The Sea Siren

By AliciaMarino

***Wattpad HQ's Editor's Pick - Feb 2023, Nov 2023*** She rules the seas. The infamous Sea Siren, a tormented... More

Blurb + Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine

Chapter Fifty-One

2.7K 236 33
By AliciaMarino

Antony

"Restock for the journey. The ship's surgeon has asked for more dried herbs," Callum states, handing off a letter to the cooper. The man in charge of the ship's supplies bows and leaves without a word, approaching the harbor master who will be able to find an apothecary nearby.

Gibson walks to me, staring off into the open waters as I am. "How far are we?"

"Months away. And that's depending on how difficult it is to penetrate the border."

"Without a ruler, the place has fallen into chaos. The lands would be fair game." He chuckles. "Imagine you secure your brother a continent while you're on this chase. I suspect he'd give you anything you desire."

There's nothing he can give me that I desire.

I stare off into the unknown. "The corruption in that kingdom must be rampant but pirates have no use in a place like that, save petty thievery."

"Why?"

"The war was cruel and the lands left in destruction. Once King Launius was defeated, our forces had to retreat to save our soldiers. Pirates have no use there because there's nothing left. Just rubble and poverty. His people suffered from his arrogance and corruption and we lost many on our side for it."

Gibson looks down at his leg. Due to the muscle work as well as poultices handmade by the royal physician, in the months since we've reconnected, he manages to move without a cane. His steps are not perfect, not yet, but progress has been made to the leg that suffered war wounds. "I would have still been limping around, doing slop work, if you hadn't come to find me."

I turn, squeezing his shoulder, walking on. Somewhere nearby, there must be a place for drink.

I can hardly get through the days without something to ease the edge.

Gibson and Callum follow at my heels, watching those who gawk like a hawk as I enter the tavern. The barkeep has three drinks on the slab before I ask for it, having seen the royal colors of my cape.

"On the house," he says nervously, bowing his head.

I close my eyes at the first taste against my tongue, wincing at the throbbing pain in my skull. These days, it seems I am at war with my own body. Despair will do that to someone.

It will strip you of sleep, of sanity, of even fleeting joy.

This mission is one I swore I would never carry out and yet, each morning, I wake knowing I will find her. Seize her. Make her pay for what she's taken, how greatly she's tricked someone who loved her.

It didn't have to be this way.

A fool in the corner sings folk tunes, squealing on his string instrument.

"Lads, mark your doors with this if you wish to live," a drunk man hiccups, passing around weaved rope. "They say a siren's song becomes tangled in the threads. The evil may not pass through your doors to feed on your wives and children whilst it's on two legs."

I stare at them intently, catching the drunken man's attention. "Highness, you should take one." He stumbles over towards me and Callum moves between us protectively.

"You can let him pass," I say, taking the rope, recognizing the sailor's knot. "Why do you need protection from a siren?" I probe, expecting more mindless blabber.

He leans in close conspiringly. "The Sea Siren is near these parts."

My heartbeat stills. Energy fills my chest as I step towards him, my features tensing. "What do you mean near?"

"A fishing boat saw the dreaded sails of that damned ship. They swore they saw it, sailing straight for cursed land. Not many live near those parts so there were no other witnesses but he's a true lad. Doesn't even take to drinkin'."

Gibson's brow furrows. "Cursed?"

His question is one I lingered on as well. The man slumps into a chair, holding his head. "She'll come for heads in the night."

Heart in my throat, I storm to him, seizing his shirt. The other's gasp in fear as I shake him vigorously. "Where? Where did she go!?"

His glossy eyes shake, frozen on mine. "N-Noir."

***

"Rethink this," Callum says as I bark orders to the crew, eyes locked on the fortress at the top of the cliff. Night has fallen. "Antony."

"Extinguish all light," I demand, turning out flames I see myself. "Now!"

The five of our ships pass our own, to hold the other side of the cove, to cage them inside. I stare at the massive structure, seeing no movement. No light. As if no one is inside.

The Orion is nowhere to be found.

My friend approaches my side. "Maybe they aren't here? Maybe the man was just a drunk?"

I look up to the cliff's, scanning for familiar faces. I find a half-formed watch tower and a single flame hanging from the structure. I shake my head, my mind playing tricks on me as I inhale, smelling the iris she used to wash with in the air. "She's here. I can feel it."

"You love her," Callum argues, grabbing my arm. "You love this woman!"

"She killed my father," I growl back, eyes wide. "She almost killed my brother."

"But you love her."

His words make me feel weak. They give me doubt when I cannot afford to have it. I tear myself from his grasp, speaking through clenched teeth as I turn. "You have the helm."

"Antony—"

I board the longboat as it's hoisted down, closing my eyes as I grip the handle of my sword.

You've come this far.

She's deceived you. Used you. Betrayed you.

She sunk her dagger into my father's chest as he lay in his sick bed.

"She could be in these very waters, wagging her tail beneath the surface," one sailor whispers nervously.

"No one utters a sound," I snap. "We will breach the barriers and follow their tracks. They would not have gone far."

The rocks along the shoreline make it difficult to see the shore. I stand, diving into the dark depths, hearing their gasps. These haunted waters are not what I fear.

I swim, hearing them jump in one by one.

There are more of us then them, but the Orion's crew are renowned for their swordplay. I pull myself onto my feet, trudging the sand without fear.

I have been aching for this day.

Both when I was a fool and dreamed of being at her side.

And now, enlightened and desperate to see her fear me as I should have feared her.

I stop, holding up my hand when I see someone open the gate, holding a basket. A tightness builds in my esophagus as I recognize the person. Aya. Aggie's partner. She bends down, collecting sea shells along the grassland. As soon as she's beyond earshot, I turn to my crew.

"Spare... spare the crew if you can."

I take the corner, light on my feet as I push aside the gated door, entering the courtyard. It's as I anticipated. The grounds are empty. Any crew must be indoors, unsuspecting or beyond the walls. I point to the stables, watching each men dive inside as we begin to hear voices.

"When will they be back?"

Xiu. Cael. They're carrying elk.

It dawns on me now that I'm here that I know these people. I communed with them, shared spirits, showed them my truest self as I gave all of myself to their captain. I bow my head, hesitating.

This isn't who you are.

"At least another hour or so. The caves are deep in those woods. The others are heading to the watch tower to work on getting it up."

"Did Aggie get any news about the Prince while she was out?"

"No. She's ordered for more weapons under the Captain's orders. Said we'll need them."

I'm like stone, watching them pass.

Weapons.

She's expecting the battle as much as I have been.

Deep down, I feel foolish to have doubted that.

I straighten once their past, fire in my heart. Holding my sword, I leave the fortress undetected, sliding by under their noses with my men. The entrance of the dense forest must be where they've gone, if their foot tracks have anything to say about it.

I point to half of my men, instructing them to move where the other boot tracks disconnect. "Seize, do not kill," I whisper. To my own men, I nod. "Come. We will find these caves."

***

The tall blades of grass sing against the misty wind.

The wild sounds of animals make the men flinch with fear, but they remain spread out, waiting.

In the darkness, I see a soft flame break through the fog.

My hairs stand on edge when Bastian exits, laughing to his friend. Kenut is beside him. I breathe in, tested. Tested if my anger... if revenge is truly worth this. I hold up my hand as my men begin to move in the shadows.

They are not in this, surely. Just victims of her hate.

I stare at them walking.

No, they are family... her closest confidants.

There's no way she didn't tell them her plans.

I throw down my hand, instructing them to continue, knowing that where her right-hand is, she isn't far behind. I walk ahead alone, hearing the clash of blades, a surprised shout and then nothing. The darkness has come to our aid tonight.

James stops beside me, out of breath. "They were caught by surprise. Unconscious but breathing."

"Bring them to our ship, like the others."

"And you, sir?"

I nudge my chin for him to leave, eyes set on the entrance of the cave. This part... I must do alone. The mist makes it difficult to tell where it begins and ends. It isn't until I hear her voice that I am aware of her presence in the darkness.

I follow the sound, feeling as if my heart has stopped altogether.

As if I'd died and my spirit is only pushing me forward.

Hearing her voice destroys me. Seeing her will kill me.

"Bastian?!"

I see her hair first, swinging as she looks for him. Her face next, parting through the heavy mist like an angel, glowing as if she were in the clouds. Her beauty stuns me, stripping me of words.

I can only watch her move, transfixed.

Remember the moments we laughed.

The nights we shared.

The secrets we revealed.

Tense, my feet begin to move, the handle of the sword wet in my hands.

She isn't who you remember.

She is a pirate. A murderer.

That pale hand that swipes at the fog also dug a blade so far into your father that it protruded from his back. He was exactly where he slept... He didn't have the chance to even fight.

I breathe in deeply as my shattered heart aches, nearing her.

My grief overwhelms me. My shame in loving her fuels my rage.

I stop where she cannot see me, watching her approach.

Waiting with bated breath.

"Bastian?"

She doesn't see me. I feel her face in my chest, the scent of her hair filling my senses as she lifts her eyes to my face.

"No... not him," I utter darkly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 70.7K 71
"She was fire. And I wanted to burn." #4 in Forbidden Love. ----------------------------------------------- Ariella Faure is just a 5'3, timid woman...
13.2K 2K 44
It's a deadly plan, and it goes like this: First, become a crew member of the Avourienne, a pirate ship notorious for its charismatic captain and wic...
39.1K 1.2K 32
**FULLY EDITED** 🏅#2 in LOTR out of 6,000 stories 4/3/2024 🏅#1in Thorin 5/08/23 and again on 6/14/23 🏅#1 in thehobbit on 7/2/23 #1 in Thorinoakens...
449K 10.5K 36
**WATTPAD HQ EDITOR'S PICK Nov/Dec 2021** BOOK ONE in the STEAMY FORBIDDEN ROMANCE series Coralie Watson, a British thirty-year-old living in San Fr...