmett pulled me away to him. 

"Maybe she does. Besides, I don't mind helping her," He smirked as Bennett grew redder and redder by the second. He pulled at my hand again, but Emmett didn't let go. Bennett glared at him with eyes filled with hate and... jealousy? Nah, probably not. "What's the matter, brother?"

"Let her go," Bennett hissed as Emmett jerked at my hand to pull me closer. Bennett didn't gave up and jerked at me. 

"G-guys, stop..." I tried but they ignored me. Instead, they continued pulling me back and fort like I was a toy they both wanted to play with and the profanities pierced now silent bowling. Everyone stared at us with wide eyes.

"You son of a bitch! Let her go!"

"Not if you won't, fucker!"

"Don't call me a fucker, man-wh__"

"ENOUGH!" I shouted and both boys stopped. "I just wanted to have a little fun, but guys ruined it! I'm going to wait outside. You two can apologise when you decide to grow up! God, you just ruined the entire day! Can't you just get along, I mean, Jeez... I can see you don't like each other, but to play tug-a-war with my body...  What's next, double-dutch with my guts?!" When I was done with my rant, I heaved heavily. I was seriously mad. 

"I-I'm sorry," Emmett said but I already turned around. As I marched towards the exit, I heard them calling for me, but I didn't stop. Hell no! They can work it out themselves, I'm not a pawn in a war. I don't know why they dislike each other, but I could've been seriously hurt. And to shout profanities in front of children, what were they thinking!

It has nothing to do with me.

~*~

After fifteen minutes and two levels (I was playing angry birds, blame me) Bennett and Emmett finally came around as they came outside, with guilt-ridden faces. They stopped right in front of me, with anticipation and fear. "We're sorry Courtney, we were acting childish," Bennett started and he ran his fingers though his silky hair, while biting his lip. I found that he did that when he was uncomfortable or frustrated. 

"I'll say," I snorted. 

"I...I mean, we usually don't do this," Emmett said. "You know, the apologising and asking for forgiveness, but... Uh- please forgive us?" I leaned back to look the boys in the face. They cringed as I raised my eyebrow. It's so hard to stay mad at them!

"Okay, I'll forgive you two," I sighed and my mouth pulled in a reluctant smile. "But no fighting when I'm around." Emmett smiled as Bennett chuckled. 

"We'll do it in our own time," Bennett laughed as he pulled me in a friendly hug. He looked over my head to Emmett, who was standing there awkwardly as he looked at us. 

"Get in here," I laughed and gestured for him to come over. He happily rushed to us and hugged me too, but made sure that he didn't come in contact with Bennett. What happened to these boys? Why do they hate each other this much? AND WHY WAS EMMETT GRINDING AGAINST ME?! "Emmett, what are you doing?"

"Nothing," He sang while he didn't stop. His muscles flexed and his chest rubbed against my back, completely unaware of the death-glares that Bennett sent him. "I'm just engulfing in your warmth." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Engulfing in my warmth? Seriously, what are you, a sappy romance-novel?" I laughed and he shrugged.

"Enough hugging," Bennett said and pushed me away from the pervert. "We need to get going." He looked for his car-keys, showed them to us and let them fall clumsily to the ground. 

"Where are you going? Are you going to Courtney's house? Can I come?" Emmett asked enthusiastically.  I opened my mouth, but before I could say anything, Bennett beat me to it.

"Courtney's house, yes and not a chance in hell," He replied emotionless. "So come on Courtney." He grabbed my hand and dragged me to his car, but when I turned around, Emmett looked at us like a lost child. I freed myself from Bennett's iron grip and ran to him. I stopped next to him and pulled his head towards me. I gently kissed his temple.

"Next time," I promised. His gray eyes looked into my green ones and he slowly nodded. "I'll force Bennett to make you come over, okay?" He nodded again, dazed and bewildered. I chuckled and ran back to Bennett, waving at him cheerfully. He waved back, still a bit unsure of what happened. 

"You shouldn't be nice to him," Bennett huffed when I reached the car. "He's an asshole and no good." I laughed.

"That sounds just like someone else who I met. But that was before I got to know him and then he turned out to be an absolute sweetheart." Bennett looked at me, a bit dismayed. 

"Who was he?" He asked, trying to sound indifferent. I chuckled when I got in the car. The leathery scent of the seats hit me as a ton of bricks. The interior of his Porsche cayenne was made out of black leather with the occasional brown patches. I liked the way car looked, even though the makers probably killed off ten cows -something Loka definitely would disapprove off- and turned them into something we sit on. 

"It was you, idiot," I teased while nudging him softly. 

"You think I'm a sweetheart?" He asked, starting the car with his eyebrows furrowed. I nodded convinced. Of course he was a sweetheart. "That's the first time anyone called me that."

"No way! You, but you're so...sweet. Like a puppy or a baby," I exlcaimed. Bennett muttered something under his breath. I couldn't quite understand but I did catch the words, 'not a puppy' and 'hopeless.' I chuckled at his childish ways. 

Yup, he was a real sweetheart.

~*~

I stepped out of the car, sighing at the whiff of fresh air that refreshed me. Leather-scent is nice but fresh air and a cool breeze are better. Bennett already started walking and closed the car with a remote of some sort. "Wait for me!" I jammered. 

"Walk faster," He shouted madly but didn't turn around. Jeez, what's gotten into him? He had been silent for the entire ride and when I asked him something, he'd only huffed something. Did I do anything wrong? Suddenly it hit me. He was following my advice. 

Well, it's for the better that he did. I might've hurt him too. At least he was sensible before it escalated. I shouldn't feel sad that he distanced himself from me, I should feel relieved. But why do I feel sad? Maybe it was because he never really voiced it. Maybe I was one of those girls who needed closure.

I fastened my pace to walk next to him. "Bennett, do you hate me?" I asked while looking up to him. My voice sounded too small as I waited for his answer. I felt tears burning behind my eyes, but prayed that they wouldn't fall. They couldn't fall. It would be right for him to hate me, to turn away from me. Suddenly, I felt a big, muscular arm wrapping itself around my shoulders. 

"Of course I don't hate you," He said. "How could I?" I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. What was I doing?! I should scold him, tell him to stay away from me. Bennett was already too close, I couldn't afford for him to go any closer. But I felt relieved, happy even. What in the world was wrong with me?! I was going to hurt him too.

We reached my house and I opened the door. Matt, my brother, his friends and mine were watching a movie, a romantic comedy by the sounds of it. Jenna was the first to spot us and she momentarily shot a flirty smile at Bennett. Bitch. "Hey guys, look who's back," She remarked happily. "Had fun?"

"If you can call work any fun," I answered, but got shushed immediately. Bennett walked over to the couch and fell to it, in the opposite corner. He motioned for me to come over, but lip-synced that I was going to put something else on. That meant, sweat pants and an oversized sweatshirt. Not really attractive, I know, but I can only exceed a certain amount of wearing girly clothes and I ecxeeded it a long time ago. 

I walked to the room, making sure that I didn't disturb anyone. I quickly put on my comfy-clothes as I like to call them and rushed back to the living-room. There I found that everyones face was still focused on the TV, except Jenna's. She was busy scooching over to Bennett, slowly and shyly. Her mouth whispered his name and caught Bennett's attention. They were so close, I just wanted to go and drag her away by her hair. And frankly after that moment, I wish I did.

Because she crashed her lips against his.

=============================================================================

Sorry for the slow updates, finals were a bitch. 

Live peacefully!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9M 651K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
152K 7.3K 49
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
4M 87.3K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...
13.1K 580 34
„You are the reason why I'm here today." _-_-_-_-_ After the truth about the relationship between Max Verstappen and Kelly Piquet came out, his world...