England's Bloody Rose

By Flytrap4534

Lydia Euphemia Potter. Daughter of Fleamont and Euphemia Potter. Heiress of the Potter fortune. One of the gr... More

Prologue
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #1
Flashbacks Chapter #1
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #2
Flashbacks Part #2
Flashbacks Chapter #3
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #4
Flashbacks Chapter #4
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #5
Flashbacks Chapter #5
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #6
Flashbacks Chapter #6
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #7
Flashbacks Chapter #7
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #8
Flashbacks Chapter #8
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #9
Flashbacks Chapter #9
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #10
Flashbacks Chapter #10
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #11
Flashbacks Chapter #11
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #12
Flashbacks Chapter #12
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #13
Flashbacks Chapter #13
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #14
Flashbacks Chapter #14
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #15
Flashbacks Chapter #15
Mid Story Character Guide:
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #16
Flashbacks Chapter #16
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #17
Flashbacks Chapter #17
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #18
Flashbacks Chapter #18
Iolanthe Potter Chapter #19
Flashbacks Chapter #19
Iolanthe Potter: Epilogue:
Flashbacks: Epilogue:

Iolanthe Potter Chapter #3

9.9K 258 27
By Flytrap4534

"Are you a metamorphmagus by any chance?" Professor Dumbledore asked, curiosity filling his voice. If he was being truthful to himself, he wouldn't bother to have asked the question. Lydia Potter was too mischievous to have never used such a thing for her pranks. He had always known the girl was clever, after all, she skipped many classes, was in detention for hours a week, but was still top of her year. However, he had never thought that she'd make it to Tom's level. There had to be something else that had happened. Something that Tom couldn't have anticipate, couldn't have countered.

"She can't be," Andromeda Tonks answered, a hint of pride in her voice, "Metamorphmagi begin displaying signs after birth. My Nymphadora changed her hair color immediately after she was delivered."

"Andy's right," Sirius informed the headmaster, "Lydia's not a metamorph."

"Then what was that?" Professor Flitwick asked curiously. Lydia Potter was easily one of his favorite students. She was extremely clever, witty, and highly entertaining. All her pranks contained unique and often brilliant usage of spells, and he had the slightest suspicions that Lydia had crafted her own. He enjoyed the spirit she brought to the class, and unsurprisingly, charms was the only class that Lydia Potter attended consistently. He theorized it was because he was more laid back, but perhaps there were other reasons.

"I'm sure these films will answer your question eventually," the girl in question sighed, seemingly aging as she spoke, "they seem to be fond of exposing my life to the masses."

The scene cuts to all the first years being led into the chamber by the Great Hall. The children look around in awe. Iola is holding Neville's hand, and running around. She may have gotten a lot of her personality from her father, but she is still quite like her mother.

"If it isn't the little half-blood," a snobby voice pops out. Draco Malfoy walks towards the pair, flanked by his two friends Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle.

"Draco Malfoy," Iola says cooly, "must you speak so callously."

"How dare you speak towards me like that!" the blond seethed, "you're simply the half-blood spawn of a blood traitor and a mudblood. A spawn who's own parents preferred death over raising her." Gasps were amongst the first years, and all eyes were on the confrontation.

Gasps were heard in the hall of the past as well. How could a child speak so cruelly to an orphan? Why was an 11 year old already so patronizing? How dare a child dismiss the death of two great heroes, and shover their deaths in the line of duty in their child's face?

"Your child has his priorities straight," Cygnus remarks to Lucius Malfoy, "you and Narcissa raise the boy well."

"Of course Father," Narcissa agreed, "I would never allow my child to become like my blood traitor cousin and sister."

"My thoughts exactly my dear," Lucius snaked an arm around his wife's waist, "any child of House Malfoy will be a pioneer in the fight for pureblood rights."

"Any child of yours will be a right old prick," Sirius defended his sister's dignity, "and at least my sister isn't a sniveling coward. My sister dies a hero, taking down a maniacal dark wizard, while you likely brown-nose politicians until you die in shame."

"How dare you!" Lucius slides his wand out of his cane, "You dare insult the heir to the Malfoy fortune!"

"Enough Sirius!" Professor McGonagall shouted, "and put your wand away Mr. Malfoy!" The two wizards sit down, but tensions brew in the hall.

"My parents were heroes," Iola said, epitome of calm, "my parents gave their lives so every witch and wizard could live in peace. You can try and demean them all you want, but your words can never diminish the impact they made. I am proud to be my parents' child, and I will not grace you and your pureblood ideology for another second. It's simply a pity you and your family desire to be hateful, we could have been family." With that, she and Neville go to find Susan.

"That's my daughter!" Lydia pumps her hand up.

"My granddaughter handled that beautifully," Fleamont bragged to his colleagues, "and she must get it from my son-in-law. My Lyddie would have hexed the boy three times Sunday."

"She's definitely like you," Alice remarked to the boy who would marry her cousin, "Lydia and Sirius both would have flown off their rocker."

"I guess she is," Benjy whispered, "though is that really a good thing? Wouldn't it be better to be more aggressive about that ideology?"

"Highly unlikely," frank answered from beside his wife, "From what I've gathered, the war only ended in 1981. That's about six years from now. That means the war lasts 11 years. After 11 years of violence, the best way to come back from that is peace. That's likely the real reason Iola didn't go off her rocker. She was seemingly raised by war veterans, veterans who probably don't want to spark a second war. They probably taught her to react calmly to such things."

"You're probably right," Benjy sighs, "I just wish I could've been the one raising my child."

"We all wish it was you and Prongs raising that child," Sirius agrees, "and I wish I understood what Regulus's role in all of this is. I just hope these films could explain it for us."

"Follow me," Professor McGonagall arrives, and leads the children into the hall. They all stare in awe at the room, and Iola waves at a man with amber eyes and brown hair.

"Look it's Remus," Iola nudges Susan, who also waves at the man. They are all standing when the headmaster stands up. He hands a list to Professor McGonagall, who steps aside, revealing a stool and musty, old hat. 

"Congrats Remus," Peter congratulated his best friend, "seems you're a professor." Remus nodded thanks, but seemed terrified and uncertain for reasons only three at the table knew.

The hat opens it's mouth, and the following song pours out amidst cheers. 

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your black,
Your sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in ,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in ,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old ,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

"Abbot, Hannah," Mcgonagall calls out, and Susan's friend walks to the stool nervously. 

The hat is silent for a few seconds, before shouting, "HUFFLEPUFF!" amidst all the cheers.

"Bones, Susan," Iola squeezed Susan's hand before pushing her forward.

The hat took a bit longer with Susan, and Iola noticed that Susan's lips seemed to be moving, but eventually the hat called, "GRYFFINDOR!" Cheers erupted, louder than before, and Susan grinned at Neville and Iola, before sitting down at the table. Names were called, and houses placed, but Iola couldn't focus. Her eyes drifted to the ceiling. She looked at the head table, and saw a person that made her heart stop. Beside a scowling Lily Lupin was one Severus Snape. She suddenly lost all breath, and her face became pale. She leaned onto Neville, who immediately began supporting her weight.

"What happened to my daughter?!" Benjy and Lydia shouted, their faces paling almost as quick as their daughter's did on screen.

"And what does Snivellous have to do with it?" Sirius asked, with no answer being put forth.

"I can't believe I become a professor," Lily Evans whispers to herself.

"What's wrong Iola?" Neville questions his cousin worriedly. The young girl simply points at the head table, and Neville, despite his kind, soft demeanor, swears profusely.

Alice and Frank were shocked. What did Severus Snape do to cause such an anger in their child? What did he do to cause their niece to have such a strong reaction to his very presence?

"What was Dumbledore thinking?" Neville begins ranting, "allowing him onto the staff, especially when you're here."

"I wonder why Remus didn't tell Daddy," Iola wonders quietly, "you would think he would inform a man when the person directly responsible for Voldemort's targeting and killing his sister shows up at work."

A bang is heard, and Severus Snape is seen hanging in the air. A bright red light flashes in the air as Lydia Potter stands on the Gryffindor table.

"You dare," she begins soft, which was NOT a good sign coming from her, "you dare bring our rivalry into my daughter's life? You're the reason my daughter grows up without me! You-" Lydia stops mid rant, and collapses into Sirius's arms. She can't believe that that vile boy caused her daughter to be orphaned. 

Severus Snape, having been let down, grins to himself. He just knew joining the death eaters would be a good idea. He knew he was currently too young, but if he did well enough, he was sure Lucius would recommend him to the Dark Lord. His only grievance would be Lily, sweet, kind, caring Lily would be target of theirs. No worries, though, the Dark Lord would surely spare her if he rose high enough. And Lily was clearly okay. She was even a professor at Hogwarts!

Neville was about to answer, when "Longbottom, Neville," was called. He rubbed Iola's shoulders, before running up to the stool. Whispers were heard throughout the hall, but they were too quiet 

The hat was quick this time, and eagerly shouted, "GRYFFINDOR!" The gryffindors erupt into a massive cheer for Neville, and in all the excitement, he runs off with the hat. Seconds later, he sheepishly returns the hat, and goes to sit with Susan. The hall laughs at the entire interaction. 

Many names are called, until finally, "Potter, Iolanthe," is called. The hall cannot contain their whispers, and the hall is packed with conversations. "Is that Sirius Potter's girl?" "No you buffoon, she's Lydia Potter's." "The Bloody Rose had a kid?" "How does she look?" "Did she say Potter?"

"It seems Lyddie isn't the only famous one Sirius," Fleamont remarked, "some of those children were talking about you."

"I guess the world can't get enough of Sirius," Sirius boasted, "but am I really known as Sirius Potter in the future?"

"Guess so Pads," Lydia grabbed her brother's arm, "and I don't care how many times I have to say it to make it stick in your head. You are my brother. There is no argument, discussion, or debate to be had about it."

"Yes ma'am," Sirius teared up, and simply clutched Lydia tighter.

"You're certainly a statement," the hat whispers in Iola's head, causing her to tense, and begin pushing occlumency barriers, "but where to sort you? You can lower your barriers child, as there is none that can hold me back."

"Daddy always said to never allow anyone in your head," the girl argued, "especially to sentient hats. Are you sure that you're really qualified to sort people? Hats aren't normally qualified for such things."

"You're kid's a riot Benjy," Kingsley Shacklebolt comments to his friend, "and she certainly didn't get that sense of humor from you."

"She definitely gets that from her mother," Benjy agrees, and glances at said mother, who was loudly complaining to her mother, "100%"

"Why didn't I think of that Mum?" Lydia whines to her mother, "my girl has a valid point you know."

"Of course she does dear," Euphemia sighs, and smiles slightly. Her Lyddie would never change.

The hat seemingly chuckled, and said, "A wit like your mother's I see. And Sirius Black was right, you normally shouldn't allow people into your head. However, how else are you to be sorted?"

"It's Potter not Black," Iola snarled, "Daddy hates it when people referred to him as such. And maybe a test of sorts would be better. After all, you're so dirty I'm worried I'll get lice."

"Cheeky girl," the hat hat spoke on, "now that's more Sirius's style. Now, where to put you? You're certainly a brave girl and you have that certain chivalry and nobility that many gryffindor's possess. You're witty and creative, just as your father before you. In fact, you can fit into any house easily. So I'll ask you Iolanthe Potter, where would you like you go?"

"I wonder where she'll choose," Benjy whispered in Lydia's ear, causing the younger girl to blush. Benjy smiled. He could get used to this.

"I've always been under my parents' shadow," Iola whispered, "everyone immediately talking about how great either of my parents were. And I admire my parents, and hope I can do some good like them. But to really be Iolanthe Potter, I need to break away from Lydia Potter and her legacy. So that rules out gryffindor. My father, well, I never did get to meet him."

"I never meet my daughter?" Benjy asks heartbroken, "did I even know Lydia was pregnant?"

"I give birth alone?" Lydia questions, fear pooling in her gut.

"You're never alone Prongs," Sirius assures her, "if Benjy wasn't there, then I'm sure I was. I would never let you do that alone."

"And so would we," Alice promises, "although we probably weren't able to make it, seeing how close in age Iola and Neville are."

"Thank you," Lydia breathed. She wasn't sure how she'd managed to get such a loyal family, but she was happy to have them regardless.

"If I become a ravenclaw, all people will say is "She's just like her father," or "I can't believe Benjy's daughter did that." It'll never be, "Iola Potter did that." So Ravenclaw is out of the question."

"What about Slytherin?" the hat asks slyly, "you are certainly manipulative enough for it and you have their ambition."

Curiosity burnt throughout the hall. Would Iolanthe Potter become the very first Potter in Slytherin? Her mother wasn't very friendly towards them. 

"I'd love her all the same," Lydia answered the hanging question her family was too hesitant to ask aloud, "she is my little star. The only thing she could ever be to me is loved."

"Absolutely not," Iola put her foot down, figuratively. Unbeknownst to her, the outside version of herself did, in fact, stamp her foot. Rather loudly in fact.

"And why not Ms. Potter?" the hat asked, "you don't hate Slytherins."

"Of course I don't," Iola deadpanned, "Uncle Reggie was a slytherin like Andy, and he was instrumental in Voldemort's destruction. Daddy says my mother would have never been able to defeat him if Uncle Reggie hadn't told her some sort of secret information. Uncle Reggie told me he'd tell me when I'm older, but still, he did help."

"You went against the dark lord!" Sirius near shouted, "I'm so proud Reggie."

"YOU DID WHAT!?!" Orion and Walburga shouted, leveling heavy glares at their youngest.

"How could you?" Narcissa turned to her cousin, "I thought you were better than that Regulus."

"I don't know!" Regulus shouted, face confused and fearful, "I don't know why future me would do that."

"Why you litt-" Orion's mouth disappeared, and soon after he and Walburga were suddenly stunned. Lydia Potter, who had cursed Orion, was shocked to see who had beat her to stunning the couple.

"That's enough out of you two," Alphard Black smiled, waving for Lydia to sit down, "you don't need to traumatize my nephews anymore than you already have."

"Then what is your issue?" the hat asked surprised.

"My issue is the people currently there and the issues it'll cause me," Iola answered cooly, "I don't need Rita Skeeter publishing another article about me. She's given me enough issues as it is."

"The I'm certain where to place you," the hat replied, "HUFFLEPUFF!"

The Hufflepuffs forma past and future cheered, and Lydia Potter was the loudest of them all. "Go Iola!" she shouted, "Knock 'em out like Uncle Newt!"

Iola grins and sits down at the Hufflepuff table. The staff are all clapping for her, and when she passes Severus Snape, he gives a hard glare. Iola ignores him. She wouldn't give him the pleasure of acknowledging him. 

"Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts!," Dumbledore announces, face smiling, "Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And to begin, Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!" 

The hall is seen laughing, and many quesyions about the headmaster's sanity are asked. However, Dumbledore continues, "We must offer congratulations to our Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers, Professors Remus and Lily Lupin. They will be celebrating the birth of their first child come December." 

Claps and congratulations were heard in both great halls. "Congrats Remus!" Peter Pettigrew clapped his best friend, "you're going to be a father!" Remus, on the other hand, was freaking out. How could future him allow a child to get his horrible curse? How could he in good conscience marry Lily, sweet, empathetic Lily, and doom the already socially outcasted girl to a life of loneliness.

Lily, on  her end, was thrilled. She'd always liked Remus, despite Sev's odd theories about him. So to hear she married him and would have a child, was some of the best news she could receive.

"Therefore, I am pleased to introduce you to her temporary replacement, Professor Severus Snape!" At those last words, the hall descended into chaos.

"How could he hire him?" "He was a death eater!" "He told you-know-who the prophecy!" "He's the one who got Lydia Potter killed!" "Oh the poor girl. How could Dumbledore hire him when she's here?" "Why is he out of Azkaban anyways?" "Good question actually."

The hall was shocked. Clearly Severus Snape was not any more liked in the future than he is now. No one was really too surprised, given the boy's nasty attitude, but they hadn't expected such a passionate hatred of the boy. Clearly the kid had issues. Big ones. The Potters and their family were going to comment, but the film stated quickly, and they found themselves unable to speak.

"Enough!" Dumbledore made a few bangs from his wand, "Professor Snape has been granted freedom after testifying against many other death eaters. He is a brilliant potioneer, and you will give him the respect he deserves."

"Oh we just did Headmaster!" a pair of red-haired twins shout, "he deserves exactly that." 

"The next person to say another word about our professor," Dumbledore warns, all of his usual gentleness aside, "will join Messers Weasleys in detention." The hall was tense, and everyone in the room knew that the next day would bring wrath. The wrath of the Wizarding War Veterans.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37K 725 44
What if there was more to the Prophecy of Harry Potter? Dumbledore has more than just memories to share with Harry this year. Love was the one thing...
438K 19.8K 48
Betrayal, pain and anger were all Adelaide Potter-Black knew. After the battle of Hogwarts, Adelaide thought it was about time she lived the life sh...
20.6K 847 35
โ› ๐—ช๐—˜'๐—Ÿ๐—Ÿ ๐—•๐—˜ ๐—” ๐—™๐—œ๐—ก๐—˜ ๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—ก๐—˜ โœ โช ยทหš เผ˜ ยฐห–โœงหš * เณƒ โบห– โธโธ หšโ‚Šเผ‰ โซ in which mavis black was known all around hogwarts, but mostly for her nam...
13.8K 334 29
As Azkaban's icy walls closed around Sirius Black, accused of the heinous murders of James and Lily Potter, little did he know that the life of his w...