curiosity kills | lee minho

By hyunjinsiconicmole

Crush Series #2 in which satisfaction brought it back started: 03 january 2021 ended: More

o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t

t w e n t y - n i n e

8.7K 349 612
By hyunjinsiconicmole

c h a p t e r 29

The next morning arrived, revealing a sky that had finally cleared after a seemingly never ending night of rain. However, the burden of the news that had recently been delivered weighed heavily on the group. One heavier than most. The rain had ceased, but the atmosphere remained somber, mirroring their collective mood. The air, though no longer filled with the pitter-patter of raindrops, still carried a certain heaviness-an unspoken weight that had settled upon their shoulders. They moved through the morning with a quiet deliberation, granting themselves the space and time needed to let the reality of the news sink in. Despite the clear skies, a sense of uncertainty and unease still lingered.

In the aftermath of the news that had been revealed, a palpable tension hung in the air, causing everyone to tread cautiously around Gyeoul. Conversations became guarded, words carefully chosen to avoid touching any sensitive topics that might worsen the situation. Gyeoul was not sure if she appreciated the gesture. It made her rather guilty that everyone was affected by it. She wondered if they would act the same if she had never met Minho.

Moreover, the absence of Minho, who had departed before the sun had fully risen, did no one any favor. His sudden departure had stolen away any opportunity for an explanation, leaving the group in a state of uncertainty and speculation. To compound the distressing turn of events, Aria was also nowhere to be found, leading the group to draw a sorrowful conclusion that they had left together. The silence that settled upon the house felt heavy and laden with unspoken questions. Each member of the group, acutely aware of the delicate nature of the situation, chose their words with utmost care, hesitant to add further discomfort to an already strained atmosphere.

Jisung seemed to miss the memo though. It was fine. They appreciated any form of comedic relief.

"Chan, did I ever tell you how great your cooking skills are?" Jisung hollered over the counter bar.

Chan chuckled. "No." He said, cracking an egg.

"So why cook?" Jisung asked in a sickeningly sweet voice.

Jisung dodged as Chan gave a whole new meaning to flipping pancakes.

"How do you take your pancakes?" Chan asked Gyeoul with a plate of pancakes on one hand and maple syrup on the other.

Gyeoul stole a glance at Felix who discreetly spit out an egg shell. She returned her gaze at Chan who was sporting a proud smile. "Non-crunchy please."

A chorus of 'me too's followed.

Chan put a hand over his hip, taunting everyone with the spatula. "Didn't you all know that eggshells are a source of calcium?" He asked with curled lips.

"Yeah, I'm settling with my milk." Areum rasied her glass before leaving the table, ultimately deciding that she would rather starve than eat Chan's flour decorated eggshells.

To add to the growing list of misfortune, the head owner of the house, Seoyun, was no where to be found. Apparently, she was out of the country visiting her husband--Areum, Seungmin, and... Minho's father. Thus, the lack of any semblance of hope for edible breakfast. As to why Chan was left in charge of the spatula remains a mystery.

"It looks like the road's been cleared." Seungmin entered the dining room, reading the headline on his cellphone.

"Thank heavens! Anyone want to get real food?" Changbin was already halfway through the door with the keys of the ridiculous ice cream truck.

Almost everyone clambered their way out the house. Even Chan.

And then there were two.

"Are you not going with them?" Gyeoul asked the younger.

He peered out the window and saw how everyone took turns in entering the truck. "Why is there an ice cream truck in our driveway?" He asked, confused.

"Didn't they tell you? They're about to pull off the biggest heist in history."

"In an ice cream truck?"

"Sandra Bullock succeeded with a food truck." Gyeoul said as a matter of factly, referencing Ocean's 8.

Seungmin acknowledged it with a nod before taking a seat, oblivious of the calcium induced pancakes. He sliced up a piece as he shook his head. "No, I'm not going. I have somewhere to be." He said, brows furrowed. He covered his mouth before plucking out a... clove of garlic? He set it on the plate's edge, resorting to maple syrup instead. "How about you?" He asked back, taking a spoonful.

Gyeoul was flabbergasted, whether with the clove or syrup, she doesn't know. It was still the second most surprising thing of the week. "No. I don't really have the appetite." She answered with a sigh.

"Would you like to come with me? I'm going to a candy store." He offered, licking his spoon.

Gyeoul was not sure if he was asking her out of pity. Was he perhaps feeling sorry for her and asked out of courtesy but didn't really want her to agree? Although the innocence and lack of sympathy in his eyes gave her the answers.

She took a deep breath. "Sure, why not?"

•••

The store's bell jingled, signalling their arrival. Nestled on a quiet street corner, the candy store, though small, exuded a charming, family-owned aura untouched by commercialization. Its faded paint and slightly outdated interior hinted at its enduring presence over time, yet it maintained a modest cleanliness.

"Did we really have to go all this way for candy?" Gyeoul asked, examining both the store and the deserted road they had just come from.

Seungmin who already disappeared behind one of the shelves answered with rustling plastics being thrown in a basket. "They're the only ones in town who still have my favorites."

Upon entry, Gyeoul noticed that the store still offered sweets that are pulled out from most grocery shelves. It made her wonder how Seungmin discovered the place since it took quite an effort to reach the area because it was deep between alleys; far away from the bustling streets.

Scanning the rotating rack, Gyeoul hummed in faint surprise seeing the sweets be not expired. "Well, my mother said 'Never take candy from strangers' and not 'Never go into suspicious candy stores that is operated in questionable alleys'." She murmured, already unbothered.

"Your mother seems like a smart lady." A new voice had said behind her.

Due to the wariness, the packet of sour patch she had been holding was suddenly in the air and into the stranger's right eye socket.

"Ow." He said, ironically with a smile.

Gyeoul immediately let out a huff of relief, recognizing the familiar face. "You see, normally I would apologize but even you agree that this is a sketchy neighborhood."

He laughed as he picked up the discarded sour patch from the floor. "Okay, apology accepted." He said nonetheless with a gentle smile.

Gyeoul chuckled before retrieving the sour patch from his extended hand. "Thanks..."

Shit! What was his name again?

Mystery boy raised an eyebrow, already catching that Gyeoul had forgotten his name.

"...bro." Gyeoul finished awkwardly.

"Bro?" He echoed, amused.

"'Sup bro?" She answered, cooly.

"Try again." He said, still with a smile.

Gyeoul had already given up. "Damn, Jafar! Why torture me?"

Another laugh. "It's Juyeon. You were this close." He gave an illustration by leaving a small space between his thumb and pointer finger.

"Hey I got the J and two syllables so I was this close." She gave a smaller space.

Suddenly, they were browsing the candy shelves together.

"I haven't seen you here before." Juyeon started, his hands intertwined behind his back, trailing behind her.

"You're here often?" Gyeoul asked back.

Juyeon pursed his lips. "My cousin actually owns the store." He gestured behind her just as they turned a corner where they are in view of the counter where customer's could pay.

The said cousin had her long hair in two loose braids, making her seem younger than she already was. Round glasses framed her small face. She was pretty like her cousin.

Gyeoul saw how Seungmin's face was lit up in delight, telling the girl something she could not quite hear. "I think your cousin also owns my friend." She said, seeing Seungmin's ears turn red.

Juyeon nodded in agreement. "That boy is always here."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Almost every other day. I'm surprised he still has his teeth intact."

Gyeoul returned her gaze to the younger two. The girl was already putting the sweets inside a paper bag as Seungmin attempted to prolong the conversation. She was not sure if the girl was ignoring him or simply shy. The younger girl bowed with a small smile as a farewell as Seungmin took the paper bag and returned hers with a sheepish one.

Gyeoul shrugged, deciding not to meddle the ever growing bud of love. "Sticks and stones may break his bones but your cousin's candy excites him."

"Aren't you getting anything?" Seungmin asked just as he approached Gyeoul.

"Nah, I'm good." She said, already satisfied with Seungmin's sweet antics. She noticed how Seungmin was eyeing Juyeon next to her. "Oh, by the way, this is Joystick." She nudged a thumb his direction.

The two boys were confused. Juyeon sucked his teeth in mock annoyance.

"Just kidding. It's Jeremiah." She cleared. "Let's go?" She asked, Seungmin who just nodded. He did not even greet Juyeon and just spun on his heel, walking ahead of Gyeoul.

Before Gyeoul could follow, Juyeon pulled her back by the wrist.

"I'm just playing. I know it's Juyeon." She started with a smirk.

Juyeon shook his head in disbelief. "It's not that. I was actually wondering if I could get your number this time?"

Gyeoul was actually stunned. She recalled how he had asked for her number during the fair only to be stopped by Minho. That's right. Because of Minho. And then suddenly, all of the previous night's events came crashing down like rainfall. Suddenly, she was feeling suffocated again. Suddenly, it was cold again. Suddenly, her ears were ringing again. And then, she met Juyeon's expecting gaze. She realized that she was grateful for him. She was surprised that he was able to distract her even if it was only for a short while. Suddenly, there where no other reason as to why she shouldn't give her number. The doubts that had clouded her mind before dissipated, swept away by a newfound or maybe just a desperate sense of trust. It was as if Juyeon's ability to distract her thoughts had unearthed a reservoir of courage within her. And in that moment, Gyeoul knew that she wanted to take a chance, to explore the possibility of a connection with someone who had the power to make her forget, even if only temporarily, the weight of her own burdens. These stirred up feelings are merely theoretical but Gyeoul could not find it in her to make sense with what she was feeling anymore.

"Sure, why not?"

(a/n: should i change my writing style? are there too many descriptions? anyway its 4am again wtf i seem to write better when its at the crack of dawn. anyway stay safe and healthy everyone ! <3)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 6.2K 34
❝ no one calls me cute, okay sweetie ❞ ❝ sorry, I'm just an honest guy, and you're adorable ❞ Yang Jeongin X Reader Started: 23rd July 2020 Ended: 16...
49.6K 2.3K 10
"jisung said my kisses heal everything." -in which jisung craves for hyunjin's kisses. started: 17 october 2021 finished: 25 october 2021 #6 in hyuns...
97.8K 3.8K 63
I swear I'll love you in a different way. - chan. °•s e m i c h a t a u•° 𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑝𝑖𝑟𝑒𝑑 𝑏𝑦 𝐴 𝐷𝑖𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑛𝑡 𝑊𝑎𝑦 - 𝐷𝐽 𝑆𝑛𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑓𝑡...
95.8K 4.9K 48
꒰ jilix ꒱ - 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘫𝘪𝘴𝘶𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘪𝘮𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘨𝘨𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘬𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘶𝘱. 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘢 𝘴...