See Dot Smile

By megoolders

2023 Watty Winner! 🖤🤍💜❤️ Happy endings aren't one-size-fits-all. It's the first day of senior year and Dot... More

How it started....
The Committee
Hurdles
Troublemakers
Kindling
Rendezvous
The Drama Club
Lilliana
The D.G.L.S.
Tom
Kendall
Big Brother
The Game: Part 1
The Game: Part 2
Ditching Plans
Making Amends
Firsts and Prayers
Work Bud
The Proposal
The Moment
False Start
The Break Before Christmas
Small Miracles
Christmas Eve: Part 1
Christmas Eve: Part 2
Hallelujah
New Year's Eve: Part 1
New Year's Eve: Part 2
Resolutions
Blue New Year
Baby Bear
Pop Quiz
Lying for Love
Yours Forever
14
Vincent
Eighteen and One Day
The Sugar Castle
The Beaumonts
The Prince's Bed Chamber
What Really Happened With Kendall and Lilliana
Brent Weighs In
The Benefits of Horizontal Sex (According to Bud)
Trouble Comes Knocking
That Thing Nights Do
Damage Control
Closer
The Fight
The Scene
Good News
The REAL Fight
Ali
Time of My Life: Part 1
Time of My Life: Part 2
Bud's Move
The Deal
Brotherly Love
The Kissing Trust
Angel On The Fifty Yard Line
Confessional
Hail Mary
Bud's Legacy
Out and In
Senioritis
Heartsick
Commencement: Part 1
Commencement: Part 2
Kendall's Speech
All of it
... How it ends.

Spring Forward

228 28 9
By megoolders

Dot: You awake?

Bud: Yes. Shouldn't you be fantasizing right now?

Dot: I'm trying not to do that anymore.

Bud: Happy to be your cold shower anytime.

Dot: You're not my cold shower, Bud. And you know it.

Bud: I know nothing.

Dot: They both got to me today.

Bud: Who did?

Dot: Joshua and Ali.

Bud: At the same time?!

Dot: No. I got to have my ass kicked twice in one day.

Bud: I'm too tired to do emojis. But they're angry. And vengeful. And poop.

Dot: 😊

Bud: How are you feeling?

Dot: Angry. Vengeful. Poop.

Bud: Pancakes or Dirty Dancing?

Dot: Both.

Bud: You got it. I can reserve "the theater" for us tomorrow night.

Dot: Seriously? You want me back at your house?

Bud: My mom really likes you.

Dot: Is she the only one?

Bud: uhhhhh....

Dot: I heard what you've been doing for Tom and Marcus.

Bud: I don't know what you're talking about.

Dot: Bud?

Bud: zzzzzz

Dot: Dorothea?

Bud: That's classified.

Dot: Okay. See you tomorrow.

Bud: Sweet dreams.

Dot: You too.

Bud: ❤️

* * * * *

"We could have avoided all this if I was at your house when Josh showed up all sad, wet dog style on your doorstep," Bud says, pouring syrup over his pancakes.

"What difference would that have made?" I ask. "Then we'd be dealing with the awkwardness that comes after a three-way."

"Wow. That's not what I meant," he says, blushing like a madman. "And you don't know it would be awkward. Maybe it would bring the three of us closer together."

"New topic, please," I say with my mouthful.

"I didn't choose the three-way topic." He smiles. "You did. I was trying to say I could've helped you guys, like, figure out where your heads and hearts were. Like a love mediator. So, you wouldn't just be thinking with your dicks."

"I don't have a dick."

"Yeah, you do."

I laugh. "It's okay, Bud. Joshua and I are adults. We had every opportunity to act like it."

"You're not adults," he says. "None of us are. We're just kids trying to do adult things. That's high school. And I still think I could have helped. I feel like I let you down."

"How is any of this on you? It's not like I didn't have a chance to tell him how I feel. I did. I just didn't take it. That's on me."

"But I promised I'd help you get him. That's what I was supposed to be doing all this time, but I got distracted. It was just... really fun hanging out with you. I got selfish, and now everything sucks again. And that's on me."

He pokes his fork at his untouched pancakes and rests his head in his hand. He feels bad. I don't want him to feel that way. Not for my sake.

"Bud?"

"Yeah."

"I got distracted, too."

He looks up to see if I'm kidding. Of course, I'm not, but he looks down again, as if he doesn't deserve whatever praise I'm about to dish out. He's going to hear it anyway.

"It was fun hanging out. And there were days--whole entire days--when I didn't think about Joshua at all. Or about what I didn't have that I thought I needed. Because when I was spending time with you, I didn't need those things. I was happy. And maybe what I really needed the last few months was a distraction. And you kinda nailed that for me."

The corners of his mouth curve into a bashful smile, and he takes a bite of pancake to hide it. His cheeks are giving him away. Pink as anything.

He finishes chewing and sets his fork down on his plate. His brow furrows as he looks at me. "But you still want him, right?"

"Damn it, Bud!" I shout. "Who gives a shit what I want!?"

He laughs at my outburst, turning his head to see who else in the diner is now focused on our discussion, thanks to me.

"What do you want?" I ask. "You need to think about yourself for once."

"Um..." His cheeks are scarlet red now, but he's smiling.

"I mean it, Bud. What do you want? More than anything. What's going to make you happy right now?"

He bites his bottom lip and sucks in a breath.

"Bud?" I say more calmly, worried I'm scaring him with my bossiness. "One thing that will make you happy. Let's hear it. No shame. It's me for fuck's sake. I'm the queen of embarrassing secrets over here."

"Okay," he says, wringing his hands. "I want to take you to the spring formal."

I'm being hugged but no one is touching me. And I have two heartbeats. His and mine.

"Yes," I say.

"Really?"

"Hell yes."

"And I want to take you out to dinner first," he says eagerly. "Not pancakes. Real dinner."

"Yep."

"And you have to let me pay for you."

"Ehh...?"

"Because you're going to spend your money on a killer dress and whatever else you need to feel like a million dollars that night."

I smile. "Deal."

"And I want to dance with you," he says. "Every dance. I'm a really good dancer and I want to dance with you all night. Can we do that, too? I promise that's the last thing."

"I'm in, Bud." I slam my fist on the table for emphasis. "For all of it. And whatever else you come up with in the meantime."

"I think that's it." He grins. "For now."

His cheeks might be permanently stained pink. And mine are aching from smiling at him. He dives into his pancakes while I wait patiently to hug him - for real.

I have no idea what's happening with me and Bud. Sometimes I think he has a huge crush on me, and I'm leading him on. Or I'm using him to fill a void in my heart where Joshua should be. But maybe Joshua shouldn't be there. Because he hasn't earned it. But Bud has. Bud has worked his ass off for it.

As we're leaving the diner, I stop him at the entrance and wrap him in a long, deep hug which makes him laugh into the top of my head. His soft belly presses against me, and his warm arms wrap around my back, and I can't wait to dance with him. Every dance. All night.

Because who cares what I want, really? I don't think I even do anymore.

This is what I need. Just this. Just him.

For now. 

* * * * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 161 18
"We were just kids in love." Nicole is an outgoing senior in high school, hoping to make this year her best yet. She is the new girl in town and is l...
13.7K 416 21
Hannah Anderson. A high school senior who spends most of her time keeping to herself. Hannah only has two real friends and- if you count her loyal re...
539 54 17
Lily Clay has everything she has ever wanted, she's captain of her cheer team, one of the most popular girls in school and has almost every guy in sc...
275 6 5
"If two ex-lovers can remain friends, it's either they're still in love or they never were." In her case, she is still inevitably in love with him...