A Perfect Match

By AuthorKatherineRose

Welcome to 1926. The beginning of Hollywood. But for actress and petulant diva Victoria Singh--a woman who's... More

INTRODUCTION/AESTHETICS
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY TWO
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FOUR
TWENTY FIVE
TWENTY SIX
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
TWENTY NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY THREE
THIRTY FOUR
THIRTY FIVE
THIRTY SIX
THIRTY SEVEN
THIRTY EIGHT
THIRTY NINE
FORTY
AUTHOR'S NOTE

TEN

41 8 11
By AuthorKatherineRose

1923

Tonight was the night.

The night all my dreams were sure to come true after several interviews I had to do to finally get hired to work for the LA times—well, in the mailroom that is.

I couldn't wait to finally tell ToriBelle the grand news and hold her sexy body so close to mine like always, embracing her with the most satisfying night of her life.

The things that woman could make me do to her once I kept hearing her say my name in such sweet symphonic screams and whispers, consuming my ears with her soothing warm breath.

But not before I got to the main reason this date night would truly be unlike the rest.

Better than the times we spent hours exploring each other's limits and power. Better than the moments we watched a silent film together at a few picture palaces—dreaming of the day she would shine bright like the other stars when she became a rich and famous actress, and even better than us snuggling up together so perfectly before we wandered off into fantasyland together. Her gentle heart lays on my chest nicely and we forget all about the world and our problems—knowing how lost we'd like to get into each other's sparkling eyes while our two souls intertwine.

Yes tonight, I would finally do what I had been thinking about now for weeks after our first date.

I was gonna ask Victoria Singh to marry me.

I love her more than the air I breathed. More than myself. She'd make me the happiest man on earth. It would be the greatest honor of being her husband and wake up next to her every morning. She was the one. 

For right now however, I just had to wait until she arrived.

Though she was running a bit late.

That almost never happened whenever she knew we would be meeting up again. But she did have more things on her plate now since that talent scout reached out to her.

Parties, compliments, and promises he made that she could get by being under his wing. I went to all of the events of course with her, but some things she preferred to do on her own.

However my heart became full again, the moment the creek of the door opened to the private restaurant I had used the last of my illegal bootlegging money to use—along with the ten grand engagement ring in my back pocket.

And right before my very eyes, there she was.

Standing in front wearing a sexy sequined long red dress complimenting all her finest assets that I loved to touch my hands all around.

Her soft fair skin that almost looked so forbidden to even look at, her silky and sweet flapper hair that scented like delicious strawberries, and those plumped red marked lips...man, I'd like to make her mine right now.

But to my surprise, she looked rather less energetic and intuitive like always as she stared at me closely. I wonder what was eating her up.

"There's my shining star! Ah ToriBelle darlin', you've never looked more ravishing than you do now." I rushed over to her, kissing her back hand sweetly and pulling her waist closer to mine. But instead of a reply, she just concentrated on me with a slight concern in her gorgeous eyes that were usually gleaming. However at this moment...it was the exact opposite. She loved it when I did this to her. So, why wasn't she feeling it now?

"Is everything okay my love?" I inquired, becoming a bit baffled.

Sighing, she bit her bottom lip down shyly which was even more strange. 

If there was one thing I knew about Victoria Singh was that she never became shy. Even the first time we met, she surely knew how to take full charge and show me exactly what she wanted.

"This is very beautiful Danny..." She finally let out, looking around the area I had specially designed with her favorite red roses scattered throughout, dimly lit candles planted everywhere, and the whole atmosphere to ourselves.

"Well, you know me. I only want the best for the love of my life. Are you hungry too? I got a swell meal for us—your favorite even!" I grabbed her soft hands, leading her toward the elegant setup I made for our table in the center of the restaurant. The food was underneath a silver cover just so it didn't get too cold for her.

I had got it from our favorite local small—but the best joint in California.

Though shaking her head slowly, I could see something still was consuming her mind.

Maybe getting to the point of why we were here was too soon. I was just a bit nervous. I had never asked a woman to be my bride before. It was very unusual for me as well to be acting so tense.

"Alright, I'm itching to know. Tell me all about this Jackel James." I tried to grace up, with me helping her sit in her chair before taking my own.

She let out a slight snicker toward me. At least it was another reaction besides distance.

"Ya mean Jack Johnson?"

I nodded a bit shamefully. I was somewhat close. "But of course. He seemed very fond of you when we all met. Surely he's even nicer now that you've gotten to know the man better." I pointed out, sounding a bit bitter—but still supportive if it mattered so much to her.

From the looks of it, it was rather clear the man wasn't too fond of me however.

Any time I was even near them both, he'd always brush me off to the side like I meant little to nothing toward him when dealing with Victoria's 'plan'. He was a true businessman for sure from the diction of his voice, but there was still a level of decorum he could try to maintain when dealing with his potential client's other half.

We all wanted the same thing for her and her exceptional talent.

Judging by the many hours and restless nights we'd spent to help her learn the lines to this new movie role she could receive if she played her cards right—she was hungry for it too.

"Um...well, Danny ya have to keep in mind he knows how big my dreams are. He really knows what he's doing. He said he's worked with the greats like Colleen Moore, Gloria Swanson, and Renée Adorée! I mean, ya heard him back at the lounge. I could be a real big star if I work really hard!" She professed with such hope.

"Which you already are to me..."

"But that isn't enough. Now yes, I appreciate your love and support for me sweetie— especially after buying that beautiful gown for that party last night I was telling ya about. But sometimes ....I have to do even more just to get my foot in the door as still a woman of color, in this day and age." She carefully proceeded to explain.

"I know. I know." I agreed understandingly.

It wasn't a picnic for me either. Though I kinda didn't know why she was reminding me of this like I didn't. I was all for doing whatever she had to do to make it.

The way she could act always brought tears to my eyes. She was simply enchanting.

"That's what ya keep saying Danny. But let's be honest here. People who don't want to make it in showbiz don't truly know. If ya can though, I just need ya to see the further things one has to do to make their mark. And I know it's not the best way or even a good one, but in life...one is given no other choices. But I'm truly ashamed at how I handled it all more than you'll ever know." She now uttered, staring at me—in nearly tears of her own.

Okay, now I was really baffled. I'd never seen her cry before. She generally didn't.

What on earth was she talking about? Why did she look so sad and disappointed? What was going on that apparently I didn't see all of sudden?

"W-w-what are you talking about? Choices? What choices, Victoria? You're acting like you've done something-" I just had to get out. But staring at me full of panic and guilt in her eyes, the dark and dreary light of bad news in my head flipped on. "Oh my God...what did you do?" I demanded, with my voice starting to crack faintly while feeling my lips beginning to turn numb.

However, not uttering another word anymore and being wrapped into her fully breaking down as if she had just committed a serious and unforgiving sin...that's when I finally knew exactly what she had done. 

"I'm so sorry Danny. I promise I didn't want to hurt ya." She weakly let out bringing herself to hyperventilate sobs.

Oh no. No this couldn't be happening! Ashamed she should be. I was mortified.

"Victoria! Are you serious?! How could you do this to me?! To us?!" I snapped, jumping from my chair in pure heartbreak and shock.

I thought we were happy. I thought she loved me! I thought we were destined to be together always and forever!

But no...she had to do the worst thing I could ever imagine she could ever do.

"Please ya have to understand! I'm begging you! It was just a mistake! I swear!" She wailed harder, trying to grab my arm desperately before I jerked it away.

There were no excuses. There were no mistakes when it came to right and wrong. She knew more than anything how wrong this was.

This wasn't the woman I fell for.

"Clearly not if you think you had to do what you've done! I can't believe you! Why would you want to break me like this?! Did I do something wrong?! Did I ever give you any reason not to trust me?! No! But it's all about you, huh?!" I screamed with all the remorseful feelings I was experiencing all at once.

I promised her I'd never break her heart. But then to know she turned around and broke mine without any regrets...just made it all a terrifying nightmare I couldn't get out of.

It only made things worse that the ring I got her would never see daylight again.

Love wasn't something one could mess around with until they got it right.

There were days when I didn't think I'd be able to make it through from my past mistakes to feel it, but I didn't purposefully put myself in dire harm's way. Not once.

"Ya have to believe me Danny! I didn't mean it! I promise ya it wasn't anything like ya think, it meant nothing! I just thought if Jack wanted to at least flirt with me like I knew he kept doing whenever we were together, then perhaps-" She tried to justify.

"Perhaps then if it meant getting the job, why not?! Do you hear yourself right now?! You sound like the most selfish woman I've ever met in my life and you know it! You can't undo this." I warned, pacing back and forth still trying to make sense of what I was hearing.

"Please, don't do this Danny! I'm sorry! I promise, I've only ever loved ya and you know that! I'll do whatever it takes to make it right baby! Just let me! I had no choice!" She rushed up to me, trying to hold me tightly—but I didn't want her to.

Knowing another big shot man like Jack Johnson had already done so to her last night... it didn't feel like she was even mine anymore already.

It would never be the same. But it wouldn't be because of me.

"You always have a choice! You do! I do! Everyone does!" I replied, pushing myself away and farther back from her. "And if this is what you thought was right to make you a big famous star, then by all means don't let me keep apparently holding you back! You go on now and be a star! Just like you want!" I continued on, staring deeply into her furrow and dark eyes. She stood there shamefully doing the same, trying to remain strong for her personality but I could see right through it. She was deeply hurting too, but it didn't matter. She made her choice. "But just remember this. When you wake one day and realize you have no one in your corner anymore and it's just you and your pathetic, despicable, and conniving decisions—you'll have no one to blame but yourself. I hope what you felt you had to do...was worth it. Goodbye Victoria." I finished firmly giving her one final look—racing out of the room and leaving her.

For good.

"Danny! Danny please! Danny, baby! I'm so sorry! Please don't leave me! I need you!" I kept hearing her chant even from outside the joint, breaking down more.

But as the rain suddenly poured down in 1923 Los Angeles all over my new suit I had also purchased for this supposedly special night—the ring box was now also clutched to my hand as I stared at it in sadness.

I had never felt more empty internally—hating everything about the woman.

I didn't care about her anymore. She wasn't my problem for what she did and how she did it from this moment on. I would never be able to forgive her. Not in a million years. In fact, it'd be a cold day in LA before I saw even the near sight of her again. She had crushed my soul and heart into a trillion shattering pieces after I gave her my very best.

But I learned a valuable lesson tonight that I would carry with me quite possibly forever.

If falling in love was gonna make one feel like nothing they did to show how much they loved the love of their life was good enough...then why believe in love at all?

🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥

I know! This one's a sad chapter ;(

But hey, they had to start somewhere to be ex's and who they became, right?!

Stay tuned because this goes WAY deeper into exactly what happened to our gal, if you're having bad feelings toward her—trust me, she's got more to the story! ;)

See ya next time!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26K 1.4K 41
*Featured on Wattpad Teen fiction* For the record, Cameron "Cam" St. James got arrested for a dumb prank. Off the record, it was far from a joke. It...
1.8K 347 52
Kayra Mehta is a foreign college student in Vancouver. Her plans were simple, study, be independent and settle down in Vancouver. She has been an obe...
50.2K 2.1K 16
Olivia's perfect life fell apart in an instant. Now she's left to pick up the pieces and move on, but that's easier said than done when the image of...
310K 10.8K 36
"Losing yourself is the easy part, it's finding yourself again that's hard." *** Hollywood. When you think of the word, you think of glitz, glam, an...