After

By ughshams

"...they lived happily ever after" or "there was happiness. and they did live after.." a deeper glimpse of si... More

00| Lately
01| Catch
02| Unpredictable
03| Lockdown
05| Stranded
06| Days
07| Racist
08| Evenings
09| Glitter
11| Circus
12| Instagram
13| Notorious
14| Mumma
15| Guilty
16. Flashback

04| Damages

441 42 12
By ughshams

04| Damages

I shut the video off, stretching my neck to release the tension built in my muscles. I could still read the messages propping up on Google Meet for final confirmations. My eyes fell on the wall clock realizing it was 3:17 already. I was sure my team must be hating on me for ruining their sleep. "Guys, don't loathe me for the heavy workload coming your way all of a sudden, I'm sure it's a matter of a few days before we go back to normal but I need your cooperation till we figure out."

"We understand Ma'am, it's our job." I heard replies one after the other before I bid them farewell for a few hours. Unlike Arsalan, I was no workaholic. He'd wake up every day with the intention to work his ass off, he'd pay attention to every article that was being published under his brand, he'd personally curate content that will have an impact on the society, at the same time he'd ensure he regularly visits mills and quality checks the grains and spices before exporting, he'd deal with the clients, especially the foreign investments one on one as much as possible and never forget to take an update on how the hotels are running on hourly basis.

It was beyond me to understand how he could invest himself in multiple businesses equally and get a result out of it all. I understood that the newspaper was his passion and his brainchild, that he built it from scratch, to an evening daily in Indore to the most reputed, trusted and authentic in the entire country in a matter of few years but he never failed his father's inheritance too. He maintained the legacy he received and not only widened the distribution across states in India but brought international buyers for the produce of his mills. His hotel, Hemera, was amongst the top even in Delhi and was soon going to open in Udaipur. Arsalan had also inaugurated an hospital in his father's honour a few years back.

To say the least, Sithara was super proud of Arsalan, he was truly an inspiration and doing great in life but as his wife, it only worried her about his health & well being. She knew the amount of attention and efforts Arsalan put into his work was borderline obnoxious. She did not like that he had so little time to spend with his family but what she didn't appreciate more was the stress that came along. It literally made him grow old, she could see it in the tiny wrinkles that appeared sometimes when he frowned to his swollen eyes. It made her sad.

Sithara had always valued the sense of self-esteem & satisfaction that working, being busy and independent brought but she evenly cared about her life after work. She found herself happier when she was a wife, a mother, a child, a friend. Maybe that was what being a woman was. Maybe that was what made men different from women. Maybe more women in the economy today was why we were talking of work-life-balance in the first place.

She put an end to her thoughts when she heard her children still scream and play outside. She stood up in a jiffy, furious at them. She thought they must have slept by now but here they were, running behind each other with guns in  their hands.

"Why aren't you in bed already???" She questioned firmly, holding onto Arryn's hand first before he could escape. Sithara glared at Athiya and Aadya.

"Amma nobody is sleeping in the house." Aadya meekly answered, her fingers tweaking with the hem of her dress.

"It's so much fun." Athiya added.

"To bed right now." She did not respond to their statements.

"Amma no, please. Ten minutes more. Let us finish this round." Arryn tried to get rid of her clutch.

"Tomorrow." She hurled her two girls.

"Mami please. Mumma helped us in this game. She gave us permission." Zayan spoke.

"It's too late. Continue when you guys wake up." She spoke more politely to him but disappointed in Daniya. How could she be this careless? Not that she was working or anything.

"No, Amma." Arryn ran before Sithara could react. "Arryn!" She shrieked, chasing but Arsalan held him up in his arms preventing him from going too far.

"Never try this again." She glared at him, stopping at Arsalan. He hid his face in his father's neck.

'Easy.' Arsalan mouthed and it only infuriated her. She wasn't as calm as him with children, rather she could not be 'cause eventually it always rolled down on her share of duties somehow.

"Arryn, this is no behavior. Good boys don't trouble their mother." He spoke to his son and Sithara rolled her eyes, murmering 'your father is enough' under her breath but Arsalan heard nevertheless.

"Abba, ugh." He winced. "Amma will be angrier now." Arryn was the smartest of the three children. He knew how to take advantage of both of his parents unlike the two daughters who had their own favorites. "She won't be, come on?"

"No, Abba. I will sleep with you.."

"Arryn enough with this drama??" Sithara huffed, moving to take him back but Arsalan held her hand putting it down. "He'll pester you, I'll manage him."

Sithara followed the girls who cribbed how it was unfair that Arryn got more chances to sleep with them than them.

@Sithara revising my middle school lessons to test children ah

The three ladies of the Azhar house laughed out  loud and Sithara's heart instantly filled with warmth. It took away all the pressure from her mind for a second. She loved it when everything was easy between Daniya, Ammi and her. They were literally the best trio, filled with immense love and respect for each other that the little friction hardly mattered.

"Feels like it is Ramadan." Ammi spoke as the house was still alive at four in the morning. "I like it better when you, children and Arsalan are home." Sithara smiled at her.

"Ammi!" Daniya piqued. "You never value me, I ignore it but it does not mean I don't feel bad."

"Get sad about real things Daniya, like your children not sleeping on time." Sithara remarked. She had actually thought Daniya would look after the children while she was working but she cared the least.

Before she could hear her reply, her eyes met with her husband but what caught her attention was the young girl walking down the stairs with him. She was glowing as if she religiously followed her skin care routine, she wore a pink headband which didn't look too girly or cringe rather went well with her neatly pressed night suit. She had her nails shaped, filed & painted and  her body curves all finely toned. She was beautiful to look at to say the least, making Sithara feel glad that she had been more rigorous with her gym and yoga over the last year because there had come a point when she had stopped giving a damn about her skin and body but regretted and hated that phase sooner. She was doing better but the girl made her feel so insecure.

"Sithara uhh.." Her mother-in-law chirped. "I forgot to introduce you to Inaya." She put her hand on her back, patting it.

"She is my cousin's daughter. They live in Dubai but she is studying here in IIM-Indore." Ammi smiled at her.

Sithara greeted her with a smile and small hug. "I called her here to live with us. What will she do alone on campus?" Ammi elaborated.

She acknowledged. "I'm sorry you didn't even know I'm coming.."

"No, no, not at all. It's Ammi's house and you will be safe here with us."

"She is my Arsalan's wife, very very sweet.." Ammi gave her a side hug. Sithara giggled but stared at her husband. He didn't appreciate her eniygh.

"Let me know if you need help with anything, feel home." Sithara spoke to Inaya.

@Sithara ...

Sithara finally got the chance to enter her bedroom. It was a long long day, a sigh escaped her mouth at the thought. Arryn was sleeping in their bed occupying a very weird and disproportionate share of the bed. She walked up to him, putting the blanket over him as she felt the chills of the AC.

She wondered where Arsalan must be when her phone rang. It was her mother. Sithara immediately felt guilty. She had been calling her ever since the news of lockdown broke out but she couldn't attend to it because of one thing or the other.

"Hello." She answered and heard her mother gasp her name in relief. "You worried me Sithara uh? Why weren't you talking my calls?"

"Amma." Sithara responded. "I'm so sorry." She walked to the balcony to shut the glass window but stopped at the sight of Arsalan.

He stood there, smoking a cigarette.
A

rsalan read her disappointed face when she came nearer but did not react to her.

"This is no behavior. You scarred me Sithara." Her mother's voice was loud enough to be heard out of the mobile.

"Amma..I know.."

"Stop with this Amma thing first." Her mother snapped at her and Arsalan grimaced. He sometimes couldn't believe Sithara was her daughter. He found her mother full of prejudice.

"Mumma I'm sorry. One thing or the other came up. I was busy." She replied.

"You could have texted." Sithara's mother scolded. "Forget it, where are you right now?? You must know about the lockdown?? I called to ask you to come to Indore.. Delhi has so many cases. I don't know if it's possible for you to come home now?? I feel so helpless."

"Mumma, mumma it's okay. Stop being so anxious. Breathe. I'm fine."

"What fine?? You are so far? I will always be thinking about you??"

"No Mumma. I came to Delhi last night."

"What?????" Her mother was astonished. "When?? You didn't tell me? We talked???"

"Yes, I know. We talked in the evening but Arsalan booked the flight later."

"How could you be so careless Sithara? You could have informed us. Your father and I had been so tensed ever since and you weren't even receiving our calls."

'So dramatic.' Arsalan mouthed, rolling his eyes and taking a puff.

"Mumma I know. I regret it. I can understand you must be so worked up. But Arsalan made a sudden plan. One of the newspaper sources warned him about the lockdown so we came here, considering Abba's health. I literally had no time since then. I had to pack for everybody, I couldn't even sleep properly..."

Arsalan raised his eyes at her last words as if she was lying, but she disregarded him and continued to complain to her mother. "I had a headache the entire time, looked after children, then so much came up in the office and NGO all of a sudden with the news that I just got free to come to my room.."

"Arsalan bhi mujhe samaj nahi aata." (I don't understand Arsalan either.) Her mother said. "He puts you in problematic situations." Sithara glanced up at her husband and he stared into her eyes waiting for her response to his praise but she didn't say a word in defence.

"Though I'm glad you are here...it feels he made the right decision. All of what is happening is frightening me..."

"Yes, I can't seem to wrap my mind around what's happening either.."

"Come home. I don't know how you will be able to stay in their house for so long? They'll cook all kinds of animals in the name of nutrition & health despite what's happening.."

"Hmm." Sithara deliberately spoke up at this knowing this was one thing her husband can never ever compromise on. "I will see if I can come tomorrow."

"Yes, I'll send Shashwat. He knows people in administration, your in-law's house is only half an hour away, he can come pick you up."

"Hnn.."

"It'll be best if you are with us, if we die then at least you will be here, you are our only daughter." She added and Sithara recoiled.

"Shut up Mumma. Don't talk shit. And please, please take care of yourself and Papa."

"Hmm.. Papa takes care of me and himself.." She corrected her and Sithara chuckled. She loved her parents and she loved the marriage they shared. It was so pure and full of love. "What are you doing so early though??"

"Nothing, I couldn't sleep because of you."

"Aww. I'm sorry. I'll call tomorrow."

"Yes, take care of yourself and take care of your children. And tell me, I will send Shashwat."

"Yes Mumma. Love you, bye." She hung up.

"Arsalan!!" Sithara wheezed as he held her hand, not letting her go.

"Don't entertain this even for a second." He told her.

"Entertain what??"

"You know what I'm talking about."

"No, I don't know." She played.

"My children are not going any where." He twisted his words. He was Arsalan, he would never say what she wanted to hear if she threw an attitude at him. He found it annoying how she had been over reacting the entire day. It wasn't that big of an issue. "Get that fixed in your mother's head."

"Okay, fine. Find them a nanny then." She got angrier at his answer and left.

@Sithara my rarely available for pictures husband

Sithara quickly did her night care and changed into comfortable clothes before responding to the new official messages while hating that she only had a few hours of sleep secured now. She knew she would have to wake up on time as she had a lot on her plate to get done.

She shifted her son towards her side of the bed making space for her better half who was still out, probably taking another smoke. It irked her but her ego didn't allow her to call him inside. He had been distant all through the day.

"Sithara, sleep comfortably." He softly stated bending over to pull Arryn to the other side. She was almost at the edge. The children had grown up and this bed was small to fit three.

"No Arsalan." She voiced. "It's fine. He'll wake up. You sleep."

"No, you rest. I'll take the next room." He said, his only intention being their comfort and ease. He had heard Sithara say that she had not been able to have complete rest and secondly it was not wise to disturb Arryn or else he will make it difficult for Sithara the next day. Arsalan knew she'd have a lot of work coming her way from the office and she also had spondylitis issues. But Sithara did not take it well. 

"Okay." She sat up. "I didn't know we will have to do this too." She raged. "Why are you going? I'll go if you don't want to sleep with me."

"Sithara why do you have to be so childish??" He held her hand when she tried to pick her pillow. "I'm not trying to start a fight.."

"Really?? What is this I'll take the next room thing?????" Her eyes moistened and Arsalan couldn't believe it affected her so deeply. Silly things had an impact on her. It was so Sithara to spoil her mood on a frivolous thing, keep him away and then rot feeling bad about the gap. She'd tolerate everybody being mean to her but always be polite but with Arsalan she only wanted to be pampared.

"Because we can't fit in, see.." He asked her to notice. Their bed in Delhi was huge but not this one. He rubbed his thumb over her cheeks.

"You brought us here so now give up on the luxuries." She demanded. "Adjust here in whatever you are getting."

Arsalan half smirked and Sithara knew it appeared when he mocked her. "Cool."

He came closer, capturing her lips. It wasn't a peck but a full mouth kiss which Sithara couldn't let go. She wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him more access to her mouth as he suckled on her tongue. Sithara engulfed his upper lip before he withdrew & peppered kisses down her neck, knowing right where her soft spots lies. Her neck craned relishing the tickles as if she wasn't mad at him at all.

Arsalan stopped for a second and gazed into her eyes but Sithara did not heed by kissing his lips again before smothering his collar bones with kisses. Arsalan chuckled as she could feel her desperate and needy as her hands rolled all over his chest, with her mouth licking, sucking, kissing him, sure that she would leave a mark.

His hands dropped down to her left breast, rubbing his fingers over her nipple and biting it. He was over her, right between her legs, with his crotch grinding against her entrance but Arryn changed his position with a groan catching them both off gaurd.

Arsalan shrugged and the two of them carefully withdrew from each other at the realisation that they can no more be ignorant and have sex in their children's precense even when they were sleeping. The children had grown up and they could not corrupt their mind with stupid lust of theirs.

Both had firmly decided that lately when they heard Arryn's friend give an awkward description of her parents doing something weird while making noises which was nothing but sex. They discussed that after a point even they knew as a child that their parents did something fishy so it was better to protect their children from googling unhealthy information.

"Do you still want me to sleep here??????" Arsalan confirmed.

Sithara glared at him. "I proved." He cheekily added.

"Go!" She turned over and pulled the quilt above herself and Arsalan knew he had no option but to stay here.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.8K 2.3K 21
They both are married, happy and love each other.....care for each other....cannot live without each other..... Then why they are distant with each o...
153K 4.9K 48
"Love" - It just happens. It doesn't wait for the right time, the right place, or the right circumstance. " Hadh se zayda kuch bhi accha nahi hota, P...
91.4K 4.7K 63
My everything!!!
538K 44.5K 77
This is the continuation of Love Story {Sidnaaz} This story will focus on Sidnaaz Beautiful Life after their marriage. How the couple handle all the...