Henry Neville- The Geist Ther...

JDCarvell tarafından

Miss Polly Alexander, an educated respectable clerk at the Chelsea postal office, has just buried her father... Daha Fazla

1. Polly: Chapter One
2. Polly: Chapter Two
3. Polly: Chapter Three
4. Polly: Chapter Four
6. Polly: Chapter Six
7. Interlude One
8. The Thames Spectre: Chapter One
9. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Two
10. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Three
11. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Four
12. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Five
13. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Six
14. Interlude Two
15. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter One
16. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Two
17. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Three
18. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Four
19. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Five
20. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Six

5. Polly: Chapter Five

40 9 48
JDCarvell tarafından

To Rescue

"What do you see?" Polly asked with one boot pressed firmly against the wooden box Henry was standing on.

"Not much, the lighting is dim. Two men eating porridge, I think. Could be soup, there is bread on the table."

"Never mind that!" Polly hissed.

"Sorry," replied Henry, "I am starting to feel a little peckish." He had his face in his hands and pushed against the plate glass window. His goggles were positioned to rest on his forehead

"Any children?" Polly asked impatiently.

Henry sighed, "Negative."

"What about the men?"

"Neither match the description of Mallory, and big Bill isn't one of them," Henry replied.

Polly released her foot on the box in frustration, causing Henry to wobble and fight to regain balance. "Next building then," she said in a commanding tone.

"I'll remain in charge if that's ok with you," Henry replied defiantly as he climbed back down.

Polly shot him a daring glare, "Fine, Doctor. What now?"

Henry gulped, "Next building, Miss Alexander. Lead the way."

Polly nodded in approval. She did not like snapping at Henry, or talking abruptly in general. However, she knew she was out of her depth. She wanted nothing more than to be at home getting ready for her job at the postal office in the morning; not chasing around after thugs at the docks, with the most peculiar man, and one she had only just met. She prayed Henry would forgive her once her father's work was complete.

The next building came up empty, as did the following three buildings. Polly was beginning to lose hope in ever finding the children.

"We'll find them," Henry said reassuringly. "They may be closer to the boats."

"Or on the boats," Polly replied doubtfully.

They had to creep and hide behind more boxes as the human activity was livelier the closer they got to the water, making it increasingly harder to sneak around despite the sun setting and the sky darkening.

"Having your father here would have been a huge help," Henry said as he peered through a hole and counted at least six men between them and the first ship.

Polly rolled her eyes, "Can't you zap them with that rod you carry?"

"Not all of them," replied Henry. "I will most certainly be captured." He lowered his voice, "I have never been in a proper fight." He admitted.

Polly gasped, "Never?" She slumped downwards, "Exactly how are we planning on getting us and them out of here?"

Henry looked in her direction and released a long breath, "Things just sort of happen for me. Luck, chance, call it a spirit guide if you will, but when I help folk they usually show me the path and everything else just falls into place. Doors open up that were previously locked, so to speak."

"Jesus Christ," Polly said as a curse. Henry did not like that. She continued, "You've dragged us down here with dangerous men and you're waiting for things to just fall into place?"

"Well when you say it like that."

"Like what, Henry? You're an idiot."

Henry did not answer, resulting in a long awkward silence. He stared down at the ground as if contemplating his own life.

"I'm sorry, Henry. You're not an idiot. I'm just frightened. Scared of what is going to happen next. To us, to the children. I don't want to be here."

"No it's ok, you are right," Henry finally replied. "I don't know what we're doing, what I'm doing." He sighed, "What I do know is that there are lives that need saving. We were meant to meet each other today, and I'll be damned if we are captured or killed before those children are safe at home, away from torment."

Polly's eyes lit up, she could feel her confidence rising and her fear dwindling. She liked this version of Henry as she watched him calculate and plan their daring rescue mission. He was waving his hands in the air in front of him like he was drawing on a board.

"Right," he said with commanding confidence. "If we keep to the left, we should be able to avoid all but two of the men. They're clearly not on look out duty and seem to be lost in their own thoughts. The one closest to that hull," he pointed. "I will likely have to stun him. I will create a distraction if needs be while you sneak onto the ship. Search the cargo hold first, then the boiler room."

"Yes, sir," Polly agreed. She did not like the idea of her going on the boat, but she was willing to do whatever it took to get the children out of the clutches of their captors.

"Good, follow me," keeping low, Henry left their hiding spot and crept to the left of the assorted crates and barrels. Polly watched his movements and those of the dock men, and sure enough, four of them were going to be completely oblivious to any movement due to the way they were facing.

"We have hope," she spoke quietly to herself and followed the scientist past the crates.

Polly had lost sight of Henry in the growing darkness. It was the signature blue flash of his rod that revealed him. She also saw two of the wandering men walking in his direction, both with clubs in hand.

Through panic she stumbled sideways and almost tipped a barrel, this gave her an idea. She kicked the barrel over and rolled it into the Thames.

"Who goes there?" Called one of the guards. The two turned to face her, forgetting Henry for now.

"What now, Polly?" The clerk asked herself.

The two men fast approached. She caught a glimpse of another flash of blue, indicating Henry had shocked the second man near the boat. The two were near upon her. She wanted to call Henry but she could not make a sound."

"Go round that side, Tom." One of the men said.

"Right'o, Boss," the other replied and they separated.

Polly cowered as low as she could behind a single crate, Henry, please come back.

"There you are. Found her, Boss."

"Whaddya mean, her?"

"A woman," Tom peered at her closer. "A negro."

"Excuse me!" Replied Polly, offended by the remark.

"Just do her in already. I'm going to find the other one," Boss replied.

Polly watched the glare in Tom's eyes as he raised his Club in the air. "Right'o, Boss," he said with malice.

She closed her eyes, ready for the blow. However, none came. When she looked again, Tom was no where to be seen. Polly pulled herself upwards slowly and searched around frantically. She could not see Tom anywhere on the dock. It was when she looked out across the water that she saw the man. He was dangling above the water by an unseen force.

"Boss! Hel-" Tom called before he was dropped beneath the surface of the Thames and never seen again.

Boss called his friend's name and ran to where he should have been standing next to the negro. He glared down at Polly and was about to say harsh words as he drew a pistol. Suddenly, he was also raised of his feet and held in the air. He started flailing about, screaming. The man was thrown into the flowing river by the invisible wind. Polly backed down, too scared to stand up in case the force scooped her up and put her in the river too.

"Go to the doctor," came a rough, low voice.

"Who's there?" Polly asked, although she felt like she already knew the answer, "Father?" She whispered.

"Poll, go to him," The voice spoke again.

With a warm feeling of confidence growing inside her, Polly stood to her feet and immediately chased after Henry to the ships.

Henry was stood near the gangway to the first boat when Polly arrived. He was glad to see her, even though his face looked indifferent, he was always smiling as if always discovering something new, "That was some trick."

"My father arrived with us," she said with a pleasing tone.

"Good, that will make this somewhat easier," Henry replied. He held up his rod and pointed up the bridge for Polly to go.

"There could be more up there," she said uncertainly.

"No match for the Alexanders, I'm sure," he said enthusiastically.

Polly walked up the gangway, wishing her father would appear beside her. He did not. As she reached the deck there was a commotion behind the sealed door in front of her.

"Watch out!" That low voice said near her again.

Polly threw herself against the wall as the door burst open and Bill stepped out onto the deck. She held her breath, he had not noticed her.

Bill, however, did see Henry at the bottom of the gangway. "You!" He bellowed.

Henry mouthed, "Go," to Polly and stepped backwards with his rod raised. "This way you blundering fool!" He shouted at Bill.

Polly entered the ship through the open doorway. The passage was dimly lit, there were several doors and steps leading downwards. She proceeded to the stairs and descended.

I do hope Henry is ok, she thought as she reached the passage below deck. The hall was very much like the first, rounded doors and dark rusted iron walls, very plain. Polly did not know much about boats, but she guessed this was not a passenger ship.

There were engraved words on a plaque beside each door, and sure enough, one said cargo.

"Father?" She called softly, but there was no answer. She waited a few seconds and called again. Still no answer, had he not followed? She shuddered at the realisation of being alone.

Polly pulled on the handle and the door clicked open with ease. Too easy, Polly thought. She entered slowly, the light from the doorway was too dull to illuminate anything in the room.

Walking slowly, she held out her hands for guidance and pressed against timber. She felt a large wooden chest in front of her and used her arms to navigate around it.

She kicked something soft, and a child's yelp startled her.

"Who's there?" Polly asked in a low voice.

"Don't hurt us," came a feeble reply.

"The children," Polly gasped. She heard a great deal of shuffling from many bottoms on the rough floor, she had found the little ones.

"Who are you, miss?" Another young boy asked.

Polly fumbled around the shelves and found a lantern and matches. She lit it and held it up to see small faces low to the ground staring back at her, "My name is Polly, me and my friend are here to rescue you."

There was a return chorus of, "What about the brute?" And "I'm hungry," or "I'm cold."

"I will see to it that you are all taken care of. How many of you are here?"

Another chorus of different answers, "Nine, fifteen, twenty, twenty three, five, thirty and twelve."

Polly realised these children were likely from the lowest class and denied a decent education. "It's ok, let me check," she extended a finger and pointed to each child, "Sixteen," she counted.

She held an outstretched hand to the nearest child, "Come with me."

"We can't, miss. Our hands and feet are bound," the young boy said.

Polly moved the lantern over the child's body, "I will untie each of you, help me untie the rest."

"Yes, miss."

Within minutes, all sixteen boys were free and ready to escape. Polly put a finger to her lips, warning them to be quiet. "Let's go," she said in a loud whisper.

Polly led the boys out into the passage and guided them up the stairs slowly. She was still weary of any henchmen, even Bill could still be nearby.

Ushering the children to stay in the passage, Polly crept to the end of the corridor alone. If there was danger, she would have to deal with it in order to keep the boys safe.

Fear struck her heart when she pushed the door open and three big burly men were stood out on the deck, leaning against the taffrails of the ship.

The one on the furthest left was the first to turn and stare into her eyes with a malicious grin stretched across his face.

***

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

7K 1K 54
Nothing goes better with tea and crumpets than corpses and monsters. ************ With hardly a moment's rest after the case of the experimental corp...
8.9K 461 48
(READ ALL BEFORE STARTING BOOK) This is unedited. After the death of a 24 year old girl she's reborn, but the world around her seems different. Not...
8.3K 1.3K 41
Living by her wits Jane's life is far from normal, she has her one steady fixture in her life, her beloved Dad (he has raised her as his own since he...
769K 16.1K 21
A fun trip to a haunted house turns into a grisly nightmare after a group of teens go in after it closes. They think it's just well put together, bu...