my online lover

By bfscyyy

When Enede comes across Kevin at first she thinks that life is giving her so many joys. She meets him on Tind... More

intro: characters and information.
PROLOGUE
not a good day
fixing or breaking?
date and memories
answers?
feeling free
conflicting thoughts
verity
chase and charm
missy headstrong
what do we do?
control
vulnerability
the plan
target
rescue
pain
heal what's unhealable
almost
as if
in-sensitive
first tries
let's talk
it's about feelings
headbugs
nauseous
box of heat
be aware
toughen up
mom
twisting
the gala
you and I
downfall
change of plan
pull the trigger
we won
atonement
EPILOGUE

shoot

21 2 11
By bfscyyy

The restaurant Kevin has picked has a view of Milan's Dome. The whole big wall is covered by windows that overlook the big enlightened church. Our table is placed right next to one of the windows, in front of the main view. There are few people in the lounge and most of them are couples. I feel so out of context and not because this looks expensive but because you should come here with your lover and not with the guy you're half working with and half finding out what you feel about him but I guess life is full of surprises.

When we arrived at the place, a man at the entrance asks for the reservation name and I hear Kevin saying his first name, not his last name. That makes me wonder if he one day will change it or keep the legacy even if he doesn't like to be correlated to his father.

However, he says his name and the man nods to a young waiter, telling him the number of the table. We walk behind him, passing through the other tables and my sight is firmly in front of me, looking outside and facing the crowded square.

As we achieve to our table, the waiter leaves to let us sit and Kevin pulls out my chair to let me sit. I thank him before he goes to the other side and moves the chair to shift it from in front of me to my left side. So he both faces the Dome and is closer to me. He does everything with automatic movements as he isn't afraid of doing something wrong while I have my full body stiff in nervousness. Before I can say anything, the boy who escorted us to the table comes back with the menu and leaves them on the table.

I puff out the air in my lunges. «All this seems so far from what I'm used to,» I murmur, afraid to speak too loud.

Kevin looks amused by my being goofy, with a grin on his face while he never moves away his eyes from me. «You actually don't seem to fit it.»

«Hey,» I retort with an offensive tone, hitting him with the menu. «Don't go too far, smart-aleck.»

He shoots me a confused gaze and I hold back a laugh, pushing a hand over my mouth. «Smart-aleck?» He asks bowing his brown and I laugh a bit, being hard to keep it low.

I inhale sharply, trying to shut my laugh. «Smart-aleck,» I repeat trying to be serious. «It's an idiomatic expression used to refer to someone who thinks they know a lot,» I explained to him.

«I know what is that,» he replies, frowning. «But how am I correlated to that?»

«It's just a funny joke,» I declare rolling my eyes and picking up the menu to read what's inside. I hold my eyes to widen as I read the price of everything and I suddenly want to know if Kevin's money is his father's or earned someway differently.

But his stare is distracting and I guess he is still thinking about the nickname I just gave to him. I push down the menu to meet his eyes. «Don't take it too personally,» I comment with an amused smile.

«I don't,» he says. «I wasn't thinking about that.»

«Good because I think I'll keep using it, smart-aleck.» I chuckle, checking back at the menu.

After a few minutes, we both decided what to eat and drink. I wanted to avoid the wine section but Kevin instead picked a bottle of a red one, not even mentioning the price of it. I know it's not a problem for him, but it feels so wrong to pick one of those expensive bottles and I know as soon as I try to debate it, it was a one-way conversation so I let him do it. I ordered Pacchero fresco allo scoglio con pomodoro datterino* and I didn't hear what Kevin ordered but I think it was also pasta. When we're back alone, I decide to put out some questions about his life. He always told me if I was curious I could've just asked.

«Can I ask you something?»

He nods. «Anything.»

«Do you use your father's money?» I ask with an insecure tone of voice. I don't want to sound mean or anything. Mine is pure curiosity but I think he knows it and his relaxed gaze confirms it.

He shakes his head. «Not for important things,» he admits. «I was honest when I told you about my lawyer's work. I earned a good amount of money that I put aside. I don't want to buy stuff with black money and one-day risk jail for it. My cars, except for the Mercedes that was his gift, are from clean money.»

I rest my chin on my hand, nodding slowly. «That's also why you never use your last name?»

He nods. «I want to change it, I know it's possible,» he confesses and I am surprised about the instinct I had before sitting at the table. «I will pick my mom's.»

«Kevin Antonio Smith,» I say out loud.

«I will cut out also my second name. I'll just be Kevin Smith.»

«Not bad,» I observe with a smile. «It's good that you're convincing yourself to fully walk away from him.»

«I've always wanted to do it,» he admits passing a hand through his hair, messing them up. «But I've never had the braveness to do it.» His poignant smile gives him a sad appearance. «Apparently, a woman has more balls than me,» as he says it, his eyes go back on be shiny.

I blush a bit while opening my fist and covering my red cheek. «I did nothing,» I justify myself. «I think you would've said no if you didn't want to. If you said yes it's because you finally opened your eyes.»

«Sure thing but I also had a good reason to do it.»

I wrinkle my nose. «You're so sentimental today,» I cry out.

He winks at me. «I always am,» he comments. «But it is true. I told you. I never wanted something serious with anyone right because of my life. I never wanted to put anyone in danger. And I didn't even want to put you in danger but I acted selfish and when I realised I had to let you go, it was too late.» I cut our eye contact to wrap my mind around all the words before realising that I did the same. «I should've let you go as soon as I realised I couldn't handle just a distraction from you.»

«And I should've been less stubborn about wanting to face you after what I've found out.»

A little silence surrounds us and I feel like the conversation shouldn't be this way. We wanted a night not talking about his father but we ended up talking about him, as he is the only subject we can handle talking about so I need to change the subject to something more cheerful.

«Have you any idea about what you want to do after graduation?» He suddenly asks. «I know your future is blurred in your mind, but when you decided to do Literature, there was a purpose for it?»

«I want to be a writer,» I admit by looking at my fingers. «I mean, I have always loved to write a book and I decided to take it seriously but apparently that's not something I am good at.»

«Why?»

I lift my head, meeting his blue eyes. «I have never written something except for assignments.» I shrug as I say that and push a lazy smile on my face. «I think I picked something just because I felt I had to.»

«But have you ever had some plot story in your head that you wanted to write?»

I shake my head. «Yeah but never something that could've become something good.»

«I think you underestimate yourself.» As he says that, he lays back and pushes his back against the chair. His eyes are serious and his smirk has never left his face. «You should try to write anything that it's not about University. Something creative. Even if it has no start and end. There is a reason if your mind thought about this type of school. And I don't think someone forced you to do it.»

«Then why I couldn't ever write something?»

«I told you,» he comments pushing his elbows on the table. «You underestimate yourself.»

I linger my gaze on his, encasing my mind around his words. I have never underestimated myself, have I? In my two years of University, I have never thought about writing something near a novel. I was too busy focusing on studying to put some effort into something personal. I have had ideas but I never put them down and by the time they flew away. Now he is re-bringing out this topic and my mind is working on what I want to do after graduation. Maybe he is right. Maybe I need to write down something and see if this is my way or if I need to find something else.

«You can also write about what we're doing,» he adds. «With no real names and maybe not even as a novel but as an informative book.»

I frown my eyes. «Informative books are not my room,» I confess. «I like crimes but as fictional not as documentary to write.»

«Then try to write a crime book. Or write a crime scene, or invent a storyline about something in this trope. Try, don't push yourself down or when you'll finally finish your year you'll be drowning in your doubts.»

He is right. That's probably the reason why I have lost my will to keep going and finish my year. And the way I was trying to push myself when I didn't even know what I actually wanted was just wrong. I need to find myself again, to put a goal in my way and try to reach it.

«What about you? Once you'll go back to England, what's your plan?» I ask while taking a sip of the wine Kevin ordered for both of us. It's good, even if I prefer the white one.

He takes a moment to shift his gaze from me to the Dome behind me. He lingers his eyes on it almost like he is deeply thinking about it, as he has never done it before. Maybe he never did and I am curious to know what are his plans for the future and if he already thought something. «I will work as a lawyer,» he admits bringing back his eyes to me. «I want to keep doing this. It's something that I've always wanted to be. Smoke out the bad ones and help who needs it.»

«You already know where to go or you'll search for it?»

He shrugs. «I know some people but I'll see about it. Maybe I'll first start over and find something on my own. If it's hard, I'll ask for help.»

I nod before staying quiet while the waiter brings us our order. I push back to make space on the table and when both of our dishes are set down, the young man goes back again to do his job and I take a look at my food. It looks massive and I am questioning my stomach space right now. I mean, the whole plate seems very delicious and maybe I'll finish it without even thinking about it.

«Have you ever been in a serious relationship?»

I lift my eyes to meet Kevin's after he asks me that. It is a very random question that almost made me choke on my pasta. I draft his gaze, trying to figure out if he is asking with a serious mindset or if he is joking with me but apparently, he is serious. I shake my head. «A six months relationship can be called serious?»

Kevin chuckles. «It depends on how you lived it.»

«No, I have never,» I admit. «I have always been the close boring friend. Never went out, never trust people and too afraid to hang out with boys to be in a relationship with them. That's why I have always been single.»

My answer seems to put Kevin on the thinking side and I wonder about what.

He nods slowly. «I can totally picture you like that,» he jokes and I raise a brow. «I am kidding but we both know you're very... wary.»

«I have my good reasons,» I fend off after swallowing the food in my mouth. «I am okay with that. I didn't feel the need to have a boyfriend or whatever. I knew when the moment was right, it would've come. Plus, I had really bad days in my last year of high school, having a boyfriend was the last of my thoughts.»

«Were you a lot close to your mom?»

I nod, facing the table. «A lot,» I comment with a wistful smile. «She was a bright person, bringing always a smile to us. Whatever was happening, she was always happy and smiley. She was the one finding always a solution when my dad and I were fighting about something, being both stubborn.»

«What was her name?» Kevin asks with a soft tone of voice, probably feeling my change of mood.

«Estelle,» I answer turning up my head to look at him again. «The most beautiful name I've ever known. That's what I want to call my daughter if I'll ever have one.»

«It is a very beautiful uncommon name,» he observes. «Do you look more like her or like your dad?»

«Father's temper and mother's beauty,» I wink at him and he chuckles after my joke.

Everyone has always said I am my mother's copy. I have her same blue eyes and smile. Even if I don't smile the same she used to do, when I do it my dad always tells me: that's your mother smiling. And I love hearing that because that was one of the biggest things I used to adore about her.

«Then I guess she was very beautiful.»

Kevin's compliment makes my cheeks become again slightly pinky and I drink another sip from my glass of wine. I am trying to control how much I drink, not wanting to get drunk and wasted. I need it to feel light but not to start speaking about things that should stay in my head. I wish I could have a picture of my mom on my phone to show to him but she hated them. She only wanted photos by old cameras, that one with the roll. We never printed them but we keep all the rolls of her. We only have one printed, hanging in the living room.

The rest of the date keeps going well. We keep eating and drinking while we talk about the future and funny parts of our past. Never mentioning Joe or my grieving period. I don't know if I will ever tell him who I was years ago, but right now I feel we need only good speeches.

When we both finished, I feel happy. Maybe tipsy. The wine made his effect but I am very good at handling whatever words try to come out my mouth with no permission. As we stand up, Kevin takes my coat and put it on my shoulders before I thank him and walk with him to where we came from. He greets the man at the entrance and I smile at him before leaving the building. Outside the weather is cold and I chill, wrapping my arms around my body to warm myself. The car is not far away from the restaurant but it was not easy to find a spot, so we left it on a little road. I asked Kevin if he trusted to leave the car like that and he answered telling me that he has always done it and he has a tracker on his phone; if someone tried to steal it, the alarm starts on the phone and he knows what's going on.

I was impressed by that and I wondered if I will ever be able to own that kind of car.

We're walking side by side, with my wiggling a bit for the head spinning. I sense Kevin being amused by my tipsy moment but I let him laugh because if I try to open my mouth, I am afraid of what can come out.

«The last time you were drunk, you fell on me,» he points out.

I frown at my brows. «I am not drunk,» I comment. «I can handle a glass of wine.»

«I didn't say you're drunk,» he corrects me. «I just remembered about that day. It seems another lifetime.»

«Yeah,» I murmur. «Where I wasn't aware of the real you.»

I see Kevin's eyes changing their light in a dim one and I wonder if I said something bad. As we turn the corner, we reach the road where the car is. I don't even know what time it is and I forgot to notify my dad about my night. I am sure he will be so mad when I'll be back. We had the call in the morning and then I disappear again. Maybe he'll think I am with Antonio and I am sure if he called my best friend, this one would've covered me. I take a deep sigh thinking about that.

«There are a lot of stars today in the sky,» Kevin says and it recalls when he sent me a similar text. «I wonder why no one has still found a way to count them.» And this reminds me how much I miss his random questions about life. It was everything more simple before I found out the truth.

«My friend told me: there are about four hundred thousand new starts per day,» I bring back Giacomo's words. «So it is basically impossible to count them.»

Kevin doesn't have time to answer because a deafening noise full the road where we are. It was a gunshot. I don't know how I sense that, but it was the same sound. It's not like the start of the fireworks when the sky is full of colours. It's just one dry quick thundering sound that made my skin shiver and my body flinch. I cover my ears and quickly close my eyes as I heard that. When I open them back, Kevin's body is in front of me, protecting me from whoever tried to attack us. But I didn't get shot, luckily. I take a look at him, making sure he also didn't but when I catch him staring at his shoulder, I see the red stain becoming bigger and bigger, with drops falling along his sleeve. They hit him. They shot him. Whoever is the aggressor, hit the mark.

«Kevin,» I try to call him out but another shot brings his arm around my waist and pulls me right against his back.

Kevin now has put his gun out, pointing right where the hit came from and he shoots twice in that direction. I have no idea where he is aiming and if he has struck them because I am smashed against his back, with my eyes closed. This goes further from what happened some weeks ago. Even if I don't feel scared because of Kevin's presence, being in the middle of a shooting is not something I've put on the list of things to do before dying. I take a deep breath before popping out my head and checking their direction by Kevin's shoulder and my eyes find one of them on the asphalt, holding his stomach. 

But before I can see more, Kevin turns his body to face me. I lift my head and meet his worried blue eyes. «Run away,» he suddenly orders me, wheezing.

I widen my eyes. «Where the hell am I supposed to run? They're here,» I complain.

«I'll take care of them but you need to run away,» he says again trying to push me to the other side of the road before they can be again on our back. «I'll come to you as soon as I can.»

«You're hurt!»

«Enede,» he yells and takes my face in his hands where there is still his gun in one of them. «Listen to me, damn. I can't fight them if you're here. Turn around and go home.» As he says that, my ears become full of police siren sounds not so far away from us.

Someone must have called them after hearing about the shoot. I shift my gaze quickly from Kevin to his back and then nod before he lets my face go and turns around to run on the opposite side. I try to run but after some steps, one of my high heels breaks so I take them off quickly before going back to rush to the end of the road. I try not to look back and keep my focus in front of me. I know he already has fought them and that he can handle the situation, but he is hurt. I just hope he'll be fine plus, now he has me in his life so there is someone worried about it and he has to think about this.

As I turn the corner, thinking I was free, I bump into someone and as I step back, I lift my eyes to meet the officer looking at me with an arched brow.

«Signorina, viene dalla sparatoria?*»

I should've said no, I should've said that I was running because I heard the shots and I wanted to save my life. I should've said who shot and in what direction they went but that would've meant to put also Kevin in a dangerous spot. So I just look at the officer with a guilty face and the fact that I was running right out of the road where the shots were being heard, made me kind of a suspect. Mostly if you don't explain yourself.

Five minutes after, I was in the police car, suspected of a shooting involving.

And here we are, where I never thought I would've been. Closed in a jail cell, with the guard looking at me on the other side of the bars. Scanning my face with pale skin and wide eyes. Probably the only time where Kevin's last name can be used in the right way. I am sure whatever the guard was thinking about, flew away with my words, mostly when he heard who I was with.

The men behind me are quiet and I wonder if it's because they recognised the last name I said or because they're enjoying the show. Whatever they're thinking, the silence for them is a safe spot.

«Better think twice,» I grit my teeth. «And open this freaking gate,» I yell smashing the cold bars.

«No,» the guard finally speaks with a firm voice and on his face comes back the smile he had some minutes ago. «You're bluffing just to save your beautiful ass. Better for you to stay quiet until we know what to do with you.»

«You really think I could be able to use a gun?» I assert desperate.

The man shrugs before scanning my body and lifting back his gaze on my face. «Most killer women have an angel face,» he comments with a smirk. «Never doubt of a woman.»

I wrinkle my nose at his words and before I open my mouth to say anything, the police station front door gets open with a rush movement. After a few seconds, blonde messy hair and a dirty navy suit appear. When I draw my attention to Kevin, I see the fury painted on his face and I have never seen him this angry. He doesn't even flinch a look at me, his goal is the guard that now he has back the pale and scared face that I was trying hard to put on him but apparently, I am not that much scary.

«Apri la cella*,» Kevin grunts with his British accent. «Ora.»

The guard nods quickly before walking towards me and opening the gate with shaking hands. After a few seconds, I was free and Kevin takes my arm gently before walking me out of the building. But as soon as we're out, I pull away my arm from his grip, stopping my steps. I can see his body stiff after my movement and I don't care if he is full of rage.

«What the heck happened,» I yell gesturing with my hands. «This is unbelievable. You left me to go alone and look where the freak I ended up.»

He turns his body in my direction and reaches me stopping right when he is close enough to make me smell the blood coming from his shoulder, making me remember that he is still hurt. «Don't yell,» he clenches. «Get in the car, we have to leave.»

I don't move. «I have to go back home.»

«Not safe,» he sighs before shifting his gaze from side to side to check the surrounding. «You'll come to my house.»

I do a hysterical laugh. «No,» I reply. «I am pretty sure I am safer at my home.»

«Why don't you just listen to me, for once?»

«We just got attacked, Kevin. How am I supposed to handle the situation?»

«I told you we can talk about it at my house.»

I shake my head, not moving from where I am, still barefoot but suddenly my feet are not touching the asphalt anymore, they're in the air and my body is on Kevin's shoulder as he picks me up by rounding my knees with his arm. I start to punch his back and scream at him to let me go but he doesn't. He walks in a decided direction.

«Put me down,» I snort. «I swear to God, I am gonna kill you.»

«Put yourself in line,» he comments. «Apparently a lot of people want me dead.»

I keep fighting against his grip and once I am in the car, I huff crossing my arms against my chest.

I stay quiet as he also gets into the car. I see him closing his eyes and doing deep breaths in and out. I see on his right shoulder a big red stain and I wonder how he is still standing after the blood he is losing. Did the bullet come out? It needs to be clean. And suddenly, my rage is less strong. He is not the one to blame, now. I knew what I was putting myself into, he has no blame for this. Not anymore. This is just one of the consequences of what we're passing by before the end. We need to be strong.

After he is more calm, the car starts under us and Kevin pushes the throttle to leave the police station and reach his house.

Everywhere around Kevin's house is dark and quiet. It almost makes the night even more scary. As he parks, I leave the car before he does it. I walk straight in the door direction, stopping only to wait for him to open the house. As he is next to me, I refuse to check on him. I need to have a clear mind, mostly because after all that just happened, I'll spend the night here and I have to copy that too.

Inside the house, he turns on some of the lights but not all of them. I walk slowly in the sofa's direction, stopping myself before the stairs and turning my body to face him. I see Kevin taking off his blue jacket in slow motion and pain on his face. I clench my fists and stay still.

Then he meets my eyes and walks in my direction. «I promise you,» he says with a little voice. «This is the last bad thing that will happen to you.»

«I am tired of running,» I murmur.

He slowly nods, his eyes full of the same tiredness I have in my mind. «Believe me, I am too,» he confesses. «But mostly, I am scared. Every time I am with you, I have this fear that tells me I can lose you anytime in any way and that's not something I want to happen.»

I feel a knot in my thought as he speaks. My heart beating fast against my chest. I hold my breath and try to focus on the whole situation and what happened and not let my emotions fall for his words.

Kevin tilts his head to one side. «I know you're mad at me, that I shouldn't make this happen. I know that too. I shouldn't ask for a date, I should stay far away from you but to not feel anything I'd have to leave the universe,» he takes a break. Now our chests brush each other. Me still on my coat, he is only with his white ruined shirt. «But I am selfish and I don't want to let you go. I am going to fight until I can to make you safe enough to stay with me because that's what I see in my future. You. And I want to stick with this mindset.»

I swallow the knot in my throat and wrap my mind around his words. I don't care we just got shot, I don't care we are every day in danger because of his dad, I don't care if this is wrong, I don't care where it will lead us and I don't even want to step back and wait for the end of it to let finally myself go.

I have him right here, in front of me, giving all himself to me. He has always been clear about his feelings for me but right now his words just sound different and maybe it's because now we're both on the same page, with me not hiding anymore and never wanting to do it. I'll fight alongside him until everything is over and he'll finally be free. Not for me, for him. I want to see him finally be fully happy and walk away from his father once and for all.

We're both breathing fast and our chests move quickly because of the tension around us, but I break the gap between us by putting on tiptop, catching his face with my hands and kissing him. He doesn't hesitate to kiss me back, surrounding my waist with his left arm and pulling me closer so we're now totally connected. It's not the soft kiss I thought it would've been. It's full of rush, as we're letting our frustration out and venting in it. I shift my hands from his face to soak them in his hair as I give his tongue access to my mouth where he meets mine and they dance together. His lips are soft against mine and I like how they work well together. Kevin tries to pull me even closer, trying to not leave any air between us.

It's a good feeling. I like the way I feel, right now. My body is relaxed against his, as it has tried to fight against this moment for so long and now it can rest as I allow it to win. I should've done this before, even if I am glad to have waited, making this moment even more intense and satisfying.

And this kiss just confirmed all my doubts about what I feel about Kevin.

But the reality is another and when I let his neck put my hands against his shoulders, he suddenly whines in pain and my mind recaps the fact that he is still hurt and a bullet is stuck in his shoulder. I put my hands on his chest and pull him slightly away, cutting the kiss even if I don't want to and him making a disapproval noise, knowing he also doesn't want to.

I bow my head to his shoulder direction. «Is the bullet still in?» I ask pushing, for now, the kiss on one side. I shift my eyes to his face and I see his cheeks full red, looking even more attractive than usual. I go back to controlling my body, not letting it win when there is something more important to deal with it and when Kevin doesn't answer me, I flash a rude expression. «Kevin.»

He smirks. «Yes,» he replies. «What are you thinking to do?»

His arm is still wrapped around me, I take a deep breath. «I'll take it out and take care of the wound.»

«I don't think-»

«I don't care what you think,» I stop him before he can even keep going. «It needs to be taken care of and since it seems like you never go to the hospital, I'll do it.»

«Why go to the hospital when I have a personal nurse?»

I throw him an annoyed look before picking up his arm and pulling it away from my body. «Go and take the medical kit, and some alcohol» I order him.

Kevin linger a look at me before sighing and leaving the room holding his hurt arm. I take off my coat, throw it on the sofa and look at my barefoot, realising that I have to ask Kevin for a pair of shoes or I will go back home with no shoes at all. It's okay, I don't mind but I have no idea if I'll meet my father and he will surely question my weird look.

While I wait for Kevin, I take my phone to check if Antonio has texted me.

Tonio

Is everything fine?

Let me know everything tomorrow.

I don't text it back. I drop the phone back in my purse before picking a hairband from it and tossing the bag on the sofa, next to my coat. When I turn my head, I see Kevin coming back with the medical kit and without his shirt. On his shoulder, there is a big quantity of blood and suddenly I am afraid to make things worse but I know he wouldn't go to the hospital. My dad could also be there and I really don't want him to see Kevin for the first time like this. How the heck do I explain a bullet in his shoulder?

«Come to the bathroom,» he says stopping his steps. «I don't want blood everywhere in my living room.»

I roll my eyes and follow him as we reach the bathroom. I tell him to sit on the toilette and when I take from the medical kit the clamp and prepare a lot of paper next to the bottle of alcohol that appears to be whisky. I don't question but I focus on Kevin's shoulder. I take a towel and wet it with water, before cleaning the area around the hit. When I can clearly see where the bullet is, I take the clamp and try to pull it off with firm hands. As soon as the cold object touches Kevin's skin, he grunts in pain and pushes his forehead against my chest. I hold my breath and try to do everything with a firm hand and emotions. Once I manage to pull out the little steel, I drop on the whiskey, pushing the towel on the wet skin and waiting a bit for it to be clean. I dab gently to dry the part and Kevin lifts his head to look at me. While I push the fabric, I take the bends where I will wrap the wound part in.

«How did you know what to do?»

I wait to answer, focusing on wrapping the bandage. «Don't forget my dad is a doctor and a very protective father,» I murmur after closing the whole medication and letting his arm go. «He taught me everything I need to know if something bad happens to me.»

Kevin stays quiet after I say that and suddenly I feel he gets my words in a wrong way. I move away to reach the sink and wash my hands full of blood and alcohol. «And I watched a lot of Grey's Anatomy,» I confess by looking at him through the mirror reflection.

He meets my eyes and gives me a lazy smile. I sigh and turn myself to go back to him. When I stop right where I was before, I gently push my hands against his shoulders. «It was even before I met you, Kevin. Don't overthink about it too much,» I say to reassure him.

He keeps his head down before pushing it against my stomach. «I am sorry, for tonight.»

I caress his hair. «You should take painkillers. Or the wound will never heal.»

He chuckles against my stomach, making my body vibrate and I smile a little. «Will you ever stop caring too much about me?»

«After we just made out like teens?» I joke about it, so he knows I am not pushing away our kiss. «I don't think so. I'll never will.»

After a few seconds, he turns up his head and stares at me. He looks very tired, with his eyes narrowed and his body totally collapsed. I didn't even ask how it went with The Cleaners.
But he is back. It means that, whatever happened, he is fine and that's what matters to me. I am sure they just ran away and he came back. I have no idea how he knew I was at the police station, maybe he saw me going away with them.

«This will make things even more hard,» he comments, and I can't be less in agreement about that.

«I know,» I murmur with a little sigh. I push my body towards the medical kit and take from that the painkillers. «Start with taking this, it will help feel less thoughts.» I hand him the blister pack.

Kevin doesn't fight against it, he takes one pill, swallowing it without water and then he slowly stands up. I move aside to let him reach the sink and wash his hands, face and then the dry blood. I watch him doing that, with my arms wrapped around my body.

When he has finished, he looks at me. «You're staying here tonight, okay?» He says without giving me a way to answer. «I don't care if you want to go back. I need you here tonight so I can sleep peacefully.»

I nod, giving him a lazy smile. «I wasn't planning to go away, don't worry.»

Kevin offers me his hand and I take it before walking with him towards his bedroom. The last room I have to see before I can say I have seen his full house and it's funny considering what I was thinking the first time step inside here. Now I don't even care about knowing all the rooms and it's crazy how things change in just a few weeks. When we step in, Kevin's room is the opposite of what I thought it would've been. It has white walls except for one behind his bed which is pastel green and against it, there are hung some paintings that show places. There are two big windows on one side of the room, facing the same view as in the whole house but the curtains are closed. In front of the bed is a big closet where Kevin is right now, poking inside it to catch something. The bed is not well done, the white bedsheet is still off and on the pillow there is a book. I stay still at the entrance, wondering what he is currently reading.

When I turn my head, Kevin is approaching me with some clothes in his hand. «These are the same clothes I gave you the attack day,» he says while I take them. «I'll be right out the room, when you're changed tell me.»

I wait for him to leave the room and when I am alone, I quickly take off my dress and put on his clothes. They still smell like my detergent, this means he hasn't touched them since I gave them back to him. Once I am dressed, I fold my dress and leave it on the nightstand near the clear side of the bed and then I go to open the door, letting Kevin come back inside.

I sit at the end of the bed. «What do you think your father will do about the shooting?» I ask, suddenly afraid that Joe will do the same as the last time when he found out about my attack.

Kevin is taking off his pants and I look away, waiting for him to put on some clothes. «He won't do anything,» he says with a calm voice. «I'll try to hide the wound and if he found out, he won't hit me don't worry.»

I move my head to meet him again. He has just put on some sweater pants. «How are you sure about that?»

He sits next to me, puts one lock of hair behind my ear, and lingers his hand against my cheek. «Because now I am prepared to fight back,» he admits with a sweet smile. «You'll hear everything, so you can be sure about it.»

I sigh and nod. He puts down his arm, making a painful grimace and laying back on the bed. I follow his movement before flashing a look at the book he has on his pillow. I take it, before sitting next to him. It's Pride & Prejudice. I smile before putting the book away. I look back on Kevin and he now has his eyes closed and his breath is slowing down, relaxing his body. Probably the medicine is doing its effect. I cover his body with the bedsheet before laying down next to him. I put myself on one side, facing him and pushing away some hair from his forehead so I can look at his face. It's the first time seeing him so peaceful and he seems younger than his age. I wish I could make time go faster so I can look at that peaceful expression forever. When I am sure he is fully sleeping, I let myself also relax and fall asleep next to him, for the first time in his bedroom after we have started something new in our life.

Whatever will happen from now on, it should be the climb. I don't want to go down anymore.

TRANSLATION:

Pacchero fresco allo scoglio con pomodoro datterino -> Fresh pacchero with cherry tomatoes

Signorina, viene dalla sparatoria? -> Miss, are you coming from the shooting?

Apri la cella / Ora -> open the cell / now

AUTHOR'S SPACE

AAAAH HERE WE AAAARE.

Finally the chapter with the kiss. I know that maybe some of you will think it is a little inappropriate to put the kiss in this situation but I thought it was because Enede feels so many emotions and she is overwhelmed but they and she just fell. She sees Kevin hurt, giving her his heart and she was so afraid that she almost lost him. She couldn't wait anymore and had regrets, so I thought it was the right time to give them this moment.

Anyway, except for that, we have another attack. This time, Kevin is hurt. They can't have a normal moment, I know. But it's the core of the whole story, haha. And to remind them that until Kevin's father is around, they will never be free.

Q: how do you think Kevin will handle the meeting with his father?

Lemme know by commenting.

Love ya,

Benny!

CHAPTER COVER MADE BY ME

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

236K 5.5K 37
One day the "mafia prince" Luke will be the Spanish Mafia leader. But for now...it's high school for him! Since Stefa and Álvaro, his parents, adop...
35.6K 571 29
This is a Mafia story! ~Enemies to Lovers! Somebody comes into your life, and you know, that by fate, you are bound to love them; for as long as you...
163K 7K 28
"I thought I taught that mouth of yours a lesson." I said. "I need to be taught many lessons before accepting it, Mr Kovak." Her eyes lock with mine...
171K 2.3K 47
Amara Moratti, a Young and beautiful woman. But there is one problem, she is a woman, she is no use for her father. Living with a deadly secret. Ace...