The Runaway Cheat

By Misspaperback04

I met a girl six years back. She was everything I thought I never wanted. But how incredibly wrong was I? But... More

Dedications
Character Aesthetic
BookPlaylist
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
CHAPTER 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
CHAPTER 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 18

1.6K 61 23
By Misspaperback04

Ridge Wright

It's been two months since I last saw Marilyn. We returned to London immediately that day and I have no idea how Finn convinced her to not sue me for kidnapping her.

All the matter regarding our partnership was now handled solely by Finn. He never approaches me for it and only asks for my authority to get things done. My shareholders are not creating any more trouble and it seems like my uncle has gone back to his snakepit.

Andrew Wright is anything but not fighting back. It's kind of making me feel eerie because of his silence. And the way he backed out this easily makes me feel something is wrong.

These two months have been tormenting me. At this point, I am not even denying it. Ely was back in New York and he'll be there until his game season starts. Before he left, he almost pleaded with me to let her go. To forget her. A part of me wants to despise her, curse her but a part of me can't see her hurt a single hair on her head.

I still remember her face from that day, her smile and her eyes. And undoubtedly I was scared, scared for her. How could someone be this bitter? What could go so wrong for someone to turn this dark?

It wasn't supposed to be this fucking hard. But it is. It hurts like shit to know that you can't let them go even though there is nothing to hold onto. And at the end of the day, you still miss her.

I have been having meetings with my team all the time as I have taken double the amount of work I normally do. Being busy is the only way to not think about her. To not think what and when did things get this wrong? Was I really that blind to notice her lies?

"Mr.Wright there is an invitation from the Barney's family to attend their annual gala," Anna said just before I entered my office coming from my third meeting of today.

"Anna, you know I don't attend this stuff. Deny it for me." Barney's is a US-based business enterprise whose stronghold is international trading. It rose to number one after MAtrade went bankrupt. Other than trading, they are in food production, automobile, and service business as well. They have been inviting me to their annual gala for a couple of years now and every time I deny it.

"I know Mr Wright but maybe you want to see it once before rejecting it," Anna said as if there is something important I would miss out if I don't see it.

Eyeing her sudden interest in it, I took the card from her desk and opened it. It was in Manhattan, six days later. Going through the main portion I reach the family members of Barney where I come across a familiar name. And I knew what she meant.

"Seems like someone is running their mouth all over the places. Don't reject it. Informed them that I'll be there." I said after a few seconds to Anna who was now giving me an i-knew-it grin.

"Yes sir," she replied smugly before adding, "and your brother only told me about it so that I can avoid anything related to Miss Harrison." And when I raise my eyebrows wondering why she pointed it out for me when she was instructed to not she shrugged saying, "I am an outsider sir and even I can say that her story do not make any sense, she hiding something definitely."

"What do you mean by that,'' I said  giving her my full attention.

"I mean exactly that Mr Wright. She is hiding something, something you are not supposed to know." Anna said before getting back to her job paying no attention to my presence.

In the evening, Finn charged into my office with a hard glare pointing at me, "Why are you attending the Gala?"

Leaning back in, taking a slow and deep breath, "Because I got invited." I said like it's obvious.

"You never attend this sort of event so why now?" Finn growled.

"I don't think I'm obliged to answer any of your questions. And stop screaming before I throw you out." I warned him with a glare.

"You know very well who'll be there. Then why are you still going? It's not a good idea, Ridge." Finn trembles in a low tone his forehead furrowed.

"I can decide what's good and bad for me, Finn. Go and do the job you are hired for." I ordered balling the fist controlling the urge to not slam it on my desk.

"Stop doing this to yourself, you have suffered enough." Finn tries again.

"Mind your own fucking business, Finn. I won't repeat again."

Releasing a shallow, deep breath, running his hands through his dark hair to control his frustration, Finn left the office. His eyes were filled with tenderness and pity. That's the last thing I want from people.

............................................................

In the last five days, Finn has done everything to convince me how abominable an idea it is. But I am hellbound. Disappointed with my decision he decided to accompany me to the gala along with my brother who hadn't stopped calling me after hearing about it.

Letting out a shaking breath, I get out of my car to come facing the media snapping multiple clicks. The flash was immediately in my face, enabling me to see beyond it. I walk straight in without waiting on the red carpet to take any pictures, ignoring the yells of my name from multiple mouths. Finn will be entering from the back side where there are no paparazzi and joining me later on.

The hall was filled with people with expensive suits and dresses. Far away was a group of performers playing instrumental music to which some were dancing in the very centre. I look around to spot any familiar face but only to come across Samuel Barney Brooks who is attending the guest along with his wife, Emma.

The man was in his late 50s wrinkles were showing on his face, and his eyeballs were dipping in. Holding a champagne with one hand and his wife with the other he was laughing aloud at some crap some other guy was saying. As if feeling my gaze, Samuel looked towards me and almost went into shock when our eyes met as if he wasn't informed prior about me accepting the invitation. He covered his expression too quickly and started walking towards me with a wide smile.

"Mr Wright, what a pleasant surprise," Samuels said, forwarding his right hand for a shake with a husky voice. A wide smile was plastered on his face and his eyes were lit up as if he had won the lottery.

"It's my pleasure to get invited, Mr Barney," I replied, shaking his hand with a firm tone keeping my features neutral.

He let out a loud laugh which was anything but real before saying, "You know, your father and I were good friends back then when we were in college. Youngblood doing all the reckless things and I was his prime partner." he sounded as if he was proud of the illegal stuff he did with my father. when I didn't reply anything he continues, "It's a shame he died so young. He was a good man."

"You mean in your definition a good man is the one who dies while running away with his mistress leaving his two sons at home with his wife." and like that smile dropped from his face revealing a grim expression.

His eyes flicker a bit as he said, "I wasn't aware of that information." As if it wasn't breaking news in all the major countries. "Enjoy your night then," he said before excusing himself.

"What did you do to that old guy?" Finn said from behind, joining me with a glass of wine. He was in black tusks and amusement filled in the eyes as we watched the old bald guy walking into the crowd.

"Don't know. Maybe didn't return his wide fucking grin. Who cares." I started with a blank face before taking a glass from the waiter.

I looked around searching for a pair of green eyes among the hundreds of people. "She isn't here yet," Finn muttered beside me, noticing my gaze.

Letting out an exaggerated sigh, I jeered in a sharp tone " I'm not looking for her." Finn hummed at my words taking a sip of his wine.

"She is here!" He announced suddenly to which I snapped my neck towards the entrance only to find an unknown couple entering. "Are you still not looking for her?" Finn mocked with a sideways smirk.

Cleansing my teeth I turned towards him with a glare which made his smirk fade and took a few steps back throwing his hands up in surrender. Inverting my eyes from him I focus on distance.

"She is here," Finn said after five minutes in a low and serious tone. "With every word, you are alluring your formidable, Finn," I replied with a low voice.

"No, seriously. She is here with her assistant." Finn insists immediately looking towards the entrance.

Following his gaze I slowly turn towards it and there she was.

She was wearing a green gown, her hair downs with red lipstick. She is looking breathtaking when I am supposed to feel absurd about her mere existence. I think I'm enthralled by the smile she gave to the people who were approaching them one by one. The smile which could tear me down and heal me at the same time.

Her arms were crossed with Lancaster Andrew, her good friend. Seeing them smile I felt a sting in my heart. She lied to me and played me like a toy and here I was feeling jealous at the sight of her with someone else. She has changed, you can see it in her eyes and her smile. And it's killing me to know who made her this.

Her words were bitter but her eyes were what stopped me from trusting them. They are empty and void and no matter how hard you try you can't fake to light them up. And Marilyn from six years back was like a shiny angel with not a pinch of darkness there.

When her eyes turn and meet mine the smile immediately drops and colour drains from her face. I could've sworn a shudder went through her body when our gaze met.

The sound of clinking glasses made her look away and walk towards the host plastering a smile on her face. It was fake, empty with her jaw clenched tight but nobody noticed it. Except me.

The anchor announced everyone to take their assigned seats. Following a butler Finn and I took our seats at the table with six chairs leaving four empty.

Sipping through my glass of champagne I looked towards the stage when someone took the seat beside me. Turning my head only to meet her with Lancaster on her right. Noticing them Finn turns towards them as well and his face turns grim.

Marilyn was scowling at Finn while he was openly glaring at her. What happened between them?

She didn't turn towards me at all and kept her focus on Lancaster. With every passing moment, my annoyance was rising, my eyes were fixed on the stage but all I could focus on was their low whispered giggles. She is free with him like the way she was with me before. Her eyes were not empty and the smiles were genuine.

And it's killing me to know that it's not me who was making her laugh.

🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷

New update 🌹
Trying my best to update frequently so that we don't lost the story line.
Anyway gala is here.✨✨
What would happen next when they meet again?
Thank for reading 💖🦋 byeeeeeeer

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.9K 560 6
Note: Please refrain from controversial remarks and comments. This story is not written to offend any religion and culture. If you cannot digest it...
144K 4.4K 35
******completed****** A man of 5.9 height is walking through the glass door. He was wearing a black suit. The driver opened the door of his BMW. The...
91K 6.5K 71
He fell in love with the girl he had a one-night stand with. When her true nature revealed, he hated himself for loving her and decided never to see...
4.2K 173 7
He loved her from a far, he disired her, craved her but he let her go and waited for the right time to cage her in his dark world. Like a predator. T...